Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 25, 2014, 10:02am
Could still return

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Fan-favourite-Alan-Connell-Grimsby-Town-s-radar/story-21937485-detail/story.html
Posted by: gtfc98, July 25, 2014, 10:06am; Reply: 1
Basically it says there's a slim chance he could return but we haven't spoken to him, aren't currently considering speaking to him and he hasn't contacted us. Bit of a non story really.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 25, 2014, 10:09am; Reply: 2
Quoted from gtfc98
Basically it says there's a slim chance he could return but we haven't spoken to him, aren't currently considering speaking to him and he hasn't contacted us. Bit of a non story really.

and that's the way it should stay.

Posted by: Southwark Mariner, July 25, 2014, 10:11am; Reply: 3
Pittman was on trial with Dagenham at the same time as Connell:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28196819
Posted by: Maringer, July 25, 2014, 10:24am; Reply: 4
Connell? No thanks.

No goals scored in over 30 appearances last season and he's not exactly torn up any trees during the past couple of years.

How many times does a player need to turn down a move here before we give up on him?
Posted by: Willgtfc, July 25, 2014, 10:25am; Reply: 5
We are better off without his league wages and without his attitude ! No thank you !!!
Posted by: Chrisblor, July 25, 2014, 10:25am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Maringer
Connell? No thanks.

No goals scored in over 30 appearances last season and he's not exactly torn up any trees during the past couple of years.

How many times does a player need to turn down a move here before we give up on him?

Tbf it sounds more like Hurst has given up on him and this is just a non-story made up by desperate Telegraph journalists.
Posted by: Maringer, July 25, 2014, 10:28am; Reply: 7
Yeah, I suppose you do need to take the desperate Telegraph journalism into consideration really. Are they outsourcing it to a bloke at a keyboard somewhere in Malaysia yet?
Posted by: Caesar, July 25, 2014, 10:48am; Reply: 8
I have to agree, if Connell had come back in Jan I would have welcomed him with open arms.  If he returns now I would give him the same applause I would any Town player, he would need to earn his way back to the status he had before, something I am not convinced he is capable of doing anymore anyway.

However since it is such a non-story I am not really sure why I am wasting my time posting on it or thinking about it, guess I just need the season to start again! 2 weeks Tomorrow!
Posted by: Southernboy, July 25, 2014, 10:55am; Reply: 9
What's wrong with working from Malaysia? Phones work
Posted by: horsforthmariner, July 25, 2014, 11:13am; Reply: 10
I reckon come middle of August if he hasn't sorted out a club and we haven't got a decent striker a deal would be done. I'd be glad to have him back - he's a good player and frankly I'm getting a bit desperate that we haven't netted a decent forward yet (although I still think Hannah could be our 20 goal a season man anyway.
Posted by: GyMariner, July 25, 2014, 11:33am; Reply: 11
I would still take him as one of our 2 strikers if he didn't take up a huge amount of the budget.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, July 25, 2014, 12:00pm; Reply: 12
I'd have him back in a heartbeat.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 25, 2014, 12:32pm; Reply: 13
I'd be well pleased if he signed. Can't see it though and that 'story' is completely pointless.
Posted by: Maringer, July 25, 2014, 2:37pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Southernboy
What's wrong with working from Malaysia? Phones work

I really meant to indicate some random bloke in Malaysia who knows nothing about the club but is paid peanuts to trawl the web for 'stories' to put into print. That said, even an avid Town fan or capable journalist would struggle to get inside knowledge living thousands of miles away from the club. The idea of local journalism is that they have personal sources in town and within the club so seeing rumours on the Fishy regurgitated in print doesn't exactly inspire.
Posted by: pontoonlew, July 25, 2014, 3:00pm; Reply: 15
Total none story and the same Connell debates yet again.

On one side you have people who wouldn't have perhaps the best striker we've had at this level back, a man who has since won promotion to League 1 twice on the basis of 'intercourse him'. Then you have the people who do want him back on the basis of what he can actually do on a football pitch.

I remember when people said similar of Russell Slade coming back, that one also worked out pretty well. If a person coming back will do a job and make the fortunes of this club potentially better, then they're welcome anytime. Give me a bit of skill and career ambition over a 'trier and a good bloke' any day of the week.
Posted by: Garth, July 25, 2014, 3:24pm; Reply: 16
Another Ashley Grimes pointless discussion----------------------------------------hope he signs though ;)
Posted by: Chrisblor, July 25, 2014, 3:33pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from pontoonlew
I remember when people said similar of Russell Slade coming back, that one also worked out pretty well.

Completely different. Slade's record between first leaving GTFC and potentially returning was impressive (led Yeovil to very decent finishing positions, won League One manager of the year in 2007 and saved Brighton from almost certain relegation). Connell has struggled to hold down a place in the starting 11 at his last 3 clubs and scored a fantastic 0 goals in 29 apperances last season. He's no longer the player we had 4 years ago.
Posted by: Garth, July 25, 2014, 3:43pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Chrisblor

Completely different. Slade's record between first leaving GTFC and potentially returning was impressive (led Yeovil to very decent finishing positions, won League One manager of the year in 2007 and saved Brighton from almost certain relegation). Connell has struggled to hold down a place in the starting 11 at his last 3 clubs and scored a fantastic 0 goals in 29 apperances last season. He's no longer the player we had 4 years ago.

If thats the case he should be cheap then
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 25, 2014, 3:51pm; Reply: 19
The way Paul was choosing his wording means,

Yes we will have Alan back here no problem,

IF we can not find anybody else and he plays for half the money he demands. 8)
Posted by: Garth, July 25, 2014, 3:57pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from grimsby pete
The way Paul was choosing his wording means,

Yes we will have Alan back here no problem,

IF we can not find anybody else and he plays for half the money he demands. 8)

And guarantees 28 a season
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 25, 2014, 4:03pm; Reply: 21
Connell's heart was not really being at the club when he was here before.   Too much of a risk second-time around and he is older.  Thanks for the great goals and memories.    
Posted by: Southernboy, July 25, 2014, 4:06pm; Reply: 22
Wow we need the season to start! IF Alan came back it would be good or not depending on goals scored. Newspapers make up news whether it's football or Russian papers supporting lies about what's happening. Or indeed, before the pro Russian police arrive, any media. It's a story and probably crap
Posted by: Garth, July 25, 2014, 4:10pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Connell's heart was not really being at the club when he was here before.   Too much of a risk second-time around and he is older.  Thanks for the great goals and memories.    

I take your point but I would not care if he hated us and drew his pension every week as long as he recaptured some of his old form and took us up, its never going to happen anyway just a story filed away for quiet news days at the Telegraph
Posted by: KK_DOG, July 25, 2014, 5:02pm; Reply: 24
I think the odd hair on my neck would be standing up if Connell came back.
Posted by: psgmariner, July 25, 2014, 11:52pm; Reply: 25
Get bonetti in. Player / assistant manager. All the hairs on my neck and possibly my member will stand up.
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 3:14am