Grimal
September 24, 2017, 8:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from barralad

Thanks for the report. Must be the latest ever Just Back thread. Interesting to hear that there was an improvement second half

Would have been even later Barra, we were going to stay over until Tuesday and have a couple of days on the Gower but due to a family Illness we decided to return today.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 14
Grimal
September 24, 2017, 8:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from chaos33
The 'he' in your story is Hurst.

I was wondering if he was hoping Slade would be interested in bringing him back to Town, perhaps his agent contacted Slade and he said he didn't want him . I'm not to sure that Hurst didn't want to keep him . All water under the bridge now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 14
barralad
September 24, 2017, 11:28pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,196
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Grimal

Would have been even later Barra, we were going to stay over until Tuesday and have a couple of days on the Gower but due to a family Illness we decided to return today.

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope all OK.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 14
Caesar
September 25, 2017, 10:34am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
A long and ultimately disappointing weekend.  Should preface this with the statement that Newport are a good side under Mike Flynn and seemed very solid defensively.  That said we didn't half make it easy for them particularly in the first half where but for Mckeown we could of been down by 2 or 3 goals.  All our defending is so last minute, it is all throwing bodies in the way and making last ditch blocks,.  We don't shut teams out or not give them a sniff of a chance.  We allow them loads of chances but just trust we will have enough bodies in the way to deflect them somewhere away from goal.  

After somehow escaping at 0-0 in the 1st half we started the second much better, Summerfield was very good when he came on  and gave us much more of a midfield presence, although to be honest any kind of presence would  of been an improvement.  So having started to play better it was inevitable we would concede, and of course that Podge would score.  Considering our style of defending is so manic in my view it is disappointing we would conceded from a throw in and allow a man we should know enough about t(although I guess Mckeown is the only member of the team to actually of played with him) to be create space for a shot 3 yards out.  

I have not really talked about us in an attacking sense, mainly because there wasn't really one.  I think one shot on target and a couple of headers with no power on them was the extent of it.  It wasn't really the fault  Matt or Jones, they were predominantly left to try and battle for a long ball up front and win headers against 2 centre backs who seemed pretty dominant in the air.  

Generally we were really poor and I find myself very uninspired with our play.  Have to comment on the lack of Town fans who traveled too. 243  is one of the lowest Saturday crowds I can recall for many years.   Seen quite a few people on twitter who normally go to all games not going and the time it took for a just back thread to appear suggests to me there are many on here not going.  

I am not knocking any fan who didn't travel in any way, simply commenting that it is really sad to see, after years where we consistently traveled as well as any fans in the land to take only 50 more to Newport than we did on an evening game last year after being spanked 5-0 is depressing.  Am guessing from what I read and chats with other Town fans that the sense of togetherness and connection at the club is quickly vanishing if not already gone completely.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 14
moosey_club
September 25, 2017, 11:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Caesar
A long and ultimately disappointing weekend.  Should preface this with the statement that Newport are a good side under Mike Flynn and seemed very solid defensively.  That said we didn't half make it easy for them particularly in the first half where but for Mckeown we could of been down by 2 or 3 goals.  All our defending is so last minute, it is all throwing bodies in the way and making last ditch blocks,.  We don't shut teams out or not give them a sniff of a chance.  We allow them loads of chances but just trust we will have enough bodies in the way to deflect them somewhere away from goal.  

After somehow escaping at 0-0 in the 1st half we started the second much better, Summerfield was very good when he came on  and gave us much more of a midfield presence, although to be honest any kind of presence would  of been an improvement.  So having started to play better it was inevitable we would concede, and of course that Podge would score.  Considering our style of defending is so manic in my view it is disappointing we would conceded from a throw in and allow a man we should know enough about t(although I guess Mckeown is the only member of the team to actually of played with him) to be create space for a shot 3 yards out.  

I have not really talked about us in an attacking sense, mainly because there wasn't really one.  I think one shot on target and a couple of headers with no power on them was the extent of it.  It wasn't really the fault  Matt or Jones, they were predominantly left to try and battle for a long ball up front and win headers against 2 centre backs who seemed pretty dominant in the air.  

Generally we were really poor and I find myself very uninspired with our play.  Have to comment on the lack of Town fans who traveled too. 243  is one of the lowest Saturday crowds I can recall for many years.   Seen quite a few people on twitter who normally go to all games not going and the time it took for a just back thread to appear suggests to me there are many on here not going.  

I am not knocking any fan who didn't travel in any way, simply commenting that it is really sad to see, after years where we consistently traveled as well as any fans in the land to take only 50 more to Newport than we did on an evening game last year after being spanked 5-0 is depressing.  Am guessing from what I read and chats with other Town fans that the sense of togetherness and connection at the club is quickly vanishing if not already gone completely.  

Floating fans have little to inspire them to come back in all reality, the recent no show at Mansfield p1ssed alot of fans off, last home game i know of 3 ST holders who just chose not to go...these are ST holders who have paid up front but are already disappointed with what is on offer.
Newport is a long trek and we have had very little success there so add that to the above then no wonder....tomorrow night will be in the 3500 - 3800 bracket i reckon, mainly home support, token 50-100 Colly fans...and depending on the result not much more in the home end on Saturday either.
The Newport game looked as though we had slipped back into what was happening in the first few games were we defended too deep, readily surrendering two thirds of the pitch to Newport allowing them to build pressure and us scrappily defending for our lives. Midfield was that close to the back four then the defense had little option but to punt the ball out.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 14
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.