Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Rik e B, May 31, 2016, 3:50pm
In their prime to add to what Hurst has available who would it be and why?

My first inclination would be Pat Glover, a goal scoring machine for Town and Welsh international in what is now the Premier League as we tussled with the big boys at the very top for a period.

[img]http://www.doingthe92.com/images/uploaded/previews/U2P14632.jpg[/img]

He scored 180 goals in 227 games for Town, 47 in one Season I think and 7 in 7 for Wales -I've no doubt his renowned aerial prowess and eye for goal could transfer from that bygone era to wreak absolute havoc in League Two.

But I'm going to go plump with a man I experienced with my own eyes, I took him for granted a bit at first as he was all I had known but as he reached his latter years started to realise what a colossal  figure he was in the centre of the park.

My man will be Paul Groves. Right bang in the engine room of the team I feel he would have the strongest positive impact on the modern day side.

[img]http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/1234616-sep-1999-paul-groves-of-grimsby-town-in-action-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=OCUJ5gVf7YdJQI2Xhkc2QNnFuCoXiW7tMAafSA1COg%2FNsltfITqpmJcmi9lF4EexhmQ4KdqbhcOjozP7SPa6Ig%3D%3D[/img]

We're going to need creativity, guts and guile, more leaders, and someone with a motor on them and he had all these things in abundance. A true box to box player, the likes of which we have rarely seen since.

By heck he could tackle and although not quite Steven Gerrard spraying balls about he did the simple stuff well, rarely misplacing a pass and keeping things purring along nicely.

He popped up in both boxes with either crucial defensive clearances or headed goals and was guaranteed to hit double figures for nearly every campaign. His heading ability was astounding and he at times dragged us to results almost single-handedly -who can forget that crucial leap and goal in front of the Pontoon v Fulham to define our Season just when we needed it most?

When his legs started to go he made a fine central defender so Hurst would have that option (and what an option!) during a crisis at the back but for years that would have been such a waste.

He'd know exactly what kind of balls Bogle would thrive off, would be barking at Arnold (fingers crossed he stays) on what to do and where to be and would feed him brilliantly getting him on the ball to wreak mayhem.

An old pro like Disley would instantly click in the middle there and also Groves would be game wise enough to drop back for critical interventions on the rare occasion our boys at the back have a lapse.

If we were struggling to create he'd charge into the box expecting a little one two Buckley triangle to put us right in the danger zone. The consummate professional, he'd be a massive positive influence and inspiration in the dressing room and on the training pitch. Made of pure granite he would never give Hurst an unwanted selection headache declaring himself out with a girlie 'niggle'!  ;D

He could teach and cajole on the pitch helping our new boys gel and would inspire with his example. He could even do a bit of coaching if Hursty wanted it but I'm talking a younger Groves here.

Who would your pick and why? Remember this might not necessarily be the best player you've ever seen or heard of but one that would best fit in with our remaining squad and help the one that is to be built in the coming League Two campaign. :P

Posted by: Grimbiggs, May 31, 2016, 3:54pm; Reply: 1
Trevor Whymark, pure class.
Posted by: Posh Harry, May 31, 2016, 4:02pm; Reply: 2
Wow. So many choices!

For me the team is currently missing a box to box midfielder who can motivate the team through actions and words. 3 initially come to mind. Groves, cunnington and joe waters. Really difficult but at a push I would stick joe waters in there. Could score, good tackler, bags of energy and prepared to die for the shirt.

UTFM

Great subject by the way!
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 31, 2016, 4:11pm; Reply: 3
Alan Pouton, because nobody in the world can tackle somebody so hard that they score an own goal from the half way line.
Posted by: friskneymariner, May 31, 2016, 4:15pm; Reply: 4
At his best and when his head was in the right place David Nielsen some of his runs were breathtaking.
Posted by: punk mariner, May 31, 2016, 4:22pm; Reply: 5
I've just spent the last 10 minutes genuinely considering this question to the point that I almost convinced myself it could really happen! I concluded that as we currently need a powerhouse in midfield, a younger Groves would be the perfect signing. what a beautiful distraction that was for a few minutes
Posted by: moosey_club, May 31, 2016, 4:30pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from pontoonlew
Alan Pouton, because nobody in the world can tackle somebody so hard that they score an own goal from the half way line.

apart from him of course...   ;)

Mike Lyons for me...i have learnt so many new swear words and insults since he left i would like the opportunity to use them all in his general direction...

I kind of agree with the Groves opening statement, solid, goals, dependable and hardly missed a game through injury or suspension and at a good level of football too....Cockers maybe for his sheer determination and love of the shirt.....Livvo for that hustle and bustle talisman centre forward ......but....i think i may go for ...

Michael Reddy, a true get you out of your seat player the which we havnt seen for quite a while, excites the crowd, terrifies the opposition and just scored goals out of nothing.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), May 31, 2016, 4:49pm; Reply: 7
I would be struggling to choose between Dave Gilbert, Shaun Cunnington, Clive Mendonca and Paul Futcher.
Posted by: gtfc98, May 31, 2016, 4:42pm; Reply: 8
Groves
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 31, 2016, 4:57pm; Reply: 9
Kev Drinkall the ultimate striker had everything, brilliant in the air, strong on the floor scored goals for fun against quality defenders stolen from us by the canary’s where he shone once again.  

Went on to star at Rangers he actually stayed here for a good long spell best of all he was home grown talent never see the likes of that again.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, May 31, 2016, 4:59pm; Reply: 10
Paul Groves
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 31, 2016, 4:57pm; Reply: 11
Gary Jones - the perfect target man 8)
Posted by: Sir Matt Tease, May 31, 2016, 5:04pm; Reply: 12
Too difficult to name one but any of these would walk into the current side,

Batch, Coyne, McDermott, Nicholl, Futcher, Gray, Cumming, Waters, Groves, Hickman, Cunnington, Brace, Tees (The best) !, Whymark, Birtles, Wilkinson, Lund, Drinkell etc etc.

Having seen all of the above I really have BEEN SPOILED !
Posted by: MARINERSMAN22, May 31, 2016, 5:16pm; Reply: 13
Since I am young and only took an interest when I was 13 - conference days ffs - I would have to say on-loan Scott Neilson as he was sublime
Posted by: Caesar, May 31, 2016, 5:11pm; Reply: 14
Very good thread. One big caveat is that surley this depends on who stays?  I am going to presume that all players offered contracts stay (please may that be true!) So for me that has ruled out Super Clive.  Great though he would be I think we have some good strength there already.  

This also applies to our defence and goalie.  The only position definatley open is Left Back and while I have some good players I could think of I feel that is not as important as other areas as we let go a good left back so obviously do not need strengthening there as much as midefield.  

Groves would be an excellent shout for the reasons already stated so partly to be different but also I hope with good justification I would reject him in place of another member from the 97/98 season in Kevin Donovan.  In Nathan Arnold we have one wing position covered off and handily he can play left or right side, but I think we have not really found an ideal balance.   Now if we could add Kevin and his goals from the right of midfield with Nathan drifitng in from the left we would have good pace and goal threats from either wing.
Posted by: Upper smiths, May 31, 2016, 5:20pm; Reply: 15
Dale Banton
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 31, 2016, 5:20pm; Reply: 16
Joe Waters.......... skilful midfielder who was always busy and took responsibility for everything from throw in's penalties. Had the respect of the players fans and tellingly most opponents.
Posted by: hampshiremariner, May 31, 2016, 5:42pm; Reply: 17
Jackie Bestall (class act in the mid to late 1930s when we were in Div 1), Ron Rafferty, Matt Tees, Jack Lester, Livvo (would run through a brick wall for the cause), Macca etc, etc.

There have been so many great players over the years to grace the black and white stripes. That is why we should never again allow ourselves to slip into the Conference. Bobby Charlton tells the story of how Ferguson asked himself and Nobby Stiles to talk to the Man U squad of the noughties to spell out the tradition and history of the club. Would be a good idea to to tell the present players just what a proud tradition and history Grimsby Town has. Perhaps they do, but they should realise it is an honour to represent the club.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 31, 2016, 5:50pm; Reply: 18
I would forget our great players of the past and go for,

Conor Townsend

You never know he might come back in a year or two anyway,

What deal did he sign with the Scunts ?
Posted by: ginnywings, May 31, 2016, 5:46pm; Reply: 19
Trevor Whymark, though he'd be far too good for League 2. Bobby Cumming would do nicely.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, May 31, 2016, 5:50pm; Reply: 20
clive mendonca
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 31, 2016, 6:29pm; Reply: 21
It'd be either Joe Waters, Bobby Cumming or Nigel Batch but as Cumming wouldn't last more than 10 minutes on the pitch in this day and age and McKeown is a fairly competent keeper it'd have to be Joe Waters to partner Dis in midfield.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 31, 2016, 7:13pm; Reply: 22
Groves is a good call. Just class. In his position a player like that would have the maximum impact on us. Box to box energy, could pick out a pass, and a consistent scorer from midfield. He bagged two of the best goals I've seen supporting Town over nearly 45 years. Made a decent fist of playing CB too.
Posted by: aldi_01, May 31, 2016, 7:11pm; Reply: 23
Super Clive Mendonca...
Posted by: chaos33, May 31, 2016, 7:25pm; Reply: 24
I'll go for someone nobody else has mentioned on this thread (and avoid the obvious choices). Michael Boulding. At his peak, Boulding would smash L2 defences to pieces and fire us to a second promotion.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, May 31, 2016, 7:30pm; Reply: 25
Spent absolute ruddy ages on this and still cant get one from...
Whymark
Mendonca
Futch
Cumming
Posted by: monkeyboy, May 31, 2016, 7:36pm; Reply: 26
Mark Lever, im 39 and think he was my favourite growing up. oh and big keith alexander up front. never new what to expect from him
Posted by: golfer, May 31, 2016, 8:00pm; Reply: 27

Ron Rafferty

Jimmy Fell

Johnny Scott

Duncan Welbourne

Jeff  Whitefoot

Take your pick
Posted by: Mendonca1995, May 31, 2016, 8:02pm; Reply: 28
Good idea to start something like this as we're all scratching our heads waiting for someone to sign !!! I would have to go for super Clive or very close behind Kevin Donovan 🎣
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 31, 2016, 8:14pm; Reply: 29
Best thread of the off season so far!

Hard to disagree with the Groves call but I think Pouton would get the fans on their feet. He scored my favourite ever goal seen at BP with that own goal from the centre circle. He possessed the grit, determination and passion that made me proud to support Grimsby at the turn of the millennium.

I also think Reddy or Boulding would suit Paul Hurst's team but I am standing by Pouton.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 31, 2016, 8:16pm; Reply: 30
Very difficult to argue with the Groves argument but I've gone for John Oster.   Whilst it's fair to say Groves often dragged us by the scruff of the neck through games, Oster led us through with a swagger and strut.  

Genuinely the most talented player I've seen in a Town shirt. Excellent in all of his 3 spells (including two loans) but the first loan spell he was on another planet.  
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 31, 2016, 8:19pm; Reply: 31
Ivano.
But strictly NO chicken sandwiches.
Posted by: smokey111, May 31, 2016, 8:39pm; Reply: 32
Either Shaun Cunnigton or Birtles.

Probably Birtles as he seemed to make everyone else in the team play 10% better
Posted by: mariner83, May 31, 2016, 8:45pm; Reply: 33
Can we re-sign Martin Pringle and not let Dave Challinor anywhere near him?
Posted by: Willgtfc, May 31, 2016, 9:04pm; Reply: 34
I'm only 21. I started watching Grimsby at a very young age with my dad and saw some brilliant players over the years and seen some absolute shitee ! I know it says one player but the ones that stick out in my mind was Paul groves, John McDermott, Alan pouton and Danny coyne others that stick in my mind from when I first started watching was Micheal boulding, George santos and Steve kabba
Posted by: hampshiremariner, May 31, 2016, 9:05pm; Reply: 35
GOLFER:
Brilliant! Jimmy Fell and Johnny Scott! Both these guys were playing when I saw the Mariners play for the second time in October 1958. It was against Fulham and they had some big names in their line up including Haynes, Jimmy Hill and Bedford Jezzard. I was pushed to the front on the John Smith's side of the ground and I could almost touch Jimmy Fell as he ran up and down hugging the touchline. It was a pulsating game and we held them 2-2. I think the crowd was about 16,000.
I think Jimmy Fell was bought by Newcastle, but not sure. As others have said a really good thread.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, May 31, 2016, 9:22pm; Reply: 36
Seeing as Hurst has been searching for a target man for well, forever I'd plump for Gary Jones the best big man I ever seen play for town. Wish we'd had him back in the championship days too as we only got the back end of his career.
Posted by: Bignic69, May 31, 2016, 9:27pm; Reply: 37
Dave Beasant- was absolutely amazing when he was here on loan

John McDermott- Legend

Paul Groves- Mr Reliable

Super Clive Mendonca- Scores when he wants

Posted by: nightrider, May 31, 2016, 9:27pm; Reply: 38
Supporting since '90
Bonetti wins hands down. Never experienced a football buzz around the Town quite like it

We'll never ever sign a player of his quality ever again, unless a billionaire decides to invest....
He wins Serie A, plays in the European Cup final and then signs for Grimsby 3years later, still only early 30s

How can one player, half arsed, who probably wasn't even fit, improve a team so much?!
Baring in mind the team was relegated the year after.
What player had more ability than Ivano?
You'd pay your money and more just to see him on the ball. Youd be thinking "Just get it to Bonetti"

There must be a Bonetti love child somewhere in Grimsby that our talented scouting system hasn't yet discovered
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, May 31, 2016, 9:42pm; Reply: 39
Yeah it be Bonetti for kicks for sure, however I'm not sure what Hurst would make of him in his side! :)
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, May 31, 2016, 9:44pm; Reply: 40
Lew Chatterley... ;D

Lew was a great player, but the best I have ever seen in the famous black and white stripes was Trevor Whymark, so I would go for him.

If Whymark couldn't be persuaded to come back then I would go for Matt Tees who was amazing in both spells, but particularly the first one.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 31, 2016, 9:54pm; Reply: 41
Thinking in terms of what we need now I would say Groves - the complete box to box midfielder. Would love to see Joe Waters and Bobby C in the team as well.
Posted by: Grimbiggs, May 31, 2016, 9:55pm; Reply: 42
Yeah Bonetti so good, but Whymark was unbelievable, he brought Drinkell on leaps on bounds...in his pomp for Ipswich he scored 4 against Lazio, and was in their winning sides against Barcelona and Real Madrid...doubt will we ever see his like again. If he was playing today, Harry Kane would struggle to get in the England side....
Posted by: Belfast Town, May 31, 2016, 9:55pm; Reply: 43
John Cockerill, surely.
Posted by: Lincspoacher, May 31, 2016, 10:17pm; Reply: 44
Kevin Moore.

Legend, club captain like no other and true role model.

Premiership class player as he went on to prove.
Posted by: Sigone, May 31, 2016, 10:36pm; Reply: 45
I'm gonna name a player your all gonna scoff at or boke(boak)....

Tony Rees
The best hold up forward we've had since Drinkell..and his clever flicks would set Amond or Bogle up so many times..~Ok  the guy couldnt shoot to save his life but he did the unexpected a few times..anyone remember Coventry the chest control from a goal kick swivel and volley from 35 yards out that forced the keeper to make a scruffy save..J.C then scored direct from a corner...and the Halifax overhead kick...But Paul Groves has to be the No.1 pick as so many others have said.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 31, 2016, 10:48pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from nightrider
Supporting since '90
Bonetti wins hands down. Never experienced a football buzz around the Town quite like it

We'll never ever sign a player of his quality ever again, unless a billionaire decides to invest....
He wins Serie A, plays in the European Cup final and then signs for Grimsby 3years later, still only early 30s

How can one player, half arsed, who probably wasn't even fit, improve a team so much?!
Baring in mind the team was relegated the year after.
What player had more ability than Ivano?
You'd pay your money and more just to see him on the ball. Youd be thinking "Just get it to Bonetti"

There must be a Bonetti love child somewhere in Grimsby that our talented scouting system hasn't yet discovered

You won't be surprised that I am with you on that 1. No player has given me so much joy and left me with as many wonderful memories as ivano. His debut at charlton, I'd managed to get hold of an Italian flag and within 20 minutes we were agog at the ability of the bloke. Birmingham away where they doubled up on him but with a shoulder drop and a trick he was away from them. THAT goal v wba and his lap of honour.ive never ever seen BP as emotional and crazed like that. Turning mark Bowen inside out at Norwich.just outstanding all round.the whole aura and excitement surrounding him was just incredible.
That said he wouldn't be as effective as cunning ton, birtles,reddypouton,,mendonca,drinkell, wilko, cumming, waters or groves would all be suitable for the job in div2
Posted by: gytone, May 31, 2016, 10:57pm; Reply: 47
Bobby Cumming for me without a doubt, in his prime great pace heart of a lion scored goals and absolutely died for the shirt, would run through brick walls for the Town. Played in an era were the game had loads of characters and every game created stories we still talk about today. Unfortunately he probably wouldn't last 10 minutes in this day and age  :B
Posted by: chaos33, May 31, 2016, 10:59pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Sigone
I'm gonna name a player your all gonna scoff at or boke(boak)....

Tony Rees
The best hold up forward we've had since Drinkell..and his clever flicks would set Amond or Bogle up so many times..~Ok  the guy couldnt shoot to save his life but he did the unexpected a few times..anyone remember Coventry the chest control from a goal kick swivel and volley from 35 yards out that forced the keeper to make a scruffy save..J.C then scored direct from a corner...and the Halifax overhead kick...But Paul Groves has to be the No.1 pick as so many others have said.

Tony Rees is a good call.
Posted by: scoregasm, May 31, 2016, 11:25pm; Reply: 49
So many to choose from.
Bobby Cummings.
Trevor whymark
John cockers
Joe waters
Drinks
Chris nicholl
Stu brace
Sir matt
The choice is so vast and the list above is only a small percentage of the good players I have seen grace the hollow turf.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 1, 2016, 1:09am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Mendonca1995
Good idea to start something like this as we're all scratching our heads waiting for someone to sign !!! I would have to go for super Clive or very close behind Kevin Donovan 🎣

I read that as "close behind Keeley Donovan".  :P
Posted by: easypeersy, June 1, 2016, 2:20am; Reply: 51
Jackie Bestall without a shadow of a doubt!!!
Posted by: H19P1, June 1, 2016, 4:35am; Reply: 52
Paul Futcher every day of the week
Posted by: Peeler_Crab, June 1, 2016, 6:48am; Reply: 53
Paul Groves - pretty much the complete all-rounder from what I remember..
Posted by: forza ivano, June 1, 2016, 7:47am; Reply: 54
Great thread and original idea.
Just a bit of a sad indictment as to how far we have fallen that there are literally hundreds of players who would enhance this team. The entire squads from 71-74 for example would probably be better than the present lot. IE wainman or turner instead of mckeown
Keepers are a good example.dont get me wrong I haven't seen much better than mckeown in the last 5 years but I give you georgevtweedy, Ian turner, Charlie Wright, Harry wainman, Steve sherwood, Nigel batch, Wayne Henderson,
Danny coyne, Richard o donnell, Steve midden hall and the best of all dave beasant .thats 11 off the top of my head and I've probably missed out another dozen particularly from the 40, 50 and 60s who could also be included
Posted by: 1mickylyons, June 1, 2016, 7:51am; Reply: 55
So many great players all named but the crux of the question is what would the one player bring to the rest of the team at his pomp?Like many I was tempted with Groves or Waters to bolster the centre of midfield which has been a problem area for long enough then the selfishness took over and my heroes Pouton,Drinkell,Wilkinson came to mind.However then I got to thinking about PH and wanting to play out from the back Bennet,Tilson,Futch or flair players Ivano and Oster.Yeah so after all that I went with Tony Ford who nobody has mentioned simply because he scored goals created chances had great pace and could play in a variety of positions seldom booked or injured in my opinion he would be the best asset.Great thread.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 1, 2016, 8:25am; Reply: 56
Beasent/sherwood/coyne

Macca/futch/lever/handyside/Agnew

Ivano/cunnington/cockers/groves/Gilbert/birtles

Think the front 2 will work wonders at the is level of they had some of that quality behind them. So, Rees/mendonca/woods all miss out.

Damn you with this question!
Posted by: golfer, June 1, 2016, 9:27am; Reply: 57
Hampshiremariner------ Fell moved to Everton before moving to Newcastle.   I remember that game well. The main talking point after the match was how good Jimmy Hill was, he completely outshone Haynes.
Posted by: Rick12, June 1, 2016, 9:42am; Reply: 58
Clive Mendonca.
Posted by: PrestwichMariner, June 1, 2016, 11:37am; Reply: 59
Futchenstein or Super Clive
Posted by: acko338, June 1, 2016, 11:48am; Reply: 60
Kev Moore - simply because we can't ever bring him back as an honoured guest to show how much he gave to the club.

Sad way to.pass away!
Posted by: forza ivano, June 1, 2016, 11:58am; Reply: 61
this is my XI, have left out great players like Ivano because i don't think he'd flourish or be completely cut out for div 2

BEASANT - with him in goal and his organisation of the back 4 we'd never get relegated simply because we wouldn't concede any goals!

McDERMOTT
GRAHAM TAYLOR
ANDY TODD - Classy and brutal - just what's needed!
FUTCHER - classy and classy

Midfield of GROVES, WATERS, CUNNINGTON & FORD

DRINKELL & MENDONCA up front

SUBS: Cumming, Donovan, Gilbert, Santos, Coyne, Wilkinson & Brace
Posted by: gb, June 1, 2016, 11:58am; Reply: 62
I'd bring back a fit micheal reddy! The joy he gave me growing up was amazing.

Then Paul groves must be one of the best I've seen but in midfield I'd love to see john oster back. The goals and the unpredictable things he'd pull out the bag.

In defence it's difficult. Macca is a legend but I'd bring back Rob Jones. After his first season you'd have sold him for glue but wow what a player.

Goalkeeper is also difficult Sir Danny Coyne!!! What a player but then hendo was probably the only highlight of that dreadful season!

Another special mention tho must go to Jevons. He really was that good!
Posted by: forza ivano, June 1, 2016, 12:13pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from gb
I'd bring back a fit micheal reddy! The joy he gave me growing up was amazing.

Then Paul groves must be one of the best I've seen but in midfield I'd love to see john oster back. The goals and the unpredictable things he'd pull out the bag.

In defence it's difficult. Macca is a legend but I'd bring back Rob Jones. After his first season you'd have sold him for glue but wow what a player.

Goalkeeper is also difficult Sir Danny Coyne!!! What a player but then hendo was probably the only highlight of that dreadful season!

Another special mention tho must go to Jevons. He really was that good!

good calls gb. god if only we can get half a dozen player who are half as good as some of these names!
Posted by: Wrathie83, June 1, 2016, 1:11pm; Reply: 64
Peter Handyside....just because  8)(wub2)

*ahem* yup...I mean he was an awesome defender  ;D
Posted by: forza ivano, June 1, 2016, 1:26pm; Reply: 65
helluva list of centre halves that we'd welcome back with open arms - handyside, whittle, futch, rob jones, santos, todd, ian knight, kev moore, mark lever, birtles, chris nicholl , marlon broomes
Posted by: Posh Harry, June 1, 2016, 9:00pm; Reply: 66
I would add Andy Tilson to that list forza. Quality centre back imho
Posted by: Rik e B, June 1, 2016, 10:33pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Wrathie83
Peter Handyside....just because  8)(wub2)

*ahem* yup...I mean he was an awesome defender  ;D

(ymca)
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 1, 2016, 10:53pm; Reply: 68
Started watching Town properly in 2006, so I'd say the Goal Machine that is Gary Jones, the perfect partner for Podge!
Posted by: forza ivano, June 1, 2016, 10:55pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from Posh Harry
I would add Andy Tilson to that list forza. Quality centre back imho

Indeed posh Harry. And I'm sure that those even older than me could chip in with a bit of quality from the 60s and 70s
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 1, 2016, 11:25pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Mariner_09
Started watching Town properly in 2006, so I'd say the Goal Machine that is Gary Jones, the perfect partner for Podge!

He was good. Good target man and great awareness. But I'd put Bogle alongside him rather than Podge.
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 1, 2016, 11:41pm; Reply: 71
I suppose so Kingston, you've got about as much mobility between those 2 as an Allegro.
Posted by: malkamalka, June 2, 2016, 11:06am; Reply: 72
John Oster - so we could sell him again for 2 million and pay off our debts ;-)
Posted by: Ipswin, August 19, 2016, 3:41pm; Reply: 73
Ralph Hunt
Posted by: wigworld, August 19, 2016, 6:04pm; Reply: 74
Joe Waters.

Closely followed by Paul Groves.

(I reckon you could have a decent guess at someone's ago from the player they choose in this thread).
Posted by: Golden fox, August 19, 2016, 6:08pm; Reply: 75
Andy Todd / Peter Handyside  to organise the back kind .
Posted by: sydney, August 19, 2016, 6:58pm; Reply: 76
Connor Townsend
Posted by: Mariner_09, August 19, 2016, 7:05pm; Reply: 77
Toto Nsiala
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 19, 2016, 7:07pm; Reply: 78
Kevin Drinkell
Posted by: totalidiot, August 19, 2016, 7:14pm; Reply: 79
Paul Futcher + Paul Groves + Clive Mendonca = Guarenteed Promotion tho if only one then paul groves.
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 19, 2016, 7:24pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from totalidiot
Paul Futcher + Paul Groves + Clive Mendonca = Guarenteed Promotion tho if only one then paul groves.

Seeing as it was your first post welcome to "The Fishy", your not Fenty in disguise are you........ ;D

Posted by: totalidiot, August 19, 2016, 7:30pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from promotion plaice

Seeing as it was your first post welcome to "The Fishy", your not Fenty in disguise are you........ ;D

Many thanks and most definitely not
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 19, 2016, 7:53pm; Reply: 82
Said in May .Joe Waters, looking at where we are now I would bring back Super Clive Mendonca!
Posted by: Kris2, August 20, 2016, 12:18pm; Reply: 83
Defensive wise might be good right now so Lever and Handyside. Lever had the height to take on big forwards and win the ball in the air he was also a rock that was very difficult to get past. Back when he was in the team I always felt like our defence was so solid. Handyside was always a cool character tidied up when needed and got the ball forward.

Danny Coyne I'd say out and out the best goalie I've seen play for town. Always dependable not the kind of player who often had a bad game. The win against Liverpool was memorable not just because of an amazing winning goal but a "never say die" performance from Coyne who kept everything out until they finally got one past him with a penalty.

Midfield Groves or Pouton always good to have the players who are versatile and will give 100% every game and fight for everything. When you're having a bad day you need these players who will keep going and pull the team back together.

It's easy to say Mendonca as a forward I was a kid when he was playing for us so everything he did is extra impressive in my mind. In more recent times probably a guy like Reddy in his prime and fully fit without the injury problems. Just so so quick. He'd be in our own half and our midfield gets the ball and suddenly he's run the whole pitch to pick up a pass take it round the last man and score.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, August 20, 2016, 12:24pm; Reply: 84
Bonetti.  

When he was in the side, everything just fizzed in midfield, and you never knew what was going to happen next.
Posted by: Mariner1980, August 20, 2016, 1:33pm; Reply: 85
A young Paul Groves to play alongside Dis.
Maybe see if we can sneak Enzo Gambarro back for more than one game, see if he was any good :)
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), August 20, 2016, 9:48pm; Reply: 86
Clive Mendonca
Posted by: Davec, August 20, 2016, 10:57pm; Reply: 87
Danny Coyne, absolutely outstanding goalkeeper who paid of many fine saves, Even in our relegation season with him, he was still good despite having a shambles of a defence in front of him.

Kevin Moore, local lad, and a real classy centre half, technically good and his reading of the play was absolutely outstanding, even from a young age.

Kevin Drinkell, another local lad, he really did have some quality about him didn't he
Posted by: Chrisblor, August 20, 2016, 11:00pm; Reply: 88
Gary Jones (wub)
Posted by: bawarmy, August 20, 2016, 11:22pm; Reply: 89
How about Andy Todd ? Bit of experience at the back
Posted by: AdamHaddock, August 20, 2016, 11:25pm; Reply: 90
Lever
Posted by: paramariner, August 21, 2016, 11:07am; Reply: 91
We have been crying out for someone in attack who can actually head a ball, so how about Matt Tees, and Kev Drinkell to bang em in.
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 21, 2016, 12:12pm; Reply: 92
Great conundrum.  For me it's Dave Beasant, that's not a slur on McKeown either.

A sweeper-keeper before the phrase was ever coined and used to describe the likes of Neuer etc.  He inspired so much confidence in his defence that he could have had four Vance Warner's in front of him and they would have looked like Franz Beckenbauer.  

Lot of calls for Futch but I would go for Peter Handyside if I had to pick a defender, who should have been even better than Futch but never quite happened for him.  
Print page generated: May 15, 2024, 8:42pm