Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 30, 2015, 6:00am
First off can I say there are the likes of Ginny and chaos who basically say what i mean but in a more passive way shall we say , then you have me who say what i think and try to be reasonable with a bit of sometimes i admit awful banter   but some agree with me to the main that its the same old chopping and changing to poor start year on year..

Some can take it in their stride and not be concerned its like previous seasons on repeat like barra fishoutofwater and headingly mariner and thats fair play to them thats there opinion even if it to me makes them rather easily pleased or deluded not sure yet which.

Then you have forza plus some strange bloke who pretends to be pizza and his buddies who just straight away go for insults and have very little up top to form a valid opinion so i pretty much disregard what they say tbh.

The common thing is we all want promotion and some can see paul getting it hopefully before 2020 and some cant and are not happy this is our fifth season and seem to be lagging behind quite alot already.

I honestly have nothing personal towards him much to somes surprise maybe i just cant sit back after being 9 points behind the leaders already and hope things come good , i like to think all the chopping and needless changing paul does he does because he thinks its worth it i like to say he does it because he still does not know that a settled eleven is key to a successful team.

I must admit his interviews are much improved but his management skills and even the way his team starts seasons are not.

I even saw someone put on here that paul pulled off a masterstroke for leaving two strikers on yesterday i mean come on we were losing ffs it was hardly a masterstroke.

Anyway what im saying is good luck to town and i will be attending most games when work permits me to but im done for a bit on here now as i think we all need a bit of a break from each other   and lets hope town can pull a run together.

Ginny chaos acko and a few others keep it balanced eh  
Posted by: highcliff mariner, August 30, 2015, 6:26am; Reply: 1
Spot on ,

UTM
Posted by: pizzzza, August 30, 2015, 6:56am; Reply: 2
Bye.
Posted by: grimps, August 30, 2015, 7:07am; Reply: 3
I know how you feel mate !
Unless you tow the party line on here people jump straight down your throat.
It has been exactly the same for the last 4 seasons , I can understand people trying to stay positive at all times and all the motivational balderdash that comes with that.

The thing is you could be positive and motivational  to Vanessa feltz , You could tell her to believe and we could have 1000s of passionate supports cheering her every move but she'd still never beat Usian Bolt in a 100 meters race.

Many people are now seeing that this season is panning out the same as the last 4 , We will hear the
''lets wait until after ten games before judging''
,''lets give it till Christmas'' ,
then it'll be'' well whats the point of changing now, wait until the close season''

I've heard these lines trotted out for the last 4 years and still here we are again miles behind the pace still in August.

Hurst needs to improve things fast because the one step forward two steps back from the last 4 seasons is wearing thin now

Posted by: Caesar, August 30, 2015, 7:39am; Reply: 4
Quoted from grimps
It has been exactly the same for the last 4 seasons , I can understand people trying to stay positive at all times and all the motivational balderdash that comes with that.

The thing is you could be positive and motivational  to Vanessa feltz , You could tell her to believe and we could have 1000s of passionate supports cheering her every move but she'd still never beat Usian Bolt in a 100 meters race.

Many people are now seeing that this season is panning out the same as the last 4 , We will hear the
then it'll be'' well whats the point of changing now, wait until the close season''

I've heard these lines trotted out for the last 4 years and still here we are again miles behind the pace still in August.

Hurst needs to improve things fast because the one step forward two steps back from the last 4 seasons is wearing thin now

It is true that there is a disturbing similarity with the last few seasons in slow starts, I am devestated to already be 9 points behing FGR,with a mcuh worse GD.  I am not writing off our title chances at all but that is a hell of a long way off before August has even finished and it needs addressing, if we don't win on Monday and FGR do then we should panic imo.

However I think what is very different this season is about how we have played.  I have only managed to get to the Kiddy match so far so am basing this mostly on just back threads but apart from Alty away and the first half against Torquay (which we all seem to admit was Hurst's fault) we have been very good.  We have been taking teams apart and threatening them constantly and playing good football but conceding sloppy goals.  This is very different to the last few years where were dull and plodding going forward.  In our first 3 games last year we scored one goal, this year we had 10 by that time and have yet to fail to score.  

The table at the moment may look depressingly familiar but the way we are playing does not seem to be and its not acknowledging this that makes ppl "jump down your throats".  There is a lot of hyperbole on both sides and anyone who isn't concerned should be, but if you are saying it is the same as last year I think you are wrong.

Posted by: Garth, August 30, 2015, 8:00am; Reply: 5
Silly mistakes in defence, goalkeeping and sending offs along with tinkering for tinkering sake haven't helped us so far this season, however we have the best squad and manager for some time and there's still along way to go so plenty of time for the creame to rise
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, August 30, 2015, 8:56am; Reply: 6
I don't understand how people can say hurst tinkers for tinkerings sake. If a player has a brilliant game we want him to start the next game, but what if, after that game in the lead up to the next one, he is tired and not on it in training? We don't see that but the manager does. Unless posters who say this sort of thing are on the coaching staff I struggle to give such a post any validity.
Posted by: oldun, August 30, 2015, 9:13am; Reply: 7
Once we get a couple of clean sheets we will see a good run of results. Remember last year our defensive record was excellent and I see no reason why we cannot get back to that. Clearly we are better in attack than last season when failure to create or take enough chances cost us. We have 2 strikers who are on track to get 20 goals each. We have other attackers back from injury. So reasons to be positive.
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 30, 2015, 9:16am; Reply: 8
I think sometimes you've got to ignore where we are in the table and simply enjoy supporting your team. And this team, for me personally, is making it easy for me to support them with entertaining performances. We could all support your Manchester City's or Manchester Uniteds but we don't, and telling people that I dont and telling them who I support is always a pleasure, no matter where we are in any league. I sometimes think of what it would be like if we didn't have a club and it puts it into perspective for me as to how lucky I am to have a club that I feel proud to support, and means I always try to be positive about Grimsby Town. Naturally some people will think I'm babbling on, and I totally understand their critical stance, its your right as a supporter. But sometimes you just have to enjoy supporting other wise why do you do it?
Posted by: barralad, August 30, 2015, 9:23am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Mariner93er
I think sometimes you've got to ignore where we are in the table and simply enjoy supporting your team. And this team, for me personally, is making it easy for me to support them with entertaining performances. We could all support your Manchester City's or Manchester Uniteds but we don't, and telling people that I dont and telling them who I support is always a pleasure, no matter where we are in any league. I sometimes think of what it would be like if we didn't have a club and it puts it into perspective for me as to how lucky I am to have a club that I feel proud to support, and means I always try to be positive about Grimsby Town. Naturally some people will think I'm babbling on, and I totally understand their critical stance, its your right as a supporter. But sometimes you just have to enjoy supporting other wise why do you do it?

Hallelujah!! The Sunday morning voice of reason (and in about 100 words less than it took me to say the same thing!)

Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 30, 2015, 9:34am; Reply: 10
Quoted from grimps

It's not about staying positive, it's about having been at the game and having a view on it. In the last two games we have snatched a point against the odds, granted Hurst made too many changes against Torquay IMO but the players still showed the character and ability to comeback 2nd half. Yesterday was a very good performance, I can't remember us playing so well with 10 men. If you haven't made it to the game, in my eyes you don't have a valid opinion on it, I realise people can't always make the game for whatever reason but sitting, getting mad at the radio and the fishy can't be fun.

Posted by: Ipswin, August 30, 2015, 9:41am; Reply: 11
Quoted from grimps

Exfuckingactly!

Posted by: LH, August 30, 2015, 9:43am; Reply: 12
Surely a draw with an hour with ten men is a good result regardless whether you've been or not? Or do some people just want to moan for the sake of it? There is no party line to toe imo. We all want the same thing it's just some of us are a little more patient than others.
Posted by: codcheeky, August 30, 2015, 9:47am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Mariner93er

Excellent post, the same people who are unhappy now will still be unhappy if we were not winning every week in league one or league two, we all want town promoted but the constant negativity by a few especially when they havent even been to the match is ridiculous
Posted by: big al, August 30, 2015, 10:19am; Reply: 14
Quoted from jonnyboy82
First off can I say there are the likes of Ginny and chaos who basically say what i mean but in a more passive way shall we say , then you have me who say what i think and try to be reasonable with a bit of sometimes i admit awful banter   but some agree with me to the main that its the same old chopping and changing to poor start year on year..

Some can take it in their stride and not be concerned its like previous seasons on repeat like barra fishoutofwater and headingly mariner and thats fair play to them thats there opinion even if it to me makes them rather easily pleased or deluded not sure yet which.

Then you have forza plus some strange bloke who pretends to be pizza and his buddies who just straight away go for insults and have very little up top to form a valid opinion so i pretty much disregard what they say tbh.

The common thing is we all want promotion and some can see paul getting it hopefully before 2020 and some cant and are not happy this is our fifth season and seem to be lagging behind quite alot already.

I honestly have nothing personal towards him much to somes surprise maybe i just cant sit back after being 9 points behind the leaders already and hope things come good , i like to think all the chopping and needless changing paul does he does because he thinks its worth it i like to say he does it because he still does not know that a settled eleven is key to a successful team.

I must admit his interviews are much improved but his management skills and even the way his team starts seasons are not.

I even saw someone put on here that paul pulled off a masterstroke for leaving two strikers on yesterday i mean come on we were losing ffs it was hardly a masterstroke.

Anyway what im saying is good luck to town and i will be attending most games when work permits me to but im done for a bit on here now as i think we all need a bit of a break from each other   and lets hope town can pull a run together.

It's not the same though. A team with character, commitment and ambition. Not going our way at present and I too doubt us being champions now but the football is good to watch - it's not the same.

Posted by: mariner91, August 30, 2015, 10:27am; Reply: 15
I don't have an issue with someone being negative, of course there are things that are cause for concern. But I find it hilarious when people comment on the entertainment value of a performance they've not seen or experienced.
Posted by: denni266, August 30, 2015, 11:54am; Reply: 16
Dont see why you should be bullied off the sit just because  some dont like to hear the truth.  everyone sees things differently. just some on here want to force ther opinnion on the site
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 30, 2015, 12:18pm; Reply: 17
A goal is given that did not cross the line in our only defeat, Must be Hurst's fault,

A defender gives a pen away and gets sent off, Must be Hurst's fault ,

In the first match our defenders give silly goals away, Must be Hurst's fault,

The only blame I put at Hurst's door is dropping Amond against Torquay, He wont do that again,

You will be back Jonnyboy after we win the next 3 games,

Enjoy your break. :)
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, August 30, 2015, 12:28pm; Reply: 18
Jonnyboy, you forgot that classic quote that keeps popping up this season, "On paper, we have the best team in the league"

What a shame the game is played on grass and not paper  ;)

I am with you all the way on this argument, Paul Hurst will NEVER get us out of this league, he just does not have the ability to change things around when our backs are against the wall.
Posted by: speedy, August 30, 2015, 1:01pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Tangerine Chris
Jonnyboy, you forgot that classic quote that keeps popping up this season, "On paper, we have the best team in the league"

What a shame the game is played on grass and not paper  ;)

I am with you all the way on this argument, Paul Hurst will NEVER get us out of this league, he just does not have the ability to change things around when our backs are against the wall.

2-0 down.. got back to 2-2.. 1-0 down with 10 men.. got to 1-1.. what exactly do you mean he can't change things when our backs are against the wall? I'd say he often struggles to change it when we're ahead to give us that extra needed to win.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, August 30, 2015, 1:12pm; Reply: 20
Not the time to jump ship when the going gets tough the tough get going and we WILL get going don't panic and keep the faith.
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 30, 2015, 1:17pm; Reply: 21
The reason why this message board is one of the best out there is because of the variety of views.

We could all stand in a line and watch a sequence of play and all have different opinions of how the play developed, some may miss a pass, a run off the ball or an incident that leads to sending off.

If you feel that you are not getting your point across, read thoroughly the differing views and try and reword your counter debate.  Obviously there will be times when there is no common ground and the two opposing views will be at check mate, that's life.

Frustration does get to us all at some point but Mariner93er excellent comments from above in reply 8 hit the nail on the head for me, well said.
Posted by: forza ivano, August 30, 2015, 1:28pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Ta ta(thumbup2)(thumbup2)(thumbup2)
Posted by: grimps, August 30, 2015, 2:18pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Mariner93er

We've always had fantastic supporters who go more for a day out than any real expectation of success  , especially away from home.
I've been following the Mariners over 30 years and most of my best days have been on the road.
When we was in the championship we'd often take more to the likes of Norwich , Ipswich even Birmingham than they'd ever bring to ours despite them getting 4 times as many home fans as us.

I'd be willing to bet that 4-500 of those that went away to Lincoln will not be present at the home game on Monday,An away day is treated more as a urine up by most of our fans
Maybe a new stadium with good bars and facilities could turn the home experience into the same kind of thing ?

I'm not sure why and it makes no sense to fans of other clubs how a none league team can regularly take 50% of their home support away
Posted by: RonMariner, August 30, 2015, 2:43pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Mariner93er

Well said.
It is frustrating right now, but it is early days and there is definitely hope. I think this squad is capable of going on a strong run and, if it were to come to it, I think are far more capable of winning the play offs than previous  recent squads.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 30, 2015, 3:02pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from headingly_mariner

It's not about staying positive, it's about having been at the game and having a view on it. In the last two games we have snatched a point against the odds, granted Hurst made too many changes against Torquay IMO but the players still showed the character and ability to comeback 2nd half. Yesterday was a very good performance, I can't remember us playing so well with 10 men. If you haven't made it to the game, in my eyes you don't have a valid opinion on it, I realise people can't always make the game for whatever reason but sitting, getting mad at the radio and the fishy can't be fun.

Would it be a fair (and not negative ;) ) question to ask why the odds go against us in the first place if we are playing as well as people say we are? It does seem to happen too frequently for comfort doesn't it?

Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 30, 2015, 3:25pm; Reply: 26

Would it be a fair (and not negative ;) ) question to ask why the odds go against us in the first place if we are playing as well as people say we are? It does seem to happen too frequently for comfort doesn't it?

Personally I think Torquay was the wrong team selection but we gave away two soft goals. Yesterday was a poor decision from the ref or gowling or blatant cheating. Do good teams not go behind or suffer poor form?
Posted by: GrimRob, August 30, 2015, 3:32pm; Reply: 27
Most important thing is that we stick together and that our players can feel our pride when they pull on their shirts.Every football team "drops" points, and some points feel more dropped than others. It's far more enjoyable going to games when everyone backs the team and manager as they do at the moment.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 30, 2015, 3:38pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Personally I think Torquay was the wrong team selection but we gave away two soft goals. Yesterday was a poor decision from the ref or gowling or blatant cheating. Do good teams not go behind or suffer poor form?

You push some one in the face on a football pitch you risk a red card,gowling to blame he didn't need to put himself in that position
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 30, 2015, 3:43pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Quoted from Marinerz93
The reason why this message board is one of the best out there is because of the variety of views.

We could all stand in a line and watch a sequence of play and all have different opinions of how the play developed, some may miss a pass, a run off the ball or an incident that leads to sending off.

If you feel that you are not getting your point across, read thoroughly the differing views and try and reword your counter debate.  Obviously there will be times when there is no common ground and the two opposing views will be at check mate, that's life.

Frustration does get to us all at some point but Mariner93er excellent comments from above in reply 8 hit the nail on the head for me, well said.

Easily pleased or deluded....that made me smile  ;)

I don't think it's the latter but I can't disagree - maybe I am more easily pleased than some. Maybe I should change my name to HeadInTheSand eh?

Doesn't mean I am totally happy with our current situation but I am prepared to reserve judgement on this season as we are still only a few games in...

What I have to agree with is our common aim....there's the rub though. I am prepared to wait and see how things pan out in the first few months and don't think that our position relative to FGR for example is that serious.

I know we all wanted a great start and it's not happened but let's not forget it is also about how you finish. How many of us thought that Mansfield would be the champions when we tore them to bits on an August Bank Holiday Monday a couple of years ago. We might have been looked on then as favourites and them the also-rans but it didn't work out that way in the long run

Anyway Johnnyboy I have to say I've enjoyed your views...maybe a bit less forgiving than I could be but your perception is your reality. If you think that we're floundering, who is to say you aren't right? Just because we don't agree on the way ahead doesn't mean we don't want the same destination.

Maybe I am a bit deluded as you say but anyway I've given your profile a + because when all is said and done, your passion for Town can't be ignored and as Marinerz93 says, the diversity of views is what makes this board; if we were all the same what a boring place it might be

UTM
Posted by: GYinScuntland, August 30, 2015, 3:48pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from grimps

We've always had fantastic supporters who go more for a day out than any real expectation of success  , especially away from home.
I've been following the Mariners over 30 years and most of my best days have been on the road.
When we was in the championship we'd often take more to the likes of Norwich , Ipswich even Birmingham than they'd ever bring to ours despite them getting 4 times as many home fans as us.

I'd be willing to bet that 4-500 of those that went away to Lincoln will not be present at the home game on Monday,An away day is treated more as a urine up by most of our fansMaybe a new stadium with good bars and facilities could turn the home experience into the same kind of thing ?

I'm not sure why and it makes no sense to fans of other clubs how a none league team can regularly take 50% of their home support away

I totally agree with this post and the bold bit especially. I have to admit for the last 12 years at least doing more away days per season than home ones. The main reason is it gives a chance of hooking up with Town supporting mates across the country, we have said for years that it's a good weekend sometimes spoiled by the football.
Most of my work days off are routed around getting to some game or other and swapping shifts can be a nightmare as the illegitimates always want them paying back.
With this in mind I would rather have a weekend away with the other half in say Southport or Torquay than one in Cleethorpes, I just like to travel and it's my preference.
Yes I went to Lincoln and I'm looking forward to a new ground at Boreham Wood but because of that I'm working a payback on Monday so a younger Lad can take his family out on a Bank Holiday.
Much the same with Altrincham where I could get a swop easy on a Tuesday, also Chester and Wrexham. With all those mentioned games and stopovers included, that's 12 shifts to swop and pay back. The lads at work nearly always want Saturdays off to go out with family so I sacrifice the home games when required.
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 30, 2015, 3:50pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I don't think it's the latter but maybe I am more easily pleased than some I can't disagree

Doesn't mean I am totally happy with our current situation but I am prepared to reserve judgement on this season as we are still only a few games in...

What I have to agree with is our common aim....there's the rub though. I am prepared to wait and see how things pan out in the first few months and don't think that our position relative to FGR for example is that serious.

I know we all wanted a great start and it's not happened but let's not forget it is also about how you finish. How many of us thought that Mansfield would be the champions when we tore them to bits on an August Bank Holiday Monday a couple of years ago. We might have been looked on then as favourites and them the also-rans but it didn't work out that way in the long run

Anyway Johnnyboy I have to say I've enjoyed your views...maybe a bit less forgiving than I could be but your perception is your reality. If you think that we're floundering, who is to say you aren't right? Just because we don't agree on the way ahead doesn't mean we don't want the same destination. Maybe I am a bit deluded as you say but anyway I've given your profile a + because when all is said and done, your passion for Town can't be ignored and as Marinerz93 says, the diversity of views is what makes this board; if we were all the same what a boring place it might be

UTM

Great post, agree with it all.

Posted by: cmackenzie4, August 30, 2015, 4:02pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I don't think it's the latter but I can't disagree - maybe I am more easily pleased than some. Maybe I should change my name to HeadInTheSand eh?

Anyway Johnnyboy I have to say I've enjoyed your views...maybe a bit less forgiving than I could be but your perception is your reality. If you think that we're floundering, who is to say you aren't right? Just because we don't agree on the way ahead doesn't mean we don't want the same destination.

Maybe I am a bit deluded as you say but anyway I've given your profile a + because when all is said and done, your passion for Town can't be ignored and as Marinerz93 says, the diversity of views is what makes this board; if we were all the same what a boring place it might be

UTM

A great post Tim.
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, August 30, 2015, 5:02pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from denni266
Dont see why you should be bullied off the sit just because  some dont like to hear the truth.  everyone sees things differently. just some on here want to force ther opinnion on the site

Whose truth?
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, August 30, 2015, 6:54pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from speedy

2-0 down.. got back to 2-2.. 1-0 down with 10 men.. got to 1-1.. what exactly do you mean he can't change things when our backs are against the wall? I'd say he often struggles to change it when we're ahead to give us that extra needed to win.

How many of those games did we win?  NONE.  You do not win leagues and get promotions with draws and loses

Posted by: mariner91, August 30, 2015, 7:04pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Tangerine Chris

How many of those games did we win?  NONE.  You do not win leagues and get promotions with draws and loses

But you can win league and get promotion from getting points from difficult positions. Yes we need to turn more games into wins but I shouldn't think we'll go 2 down very often or have a man off after half an hour. Those two points could potentially be very important.
Posted by: BS baffles brains, August 30, 2015, 7:49pm; Reply: 36
At the end of the day this is all opinions,  and none of it will change anything, but we are all entitled to ours,  all the best Johnny and the banter is always missed, without banter life would be a little boring.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 30, 2015, 8:11pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from mariner91

But you can win league and get promotion from getting points from difficult positions. Yes we need to turn more games into wins but I shouldn't think we'll go 2 down very often or have a man off after half an hour. Those two points could potentially be very important.

Absolutely right. The only thing is - the really good sides make class tell and don't get themselves into that position in the first place. You have to see both sides of the coin.

It's all history now but history has a habit of repeating itself doesn't it?
Posted by: Teestogreen, August 30, 2015, 8:23pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

You push some one in the face on a football pitch you risk a red card,gowling to blame he didn't need to put himself in that position

Interesting point. When I said to my Carlisle friends last weekend that Gowling was with Town (some of whom already knew that) - their opinion was that (when he had a spell with Carlisle United) he was a bit 'soft' defensively.

From what I have seen of him, he appears to be a cultured footballer.

Posted by: mariner91, August 30, 2015, 9:20pm; Reply: 39

Absolutely right. The only thing is - the really good sides make class tell and don't get themselves into that position in the first place. You have to see both sides of the coin.

It's all history now but history has a habit of repeating itself doesn't it?

Every team gets men sent off and goes goals down. Champions don't very often and we'll have to make sure we don't again. But champions always get a point or three against the odds so at least that's in our favour so far.
Posted by: LH, August 30, 2015, 9:22pm; Reply: 40
We need to have more banter on here LADs. #bantz #LADs
Posted by: Rik e B, August 30, 2015, 10:17pm; Reply: 41
"Your perception is your reality" is the head of the nail I was thinking about when reading this earlier. As for 'the truth', nobody knows the real truth, see above.
Posted by: Abdul19, August 30, 2015, 10:44pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from LH
We need to have more banter on here LADs. #bantz #LADs

The Fishy Bible
Posted by: heppy88, August 30, 2015, 11:15pm; Reply: 43
We all want automatic promotion, of course. But what some would like is automatic promotion won convincingly.
But you see, we dont have to win the league convincingly, we just have to win the league.
You can still win a match even if you dont win it convincingly and the same goes with winning the league!
Okay we all have to agree that it has not been the most (convincing) start that we had all hoped for, but as others have commented, all the ingredients are there and the team have showed real character, that they can come back to salvage points after individual errors (players,management and officials) put us behind.
Its not going to be the run away, convincing promotion we all hoped for, after the Operation Promotion excitement. But I honestly believe it will be promotion nevertheless.
Posted by: lukeo, August 31, 2015, 7:24am; Reply: 44
Not read any replies but I kind of feel the same way, I've hardly been on the past couple of weeks because I hate to read negative crap after only 5-6 games. I can't even listen to talk sport, 'stanno' oh Saturday said "is this the end of the title challenge for Chelsea"
Posted by: BIGChris, August 31, 2015, 9:01am; Reply: 45
Everyone has a view and is fully entitled to it.

On Wednesday I listened to a call to a national radio station from a Luton fan who insisted John Still had to be sacked because he made changes that resulted in them failing to beat Premiership Stoke City. Most will strongly disagree, he admitted he was in the minority of Luton fans but nevertheless he is entitled to his view
Posted by: ginnywings, August 31, 2015, 9:37am; Reply: 46
Are there that many calling for Hurst's head? A handful at most.

There is a lot of frustration among Town fans and the fishy is an outlet. Trouble is that any form of criticism is seen as "negative crap" as Lukeo succinctly puts it. There also seems to be this smug view among some that if you weren't at the game, you don't deserve an opinion.
Posted by: mariner91, August 31, 2015, 9:42am; Reply: 47
Quoted from ginnywings

There is a lot of frustration among Town fans and the fishy is an outlet. Trouble is that any form of criticism is seen as "negative crap" as Lukeo succinctly puts it. There also seems to be this smug view among some that if you weren't at the game, you don't deserve an opinion.

Good point about the fishy being an outlet. I, personally, don't mind people having an opinion on a game they didn't attend but it is ridiculous when they try to claim it wasn't entertaining. Like saying a film you haven't seen isn't entertaining. There are problems that need sorting and we need to do it sooner rather than later but the games this season have been entertaining!
Posted by: BIGChris, August 31, 2015, 10:11am; Reply: 48
Quoted from ginnywings

'Smugly' I will never understand how anyone can criticise individuals players & their performances without being at the game.

What they are perfectly entitled to is a general overview re results and league position etc
Posted by: Grimal, August 31, 2015, 10:37am; Reply: 49
Quoted from ginnywings

I think the wording is wrong here,everyone is entitled to an opinion but someone that hasn't attended a game can give an opinion as to how they visualise a game went  from views given by people who did attend and any commentary they may listen to but both of these  can and do very often have different opinions.

Posted by: Maringer, August 31, 2015, 10:45am; Reply: 50
It's as much that some people make judgements about the games in the immediate aftermath based on nothing but radio commentary (and possibly their own prejudices) without even hearing what the people who have actually been at the game have said.

You know the kind of thing, "So and so is rubbish", "Hurst blundered there", "This lot will never be good enough" etc etc. Then fans actually at the game come back and say we played OK, were unluckly, lost or drew due to poor refereeing/cheating/whatever.

I don't make it to many away games so I always like to hear what Hurst says post-match and read what is said in the "Just back" threads before taking a view one way or the other.

I have to admit that I don't listen to the games on the radio any longer. Too many years of listening to us fail has, erm, dampened my enthusiasm for following the game in this way. I'll generally just check the score at half-time then maybe start reading the messageboards near the end of the game to find out what has been going on.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 31, 2015, 11:12am; Reply: 51
Quoted from BIGChris

'Smugly' I will never understand how anyone can criticise individuals players & their performances without being at the game.

What they are perfectly entitled to is a general overview re results and league position etc

Agreed and that is what i was alluding to. If people who were clearly not at the game are commenting on individual performances and nuances of the game, then yeah, they need to be questioned. I hope my comments reflect what i see at BP and the general position of the team at any given point in the season. I spoke to my brother and nephew on saturday, who were both at the game and the general consensus was that we played really well and didn't get the rub of the green again. We will all be at BP today, hoping for a good win.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 31, 2015, 4:45pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Mariner93er

Enjoying being a Grimsby Town supporter and being critical are not mutually exclusive. If they were, if you didn't "enjoy" it in some way you would give up and not complain when things don't go well.
Posted by: thefish, August 31, 2015, 8:23pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from jonnyboy82

The boy who cried wolf.
Posted by: HighamMariner, September 1, 2015, 1:42pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Grimal

I think the wording is wrong here,everyone is entitled to an opinion but someone that hasn't attended a game can give an opinion as to how they visualise a game went  from views given by people who did attend and any commentary they may listen to but both of these  can and do very often have different opinions.

To stir the pot further, you could ask any 10 individuals about a match they watched and you wouldn't get 10 identical opinions.  I'm with the poster above who feels it's okay to comment on the general position and status.

However, back to the OP......... Go Johnny go go go.   Only this time........... keep fu(king going  ;)
Print page generated: May 19, 2024, 2:31pm