Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Rick12, January 6, 2023, 5:06pm
Just seen this via Instagram. The local boy coming good as he will have 200 appearences this Saturday for Grimsby if he starts or comes on. As he says hard work and dedication has got him this far and long may it continue 👏

https://gtfc.co.uk/clifton-reflects-200-games/
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 6, 2023, 5:10pm; Reply: 1
How bizarre I started another thread about this at the same time. I'll delete mine but here is what I said.

Thought this warranted a thread of its own.
Matt Dean told PH that it will be Harry's 200th appearance for the Mariners tomorrow if he plays.

I can't remember the last outfield player to do that for us, maybe Shaun or Dis? Either way it's some achievement.

I think he's been excellent this season and consistently very good for the two before it. He's clearly made the step back up to league 2 comfortably, as well as becoming a real goal threat.

Well done Harry, here's to 200 more.
Posted by: Rick12, January 6, 2023, 5:13pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from headingly_mariner
How bizarre I started another thread about this at the same time. I'll delete mine but here is what I said.

Thought this warranted a thread of its own.
Matt Dean told PH that it will be Harry's 200th appearance for the Mariners tomorrow if he plays.

Ok pal thanks. Was going to delete mine as well as just realised you started the same thread.  As you say we created the same thread at the same time.

Posted by: DB, January 6, 2023, 5:27pm; Reply: 3
2 forumites start a positive thread about Harry just shows how much we think of him. 200 games tomorrow is truly a milestone, Grimsby, born and bred.
Posted by: jimgtfc, January 6, 2023, 5:31pm; Reply: 4
Pretty rare these days, well done Harry! Wonder if he’s got his eyes on the magic 755 number?
Posted by: fishcake63, January 6, 2023, 6:58pm; Reply: 5
Well done H you have made yourself one of if not the first name on teamsheet , you are a credit to our club
Posted by: TAGG, January 6, 2023, 7:36pm; Reply: 6
Well done Harry
Long may it continue.
Hes one of our own
Posted by: moosey_club, January 6, 2023, 7:43pm; Reply: 7
Saw him before last pre season had started,  just out on his own at King George Taylors Ave, cones set up and giving himself doggies between them.
Gives an indication of his work ethic which we see results of each Saturday.

Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 6, 2023, 8:00pm; Reply: 8
I know we don’t do half player of the season but if we did I think he’d be mine. I think he’s kicked on and really coming to fruition and beginning to fulfil his potential. I’m not sure I’ve seen a fitter player playing for the club.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 6, 2023, 8:09pm; Reply: 9
Always been a fan of his from the start. Lot better player than some fans give him credit for.

Stil only 24 and will only get better.

Posted by: Kris2, January 6, 2023, 9:40pm; Reply: 10
It goes to show that with the right application you can come through the academy and be an established first team player. A lot of our young talent gets swallowed up by bigger clubs unfortunately because we need the money more than we need young players with future potential, so it's nice when a young player gets into the team and is able to establish themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the next McDermott and notches up record appearances for the club as he doesn't seem to want to be anywhere else.

Seen him kick on this season and he's improved in some weaker parts of his game like passing and shooting through constant effort. His levels of fitness are scary at times as he can keep running and running all game and never really looks worn out by the end of it.
Posted by: Mayaman, January 7, 2023, 12:21am; Reply: 11
Our Harry is a great role model for kids.  Not just in football as he's the epitome of hard work  and dedication. Well done lad.
Posted by: GrimExile, January 7, 2023, 1:04am; Reply: 12
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I know we don’t do half player of the season but if we did I think he’d be mine. I think he’s kicked on and really coming to fruition and beginning to fulfil his potential. I’m not sure I’ve seen a fitter player playing for the club.

I hope you mean player of the half season!! Not half player of the season!!! 🤣🤣🤣 #UTM
Posted by: chaos33, January 7, 2023, 6:57am; Reply: 13
The longer he plays for us and maintains his standards, the harder it will be to keep him. He’s a rare breed - exceptionally fit, mobile, versatile, consistent, goal scoring midfielder. Top player.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 7, 2023, 7:09am; Reply: 14
Great lad good player fully committed to the cause , the only sad bit is I thought he’d kick on to a better level of football.
Posted by: DB, January 7, 2023, 8:28am; Reply: 15
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Great lad good player fully committed to the cause , the only sad bit is I thought he’d kick on to a better level of football.

He chose us over league 1 Forest Green Rovers. What else can say, part from Grimsby through and through.

Posted by: HarrogateMariner, January 7, 2023, 10:55am; Reply: 16
Fantastic to see a player from the academy have so much success with us. Always rated him, when you think how many different managers have considered him a first team regular it shows just how hard working he is, as well as having genuine ability. I personally think he could make the step up to league one as well, which Forest Green must also have thought.  However hope he stays with us for his entire career, probably the only player who will have a realistic chance of beating McDermotts record over the next 10 years or so!
Posted by: Garth, January 7, 2023, 11:53am; Reply: 17
How much is he worth in today's market I wonder, box to box midfielder, gets among the goals and assists, can play any position and is as fit as a butchers dog, very rarely injured and has an enormous appetite for the game
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, January 7, 2023, 12:34pm; Reply: 18
I can see him leaving at some point, he has the potential to go on and play in the Championship. He's getting better each season and is probably our most valuable/sellable asset. Unless we establish ourselves in the Championship, then he would have no reason to leave.
Posted by: rancido, January 7, 2023, 2:00pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from HarrogateMariner
Fantastic to see a player from the academy have so much success with us. Always rated him, when you think how many different managers have considered him a first team regular it shows just how hard working he is, as well as having genuine ability. I personally think he could make the step up to league one as well, which Forest Green must also have thought.  However hope he stays with us for his entire career, probably the only player who will have a realistic chance of beating McDermotts record over the next 10 years or so!

The amazing thing about John McDermot (  if my memory serves me correctly) was that when he was about 19(?) the then town manager wanted to release him for some reason. I seem to think it was because he had joined our Youth set up quite late in age and felt he hadn't had a proper basis. Like I said, I could be wrong but I'm sure someone could verify or discount this.
Posted by: toontown, January 7, 2023, 8:28pm; Reply: 20
Harry is an absolutely cracking player, no doubt his struggles with the passing part of the game was why he wasn't picked up by other clubs earlier. But also no doubt he's improved massively on that part of his game, and for me is now a league 1 level player who we are lucky enough to have playing for his hometown club. Funnily enough I think it was under Holloway he made his big improvement to the passing part of his game which was the weak link in his armour, he's always had an eye for a pass but struggled to execute even the basics when he began. So incredibly fit and versatile, loads of arguments to be had over his best position. What outfield positions has he NOT played for town?

Fantastic player, we are lucky to have him, probably be a very long time indeed before a local lad makes more appearances than him....
Posted by: RonMariner, January 8, 2023, 9:41am; Reply: 21
Captain for the day, and he pops up to score the winner!

Hope he had a few pints to celebrate!!

He’s one of our own!!!!!
Posted by: supertown, January 8, 2023, 9:43am; Reply: 22
Quoted from RonMariner
Captain for the day, and he pops up to score the winner!

Hope he had a few pints to celebrate!!

He’s one of our own!!!!!

The goal has not been given to him
Posted by: RonMariner, January 8, 2023, 9:52am; Reply: 23
Quoted from supertown

The goal has not been given to him

That’s a shame. Still, definitely an assist!
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 8, 2023, 9:58am; Reply: 24
When you think about the career he's had so far he's experienced more than lots of lower league pros do in their whole career.

A relegation, a promotion including the play-offs, made the FA cup 4th round, played at three premier league stadiums, got capped at u21 level by two different managers, played in multiple positions for multiple managers and 200 games by the age of 24. All at just one club.  Town is certainly a rollercoster club!
Print page generated: May 22, 2024, 4:07pm