Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 10, 2023, 3:28pm
80 today
Happy Birthday George
Posted by: DB, January 10, 2023, 4:08pm; Reply: 1
Happy Birthday, George. Topman.
Posted by: wuffing, January 10, 2023, 4:10pm; Reply: 2
Happy birthday George, what a man. Remember him walking into a service station after a replayed match at Bristol City on a wet Tuesday night. Us Town fans were in the queue all soaked and bedraggled. He walked straight to the start of the queue and bought all a hot drink. It's things like this that stay with you a lifetime. Oh and a fantastic manager too!!
Posted by: cannylad65, January 10, 2023, 4:11pm; Reply: 3
In my 73 years of watching Town, the best team for me was under George Kerr and Dave Booth.

Thank you guys for some great times.
Posted by: DB, January 10, 2023, 4:13pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from cannylad65
In my 73 years of watching Town, the best team for me was under George Kerr and Dave Booth.

My thoughts exactly.

Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 10, 2023, 4:35pm; Reply: 5
See the signature below, absolute legend!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 10, 2023, 4:40pm; Reply: 6
Happy Birthday George. We had a wonderful team when he was in charge.
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 10, 2023, 4:44pm; Reply: 7
Happy birthday George one of the best managers for Town .
Posted by: denni266, January 10, 2023, 5:42pm; Reply: 8
Any one know how he is . used to love some of his remarks when he was co comentating on the radio.  Happy birthday George
Posted by: GYinScuntland, January 10, 2023, 5:59pm; Reply: 9
Bloody hell, I thought the worst when I saw the thread.
But yes.. wow, what memories.
Posted by: It Bites, January 10, 2023, 7:04pm; Reply: 10
Happy Birthday George . One of Grimsby Towns best managers
Posted by: It Bites, January 10, 2023, 7:05pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from cannylad65

Absolutely. Buckley was great but the quality of football under Kerr and Booth was another level
Posted by: ginnywings, January 10, 2023, 7:14pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from It Bites

Absolutely. Buckley was great but the quality of football under Kerr and Booth was another level

Hmm. As good as the footy was under Kerr, and it was very good, for me the football under Buckley was the best I've seen in my 50 years attending BP.

Anyway, that's a debate for another time.

Happy birthday George
Posted by: tintowner, January 10, 2023, 7:18pm; Reply: 13
My signature players below list the 79/80 Division 3 championship winning side .....and George Kerr was the manager.

Happy birthday George
Posted by: bobbyturtle, January 10, 2023, 7:28pm; Reply: 14
Happy birthday!
Posted by: Eastendmariner, January 10, 2023, 7:31pm; Reply: 15
Many HAPPY Returns  George
Posted by: RonMariner, January 10, 2023, 7:54pm; Reply: 16
That 1980 Championship winning side almost made it all the way to the First Division. In fact I think they went on to finish 5th a few seasons after and would have been in the play offs if they had existed back then.

What a team that was, local lads Kevin Drinkell, Kevin Moore, and Tony Ford, plus Nigel Batch and the incredible Joe Waters, to this day my favorite ever Town player.

Thank you for the memories. Happy Birthday George! May you have many many more.
Posted by: chaos33, January 10, 2023, 9:21pm; Reply: 17
George was the manager when I attended my first Town game as an 8 year old 1980, and what a team that was. Champions!

So, for me, George Kerr is my original Town legend. What disappointed me in recent years was, when he was co-commentating on RH during Town v Scunny games, he kept referring to Scunny as ‘us’ instead of Town, revealing his loyalty and his inability to be professionally impartial too. Soured it a bit for me, but….wish him health, happiness and Happy Birthday.
Posted by: always grimsby, January 10, 2023, 9:32pm; Reply: 18
One word a Legend
I had my photo took with him In May at Mcmenamys
At the  promotion celebrations
Great Guy with great sense of humour
I thanked him for what he did for Town
He answered I didn’t do anything it was the players who won promotion
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEORGE !!
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 11, 2023, 12:15am; Reply: 19
Really nice guy and club legend
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 11, 2023, 6:14am; Reply: 20
Quoted from chaos33
George was the manager when I attended my first Town game as an 8 year old 1980, and what a team that was. Champions!

So, for me, George Kerr is my original Town legend. What disappointed me in recent years was, when he was co-commentating on RH during Town v Scunny games, he kept referring to Scunny as ‘us’ instead of Town, revealing his loyalty and his inability to be professionally impartial too. Soured it a bit for me, but….wish him health, happiness and Happy Birthday.

To be fair to George he was a player at Scunny longer than he was on the staff at Town. Also there are quite a few ex Town players now that summarise for RH and refer to us as “us” despite playing and managing for other clubs. Robbie Stockdake did it when he did the Harrogate game. It’s no big deal it just proves a bit of passion for the game.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 11, 2023, 7:06am; Reply: 21
Happy birthday George.
Didn’t know you were a Rangers fan.
Used to sit next to you in the Upper Findus in our brilliant spell in what is now the Championship. Happy days

Good manager too when at the helm.
Posted by: toontown, January 11, 2023, 8:16pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from chaos33

To be fair I remember RH asking him about something a few years ago, think it was when we were in NL and scunny were in the FL but we had got a bigger crowd than them, he was scunny co commentator at the time. He said, "we'll that's because Grimsby Town are a bigger club than Scunthorpe, always have been, always will be". Made me smile.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, January 11, 2023, 10:57pm; Reply: 23
Was a frequent vistor to the Press Room on matchdays before Covid always had a good story to tell, not seen him since Covid, hope he is well.
I first started watching town in John Newman & George Kerr era and got me hooked on GTFC.
Its been a rollcaster ride, the joy of being a mariner.

Happy Birthday George hope you had a drop of whiskey to celebrate your 80th.

UTM
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 12, 2023, 6:47pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from chaos33

He also said that any time he was commentating on us as well.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 13, 2023, 11:26am; Reply: 25
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Happy Birthday George. We had a wonderful team when he was in charge.

We had a wonderful team
We had a wonderful time too 🤩

Thanks George & a belated Happy Birthday
Print page generated: May 19, 2024, 4:06am