Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, February 26, 2023, 12:53pm
Where are people planning to drink before the match? Hoping to be at our hotel in the city centre for 4 and then planning to be in a pub packed with Town fans all being well. Saw something about a pub in St Denys but looks a bit of a trek out from the centre.
Posted by: Poojah, February 26, 2023, 1:35pm; Reply: 1
According to a Southampton colleague, the main row of pubs and those usually allocated for away fans is on Above Bar Street, round the corner from the station. There’s a ‘spoons and Yates’ among other places.

With 4,000+ Town fans in the vicinity we’re going to need more than one pub, so it would be good to keep everyone close together for a proper takeover.
Posted by: Mappers, February 26, 2023, 5:43pm; Reply: 2
Belgium and Blues is good if you like the craft beer scene ,quite like it there its quite small though .

If you want a spoons it might be worth going to the giddy bridge its about a 20 min walk from the ground ,it will be less busy than in the town i think ,i quite like the Alexander hotel it used to be a place with retro gaming consoles and a decent crowd ,not sure if thats still there though as have not been down there in a good few years .

If anyone is bringing the wife who wants to do some shopping send her to WestQuay its a bigger version of Meadowhall with loads of restaurants in to on the top deck .
Posted by: chaos33, February 26, 2023, 5:51pm; Reply: 3
How often do Southampton find their away end sold out?
Posted by: Mappers, February 26, 2023, 6:07pm; Reply: 4
Every week its filled more or less they only give 3k tickets and average 31k so assume its to capacity most weeks .

They are in meltdown though ,i honestly think its our realistic chance (probably ever ) to get to an FA cup quarter final -more Palace than Chelsea . They are going to rotate heavily and their fanbase is highly disgruntled atm ;its not an over exageration that we could be playing them in a league game in the not too distant future .
Posted by: pontoonlew, February 26, 2023, 6:38pm; Reply: 5
Anywhere around Guildhall square is meant to be good and will be a 20 min walk to the ground. Hoping we might end up there afterwards as well…
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, February 26, 2023, 7:05pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from pontoonlew
Anywhere around Guildhall square is meant to be good and will be a 20 min walk to the ground. Hoping we might end up there afterwards as well…

That's pretty near our hotel so that works for me.
Posted by: mimma, February 26, 2023, 8:26pm; Reply: 7
What's it like for those of us that are travelling by coach? From what I can gather they park the coaches at the stadium. Will I have a long walk for a beer?
Posted by: Davec, February 26, 2023, 8:32pm; Reply: 8
I've actually got a room booked for the night above a pub called The Grapes, so I'll probably start in there, then get a kebab or something and then find a another pub closer to the ground packed with fans
Posted by: Withnail, February 26, 2023, 8:44pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Davec
I've actually got a room booked for the night above a pub called The Grapes, so I'll probably start in there, then get a kebab or something and then find a another pub closer to the ground packed with fans

The Grapes was a half decent pub when I lived in Southampton 10 years ago. No Early Doors characters in there though. Cracking Indian a few doors down and a pub across the road that hosts cross dressing karaoke, if that's your bag.

About a good half half hr+ walk to the ground from there.
Posted by: LH, February 26, 2023, 9:20pm; Reply: 10
Have we decided what route we’ll all be taking and which services are going to be awash with black and white shirts? Digging an old scarf out tomorrow night to hang out the window.
Posted by: oochiad, February 26, 2023, 10:02pm; Reply: 11
Anyone staying in the Premier Inn city centre?
Posted by: crusty ole pie, February 26, 2023, 10:40pm; Reply: 12
Hopefully Kristine will be giving us all the info we need
Posted by: GYinScuntland, February 26, 2023, 11:28pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from oochiad

Ooh how posh, we've only got the Travelodge. 😆
Posted by: golfer, February 27, 2023, 8:25am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Withnail

The Grapes was a half decent pub when I lived in Southampton 10 years ago. No Early Doors characters in there though. Cracking Indian a few doors down and a pub across the road that hosts cross dressing karaoke, if that's your bag.

About a good half half hr+ walk to the ground from there.

Can you tell me more about the pub across the road please.
Posted by: Withnail, February 27, 2023, 9:09am; Reply: 15
Quoted from golfer

Can you tell me more about the pub across the road please.

https://the-london.co.uk/

Fill yer boots Golfer.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, February 27, 2023, 9:14pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from LH
Have we decided what route we’ll all be taking and which services are going to be awash with black and white shirts? Digging an old scarf out tomorrow night to hang out the window.

We’ll probably need more than one stop - there’s some old bladders going in my car - and we are only 160 miles away in Leicestershire. Peartree services on the A34 will be one stop we’ll do.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 27, 2023, 9:34pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from oochiad

Premier Inn at Southampton Airport for me, train to St Denys or Central Station and a mile walk to the ground via a pub or two, hopefully it won’t be raining!!
Posted by: waltham_mariner, February 28, 2023, 11:37am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Poojah
According to a Southampton colleague, the main row of pubs and those usually allocated for away fans is on Above Bar Street, round the corner from the station. There’s a ‘spoons and Yates’ among other places.

With 4,000+ Town fans in the vicinity we’re going to need more than one pub, so it would be good to keep everyone close together for a proper takeover.

I heard from a West Ham away day regular that Yates' is the place to be pre-match and is the best in his opinion - would be great to see us take over that street, I hear there are plenty of bars in close proximity to Yates' as well.

UTM

Posted by: toontown, February 28, 2023, 1:01pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from waltham_mariner

I heard from a West Ham away day regular that Yates' is the place to be pre-match and is the best in his opinion - would be great to see us take over that street, I hear there are plenty of bars in close proximity to Yates' as well.

UTM

Haven't seen a travel guide thingy yet, it will be out soon I'd have thought, that usually lists pub advice :)
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 28, 2023, 1:54pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from toontown

Haven't seen a travel guide thingy yet, it will be out soon I'd have thought, that usually lists pub advice :)

https://gtfc.co.uk/away-day-guide-southampton/
Posted by: waltham_mariner, February 28, 2023, 2:05pm; Reply: 21
Anyone else getting the train down? We're getting on at Newark and changing in London
Posted by: TheultimateMariner, February 28, 2023, 2:08pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Premier Inn at Southampton Airport for me, train to St Denys or Central Station and a mile walk to the ground via a pub or two, hopefully it won’t be raining!!

Me and my mrs are staying there, might cross paths.

We’re thinking of getting an Uber down and getting one back and leaving the car at the hotel so we can have a drink or 3. The train was my first thought, but seeing it takes nearly 45 minutes put me off straight away

Posted by: Wiley2405, February 28, 2023, 5:01pm; Reply: 23
Is the pre match interview anywhere yet
Posted by: Son of Cod, February 28, 2023, 5:07pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Wiley2405
Is the pre match interview anywhere yet

Yeah, it's on MarinersTV. Khan available and will travel down with the squad but not sure if he'll be in the matchday squad, Green is out, Dickson-Peters given the all clear to be included by Norwich, Owen Gallacher is out, Eastleigh are letting us train at their place...think they were the main points. Listened to it this morning and my memory is crap though, so someone else might be able to summarise better than me.
Posted by: immariner, February 28, 2023, 5:32pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from TheultimateMariner

We’re thinking of getting an Uber down and getting one back and leaving the car at the hotel so we can have a drink or 3. The train was my first thought, but seeing it takes nearly 45 minutes put me off straight away

The train takes less than 10 minutes to both St Denys and Southampton Central. 20 minute walk from both to the ground. Few pubs near the ground.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 28, 2023, 5:35pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from TheultimateMariner

Not sure where your getting your timings from but Southampton Airport Parkway to Southampton Central, evidently the closest station to the ground, is just 7 minutes. Anyway I’m sure me and the lad will be in the bar area, he will have the current away strip shirt on and I will have Grimsby polo shirt from one of the Wembley finals so pop over for a chat.
Posted by: TheultimateMariner, February 28, 2023, 7:10pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Not sure where your getting your timings from but Southampton Airport Parkway to Southampton Central, evidently the closest station to the ground, is just 7 minutes. Anyway I’m sure me and the lad will be in the bar area, he will have the current away strip shirt on and I will have Grimsby polo shirt from one of the Wembley finals so pop over for a chat.

Must be looking at the bus maybe. Just what it says on Google maps

Posted by: HerveJosse, March 1, 2023, 2:45pm; Reply: 28
Weatherspoons pub in centre The Standing Order already packed at 2.30!
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 6:45am