Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: BeijingMariner, March 25, 2015, 10:04am
http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/town-snap-up-midfield-man-2356488.aspx
Posted by: Tom13, March 25, 2015, 10:05am; Reply: 1
Whoops, beat me to it!
Posted by: BeijingMariner, March 25, 2015, 10:11am; Reply: 2
Quoted from Tom13
Whoops, beat me to it!

:-) quick on the draw in Beijing, we are :-)
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, March 25, 2015, 10:14am; Reply: 3
guess a winger ?
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 25, 2015, 10:16am; Reply: 4
Not heard of him before but at 23, he should have some have some fresh legs and energy to contribute.

Another body is always welcome.  Each game is critical with small margins probably making the difference.

With his surname, are we also looking at divine intervention?
Posted by: Belfast Town, March 25, 2015, 10:17am; Reply: 5
Odd to make signing so late in the season, with no apparent need. Must be highly rated.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, March 25, 2015, 10:20am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Belfast Town
Odd to make signing so late in the season, with no apparent need. Must be highly rated.

Sounds promising.

however Jolley and Arnold are our only available wingers atm
Posted by: Garth, March 25, 2015, 10:28am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Belfast Town

Can`t really fault Hurst signings up to now, worried for a while with Arnold and Jack but they have improved a lot in the last weeks, one of those gems that can`t be overlooked it seems and Jacks injury left us with only an out of form Jolley as an alternative
Posted by: gtfc82, March 25, 2015, 10:30am; Reply: 8
Good idea in case of injuries! Also I've not been impressed at all by Jolley as a winger! It doesn't look like his natural position!
Posted by: psgmariner, March 25, 2015, 10:30am; Reply: 9
Good news. Jolley is not a winger and is not really doing much anywhere else.
Posted by: psgmariner, March 25, 2015, 10:32am; Reply: 10
Seems he is homesick so a move back oop North is just what he needs:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27314561
Posted by: Stew0_0, March 25, 2015, 10:33am; Reply: 11
Heard of him and remember him being highly rated. I assume he signed as Hurst was expecting more from Jolley who IMO has been average since he signed. Always good to have cover in all positions too in case of injury or illness in the case of Mackreth
Posted by: mike502, March 25, 2015, 10:47am; Reply: 12
"He later joined Torquay in a loan spell toward the end of last season and played his part in changing their poor run of form, as results improved to keep United in League 2."

Errrm...
Posted by: acko338, March 25, 2015, 10:51am; Reply: 13
Mm-m-m-m-mm ???

New chauffeur for the manager in Sheffield / Rotherham area?

Scores goals as well from his past record, and another positive move by Hurst with Director backing to cover all options in the season run in - perhaps grabbing one for next year in advance??

Proper promotion intent !!
Posted by: RichMariner, March 25, 2015, 10:56am; Reply: 14
This is what Alan Knill said about Chapell when he signed him as Torquay boss two years ago:

"Jordan is quick, direct and the important part is that he knows the league. I live in Sheffield and when the United youth team had a good cup run, I watched a lot of their games and Jordan was one of the outstanding players. We lose Billy Bodin for two games next week because of duty with the Wales Under 21 side, so we needed somebody in. Jordan can play either wing or behind the striker, and he is technically very good."
Posted by: nickmariners, March 25, 2015, 11:25am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Stew0_0
Heard of him and remember him being highly rated. I assume he signed as Hurst was expecting more from Jolley who IMO has been average since he signed. Always good to have cover in all positions too in case of injury or illness in the case of Mackreth

I thought that in the first half last night Jolley showed a lot more energy and contributed better than previously.  Some good darting runs into box and cut-back crosses.   Hopefully, "he's getting there".
Posted by: AdamHaddock, March 25, 2015, 11:36am; Reply: 16
Welcome Jordan

Hopefully some centre half cover may also come in soon
Posted by: LondonMariner43, March 25, 2015, 11:42am; Reply: 17
Maybe also one to run the rule over for next season if Arnold doesn't stay.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 25, 2015, 11:58am; Reply: 18
Another reason Torquay players are keen to leave?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-3007723/Torquay-United-players-earn-average-375-week-16-years-earn-Manchester-United-s-Wayne-Rooney-makes-seven-days.html
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 25, 2015, 11:58am; Reply: 19
These Torquay fans don't seem bothered that he is leaving them.

http://forum.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8025&sid=9adb74f03ce4e332edf716cc977de751
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, March 25, 2015, 12:03pm; Reply: 20
Comment on facebook from a Torquay fan:
"Fuming with this news  one of our better players in a poor squad at Torquay"
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, March 25, 2015, 12:27pm; Reply: 21
Seems a bit of an odd signing unless the manager knows something about Mackreth's injury or thinks Jolley isn't up to it. I'd have expected a centre back to cover injuries/suspensions or even a striker before a winger.
Posted by: acko338, March 25, 2015, 12:56pm; Reply: 22
Boyce is back on the bench as a warmer for Scunny and if they're getting tonked 4 - 0 like last night, and they still don't rate giving him a run out, what about a cheeky loan until the season end !!

Toto WILL get suspended and Boyce would slot straight in !!
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 25, 2015, 1:29pm; Reply: 23
Would love Boyce back here, we would look very strong with him in the team (if we are in the playoffs) excellent backup!
Posted by: forza ivano, March 25, 2015, 1:48pm; Reply: 24
why is he signing a winger when we desperately need more defensive midfielders and versatile defenders? ;)
  boooo hurst boooo!!

and fenty for allowing such a disgraceful move for such an over paid load of old rubbish who hasn't even played for man  u, bayern or barca. fenty out !!!
Posted by: jonnyboy82, March 25, 2015, 2:19pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from forza ivano
why is he signing a winger when we desperately need more defensive midfielders and versatile defenders? ;)
  boooo hurst boooo!!

and fenty for allowing such a disgraceful move for such an over paid load of old rubbish who hasn't even played for man  u, bayern or barca. fenty out !!!

Getting rather old that..

At least keep it half decent if you are gonna troll the fishy.

Posted by: grimsby pete, March 25, 2015, 2:35pm; Reply: 26
With 6 league games to go and 3 more in the play offs if we do not go straight up,

Toto is bound to get 2 more yellow cards imo,

So who will cover for him in these important games ?

I hope he does not pick any more cards up,

BUT

We have to be ready if he does.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, March 25, 2015, 2:40pm; Reply: 27
I'd suspect Boyce would love to come back to Town because of the way the fans love him and the chance of getting promoted, however he won't want to come if he os getting picked for Scunny which after Tuesday he may well. Anyway I think won't sign anyone because of our old friend Parslow, by JT did worry me last night when he mistook him for Brown and by all accounts Brown played like he'd never played professional football before when he came on. He's disappointed me, after August he looked like the real deal and a proper footballer but has faded since then and apparently Clay is playing really well at the moment. If Toto is on 13 bookings then it means he has only picked up 3 yellows this year and mean if that average continues he will get booked in the play offs for his 15th.
Posted by: fiveallive, March 25, 2015, 2:54pm; Reply: 28
It would be unfair to Parslow to bring Boyce back, to be fair to Parslow he's always played well when i have seen him and a excellent job in holding position early on in the season. I think its unfair to blame him for the Chester result we did the same thing early in the season to Dover tried to keep it 1-0 and it back fired i don't think players can be held responsible for a manager playing negative tactics.

Gregor Robertson has been a massive help to the back four and has made more stable i would not be honest if i didn't say i missed the work Aswad did for us playing going forward but near end of the season i would prefer Robertson defensive position.
Posted by: fiveallive, March 25, 2015, 2:59pm; Reply: 29
Anyway Jordan Chapell heard good reports about him at Torquay when he signed but seems very similar to players at League 2 or Conference level good players on there day, good on loan not good since signing permanent where have we heard that before if he does well no harm on giving a year contract in either League 2 or Conference next season, moving close to home could make him play more consistant level.

Sheffield United highly rated him so we will see what he can do.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 25, 2015, 3:00pm; Reply: 30
If he is homesick for the north, he might not well be at his best at Torquay.

Glad to see that he can score goals.  We can do with another option here.  He  could make the difference in a tight game.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 25, 2015, 3:05pm; Reply: 31
Our 2 main rivals will not like to see Town sign another player now.  Shows our intent and another player will psychologically boost us and be negative to other clubs.  
Posted by: Abdul19, March 25, 2015, 3:49pm; Reply: 32
Boyce came on for Scunny last night after one of the centre backs who started got sent off. I'm guessing he'll start on Saturday (as he has 19 times this season).
Posted by: horsforthmariner, March 25, 2015, 4:07pm; Reply: 33
By the sounds of it he is talented but doesn't always produce. It's a bit of no lose signing for Hurst as he's either going to burst onto the scene and help us go up or he's dropped to  the stands and we'll never hear from him again but we've got good wingers anyway. I doubt he's costing us much.
Posted by: moosey_club, March 25, 2015, 5:01pm; Reply: 34
Sounds similar to that other highly promising quick, direct and knows where the goal is winger we signed on loan (Rotherham?) and sent back without an appearance to me....havnt a clue what he was called now.....anyone??
Posted by: gtfc98, March 25, 2015, 5:11pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from fiveallive
It would be unfair to Parslow to bring Boyce back, to be fair to Parslow he's always played well when i have seen him and a excellent job in holding position early on in the season. I think its unfair to blame him for the Chester result we did the same thing early in the season to Dover tried to keep it 1-0 and it back fired i don't think players can be held responsible for a manager playing negative tactics.

Gregor Robertson has been a massive help to the back four and has made more stable i would not be honest if i didn't say i missed the work Aswad did for us playing going forward but near end of the season i would prefer Robertson defensive position.

You've never seen Parslow play then?
Posted by: Abdul19, March 25, 2015, 5:38pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from moosey_club
Sounds similar to that other highly promising quick, direct and knows where the goal is winger we signed on loan (Rotherham?) and sent back without an appearance to me....havnt a clue what he was called now.....anyone??

Nicky Walker
Posted by: devs, March 25, 2015, 6:17pm; Reply: 37
Astute signing IMO
Shakes things up a bit more and will be good cover for injured Mackreth and out of sorts Jolley
Fresh pair of legs at this stage is good as well
Posted by: moosey_club, March 25, 2015, 7:02pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Abdul19

Nicky Walker

That was him !! Ta
Posted by: pontoonlew, March 25, 2015, 7:07pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from fiveallive

Unfair?

We're challenging for a title, if you get a better player in, there is absolutely no room for any sentiment.
Posted by: Trawler, March 26, 2015, 9:46am; Reply: 40
Chappell was Torquay's top scorer last season with 5 goals.  Here's two of them he scored against Northampton - nicely taken....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__cugSjdTRU
Posted by: Stew0_0, March 26, 2015, 12:35pm; Reply: 41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M39cle2dUlQ

No.12 in this video
Looks a bit like another Mackreth. Slight, quick and tricky. Looks a good option and cover.
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 26, 2015, 5:55pm; Reply: 42
Just had this reply from a Torquay fan I know.

Quoted Text
What all Grimsby fan must understand is Jordan Chapell joined us at a point which would turn into the lowest point in our history, he was part of the squad that went out of the league, he has been part of our squad that's failed to re-establish itself in the conference, so Chapell will not be overly popular amongst Gulls fans, and view points expressed maybe unfairly negative.

What you have in Chapell, is a young player with potential, and nothing more. Expect to see a pacey and a winger with some tricks in his locker, he will run direct at the full back and take on his man, doesn't always succeed but will never stop trying, his end product needs work though, Chapell is capable of scoring goals, can't find the video but scored a very good solo goal against Cheltenham last season in league 2.

Print page generated: May 20, 2024, 5:01am