Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Non Football  /  
Posted by: Facer, March 20, 2023, 12:25am
Local Grimsby lad Levi Giles will be boxing for the English title against Michael Gomez Jr in Manchester next Saturday night.

I remember watching Gomez Sr fight many times in Manchester years ago. This time I'm firmly behind Levi as he goes for his first title.

Anyone else making the trip for this one?
Posted by: Rick12, March 20, 2023, 7:54am; Reply: 1
Can't say I've heard of Levi. Thanks for the information though on the local lad.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 20, 2023, 9:28am; Reply: 2
Levi has come from the gym I boxed at the Grimsby ABC and he’s doing very well indeed, he’s being trained by good people who know what they are doing, Levi started boxing after I left the gym so don’t personally know him but I’ve been following his progress and he’s doing extremely well, he’s in with a good opponent on Saturday but he’s more than capable of winning.

Good luck to Levi
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 20, 2023, 9:36am; Reply: 3

What channel is it on?

I'll give it a watch if I don't forget.
Posted by: moosey_club, March 20, 2023, 9:43am; Reply: 4
Seen him fight a few times on local shows always been  spicey both in and out of the ring on some occassions 😅
Posted by: Rick12, March 20, 2023, 12:06pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Levi has come from the gym I boxed at the Grimsby ABC and he’s doing very well indeed, he’s being trained by good people who know what they are doing, Levi started boxing after I left the gym so don’t personally know him but I’ve been following his progress and he’s doing extremely well, he’s in with a good opponent on Saturday but he’s more than capable of winning.

Good luck to Levi
Thanks Chris for that update 👍.

Posted by: pizzzza, March 20, 2023, 1:48pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from promotion plaice

What channel is it on?

I'll give it a watch if I don't forget.

Its on the Okolie v Light undercard so will be on Sky Sports (assuming they show the full card)
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 20, 2023, 11:53pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from pizzzza

Its on the Okolie v Light undercard so will be on Sky Sports (assuming they show the full card)

Thanks for that pizzzza.

Posted by: Hagrid, March 21, 2023, 11:09am; Reply: 8
odds are out
both boxers at 5/6
Posted by: Facer, March 23, 2023, 11:58pm; Reply: 9
Thanks for the interest folks.

I cannot log into my goodness knows how old account here as it does not seem to want to let me renew my password *sigh*

Levi is a top man, he's had to come through all sorts of cancellations and nonsense to get his shot at the title. He has talent and has helped the likes of josh Warrington prepare for their world title efforts.

I really hope his dedication and persistence reaps rewards on Saturday.
Posted by: Sandford1981, March 24, 2023, 1:29pm; Reply: 10
My younger brother just messaged me and said used to go to school with this lad and says how sound he is.
He’s also just forwarded me the face off and those two things alone will mean I’m tuning in tomorrow. I hope he teaches that mouthy sod a lesson!

G’won Levi!!!
Posted by: pizzzza, March 24, 2023, 1:47pm; Reply: 11
Yes Levi, walking onto the weigh-in to the tune of Up The Mariners, good luck lad!

His opponent looks a right sharp object
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 24, 2023, 2:17pm; Reply: 12
Just seen that push by Gomez, that’s totally unacceptable and I’d imagine he’ll lose a few fans due to doing that, he’s suppose to be a professional, the bad talk and behaviour like this is exactly why I never entered the professional game.

Levi reacted very professionally and I hope he smashes Gomez. He’s too big for his boots is that Gomez

Levi on points
Posted by: Sandford1981, March 24, 2023, 3:19pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Just seen that push by Gomez, that’s totally unacceptable and I’d imagine he’ll lose a few fans due to doing that, he’s suppose to be a professional, the bad talk and behaviour like this is exactly why I never entered the professional game.

Levi reacted very professionally and I hope he smashes Gomez. He’s too big for his boots is that Gomez

Levi on points

It was totally unprofessional and he should be losing a chunk of his purse for it. Levi could have been injured and unable to fight - I cannot stand these sorts of shenanigans. No need whatsoever and shows a lack of class.
There’s a lesson for Levi in it too. I’m sure he’ll be more guarded in the future.
Posted by: Facer, March 24, 2023, 11:58pm; Reply: 14
disgraceful behavior by Gomez and puts boxing in a bad light. Worse was the commentators reaction to it IMO - they should have been calling it out and the dangers of it rather than just saying "that's to be expected with Gomez"

That type of behavior should never be accepted in a professional sport.

I suspect Gomez will come out like a bull in a china shop and go for an early KO - hopefully Levi can navigate that and beat him on points or via late stoppage
Posted by: Sandford1981, March 25, 2023, 6:37am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Facer
disgraceful behavior by Gomez and puts boxing in a bad light. Worse was the commentators reaction to it IMO - they should have been calling it out and the dangers of it rather than just saying "that's to be expected with Gomez"

That type of behavior should never be accepted in a professional sport.

I suspect Gomez will come out like a bull in a china shop and go for an early KO - hopefully Levi can navigate that and beat him on points or via late stoppage

I’m glad an official complaint has been raised by Levi’s manager and that it’s to be looked at at by the British Boxing Board of Control.
An absolute sharp object!
Is Levi taking plenty of support to get behind him?
Posted by: lukeo, March 25, 2023, 8:06am; Reply: 16
I can't stand boxing but saw the push, what a helmet. Hope Levi wins.
What times it likely to start?
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 25, 2023, 10:09am; Reply: 17
Quoted from pizzzza
Yes Levi, walking onto the weigh-in to the tune of Up The Mariners, good luck lad!

His opponent looks a right sharp object

35:05 minutes in for anyone interested.

Posted by: Humbercod, March 26, 2023, 9:10am; Reply: 18
I think Levi will be feeling hard done by, I think he won a close fight.
I would like to see the punches landed stats because Gomez threw a missed many shots, Levi was by far the classier fighter showing food skill, Gomez was just tough pushing Levi on the back foot every round but without dominating, the judges probably took his forward aggression into account.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 26, 2023, 11:48am; Reply: 19
I’ve just watched the highlights and it looked very close, Levi did very well and looked very comfortable at that level, his time will come, the experience he’ll have gained from that bout will carry him forward, I’ve no doubt in my mind that Levi will be a champion in the very near future (at least English champion) he put on a great show and matched him, it’s just a shame the decision didn’t go Levi’s way, I’m sure he’ll kick on and try again, he did excellent and put Grimsby on the map.

Well done Levi you did Grimsby proud. Professional throughout
Posted by: Sandford1981, March 26, 2023, 12:16pm; Reply: 20
I thought he conducted himself brilliantly throughout. I hope someone with a bit of wedge sees his potential and enables him to give up the day job and go full time pursuing his dream.
It was one of those ‘pick what you like’ fights. Taking the emotion out of it I think it’s a close fight and although I thought Levi edged it, it’s not a stinker of a decision. To coin a football cliche - a draw would have been a fair result!
Posted by: Facer, March 26, 2023, 8:39pm; Reply: 21
I am gutted for him and feel he did enough to get the decision, he boxed brilliantly, especially early on. He got sucked into Gomez's fight plan in the latter part, but even then I felt he held his own on many occasions. Although I am very biased here, I cannot say it was a 'stinker' of a decision, it was a close fight in the end, but it's rare you got those go in your favour as the away, lesser known fighter...

The way he conducted himself through the entire weekend was fantastic, and a wonderful reflection on himself, his personality and his professionalism.

There were plenty of folks there from Grimsby cheering him on. Hopefully with the decent numbers of tickets Levi sold, and the way he represented himself, both in and out of the ring, will encourage some of the folks in positions of power to get him another chance pretty soon
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 27, 2023, 7:34am; Reply: 22
Yes Levi conducted himself very well, a very important point (for me) is that Levi showed he is at national level, it was a close fight and Levi never looked like he didn’t belong in there.

He can take a lot of encouragement from that because there is no doubt in my mind he will be English or even British champion one day, he’s good is Levi and you can tell he puts the work in, I know Andy Blackett (his trainer) very well, I boxed with Andy and I know full well that Andy leaves no stone unturned, he will have Levi back even better than before.
Print page generated: May 17, 2024, 5:44pm