Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, April 16, 2014, 8:40am
had a night to reflect, but look theres 3 games to go and HOPEFULLY 6, can we all not just pull together and get totally behind paul and the players? we are all town fans and i just dont understand the sledging of players/manager with 3 games to go when in the play offs ( yes performances arent great, but SURELY we would all rather win ugly than lose playing pretty football). Wouldnt it be great if we could be celebrating a promotion in a months time, back where we belong? Come on fellow mariners, 3 to go, 3 cup finals for our play off place, lets get behind the boys and show everyone that GTFC CAN go up. UTM
Posted by: wigworld, April 16, 2014, 8:58am; Reply: 1
I couldn't agree more. UTM!
Posted by: woswwf, April 16, 2014, 9:12am; Reply: 2
Yep, disappointing result last night but after 90% of the season, the league table doesn't lie. We're the 3rd/4th best team in the division and I'd have certainly taken this position after we'd lost at Halifax, or when RS was sacked, or when we were 9th with a fixture backlog on the horizon.

I also imagine that Wrexham, Forest Green, Kidderminster etc would happily trade places with us at the moment.
Posted by: Trawler, April 16, 2014, 9:14am; Reply: 3
Quoted from woswwf
I'd have certainly taken this position after we'd lost at Halifax, or when RS was sacked, or when we were 9th with a fixture backlog on the horizon.

Me too.  Some people have short memories.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, April 16, 2014, 9:20am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Trawler

Me too.  Some people have short memories.

I dont think some people have short memories.

I think 4th \5th is acceptable given our budget.

He has done nothing astounding to get us were we are, infact he has made it harder for himself by his weird decisions along the way.
Posted by: 2578 (Guest), April 16, 2014, 9:24am; Reply: 5
Quoted from woswwf
Yep, disappointing result last night but after 90% of the season, the league table doesn't lie. We're the 3rd/4th best team in the division and I'd have certainly taken this position after we'd lost at Halifax, or when RS was sacked, or when we were 9th with a fixture backlog on the horizon.

I also imagine that Wrexham, Forest Green, Kidderminster etc would happily trade places with us at the moment.

Being the 3rd/4th best team in this division counts for nothing it may as well be  9th/10th etc if we are not good enough to win the playoffs, remaining in this league again is failure.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, April 16, 2014, 9:27am; Reply: 6
Braintree away at Barnet on monday, last game could be massive, but im confident it will be a meaningless game
Posted by: grimps, April 16, 2014, 9:45am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Hagrid
had a night to reflect, but look theres 3 games to go and HOPEFULLY 6, can we all not just pull together and get totally behind paul and the players? we are all town fans and i just dont understand the sledging of players/manager with 3 games to go when in the play offs ( yes performances arent great, but SURELY we would all rather win ugly than lose playing pretty football). Wouldnt it be great if we could be celebrating a promotion in a months time, back where we belong? Come on fellow mariners, 3 to go, 3 cup finals for our play off place, lets get behind the boys and show everyone that GTFC CAN go up. UTM

I would rather us win ugly than lose ugly which we seem to be doing every time we play a half decent team at home.
This team will never go up under this manager ,We've all seen this coming since January but a few on here seem to think that the louder you cheer for Hurst the better his tactics and team selections become.
Posted by: GrimRob, April 16, 2014, 9:50am; Reply: 8
The bookies still have us second favourites for promotion via the play-offs. Let's be positive (we're supposed to be "supporters" after all), rather than write our own team off. We've played over 50 games this season and there's only been one (Halifax away over 6 months ago) where we couldn't have got at least a draw had we scored with the final kick of the game. We're difficult to beat, the perfect strategy for the low-scoring play-offs!!
Posted by: Geordie Mariner 1980, April 16, 2014, 10:17am; Reply: 9
Agree with the original post, lets keep positive; some of the slating of players last night around me was terrible - it doesn't help players & is so counter-productive; I'm sure that most people would have taken a decent cup run and a play off place at this stage of the season on day 1, so lets get behind the team for these last 6 matches!
Posted by: Sconeboy, April 16, 2014, 10:20am; Reply: 10
We remain hopeful as supporters. But our eyes don't lie and the team aren't giving us any positives to grab hold of.

The fans want this more than the players. The players need to step up to our level of ambition for the run in.
Posted by: Garth, April 16, 2014, 10:21am; Reply: 11
Well I haven`t given up yet even though I am a bit shattered by the Halifax result, its still in our own hands
Posted by: chaos33, April 16, 2014, 10:33am; Reply: 12
Look, it's easy to agree with sentiment that we should all stand together, get behind the players and manager and try to play a positive part. We should indeed try to do that. It's also easy to agree that the slating of players is wrong, but none of this is going to get us promoted. This is down to the players and the manager who must perform. Who must deliver. Who must raise their game.

Unfortunately, there have been a host of occasions where they just look incapable of taking the golden opportunity, appearing disorganised, lacking in technique and urgency and unable to perform even basic footballing skills. Now that is bound to provoke some frustration and anger amongst passionate supporters, like it or not. If GTFC want 100% noisy, unanimous positivity and bouyant, large home crowds then it's about time they got their f@cking fingers out and turned in a performance with some cohesion and skill and method.

Let's hope we can scrape into the play-offs and transform, because we'll need more than luck to get through 3 games successfully. One tiny improvement could increase our chances significantly - like finding one professional who can actually cross a ball or deliver a decent corner or free kick.
Posted by: RonMariner, April 16, 2014, 11:02am; Reply: 13
Let's have some perspective please.

After 43 matches, only two sides in the division have more points than us. Reading some of the posts on here you would think we were in the bottom four!

I fully expect us to be safely qualified for the play offs on Monday.

The other point to note is that, despite a dreadful performance by us, the in form hot shots of the moment, Halifax, still only scraped a narrow 1-0 win. So it is certainly not beyond us to win the playoffs if we play to the best of our ability.  
Posted by: grimps, April 16, 2014, 11:09am; Reply: 14
Quoted from RonMariner
Let's have some perspective please.

After 43 matches, only two sides in the division have more points than us. Reading some of the posts on here you would think we were in the bottom four!

The other point to note is that, despite a dreadful performance by us, the in form hot shots of the moment, Halifax, still only scraped a narrow 1-0 win. So it is certainly not beyond us to win the playoffs if we play to the best of our ability.  

And when this year has the team played to the best of its ability ?
Admit it we are going nowhere ? I think that some on here believe if they say nice things about the team and manager they'll start playing well and winning .What you saw last night is what you will see in the play offs if we manage to get into them  :-/
Posted by: pontoonlew, April 16, 2014, 11:11am; Reply: 15
Quoted from GrimRob
The bookies still have us second favourites for promotion via the play-offs. Let's be positive (we're supposed to be "supporters" after all), rather than write our own team off. We've played over 50 games this season and there's only been one (Halifax away over 6 months ago) where we couldn't have got at least a draw had we scored with the final kick of the game. We're difficult to beat, the perfect strategy for the low-scoring play-offs!!

I remember that low scoring hard to beat strategy from last seasons play-offs. Two one nil defeats, a pathetic attempt at promotion and best of all, people were suprised. I wonder if we'll all be so suprised this season?

On the position we were in 2 months ago this should never had gotten to 3 games left still needing points, simple as that.
Posted by: Grimal, April 16, 2014, 11:24am; Reply: 16
[quote=981]Let's have some perspective please.

The other point to note is that, despitea dreadful performance by us], the in form hot shots of the moment, Halifax, still only scraped a narrow 1-0 win. So it is certainly not beyond us to win the playoffs if we play to the best of our ability.  [/quo
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't call last nights game dreadful Ron,I thought we played quite well in the first half,admitted we dropped the tempo again in the second half,but dreadful no way.I don't know if you was at the game,as I was but sometimes listening to a match on Radio you get a different perspective.
Posted by: RonMariner, April 16, 2014, 11:25am; Reply: 17
Quoted from grimps

And when this year has the team played to the best of its ability ?
Admit it we are going nowhere ? I think that some on here believe if they say nice things about the team and manager they'll start playing well and winning .What you saw last night is what you will see in the play offs if we manage to get into them  :-/

In the four FA Cup matches.  And the play offs are effectively a cup competition.
Posted by: woswwf, April 16, 2014, 11:50am; Reply: 18
Quoted from 2578

Being the 3rd/4th best team in this division counts for nothing it may as well be  9th/10th etc if we are not good enough to win the playoffs, remaining in this league again is failure.

Totally agree with that, finishing 2nd (and not winning the play-offs) and finishing 20th is the same end result and would be treated as a failure.

My point was that, despite everything, we are still 3rd/4th best team in the league and considering where we were, that's an acceptable position to be in at this stage. We've not played great all season but that just shows that you don't have to be great to get out of this league. In fact, you can get away with being fairly poor and still be better than all but 2 or 3 of the teams.

It'll only need a slight improvement from some of our front 6 for us to make it.
Print page generated: May 19, 2024, 9:58am