Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: tintowner, May 21, 2015, 5:47pm
Named in the latest England squad..................really?
Posted by: BIGChris, May 21, 2015, 5:49pm; Reply: 1
Rob Scott always did say he was good!!
Posted by: Abdul19, May 21, 2015, 6:06pm; Reply: 2
2 of England's 4 strikers have got a whopping 8 league goals between them this season
Posted by: tintowner, May 21, 2015, 6:09pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Abdul19
2 of England's 4 strikers have got a whopping 8 league goals between them this season

And one of the goalies has just been relegated with his club!
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, May 21, 2015, 6:12pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from tintowner

And one of the goalies has just been relegated with his club!

2 of the goalies have just been relegated, but Forster and Foster are injured. So how many English keepers does that leave in the top flight?

People used to complain about over-relying on the top 4 clubs, and now they moan about playing form players from lower Prem clubs. England boss can't win, (poor phrase to use that though i admit...)
Posted by: Abdul19, May 21, 2015, 6:22pm; Reply: 5
I suppose Heaton's only in because Butland's with the 21s (and Vardy because of Kane)
Posted by: tintowner, May 21, 2015, 6:24pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

2 of the goalies have just been relegated, but Forster and Foster are injured. So how many English keepers does that leave in the top flight?

People used to complain about over-relying on the top 4 clubs, and now they moan about playing form players from lower Prem clubs. England boss can't win, (poor phrase to use that though i admit...)

Oooops ..... your right.......Rob Green is so far off my radar that I totally didn.t notice he was in the squad.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 21, 2015, 6:32pm; Reply: 7
If only the club had listened to the Fishy regarding Vardy.
Posted by: mimma, May 21, 2015, 7:01pm; Reply: 8
Halifax got £50,000 for Vardy when he signed for Fleetwood.

We got Hearn, who scored his goals a division higher, for free.

Hindsight is wonder full stuff.

Posted by: grimsby pete, May 21, 2015, 7:09pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from mimma

I thought we paid £35,000 for Hearn.
Posted by: nightrider, May 21, 2015, 7:09pm; Reply: 10
Hearns had everything except pace. Imo he could never play much higher because of this
Posted by: monkeyboy, May 21, 2015, 7:17pm; Reply: 11
i like Vardy and think he has been exeptional for Leicster, Hodgeson seems to think so.
Dont have to be playin top 4 to be a good player!
Posted by: ginnywings, May 21, 2015, 7:27pm; Reply: 12
Vardy has the pace and tenacity to ruffle any defenders. Think he deserves a call up as there isn't much else in that department for England.
Posted by: mimma, May 21, 2015, 7:47pm; Reply: 13
Sorry, just checked, we paid £30,000 for Hearn.

Vardy's fee was "undisclosed", although I seem to remember £50,000 mentioned.
Posted by: mariner91, May 21, 2015, 7:49pm; Reply: 14
4 goals is a pretty terrible return for a striker regardless of where your team is in the league.

In 35 appearances as well, 1 in 9.
Posted by: Meza, May 21, 2015, 7:54pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from mariner91
4 goals is a pretty terrible return for a striker regardless of where your team is in the league.

In 35 appearances as well, 1 in 9.

It is but how many assists did he get and how many goal scoring chances did he create by being fouled.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 21, 2015, 8:01pm; Reply: 16
I remember seeing the goal he scored at Fleetwood one cold wet night and he ran half the length of the pitch to tell Rob Scott to ************
Posted by: mariner91, May 21, 2015, 8:03pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Meza

It is but how many assists did he get and how many goal scoring chances did he create by being fouled.

7 assists. Again, not brilliant in 35 games, an assist every 5 games coupled with a goal every 9. Or to look at it differently, being directly involved with a goal every 3.2 games. Really poor for a striker.

Don't know about being fouled, don't know how to look that up.
Posted by: gytone, May 21, 2015, 8:33pm; Reply: 18
Sometimes he gets fouled and then sometimes he dives all over the place  :P
Posted by: Meza, May 21, 2015, 8:43pm; Reply: 19
He's a good player and there aint many that like to run at defenders like he does maybe sterling.  But when you play like that there is a chance you could lose the ball by being tackled similar to a winger.  I hope he does well and a great advert for non league seeing that's were he started.
Posted by: mariner91, May 21, 2015, 8:43pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Meza
He's a good player and there aint many that like to run at defenders like he does maybe sterling.  But when you play like that there is a chance you could lose the ball by being tackled similar to a winger.  I hope he does well and a great advert for non league seeing that's were he started.

He's a decent player but he most certainly isn't international standard.
Posted by: Meza, May 21, 2015, 8:45pm; Reply: 21
We'll soon find out lol i just hope we don't get embarrassed by eire
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 21, 2015, 8:51pm; Reply: 22
Chris Smalling was a non league player a few years before joining Man Ure
Posted by: Meza, May 21, 2015, 8:56pm; Reply: 23
Thats a good point how many ex non league players have played prem/championship football

Charlie Austin
Jamie Vardy
Chris Smalling
Andre Gray
Jerome Beckford
Joe Lolley
Marcus Maddison
Posted by: Abdul19, May 21, 2015, 9:00pm; Reply: 24
Does Carl Jenkinson count? (Maddison's only played L1 though I think)
Posted by: Meza, May 21, 2015, 9:03pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Abdul19
Does Carl Jenkinson count? (Maddison's only played L1 though I think)

Yeah im not sure my football knowledge aint what it use to be i wasn't sure about Maddison.
Posted by: nightrider, May 21, 2015, 9:39pm; Reply: 26
That night at Fleetwood, Town had a good team and played well against a top of the league side.
Fleetwood got abit of luck with Church, the weak link, and then the difference in the end was Vardy.
Posted by: RichMariner, May 21, 2015, 9:55pm; Reply: 27
The difference was Vardy, helped massively by a referee only too keen to give them a penalty when he took a dive.

I'm still quite bitter about that night - and Vardy's celebration. Fair enough if an opposing manager has been giving you grief - the best way to answer him is to score.

But Vardy took himself - and literally every other teammate - into our technical area during that celebration. I've got a screen pic of it somewhere.

But the thing that really got me was that we were fined that night for 'failing to control' our players. And the fans were locked in the ground after the game for reasons I'm still not aware of.

So we were treated like the trouble causers, the antagonists, yet Vardy was free to do what the hell he liked that night and got away with abolutely everything.

Quite bitter? Very bitter  :P
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 21, 2015, 10:51pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from nightrider
That night at Fleetwood, Town had a good team and played well against a top of the league side.
Fleetwood got abit of luck with Church, the weak link, and then the difference in the end was Vardy.

Yep, one of our best performances of the season, better than when we played there with Woods as manager (was he still in charge then), Christ that was an appalling game.

Posted by: LH, May 21, 2015, 11:15pm; Reply: 29
He looks like he'd stink of Lynx Africa and WKD but I bet he's got good banter. LAD. Doubt he'll be anywhere near the squad again.
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 21, 2015, 11:27pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from mimma

Vardy went for a lot more than 50k
Posted by: mariner2000, May 21, 2015, 11:30pm; Reply: 31
whilst the numbers you provide might not prove it Vardy has been exceptional for Leicester this year, far better than most, yes most Premier league strikers, certainly outperforming those at the top 4, even if his goals or assists ratio don't show that.  I doubted he would get a call up as England are blessed in this department and suffer in midfield and central defence.

Interestingly Vardy is the only player  ever to have scored against.both.....

Scum Utd and ..................................FC United.

If you need a player to come on and run his bottom off or indeed put a huge shift in when you know Welbeck or Sturridge or indeed Rooney couldn't be arsed you know that Vardy will do it EVERY SINGLE TIME.  

I always hope every England call up meets expectation as it's better to have too many choices than not enough.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 21, 2015, 11:47pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from LH
He looks like he'd stink of Lynx Africa and WKD but I bet he's got good banter. LAD.

;D
Posted by: mariner91, May 21, 2015, 11:58pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from mariner2000
whilst the numbers you provide might not prove it Vardy has been exceptional for Leicester this year, far better than most, yes most Premier league strikers, certainly outperforming those at the top 4, even if his goals or assists ratio don't show that.  I doubted he would get a call up as England are blessed in this department and suffer in midfield and central defence.

Interestingly Vardy is the only player  ever to have scored against.both.....

Scum Utd and ..................................FC United.

If you need a player to come on and run his bottom off or indeed put a huge shift in when you know Welbeck or Sturridge or indeed Rooney couldn't be arsed you know that Vardy will do it EVERY SINGLE TIME.  

I always hope every England call up meets expectation as it's better to have too many choices than not enough.

I don't think you can claim Welbeck is never arsed, Rooney also usually works very hard. And I know which one I'd have out of Vardy and Sturridge every time provided Sturridge wasn't injured. How the hell you can claim he has been "far better than most PL strikers" is beyond me when he's not even in the top 50 leading scorers. Utterly ridiculous comment. I appreciate there is more to playing up front than just scoring but if you're also not getting that many assists then you're not providing anything more than a lot of effort which is what you get from most strikers as a minimum. Are you his agent or something?

There were 13 English strikers who scored more than him this season FFS, he most certainly wasn't performing "far better" than them.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 22, 2015, 8:37am; Reply: 34
Ian Wright was playing non-league for Greenwich when he was signed by Crystal Palace. Being non-league doesn't mean the end of the world for a player, only for clubs. ;)
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 22, 2015, 11:06am; Reply: 35
I think Vardy is miles and miles away from what we would all hope the England international standard is.

But considering we've got strikers made of glass (Carroll and Sturridge) and least two dropping down to the Under 21's (Kane and Berahino)...who else is there?

Even of the four he's called up with Austin has had fits and starts of form, Rooney has spent most of the season in midfield and Welbeck has been in and out of the Arsenal team.

Yes he's well down the pecking order and it's representative of the options available, yes he looks an absolute bell but who else was Hodgson supposed to call up?  
Posted by: gtfc98, May 22, 2015, 11:15am; Reply: 36
I wonder if Shouty has been on the phone to congratulate him?

Bloody hell I'm glad we're shut of that arrogant, obnoxious sharp object!
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 22, 2015, 11:15am; Reply: 37
One things for certain, it can't have been easy for Vardy to tell the lads he was bailing on Magaluf 2015.
Posted by: Maringer, May 22, 2015, 11:36am; Reply: 38
Welbeck has scored 6 goals in his last 6 appearances for England. Rooney has scored 7 goals in his last 8 appearances for England. Providing they are both fit, they will start the Slovenia game so it wouldn't surprise me to see Vardy and Austin play a significant part in the friendly against Ireland. However, if both games were qualifiers, I don't doubt that Kane and Berahino would have been kept in the senior squad in place of Vardy and Austin.

In fact, should there be any injury issues, these two will certainly be called up to the senior squad from the U-21s for the Slovenia game.

Longer-term, I'd have thought Danny Ings would be more likely to find a regular place in the senior squad than either Austin or Vardy.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 22, 2015, 1:55pm; Reply: 39
Ings has struggled a bit since Xmas though.  His goalscoring return this season isn't exactly the stuff to get excited about.  

I agree that he's more likely to feature in future squads than Vardy though.  

I'm pleased that we actually appear to  be paying a bit more than lip service to the Under 21 tournament with a handful of lads who have got legitimate shouts for the full squad getting called up.  
Posted by: Maringer, May 22, 2015, 2:35pm; Reply: 40
Yep. It's ridiculous the way our young 'talent' has always cried off from the U-21 tournaments because they are too 'tired' when the continentals see it as a real honour and a stepping stone to the senior squad.

I note that Spurs were trying to dissuade Kane from playing but he's ignored them. Let's hope we do OK this summer.
Posted by: oldun, May 22, 2015, 5:21pm; Reply: 41
The lad has done well for himself and has a great work ethic, but.... We are talking about an international team here and I fail to see how he can be compared with top international players. The future for England? I don't think so. Oh and whatever happened to Ricky Lanbert? I rest my case.
Print page generated: May 31, 2024, 7:39am