Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 13, 2016, 7:19am
The general feeling around Gtfc seems so positive nowadays. The last time I felt this way was 98 are we in for another golden period ?
Posted by: OllieGTFC, September 13, 2016, 7:39am; Reply: 1
First time have felt like this since have been watching town play, all have seen is us fall down the leagues, now that's changed hopefully I see the more of the glory days we had here UTM !!
Posted by: ginnywings, September 13, 2016, 7:37am; Reply: 2
I'm certainly enjoying the football more than i have done for years and years. Pre non league and most of non league was dire, with very little skills or excitement on show most games.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, September 13, 2016, 7:41am; Reply: 3
Great to be a Town fan Goodness knows we have suffered probably since the day we beat Liverpool 1-2 at Anfield but were on the way back now.Hopefully we can kick on over the next 2-3 years and be looking forward to a new ground etc.What would be a good start is a gate over 5k on Saturday we really need to get bums on seats at home I think the away support looks after itself but we need BP to be a fortress.UTM
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 13, 2016, 8:42am; Reply: 4
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Great to be a Town fan Goodness knows we have suffered probably since the day we beat Liverpool 1-2 at Anfield but were on the way back now.Hopefully we can kick on over the next 2-3 years and be looking forward to a new ground etc.What would be a good start is a gate over 5k on Saturday we really need to get bums on seats at home I think the away support looks after itself but we need BP to be a fortress.UTM

I think we could average 7/8 k with a new stadium week in week out I can only see great times ahead
Posted by: moosey_club, September 13, 2016, 9:02am; Reply: 5
We are fickle arent we ?

Roll back only a few weeks and there was a consensus building that the club was heading for disaster, Mighty Mariner gate, PR gaffes, no defenders, ground will never be built.....but 7 points out of 9 and its.....we will be in the Premier League before you know it  ;)

Posted by: Hertsmariner, September 13, 2016, 9:19am; Reply: 6
And to state the obvious, as implied above, it is the home attendances which are vital to the club's wellbeing. GTFC does not benefit financially from its huge away following, though of course the support inspires the team away from BP. I would add that promotion from the Conference came at exactly the right moment, following on from the Operation Promotion money-raising initiative orchestrated by the Trust. In the game of counter-factuals, had we not been promoted at the end of last season after so much enthusiasm in the wake of defeat by Bristol Rovers at Wembley, our decline might well have continued into further obscurity. Thankfully that didn't happen and now we have a terrific opportunity to progress if the home support can be increased further. Right now, I'm enjoying the ride, watching some richly entertaining, and at times, thrilling football. Long may it continue.  
Posted by: Garth, September 13, 2016, 9:31am; Reply: 7
Could have been mid table conference looking up at the Mighty Imps(blush)(blink2)(cry)
Posted by: Mariner_09, September 13, 2016, 9:33am; Reply: 8
I'm sure it was fixed that we took an age to get promoted out that league. Sides like Alfreton and Southport got almost their entire away support revenue from us.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 13, 2016, 9:38am; Reply: 9
Amazing what happens when we try and get the ball down and try and play some decent stuff.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, September 13, 2016, 11:19am; Reply: 10
I'm still on cloud nine after getting promoted from non league, six years of pain gone!  ;)
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 13, 2016, 12:09pm; Reply: 11
6 years is only a small blip in the history of our great club,

BUT

It seemed an eternity to us didn't it ?

Onward and upward from now on guys,

We will be back in the L2 L1 Championship or whatever they call it soon,

There can not be many clubs like us that have played in the top five leagues,

That have been called so many different names.
Posted by: Posh Harry, September 13, 2016, 12:36pm; Reply: 12
For me it's all about the pressure of the situation. Since 2010 everyone from the top to the bottom of the club has been under increasing pressure each year for us to get back up, even getting to the stage where several people (me included) had grave concerns about the clubs future if we had not gone up last season (operation promotion, umbrella payments, more bankrolled teams etc), with long term part time football possibly being a real prospect.

Now the goal has been achieved it is like that pressure valve has been released, people at the club can actually enjoy their jobs more, enjoy coming to work more and look forward to a bright future. At the moment the balance if right in that pressure off, if we lose a game it's not the end of the world and we move on. The powers that be (JF/PH) just need to ensure balance doesn't become too relaxed and we go the other way. I am sure they are both capable of that. If we lost last season then the Fishy would go into meltdown and there would be calls for heads to roll, this year we analyse, moan a bit but move on.

Personally even as a fan, when we have lost this season I have been gutted (of course) but as the expectation is not that we have to win every game then I can be gutted and get over it and move on. The kids are pleased too, the last time they got a beating was after the Braintree 1st leg 😉

UTFM
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 13, 2016, 1:25pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from moosey_club
We are fickle arent we ?

Roll back only a few weeks and there was a consensus building that the club was heading for disaster, Mighty Mariner gate, PR gaffes, no defenders, ground will never be built.....but 7 points out of 9 and its.....we will be in the Premier League before you know it  ;)

The pr issues is still that a issue now more than ever we need to get this right
Posted by: Mikey, September 13, 2016, 5:37pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from grimsby pete
6 years is only a small blip in the history of our great club,

BUT

It seemed an eternity to us didn't it ?

Onward and upward from now on guys,

We will be back in the L2 L1 Championship or whatever they call it soon,

There can not be many clubs like us that have played in the top five leagues,

That have been called so many different names.

Oxford
Luton
Carlisle
Grimsby
Swindon?

That's all I can think of off the top of my head
Posted by: grimps, September 13, 2016, 5:45pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Mikey

Oxford
Luton
Carlisle
Grimsby
Swindon?

That's all I can think of off the top of my head

Wimbledon ? not sure if it counts though because its not the same club
Posted by: golfer, September 13, 2016, 5:45pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from cmackenzie4
I'm still on cloud nine after getting promoted from non league, six years of pain gone!  ;)

Don't just sit there day dreaming, I've been waiting for this signal to go green for the last hour
Posted by: sydney, September 13, 2016, 8:32pm; Reply: 17
Started for us at Braintree away
Driving down expecting to be disappointed but in the end having one of the best days ever
Been on a high ever since
Come on Town!!
Posted by: Skrill, September 13, 2016, 8:50pm; Reply: 18
Grimsby is a club with history. History of being a tough, gritty and generally very fishy team to play against. Many fans from all around the entire football league have shown support for us, mentioning how 'grimsby are a proper football team, with proper fans and deserve to be in the football league', and the like.

Finally the football league will hear once again the chants of old, 'Sing when we're fishin!". The Mariners know and the rest of the football league know, Grimsby are back! (clap)(icon_rolleyes)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 13, 2016, 10:49pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Hertsmariner
And to state the obvious, as implied above, it is the home attendances which are vital to the club's wellbeing. GTFC does not benefit financially from its huge away following, though of course the support inspires the team away from BP. I would add that promotion from the Conference came at exactly the right moment, following on from the Operation Promotion money-raising initiative orchestrated by the Trust. In the game of counter-factuals, had we not been promoted at the end of last season after so much enthusiasm in the wake of defeat by Bristol Rovers at Wembley, our decline might well have continued into further obscurity. Thankfully that didn't happen and now we have a terrific opportunity to progress if the home support can be increased further. Right now, I'm enjoying the ride, watching some richly entertaining, and at times, thrilling football. Long may it continue.  

That to be says a lot about the collective power and influence of fans if channelled.
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, September 14, 2016, 2:37pm; Reply: 20
God knows how you guys are going to cope when we hit a bad patch and lose 3 in a row ;)
Posted by: Mariner55, September 14, 2016, 2:47pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Mariner_09
I'm sure it was fixed that we took an age to get promoted out that league. Sides like Alfreton and Southport got almost their entire away support revenue from us.

Please could you explain how it could have been fixed that we wouldn't go up?  
Posted by: Mariner55, September 14, 2016, 2:53pm; Reply: 22
My thoughts, for what they're worth:
> Hurst was both smart and brave to let so many players go.  Despite the euphoria of going up, we were probably slightly fortunate to do so given the inconsistency in the latter part of the season.
> He knew that if we were to stay up and even challenge for promotion we needed a much better squad.
> our performance so far this season has been pretty remarkable considering each game only about three of our outfield players were with us last year.  At Luton they looked very cohesive and highly effective ... I'm surprised they have 'clicked' quite so fast.
> I know the thoughts of Town fans turn to relegation when we lose and to promotion when we win, but given the way they've been playing in past couple of weeks I think we have cause to be quite optimistic.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 14, 2016, 9:38pm; Reply: 23
Progress is rarely a straight, upward trajectory. We'll suffer some let downs along the way. Saturday was great, but we didn't dominate the game and I'm sure we'll have worse performances. But it does feel as if we're on the up.
Posted by: wigworld, September 14, 2016, 10:20pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Mariner55

Please could you explain how it could have been fixed that we wouldn't go up?  

It's true, they did the same to Bristol Rovers.  ;)

Posted by: chaos33, September 14, 2016, 10:24pm; Reply: 25
Yep they did, and to Luton too. The fixing ba$tards  >:(
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 14, 2016, 10:29pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Mariner55
My thoughts, for what they're worth:
> Hurst was both smart and brave to let so many players go.  Despite the euphoria of going up, we were probably slightly fortunate to do so given the inconsistency in the latter part of the season.
> He knew that if we were to stay up and even challenge for promotion we needed a much better squad.
> our performance so far this season has been pretty remarkable considering each game only about three of our outfield players were with us last year.  At Luton they looked very cohesive and highly effective ... I'm surprised they have 'clicked' quite so fast.
> I know the thoughts of Town fans turn to relegation when we lose and to promotion when we win, but given the way they've been playing in past couple of weeks I think we have cause to be quite optimistic.

I think the reason they have clicked is because they are technically more gifted. PH ran the risk of upsetting many fans by letting certain players go but he believed that a team that finished so far behind the Conference winners wouldn't be good enough for League 2 - fairly obvious in hindsight but many of us couldn't see it, then again, we aren't managers of GTFC.
Posted by: Garth, September 15, 2016, 9:34am; Reply: 27
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I think the reason they have clicked is because they are technically more gifted. PH ran the risk of upsetting many fans by letting certain players go but he believed that a team that finished so far behind the Conference winners wouldn't be good enough for League 2 - fairly obvious in hindsight but many of us couldn't see it, then again, we aren't managers of GTFC.

He Big King Man Bawana(groupwave)
Posted by: rancido, September 17, 2016, 11:49am; Reply: 28
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Spot on. Now we are a league club PH can sign better players on longer contracts. The pressure is off him as regards having to achieve promotion out of non-league. Admittedly, now we have to avoid relegation but it seems like all the players in the squad have the ability and quality to stop us falling back into that abyss. IMO PH has a much better idea and is better suited in managing a league team as opposed to a non-league one.
Print page generated: May 17, 2024, 6:06am