Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 6, 2024, 4:58pm
Massive win for us.

FGR, Colchester and Sutton all lost.

Phew, 5 points clear with game/s in hand over a couple of our rivals.

I feel better tonight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-two/table
Posted by: MarinerDevil, April 6, 2024, 5:06pm; Reply: 1
Salford losing too and have just had 2 players sent off.

If we can scrape a point or two from the next week's away games we'll be almost there I think.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 6, 2024, 5:11pm; Reply: 2
A point at Colchester and one win, I think we will have done it.
Posted by: Andy, April 6, 2024, 5:12pm; Reply: 3
First time in weeks that all the other results went our way. Big relief. UTM
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 6, 2024, 5:14pm; Reply: 4
Deserved victory and results going our way phew
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 6, 2024, 5:14pm; Reply: 5
That’s got to give the lads belief, I feel we’ll be safe now, another win and a draw would just about do it, the pressure is on the teams below us now
Posted by: Mariner93er, April 6, 2024, 5:16pm; Reply: 6
Don't think we'll even need a win and a draw. Sutton only have three games left and Forest Green four, and it's unlikely either will win all of them.
Posted by: Mayaman, April 6, 2024, 5:23pm; Reply: 7
We really didn't look like a team fighting for our survival in League 2.  
Posted by: Poojah, April 6, 2024, 5:25pm; Reply: 8
We’re tantalisingly close now. Discounting a freakish swing in goal difference, Sutton need either 2 wins or 1 win and 2 draws from their last 3 games to get beyond us, while Forest Green require either 3 wins or 2 wins and 2 draws from their final 4.

Both of those eventualities look highly unlikely, and even then we’d have to lose all of our 5 remaining games to go down. I’ve been following Town for too long now to declare relegation a complete impossibility, but the odds must be incredibly low.
Posted by: Mappers, April 6, 2024, 5:27pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Poojah
We’re tantalisingly close now. Discounting a freakish swing in goal difference, Sutton need either 2 wins or 1 win and 2 draws from their last 3 games to get beyond us, while Forest Green require either 3 wins or 2 wins and 2 draws from their final 4.

Both of those eventualities look highly unlikely, and even then we’d have to lose all of our 5 remaining games to go down. I’ve been following Town for too long now to declare relegation a complete impossibility, but the odds must be incredibly low.

Ditto - we might even already have enough in truth with the games FGR & Sutton have
Posted by: The Caterham Mariner, April 6, 2024, 5:29pm; Reply: 10
WOW  ..PHEW  relief this evening !!
UTM
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, April 6, 2024, 5:33pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Poojah

Let’s get it more or less done Tuesday night. Harrogate’s form is erratic - they spanked Gills but lost 3-0 today - very difficult not to manage a goal against Notts.

Posted by: Maringer, April 6, 2024, 5:40pm; Reply: 12
We've just got to somehow start scoring a second fricking goal in games. It is becoming increasingly ridiculous that we can't score more than once, however many chances we create. Too much needless squeaky bum time.
Posted by: oochiad, April 6, 2024, 5:45pm; Reply: 13
Aye without Rose we’d be fooked!! How many easy chances were missed today…….a lovely relaxing drive back to Yorkshire for a change and well done to everyone concerned especially Mr Artell with his difficult circumstances. UTM!
Posted by: mimma, April 6, 2024, 5:46pm; Reply: 14
Wouldn't it be nice to be 2 or 3 goals up in the final 15 minutes? We can only dream!
Posted by: RonMariner, April 6, 2024, 5:52pm; Reply: 15
A point on Tuesday would be very acceptable. From here on in every single point for us is another hammer blow for FGR and Sutton.

We only need to match their next two results to be safe.
Posted by: IowaMariner, April 6, 2024, 6:02pm; Reply: 16
Mathematically, Town now need SIX points to be safe. Both FGR and Sutton “could” get to 48 pts but that’s very highly unlikely. But this is Town we’re talking about here and given the many squeaky bums on this forum and among the fan base generally, along with the too many missed opportunities in games, I for one, won’t be taking anything for granted. Let’s face it given the games at Sutton and at home to Bradford recently, there must have been plenty of folk who wondered if we were heading down the same path again today. But fortunately not… UTM.
Posted by: Mappers, April 6, 2024, 6:03pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from RonMariner
A point on Tuesday would be very acceptable. From here on in every single point for us is another hammer blow for FGR and Sutton.

We only need to match their next two results to be safe.

It would take the ultimate freak set of results and us losing 5 on the bounce for us to go Ron . I just can't see it happening , we are too good at drawing to not get 1 or 2 more draws. Unless FGR somehow win 4 out of 4 I think it's done . And after Mansfield got torched at home today , I can hardly see them not being up for it against them on Tuesday .

Sutton don't even play the 2 Tuesdays so it's a free hit on gaining points on them aswell .
Posted by: exiledmeggie, April 6, 2024, 6:05pm; Reply: 18
Well deserved today, and others losing. We’re just a win and a draw from safety.
Posted by: Mappers, April 6, 2024, 6:17pm; Reply: 19
We could still finish the season with the achievement (if you can call it that ) of most draws in all 4 leagues :
Charlton 17 draws
Grimsby 16
Huddersfield 16
Posted by: RonMariner, April 6, 2024, 6:24pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Mappers

It would take the ultimate freak set of results and us losing 5 on the bounce for us to go Ron . I just can't see it happening , we are too good at drawing to not get 1 or 2 more draws. Unless FGR somehow win 4 out of 4 I think it's done . And after Mansfield got torched at home today , I can hardly see them not being up for it against them on Tuesday .

Sutton don't even play the 2 Tuesdays so it's a free hit on gaining points on them aswell .

Given that FGR have to visit Mansfield and Wrexham next we could be out of reach of them even if we lose our next two.

Posted by: wuffing, April 6, 2024, 6:27pm; Reply: 21
Paul Groves qoute: 'f****ng get in'
Posted by: chaos33, April 6, 2024, 6:29pm; Reply: 22
Sutton have got Harrogate away next Saturday then Crawley at home and MK Dons away. Ouch. Surely they’re not going to get more than 3 points max from those games. Probably 0 or 1.

Vegetablists have got Mansfield away Tuesday night. Surely they will be on the end of a reaction. Then they’ve got Wrexham away, Morecambe away and County at home. Can’t see them getting anything at Wrexham and conceivably could win the other two (or win and draw). I think Colchester will be ok with their games, and they’ll probably beat us, so I think it’s Sutton and FGR that are ‘by a thread’. Huge shift of pressure onto those two with really difficult fixtures against opponents who all need to win.

3 more points for us, and we’ll be ok in all likelihood. Maybe fewer.
Posted by: Mappers, April 6, 2024, 6:35pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from chaos33
Sutton have got Harrogate away next Saturday then Crawley at home and MK Dons away. Ouch. Surely they’re not going to get more than 3 points max from those games. Probably 0 or 1.

Vegetablists have got Mansfield away Tuesday night. Surely they will be on the end of a reaction. Then they’ve got Wrexham away, Morecambe away and County at home. Can’t see them getting anything at Wrexham and conceivably could win the other two (or win and draw). I think Colchester will be ok with their games, and they’ll probably beat us, so I think it’s Sutton and FGR that are ‘by a thread’. Huge shift of pressure onto those two with really difficult fixtures against opponents who all need to win.

3 more points for us, and we’ll be ok in all likelihood. Maybe fewer.

I would be happy if we relegated Colchester ,want them gone .
Posted by: GrimRob, April 6, 2024, 6:42pm; Reply: 24
Be nice to see a "R" next to Forest Green.
Posted by: Poojah, April 6, 2024, 6:46pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Mappers

I would be happy if we relegated Colchester ,want them gone .

I feel just about confident enough to say this without fear of retribution via karma, but fans of no EFL club are going to miss any of Forest Green, Colchester or Sutton.

Friends and enemies of no one. Shíte away days. Poor away followings. The football league will be a better place without 2 of those 3.
Posted by: Teestogreen, April 6, 2024, 6:54pm; Reply: 26
Population of Nailsworth is about the same as Brigg.
Can’t see how  football league ambitions are ultimately sustainable for this small town.
Posted by: RonMariner, April 6, 2024, 6:58pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Teestogreen
Population of Nailsworth is about the same as Brigg.
Can’t see how  football league ambitions are ultimately sustainable for this small town.

It's a one man vanity project isn't it.

I wonder how many millions he has pumped into them?
Posted by: exiledmeggie, April 6, 2024, 7:17pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from RonMariner

It's a one man vanity project isn't it.

I wonder how many millions he has pumped into them?

Being far too close to Stale Mince’s vanity project, and noting that the sale of his windmill business fell through recently, I can confirm that there is yet to be a sod turned on the wooden stadium.

When, on Tuesday night, they’re relegated, I can see the project being shelved.
Posted by: RonMariner, April 6, 2024, 7:39pm; Reply: 29
Just 2 defeats in the last 10 games now isn't it? So on current from we should pick up quiet a few more points from our remaining 5 games. I think 3 will do it.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 6, 2024, 9:35pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Poojah

I feel just about confident enough to say this without fear of retribution via karma, but fans of no EFL club are going to miss any of Forest Green, Colchester or Sutton.

Friends and enemies of no one. Shíte away days. Poor away followings. The football league will be a better place without 2 of those 3.

So to act as a disrupter…. here goes, I’ve not got a big problem with FGR to be honest, I know Dale is a bit up his own @rse & I don’t align with his “ethics above everything” but I’ve heard a few interviews with him where he talks sense about football, funding & ownership.

It isn’t & won’t ever be but if owners & ethics are anything to go by Colchester would be for the drop for me, plus I’d love to see the Cowley’s go back to their spiritual level.
Posted by: Poojah, April 6, 2024, 10:37pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from HertsGTFC

So to act as a disrupter…. here goes, I’ve not got a big problem with FGR to be honest, I know Dale is a bit up his own @rse & I don’t align with his “ethics above everything” but I’ve heard a few interviews with him where he talks sense about football, funding & ownership.

It isn’t & won’t ever be but if owners & ethics are anything to go by Colchester would be for the drop for me, plus I’d love to see the Cowley’s go back to their spiritual level.

I’m with you in that I feel no particular ill towards Forest Green, I just don’t think they bring much to the party in terms of spectacle. Chesterfield, Oldham and Southend have all had bigger average crowds in the national League than Town this season - whether that’s tickets sold or actual attendees I don’t know, but I find it impressive either way.
Posted by: RichMariner, April 6, 2024, 10:53pm; Reply: 32
Yeah, I'm not bothered who goes really, as long as it's not us.

Aren't Colchester in massive debt? Not sure if their situation has changed, but I'm sure I read that they were something like £30m in debt.

Not sure how they get themselves out of that. They spent a bit of time in the Championship about 15 years ago, didn't they?
Posted by: supertown, April 6, 2024, 11:02pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from RichMariner
Yeah, I'm not bothered who goes really, as long as it's not us.

Aren't Colchester in massive debt? Not sure if their situation has changed, but I'm sure I read that they were something like £30m in debt.

Not sure how they get themselves out of that. They spent a bit of time in the Championship about 15 years ago, didn't they?

Yep, just under 33 million
Posted by: Poojah, April 6, 2024, 11:08pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from supertown

Yep, just under 33 million

To their owner, which explains how they’ve been able to accumulate debts of 5x their annual turnover.

They’re in deep shít if / when they go down.  
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, April 6, 2024, 11:33pm; Reply: 35
League Two - Last 10 games home and away. Source: https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten

Adelakun Rovers are flying! (ohmy)

Posted by: grimps, April 7, 2024, 6:07am; Reply: 36
I saw this on another site but it seems about right …

FGR 1/14 (93% chance)
Sutton 1/3 (75% chance)
Colchester 7/2 (22% chance)
Grimsby 22/1 (4% chance)
Posted by: rancido, April 7, 2024, 6:27am; Reply: 37
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Since automatic promotion into the Football League was introduced then a lot of "unfashionable" teams have attained League status. It's not just about the ex football league teams but the smaller clubs whose fans have only ever been able to dream about Football League status. Teams at all levels get promoted on merit which surely must be a good thing, as long as they stay within the spending rules obviously. So what if some of these clubs have a wealthy sponsor to help them - wouldn't we welcome a very wealthy owner to further our aims and ambitions? As much as we moan about Wrexham and Salford I'm sure there is more than a touch of envy that we aren't in similar positions with "high exposure" owners. When we attained Championship level under AB we revelled in the fact that we were "punching above our weight" and giving traditionally " big clubs" a bloody nose! Surely then it's only right that other "small clubs" get the opportunity to do the same.
Posted by: Yarborough Vaults, April 7, 2024, 6:38am; Reply: 38
No ill will towards either Sutton or FGR but would love the Cowleys to take Colchester down, if only to press home what a disaster they would have been for us and yet some on here were calling for them to replace Hurst.

Noting that Artell has not been pulling up many trees either, of course. But sure it would have been much worse under the PE teachers.
Posted by: grimps, April 7, 2024, 6:53am; Reply: 39
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults
No ill will towards either Sutton or FGR but would love the Cowleys to take Colchester down, if only to press home what a disaster they would have been for us and yet some on here were calling for them to replace Hurst.

Noting that Artell has not been pulling up many trees either, of course. But sure it would have been much worse under the PE teachers.

I want Sutton and FGR gone purely as they bring nothing to this league in way of attendances .
Football is always better with a packed away end and never in a million years would either of them bring more than 100 fans to our place .
I reckon Colchester will get wound up next season anyway so it’ll probably be one less club to worry about
Posted by: rancido, April 7, 2024, 8:26am; Reply: 40
Quoted from grimps

I want Sutton and FGR gone purely as they bring nothing to this league in way of attendances .
Football is always better with a packed away end and never in a million years would either of them bring more than 100 fans to our place .
I reckon Colchester will get wound up next season anyway so it’ll probably be one less club to worry about

It would be poetic justice if the Cowley's get a relegation into non-league on their CV. I never did like their constant moaning, whinging and disputing every decision that went against them when they were at Lincoln. Football would be a lot better without managers/ players like these people.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 7, 2024, 8:42am; Reply: 41
Quoted from rancido

It would be poetic justice if the Cowley's get a relegation into non-league on their CV. I never did like their constant moaning, whinging and disputing every decision that went against them when they were at Lincoln. Football would be a lot better without managers/ players like these people.

And yet they were still my preferred choice after Hurst was sacked.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, April 7, 2024, 8:45am; Reply: 42
The Cowley’s have won plenty of games and would have been OK here but it wouldn't have been pretty.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 7, 2024, 9:08am; Reply: 43
Quoted from rancido

Since automatic promotion into the Football League was introduced then a lot of "unfashionable" teams have attained League status. It's not just about the ex football league teams but the smaller clubs whose fans have only ever been able to dream about Football League status. Teams at all levels get promoted on merit which surely must be a good thing, as long as they stay within the spending rules obviously. So what if some of these clubs have a wealthy sponsor to help them - wouldn't we welcome a very wealthy owner to further our aims and ambitions? As much as we moan about Wrexham and Salford I'm sure there is more than a touch of envy that we aren't in similar positions with "high exposure" owners. When we attained Championship level under AB we revelled in the fact that we were "punching above our weight" and giving traditionally " big clubs" a bloody nose! Surely then it's only right that other "small clubs" get the opportunity to do the same.

I agree and at no point did I say that a club shouldn’t be promoted on merit or if they have a high profile wealthy owner in fact I did say “ I’ve not got a big problem with FGR to be honest” I also said Dale has spoken sense, personally I don’t agree with his ethics but just because they don’t align with mine then it doesn’t mean to say I’m right & he’s wrong.

Unlike many on here I’m not one for saying the likes of Salford,FGR, Sutton, Crawley, Fleetwood, Morecombe etc.. shouldn’t be in the EFL because they’re not “proper clubs” & have thrown money at it, because in reality that’s what you have to do.

Whether that’s sustainable though depends on how much people are willing to pump in but at least it’s relatively visible unlike the dark arts and no doubt brown paper envelopes that used to get clubs elected & re-election each season.
Posted by: rancido, April 7, 2024, 9:08am; Reply: 44
Quoted from promotion plaice

And yet they were still my preferred choice after Hurst was sacked.

I never wanted them anywhere near the club except as visiting coaches. There style of management goes against everything that I want as a town manager.
Posted by: Maringer, April 7, 2024, 9:10am; Reply: 45
To be fair, it hasn't been pretty under Artell, either! I'm not sure how many Cowley-style players we have at the club. A distinct lack of physicality as well and we know their game plan relies on strength and pressure on the ball.

I'd assume that Artell will look to get more of his type of player in this summer and we'll be less reliant on Tharme's long throw to help us clear our lines and attack as well. Not saying it won't be used a good amount, but we'll hopefully be able to mix it up a bit more and play it out as well. Even yesterday when we were dominant, we still tended to lose possession after just a few passes and the better teams will cause us many more problems if we can't keep hold of the ball. Being dogged only gets you so far.
Posted by: rancido, April 7, 2024, 9:19am; Reply: 46
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I agree and at no point did I say that a club shouldn’t be promoted on merit or if they have a high profile wealthy owner in fact I did say “ I’ve not got a big problem with FGR to be honest” I also said Dale has spoken sense, personally I don’t agree with his ethics but just because they don’t align with mine then it doesn’t mean to say I’m right & he’s wrong.

Unlike many on here I’m not one for saying the likes of Salford,FGR, Sutton, Crawley, Fleetwood, Morecombe etc.. shouldn’t be in the EFL because they’re not “proper clubs” & have thrown money at it, because in reality that’s what you have to do.

Whether that’s sustainable though depends on how much people are willing to pump in but at least it’s relatively visible unlike the dark arts and no doubt brown paper envelopes that used to get clubs elected & re-election each season.

I wasn't criticising your view, which I do agree with. I just wanted to reinforce the view that, regardless of who is behind or owns them, any club should be able to progress up the football pyramid on its own merits. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Cleethorpes Town could become a top level non-league team and good for them if they do.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 7, 2024, 9:34am; Reply: 47
Quoted from rancido

I wasn't criticising your view, which I do agree with. I just wanted to reinforce the view that, regardless of who is behind or owns them, any club should be able to progress up the football pyramid on its own merits. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Cleethorpes Town could become a top level non-league team and good for them if they do.

Yup, that would be a really good thing.
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 11:34am