Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 6, 2017, 7:26am
Believed to be a possible loan target.

http://mobile.bcfc.com//news/article/luke-maxwell-birmingham-city-3080087.aspx
Posted by: Cloudy, January 6, 2017, 7:54am; Reply: 1
On Humberside this morning. Gary Whild was at Kiddy with him and they sold him to Brum for £75k.

Left footed central midfielder who can also play at the back evidently
Posted by: forza ivano, January 6, 2017, 8:02am; Reply: 2
Holding midfielder so presumably that means Conley is going back to qpr, if he is coming in?
Posted by: Cloudy, January 6, 2017, 8:10am; Reply: 3
Quoted from forza ivano
Holding midfielder so presumably that means Conley is going back to qpr, if he is coming in?

Quite possibly
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 6, 2017, 9:14am; Reply: 4
Wasn't comley linked with Northampton and a n other?
Posted by: acko338, January 6, 2017, 10:15am; Reply: 5
Whild's proven abilities to bring in players that themselves are marketable later on could be the best signing that Town will make this season.

With Whild, Moore and Bignot all having good Midlands connections, we could now have a lead into previously unused player resources, and combine that with Woods' work with Walsall, that should form a comprehensive management database to move towards a player conveyor belt progression, both youth level and players who want to progress upwards to higher leagues, possibly using Grimsby Town as their advert.

I'm guessing that they will already have extensive knoweldge of U 23 and U 21 sides, as well as youth players and reserve sides.

Town's bonus must be to progress themselves up to a higher league by those players not just being good fro themselves, but helping the team as a unit to go higher. If they can unearth three or four players of the ilk of Conor Townsend, and in different areas of the pitch, then the whole team will benefit.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 6, 2017, 11:06am; Reply: 6
Good post Acko and it has been my wish for a long time that we go down this route. Hopefully we can emulate what Gradi did at Crewe some years back. If we can get the recruitment right and hopefully a new stadium at some point, then the future would look bright after year of the doldrums. Here's hoping.
Posted by: Fat Cobra, January 6, 2017, 11:27am; Reply: 7
Quoted from ginnywings
Good post Acko and it has been my wish for a long time that we go down this route. Hopefully we can emulate what Gradi did at Crewe some years back. If we can get the recruitment right and hopefully a new stadium at some point, then the future would look bright after year of the doldrums. Here's hoping.

If we emulate what Gradi did at Crewe some years back I for one will never support this club again. How can you promote this mans way of developing young boys? Disgusting.

🐍
Posted by: ginnywings, January 6, 2017, 11:38am; Reply: 8
That's a cheap shot Cobra.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 6, 2017, 11:45am; Reply: 9
Quoted from acko338
Whild's proven abilities to bring in players that themselves are marketable later on could be the best signing that Town will make this season.

With Whild, Moore and Bignot all having good Midlands connections, we could now have a lead into previously unused player resources, and combine that with Woods' work with Walsall, that should form a comprehensive management database to move towards a player conveyor belt progression, both youth level and players who want to progress upwards to higher leagues, possibly using Grimsby Town as their advert.

I'm guessing that they will already have extensive knoweldge of U 23 and U 21 sides, as well as youth players and reserve sides.

Town's bonus must be to progress themselves up to a higher league by those players not just being good fro themselves, but helping the team as a unit to go higher. If they can unearth three or four players of the ilk of Conor Townsend, and in different areas of the pitch, then the whole team will benefit.

Good post Acko.

In terms of management structure and player recruitment, I think we are starting to see initial elements of the "project" that Bignot was talking about..
Posted by: jock dock tower, January 6, 2017, 11:50am; Reply: 10
Time will eventually tell if Gradi was aware of some, if not all of, the things that were going on at Gresty Road. I sincerely hope he wasn't implicated by not doing anything if he was aware, but leaving that to one side his record or nurturing young talent has been second to none for the last 25 plus years. Beardsley, Platt, Dean Ashton, Neil Lennon, Robbie Savage, Geoff Thomas, Craig Hignett to name but just a few.

Going even further back, I well remember the 1971-2 season when we only lost twice at home, one of those was to Crewe for whom Stanley Bowles produced one of the most gobsmacking displays of pure talent and trickery I've ever seen at any level.

Leave the sensationalism behind, and if we can ever start to nurture talent like that we'll be in very good hands.
Posted by: golfer, January 9, 2017, 8:19am; Reply: 11
I agree with the above but think Ernie Tagg was a bigger legend as far as Crewe were concerned.Met Bowles a few times and he always had a dig at Ernie about him being a pub owner.
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, January 9, 2017, 11:55am; Reply: 12
Quoted from jock dock tower
Time will eventually tell if Gradi was aware of some, if not all of, the things that were going on at Gresty Road. I sincerely hope he wasn't implicated by not doing anything if he was aware, but leaving that to one side his record or nurturing young talent has been second to none for the last 25 plus years. Beardsley, Platt, Dean Ashton, Neil Lennon, Robbie Savage, Geoff Thomas, Craig Hignett to name but just a few.

Going even further back, I well remember the 1971-2 season when we only lost twice at home, one of those was to Crewe for whom Stanley Bowles produced one of the most gobsmacking displays of pure talent and trickery I've ever seen at any level.

Leave the sensationalism behind, and if we can ever start to nurture talent like that we'll be in very good hands.

Remember that game well. We lost 2-3, think it was a Tuesday night. Ernie Tagg, his manager once said of Stan Bowles, "If he could pass a betting shop like he can pass a ball...."

Posted by: Trawler, January 12, 2017, 9:42am; Reply: 13
BBC Humberside Sport reporting that Birmingham City have turned down an approach from GTFC to allow their midfielder Luke Maxwell to join them on loan.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 12, 2017, 9:46am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Fat Cobra

If we emulate what Gradi did at Crewe some years back I for one will never support this club again. How can you promote this mans way of developing young boys? Disgusting.

🐍

do you ever think about what you post?
Posted by: Chrisblor, January 12, 2017, 9:49am; Reply: 15
Seems a bizarre move from their perspective. He's not come close to their first team at all this season - why not let him come here and get some actual experience. Surely that would be far more useful to his development than sitting in their under-23 squad playing behind closed doors?

Although this isn't the first time Birmingham have seemingly been awkward with loan players. I remember when we had Alex Jones in 2015 and they wouldn't let us extend that deal beyond a month, forcing him to go back and sit in their reserves for the rest of the season.
Posted by: Superdan147, January 12, 2017, 10:13am; Reply: 16
Seems strange stopping a young player getting some decent league football experience really. At least our board no what answer to give If they come asking about Omar :) or when they come knocking for Marcus this time next year when we are flying high in league 1 😉
Posted by: Hagrid, January 12, 2017, 10:24am; Reply: 17
agreed it does seem odd, you'd think they'd want a young player to come get some first team experiance, but we move on
Posted by: horsforthmariner, January 12, 2017, 10:25am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Hagrid

do you ever think about what you post?

Shall we all just from now on just ignore him. He clearly craves attention so lets not give him any.
Posted by: Chris Packit, January 12, 2017, 11:29am; Reply: 19
But not all our loan players do get first-team experience, do they? Alex Jones has since proved that he was far too good to be running around playing second fiddle to Podge. Perhaps he had a say in the matter?
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 12, 2017, 11:36am; Reply: 20
Or perhaps they think he's too good for league 2, this would appear to indicate that Comley's off back, this guys a young defensive midfielder.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 12, 2017, 11:49am; Reply: 21
Quoted from Mariner_09
Or perhaps they think he's too good for league 2, this would appear to indicate that Comley's off back, this guys a young defensive midfielder.

They will never know unless they get him first team football, I would think his agent possibly thinks he is better than L2. Though the club have denied him a loan they may actually be speaking on behalf of the player who sadly all too often these days follows his agents steer.    
Posted by: Fat Cobra, January 12, 2017, 12:16pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from horsforthmariner

Shall we all just from now on just ignore him. He clearly craves attention so lets not give him any.

You make me laugh 😂
Posted by: golfer, January 12, 2017, 2:23pm; Reply: 23
I don't like this way of trying to turn Fishy members against other Fishy members. We have a system of green ticks and red crosses and also facilities for increasing or decreasing the posters reputation. If the post is that bad then the moderators should step in. If a member wishes then he can inform the moderator of his views and air his views on the forum but not in the manner done. I am not taking sides but let's play fair for the future.
Print page generated: May 17, 2024, 5:57pm