Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Non Football  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 10, 2023, 2:36pm

We appear to have a problem with rocket launches here in the UK don't we, reminds me of a previous attempt:

Posted by: OddShapedBalls, January 10, 2023, 2:57pm; Reply: 1
It's just so predictably British isn't it - was it Beagle 2 we spent a fortune on sending to Mars and then it pancaked upon impact?
Posted by: Maringer, January 10, 2023, 3:11pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from OddShapedBalls
It's just so predictably British isn't it - was it Beagle 2 we spent a fortune on sending to Mars and then it pancaked upon impact?

That was at least partially the fault of the Yanks - we were doing our calculations in metric and they were using Imperial measurements...
Posted by: OddShapedBalls, January 10, 2023, 3:19pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Maringer

That was at least partially the fault of the Yanks - we were doing our calculations in metric and they were using Imperial measurements...

Hilarious isn't it!  But I though that was the lockheed/nasa mars orbiter?

Posted by: Maringer, January 10, 2023, 3:48pm; Reply: 4
You could be correct about me confusing the two. However, a quick Google indicates Beagle 2 probably landed safely but didn't work properly after that:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2112484-beagle-mars-probe-probably-didnt-crash-new-analysis-shows/

Wasn't squished after all, apparently.
Posted by: chaos33, January 11, 2023, 10:30am; Reply: 5
Is the rocket launch failure the fault of:

A) Prince Harry and Megan Markle
2) Remainers
C) Mick Lynch and militant public servants
D) immigrants in dinghys
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, January 11, 2023, 12:03pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from chaos33

2) Remainers
D) immigrants in dinghys

E) Work from home
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 11, 2023, 5:53pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from chaos33

2) Remainers
D) immigrants in dinghys

Or aliens ,  they don't want us leaving earth .
Posted by: aldi_01, January 11, 2023, 6:12pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from chaos33

2) Remainers
D) immigrants in dinghys

Didn’t folk in Cornwall have some input? They’ll probably blame the people that keep their county alive, tourists…
Posted by: Maringer, January 11, 2023, 6:52pm; Reply: 9
Sort of understandable that some of the locals may be a bit disgruntled that they are forced to live in caravans because every other house is a barely used holiday home or a holiday let. Same goes for the Lakes as well, for that matter. Need the local authorities to have some sort of power to stop the communities being priced out of living there, though I'm not sure how they would do this.

It doesn't look like there will be too many space tourists visiting!
Posted by: OddShapedBalls, January 12, 2023, 9:22am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Maringer
Sort of understandable that some of the locals may be a bit disgruntled that they are forced to live in caravans because every other house is a barely used holiday home or a holiday let. Same goes for the Lakes as well, for that matter. Need the local authorities to have some sort of power to stop the communities being priced out of living there, though I'm not sure how they would do this.

It doesn't look like there will be too many space tourists visiting!

This was an issue in Wales in the early 80's, the Sons of Glyndwr took a burny burny approach. It was a massive topic when I lived in the Lakes too - luckily the locals hadn't discovered fire yet so the houses were all safe.  Joking aside, it's an absolute joke that a load of yuppies can destroy the local communities whilst only spending several weeks a year actually there but in a free market I don't think there is an answer.
Posted by: OddShapedBalls, January 12, 2023, 9:23am; Reply: 11
Quoted from Maringer
You could be correct about me confusing the two. However, a quick Google indicates Beagle 2 probably landed safely but didn't work properly after that:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2112484-beagle-mars-probe-probably-didnt-crash-new-analysis-shows/

Wasn't squished after all, apparently.

You live and learn! So Beagle 2 was kind of the British Leyland of Mars rovers?
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 8:42pm