Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 27, 2017, 7:29pm
I hope to be there tomorrow -        

http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/reserves-can-tie-up-the-title-3645614.aspx

Posted by: ginnywings, March 27, 2017, 7:56pm; Reply: 1
Nuts! I can't make it tomorrow. Would have liked to have gone to that.
Posted by: Bigdog, March 27, 2017, 8:04pm; Reply: 2
Nice to see we've got a competitive reserve team..
Posted by: Supersixty, March 27, 2017, 8:36pm; Reply: 3
shocking how Gowling's being handled, if he cant make the ressies pay the man off and let him get on with his life
Posted by: moosey_club, March 27, 2017, 9:01pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Supersixty
shocking how Gowling's being handled, if he cant make the ressies pay the man off and let him get on with his life

most obvious case of "fro" envy i have ever seen.
Posted by: Mariner_09, March 27, 2017, 9:55pm; Reply: 5
Can only think that Gowling's said something that hasn't gone down well with Bignot. He's a better player than Gunning that's for sure!
Posted by: Hagrid, March 27, 2017, 10:12pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Supersixty

Well said, he's treated this club well and is a solid centre half, doesnt deserve to be treated in this way
Posted by: Maringer, March 27, 2017, 10:16pm; Reply: 7
Hopefully, he's got something lined up for next season already. I'd expect he's got another couple of good seasons at Conference level in him. In the interim, at least he will be getting paid even if he's not getting any time on the pitch.
Posted by: Grantley, March 27, 2017, 10:16pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Mariner_09
Can only think that Gowling's said something that hasn't gone down well with Bignot. He's a better player than Gunning that's for sure!

How do you know this?
Posted by: ginnywings, March 27, 2017, 10:35pm; Reply: 9
How is Gowling being treated badly? The manager,rightly or wrongly, doesn't rate him and he is out of the picture and out the club at the end of the season no doubt. We owe him nothing and he's still getting paid. There's no sentiment in football and it looks like the young 'uns are getting game time for the ressies. Can't see the problem myself.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, March 28, 2017, 12:38am; Reply: 10
putting 2 and 2 together and getting 222, it might be to do with his businesses. I doubt they run themselves so suddenly needing to be at the club for extra classroom training would make that difficult.
Posted by: Supersixty, March 28, 2017, 7:53am; Reply: 11
Ginny, Bignot bangs on in the press about how he treats players right etc, then totally freezes the bloke out, bit double standards ?
Posted by: Tommy, March 28, 2017, 9:14am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Supersixty
Ginny, Bignot bangs on in the press about how he treats players right etc, then totally freezes the bloke out, bit double standards ?

What do you mean "freezes the bloke out"?

Only 11 players can play and only 18 can be in the matchday squad. So some are not going to be involved.

Any manager will leave out the players he doesn't rate as much as others.

It's not freezing out, he's just not playing. For what it's worth I wouldn't be playing him either.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, March 28, 2017, 9:29am; Reply: 13
My understanding was he was free to look for a new club, unfortunately for Gowling he got injured, which scuppered any move.  
Posted by: sam gy, March 28, 2017, 10:22am; Reply: 14
I like Josh and he's been a good servant to the club. BUT...

He was not in great form when playing at the beginning of the season, he is no spring chicken (harsh, but fair?) and his contract is up.

Our defence is one of the best in the league.

Pearson and Collins shouldn't be dropped.

Boyce has worked hard, looked a lot better in the last few months when given a chance, AND is with us next season.

Anyone writing Gunning off is just ridiculous at the minute. He has a good pedigree and has barely played at centre back for us yet.

We need to be trying to get more youth players through the system and giving them a chance - so whats the point in playing Gowling ahead of some promising youngsters in reserve matches?
Posted by: sam gy, March 28, 2017, 10:24am; Reply: 15
Reading that back sounds harsh on him. I still think he is a solid centre back and seems to be a good bloke. The stars just aren't aligned for him this season, and obviously he wont be with us next season.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, March 28, 2017, 10:32am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Mariner_09

By all accounts, & backed up by the Sunday press, Gunning was MOM for town when played in his best position, So for me who is, or is not the better player, is still to be determined as we have seen very little of Gunning in his preferred position. He did OK, except for Crewe, when he was part of 3 man defence so lets give the guy a decent chance before casting him aside.

Anything relating to why Gowling is not appearing is based on rumour and speculation as for all we know both parties may have agreed that Josh can have a break whilst looking for another club as I am pretty sure he does not live locally and this may save travel, expenses be better for his personal life etc.
Posted by: jock dock tower, March 28, 2017, 10:36am; Reply: 17
The only folk who know for sue what has happened to Gowling will be the player himself, and the manager. That's exactly how it should be as well. We can all speculate about fall outs / not being good enough / too old etc but what happens in the dressing room stays there, and for good reason.
Posted by: Mariners_15, March 28, 2017, 12:19pm; Reply: 18
He seems to have been frozen out a bit but have to say I agree with MB really don't think he's Football league standard. Still think he has a couple of seasons left at a top end non-league club though and really hope he get's sorted quickly as I thought he was great last season and seems a top guy so good luck Josh!
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 28, 2017, 12:30pm; Reply: 19
Marcus gave Josh a run in the side and thought he was not up to it,

BUT

AND

I have no inside information I think Josh said he wanted to go into coaching when he finishes playing,

As far as I know he is helping out with the youths and taking his coaching badges,

Then again I could be wrong,

BUT

I do not think I am,

Sorry for the long post

BUT

I am bored and can not get about,

Because

Of my bloody knees.
Posted by: Mariner93er, March 28, 2017, 12:46pm; Reply: 20
Ultimately, if he's made his mind up that Gowling is definitely not going to be in his plans, then what's the point in even playing him in the reserves games. It's not even as if there is the slight possibility he might get played, there's so many centre backs to cover injuries. It therefore makes sense to either play our youngsters or other reserve centre backs in the reserve games.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 28, 2017, 12:53pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Mariner93er
Ultimately, if he's made his mind up that Gowling is definitely not going to be in his plans, then what's the point in even playing him in the reserves games. It's not even as if there is the slight possibility he might get played, there's so many centre backs to cover injuries. It therefore makes sense to either play our youngsters or other reserve centre backs in the reserve games.

What would happen if Collins and Pearson both jump for the ball and clash heads ?

They could both be out for 2 weeks and Gowling would find himself needed for cover at the very least,

You have to look at all eventualities mate.
Posted by: Civvy at last, March 28, 2017, 12:54pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Mariner93er

Presume you think the same for Disley then ?  
Posted by: Mariner93er, March 28, 2017, 1:56pm; Reply: 23
Well clearly Disley is in his plans in some form, whether it be only for this season or not, otherwise he wouldn't be playing. And if Collins and Pearson got injured, we have Boyce and Gunning and also jones as back up.
Posted by: oldun, March 28, 2017, 2:07pm; Reply: 24
I feel sure MB and Josh have had an honest conversation and Josh knows where he stands. He always looks fairly relaxed on match days, supporting the team and chatting to fans.
Posted by: golfer, March 28, 2017, 2:09pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from grimsby pete

What would happen if Collins and Pearson both jump for the ball and clash heads ?

They could both be out for 2 weeks and Gowling would find himself needed for cover at the very least,

You have to look at all eventualities mate.

Aye, and if pigs could fly or if Macca could save a free kick. The real reason is Bignots been in a foul mood ever since he went to the barbers and asked for the same haircut as Gowling.
Posted by: Sigone, March 28, 2017, 2:36pm; Reply: 26
1-0 Hough
Posted by: Hagrid, March 28, 2017, 2:36pm; Reply: 27
1-0 to the mariners! we're gonna win the league 8) 8)
Posted by: Sigone, March 28, 2017, 2:42pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Hagrid
1-0 to the mariners! we're gonna win the league 8) 8)

Chesterfield 2-2 with hartlepool
Posted by: marinerrick, March 28, 2017, 3:13pm; Reply: 29
i know that Josh had an injury worry/op as i know the bloke who gave him a lift to the hospital begining of 2017, dont know ins and outs but just he had been in for op
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 28, 2017, 3:50pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Mariner93er
Well clearly Disley is in his plans in some form, whether it be only for this season or not, otherwise he wouldn't be playing. And if Collins and Pearson got injured, we have Boyce and Gunning and also jones as back up.

MB Has already said that Disley could leave so it's highly unlikely he will be in MB's plans for next season.
Posted by: psgmariner, March 28, 2017, 3:51pm; Reply: 31
3 mins away from the title...
Posted by: psgmariner, March 28, 2017, 3:51pm; Reply: 32
From the tweets it seems Keeble is ace. Any relation to Brian?
Posted by: psgmariner, March 28, 2017, 3:54pm; Reply: 33
All over.

Better find the keys for the trophy cabinet.
Posted by: Sigone, March 28, 2017, 3:55pm; Reply: 34
Champions(100)
Posted by: Hagrid, March 28, 2017, 3:58pm; Reply: 35
well done boys, any silverware is welcomed!
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 28, 2017, 4:29pm; Reply: 36

I really enjoyed that in glorious sunshine, hard to pick anyone out as they all played well for Town but Yussuf and Bolarinwa's speed caused Rotherham a few problems.
To be fair to Rotherham they also had their moments in the game.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/grimsby-town-1-rotherham-united-0-reserves-result-mariners-win-central-league-title/story-30233727-detail/story.html
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 28, 2017, 5:55pm; Reply: 37
Well done to all.

With a bit of luck we might be celebrating the 1st team as champions next season.  
Posted by: supertown, March 28, 2017, 5:59pm; Reply: 38
Well done reserves
Posted by: jaygy, March 28, 2017, 6:08pm; Reply: 39
Anyone been past Stagecoach depot to see if the open top bus is being readied? 😉

Seriously though this does show that we have a strength in depth and have players pushing hard for their chance at first team action. It's a long way from only a couple of seasons ago when we had no reserve side at all
Posted by: Grimal, March 28, 2017, 6:14pm; Reply: 40
Pleasant afternoon sat out in the sun watching the Lads beating Rovrum and lifting the title.
Posted by: lukeo, March 28, 2017, 7:07pm; Reply: 41
well done all players involved in any game for the reserves this season .. Would be nice to see Rose get some game time last game of the season, seems to feature in and around the reserves alot
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 28, 2017, 7:22pm; Reply: 42
How did McAllister & Berrett do? Serious question.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, March 28, 2017, 7:37pm; Reply: 43
Well done to the GTFC reserves on winning the title great to see the b side doing so well again bodes well for our squad as a whole.

You need quality players to be able to step up if required I always was against scrapping our reserve side.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, March 28, 2017, 10:40pm; Reply: 44
utm
Posted by: forza ivano, March 29, 2017, 7:34am; Reply: 45
Fenty going to need to invest in a bigger trophy cabinet. We're a club that just can't stop winning trophies fa trophy, play off final trophy ,now this, Christ at this rate it'll be the Lincs senior cup next!!

Btw anyone know the full name of this illustrious trophy that we've just won, so we can add it to the roll of honour on wiki etc.?
Posted by: pizzzza, March 29, 2017, 7:37am; Reply: 46
Quoted from forza ivano
We're a club that just can't stop winning trophies fa trophy

Think I missed this one :)
Posted by: RoboCod, March 29, 2017, 8:17am; Reply: 47
Quoted from pizzzza

Think I missed this one :)

I was so cold at Wembley that day my brain froze solidand shut down after Cook's goal for us, I always assumed we went on to win it ::)
Posted by: Grantley, March 29, 2017, 8:20am; Reply: 48
Quoted from RoboCod

I was so cold at Wembley that day my brain froze solidand shut down after Cook's goal for us, I always assumed we went on to win it ::)

What about last season!
Posted by: jaygy, March 29, 2017, 8:42am; Reply: 49
We've never won the FA trophy?
Posted by: forza ivano, March 29, 2017, 9:12am; Reply: 50
Quoted from RoboCod

i'm getting confused - i awarded myself a trophy for sitting through the cold and boredom ;)
Posted by: RoboCod, March 29, 2017, 9:36am; Reply: 51
Quoted from Grantley

What about last season!

Watched it on TV, I was so shocked at how bad we were in that one that my brain shut down at half time and I assumed we'd gone on to lose it ::)
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, March 29, 2017, 9:53am; Reply: 52
Quoted from jaygy

Only because we weren't arsed about it  8)
Posted by: Maringer, March 29, 2017, 11:25am; Reply: 53
Quoted from RoboCod

Watched it on TV, I was so shocked at how bad we were in that one that my brain shut down at half time and I assumed we'd gone on to lose it ::)

I think some of our players were actually wearing flip-flops in readiness for the beach?
Posted by: Abdul19, March 29, 2017, 11:59am; Reply: 54
I thought they were wearing flip flops because they were still hammered from the week before!
Posted by: Civvy at last, March 29, 2017, 12:09pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from jaygy

And if you think about it.

Hopefully we never will !!!!
Posted by: Garth, March 29, 2017, 4:51pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Only because we weren't arsed about it  8)

Like promotion this season ??)
Print page generated: May 25, 2024, 1:59am