Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: mimma, April 17, 2024, 2:01pm
Our old "friend" has just been appointed manager of Rotherham on a 3 year deal.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 17, 2024, 3:36pm; Reply: 1
Great manager.
Posted by: pizzzza, April 17, 2024, 3:59pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Great manager.

Depends how wide your definition of great is.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, April 17, 2024, 4:02pm; Reply: 3
and he is very wide
Posted by: Gaffer58, April 17, 2024, 4:43pm; Reply: 4
Cannot dispute his record, seems to succeed at almost every club he’s been to.
Posted by: It Bites, April 17, 2024, 5:43pm; Reply: 5
Great manager and will always be the best manager we never had because he upset a few of our supporters once
Posted by: WesternMariner, April 17, 2024, 6:10pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from It Bites
Great manager and will always be the best manager we never had because he upset a few of our supporters once

You really are a wind up merchant. There’s more than “a few” would stop going if that fat, bent, obnoxious, eye liner using illegitimate was our manager.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 17, 2024, 6:11pm; Reply: 7
I think the best manager we never had is Alex Ferguson.
Posted by: It Bites, April 17, 2024, 6:16pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from WesternMariner

You really are a wind up merchant. There’s more than “a few” would stop going if that fat, bent, obnoxious, eye liner using illegitimate was our manager.

You really are an angry man or woman ?
Posted by: TAGG, April 17, 2024, 8:52pm; Reply: 9
intercourse him the fat twit
Posted by: blundellpork, April 17, 2024, 11:27pm; Reply: 10
Can’t stand the fella, and wouldn’t want him here, but you can’t deny he has a damn good record
Posted by: forza ivano, April 17, 2024, 11:32pm; Reply: 11
Artell climbs another place to become the 65th longest serving manager of the 92. Unbelievable jeff!
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 17, 2024, 11:49pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Abdul19
I think the best manager we never had is Alex Ferguson.

The best manager we never had was Bill Shankly, oh hang on.

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 18, 2024, 6:40am; Reply: 13

Harry redknapp is universally loved by the media and public and yet had off shore accounts in his dogs name with vast amounts of money in them. I don’t particularly like him but that generation of manager many operated that way.  
Posted by: It Bites, April 18, 2024, 7:01am; Reply: 14
The Grimsby mentality is shining through on here isn’t it . Evans is a winner but because he’s loud , large and made mistakes in life he’s not suitable to take our club forward .
Posted by: Ashby mariner, April 18, 2024, 7:12am; Reply: 15
Id certainly have him here. If he could get us to be floating around 7th in league 1 for the majority of a season I'd be more than happy.
Posted by: GrimPol, April 18, 2024, 7:55am; Reply: 16
Quoted from It Bites
The Grimsby mentality is shining through on here isn’t it . Evans is a winner but because he’s loud , large and made mistakes in life he’s not suitable to take our club forward .

Some people are Winners, others Cheat. Which one is Evans? Please read article https://theathletic.com/1792139/2020/05/22/tax-inland-revenue-steve-evans-boston-dagenham/
Posted by: WesternMariner, April 18, 2024, 8:31am; Reply: 17
Quoted from It Bites

I’ve certainly got the Grimsby mentality - it’s that if you can’t win without cheating (and wearing eyeliner) then don’t bother.
Posted by: Mappers, April 18, 2024, 9:31am; Reply: 18
I think he's a decent manager Big
But some of his off the pitch dealings are questionable to say the least .
I always thought pre season must be mildly amusing when the players come back in a few KG's over their target weight to be told the news by big Steve almost like when a nurse has told me I need to shift a few pounds yet she's in a larger state than me , admittedly I'm not a small lad but still  .
Posted by: It Bites, April 18, 2024, 9:45am; Reply: 19

I’ve certainly got the Grimsby mentality - it’s that if you can’t win without cheating (and wearing eyeliner) then don’t bother.

Stevenage lg 1 and now the Rotherham job on a 3 year . I’d let our manager wear full make up and wouldn’t give a toss how he made mistakes in the past if he got us in lg1

Do you know Steve by the way ? Have you met him . It’s the Dave challinor syndrome all over again
Posted by: WesternMariner, April 18, 2024, 10:12am; Reply: 20
Quoted from It Bites

Stevenage lg 1 and now the Rotherham job on a 3 year . I’d let our manager wear full make up and wouldn’t give a toss how he made mistakes in the past if he got us in lg1

Do you know Steve by the way ? Have you met him . It’s the Dave challinor syndrome all over again

According to your logic maybe we could get him in as manager and Alex May as the new owner - GTFC and the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act ! Come to think of it perhaps we could recruit an all criminal first eleven as well as long as they were winners and only stole from the rich or financial institutions?
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 18, 2024, 10:30am; Reply: 21
It's possible to seriously dislike someone but also acknowledge that they're really good at what they do.

I can't stand Evans.  I think he's odious as hell and hand on heart wouldn't want him managing Town.  He might be a winner but he's just an awful, awful man.  

But he's bloody successful. That Boston spell will taint his legacy forever and I think it's the real reason that with the exception of getting there himself with Rotherham, it's the reason there's only crackpot Leeds who have taken a chance on him from the top two tiers.

Great appointment for Rotherham.
Posted by: Poojah, April 18, 2024, 11:19am; Reply: 22
Steve Evans is an effective manager, no arguments there. His CV bears that out - 8 promotions albeit just the one in the last 10 years, and he did face 4 straight sackings before rocking up at Stevenage.

He has incredible knack of getting a tune out of players in spite of being throughly dislikable, which is certainly a skill in itself. Here’s how his Crawly players reacted after he left (despite having won 2 promotions there):

Posted by: RonMariner, April 18, 2024, 11:44am; Reply: 23
Yes, that Crawley response is just a bit short of a ringing endorsement isn’t it.

I wonder how they felt about all the win bonuses they earned under him though……
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 18, 2024, 11:55am; Reply: 24
Covered a few times on various posts on this forum, there's a lot of the UndrTheCosh interviews where he's brought up with an underlying current theme about him:

Players hate him, yet they can all accept that he's got this knack of getting the best out of players and making things click.  I wonder if he creates unity in the dressing room with the hatred of him as the uniting factor.  Whatever it is, it works.  

Can't remember who it was but there's a great story where he's on a team bus and he goes to the toilet on the coach, but basically ends up shitting down the back of his shirt because he's too big to move it out the way.  Grim but hilarious.
Posted by: GrimPol, April 18, 2024, 12:17pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from diehardmariner
Covered a few times on various posts on this forum, there's a lot of the UndrTheCosh interviews where he's brought up with an underlying current theme about him:

Players hate him, yet they can all accept that he's got this knack of getting the best out of players and making things click.  I wonder if he creates unity in the dressing room with the hatred of him as the uniting factor.  Whatever it is, it works.  

Can't remember who it was but there's a great story where he's on a team bus and he goes to the toilet on the coach, but basically ends up shitting down the back of his shirt because he's too big to move it out the way.  Grim but hilarious.

Then that's settled. Sack DA, who's a nice guy, but not a good manager, appoint Evans, who is an animal but gets results, and just make sure his Office Seat and Dugout Bench has a Commode fitted.
Next season we shoot for League 1 and ever higher, always assuming Evans isn't arrested for something mid-game, and has to send messages to the bench from his cell.
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 18, 2024, 12:28pm; Reply: 26
Artell's success rate at League Two isn't that unfavourable next to Evans'.

1 promotion from 3 full seasons as opposed to 2 promotions from 8 full seasons.  Artell's got 1.39 PPG, Evans has 1.52.  Over the course a season that's 6 points.

To his absolute advantage is the fact that Artell isn't a cretin.  I think I'd rather just not bother watching Town than seeing Evans constantly hoicking his ill fitting trousers up on the touchline every week.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 18, 2024, 12:52pm; Reply: 27
Well that shuts up the leery “movkneys” in our local who take great delight in telling me that Stevenage will get to the championship under Evans
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 18, 2024, 2:30pm; Reply: 28
However successful Evans is, his personal qualities would conflict massively with our current owners.  I am fine with that.

Ironically, he could have come here under the previous owners, as a convicted fraudster nearly did.
Posted by: Grimal, April 18, 2024, 4:03pm; Reply: 29

But they'd soon come running back when we started winning a few games. Think what you want about Steve Evans but he's a very good manager.

Posted by: rancido, April 19, 2024, 8:49am; Reply: 30
Quoted from diehardmariner

There is a local comparison as to peoples reaction to SE. Years ago there was a famous ( or infamous !!) Grimsby trawling skipper whose knickname was "The Beast". He was very successful, universally hated by all who sailed with him but never failed to get a crew and even had those who would always sail with him. He was a most odious and unpleasant person but he was very good at what he did. You don't have to be liked by those that work for you if the financial rewards are good , it all depends on what any individual is prepared to tolerate.
As regards SE, he has proved to be a successful manager at the level he has operated but I wouldn't want him managing GTFC.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, April 19, 2024, 4:17pm; Reply: 31
Terrible >> https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rotherham-united/top-scorers

I wonder which strikers will be on his shopping list, maybe players he has previously worked with, especially with locality.
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 19, 2024, 4:38pm; Reply: 32
Having scored 6 times for him in a League Two side and then happily sold him ahead of a League One campaign (one in which Stevenage couldn't really have expected to have done this well), I can't imagine Rose will be on Evans' wanted list, especially with the expectation on Rotherham for an instant return to the second tier.
Posted by: Azimuth, April 19, 2024, 9:26pm; Reply: 33
Evans is a divisive character for sure, I dont particularly like him or his personality but cant help but admire his achievments in managment,
I think there is an element of pantomine villain in him which he enjoys playing up to,
He never tries to be popular or a nice guy but lets his talent as a manager show through his teams successes.
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 11:34am