Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: GYinScuntland, December 5, 2022, 11:09am
Ashley strikes again.
Posted by: OddShapedBalls, December 5, 2022, 11:31am; Reply: 1
You have to wonder what he thinks he's going to do with that stadium,  now Wasps pipedream is over coventry city are the only concern big enough to really use it weekly and keep it making money aren't they?  Or is this some elaborate 'you can come back and play here but it's at double the rate you payed before' scam?
Posted by: DB, December 5, 2022, 3:16pm; Reply: 2
The BBC report makes it out to be a total shambles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63858805
Posted by: Maringer, December 5, 2022, 3:59pm; Reply: 3
Regarding Ashley, scumbags are always going to scumbag, whatever they are doing.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, December 5, 2022, 5:07pm; Reply: 4
Bloody mess
Posted by: mimma, December 5, 2022, 5:08pm; Reply: 5
Sounds like sabre rattling to push up the rent.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, December 5, 2022, 6:00pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from mimma

I think he wants to buy the club doesn’t he?
Posted by: mimma, December 5, 2022, 7:16pm; Reply: 7
The stadium has been nothing but trouble for Coventry. I went there to watch Muse play there. I was told that the consortium that built it, including the local council who had a 40% stake, were charging a million and a half rent per season. All the club got in return was money from ticket sales and programs. All car park fees and food and drinks went to the consortium. The club got money from the sale of Highfield road but they were relegated from the Premier league so when it ran out they were screwed.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, December 5, 2022, 8:39pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from mimma

Yep, and yes create a good negotiating position to buy the club.
Posted by: exiledmeggie, December 6, 2022, 7:10am; Reply: 9
Badly managed club since Highfield Rd. All Ashley wants is a fast Buck!
Posted by: aldi_01, December 6, 2022, 7:17am; Reply: 10
It’s almost hard to remember a time in my life where Coventry City weren’t in the midst of some sort of chaos…
Posted by: Maringer, December 6, 2022, 7:18am; Reply: 11
Where was it that Coventry were exiled to for a year or two - I think they were playing their matches somewhere like Northampton?
Posted by: aldi_01, December 6, 2022, 7:23am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Maringer
Where was it that Coventry were exiled to for a year or two - I think they were playing their matches somewhere like Northampton?

Northampton for a time and then Birmingham City for a time…
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 6, 2022, 7:39am; Reply: 13
Though this is a bad situation a tiny part of me recalls some of the Coventry supporters arrogance about having to come and play us when they where in L2. Some of them on social media where vile before and after the game, completely classless.
Posted by: mimma, December 6, 2022, 12:03pm; Reply: 14
Always remember one of the worse referrying decisions of my life when we played them here.
We got a free kick near the halfway line. Our centre half put it down to take it, but Macca came out to take it, so he rolls it back to Macca for him to take it. One of their players nipped in to take it off Macca and puts it in the net. Ref gave a goal after consulting the linesman.
Don't think that ref has reffed another league game!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, December 6, 2022, 12:14pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from mimma
Always remember one of the worse referrying decisions of my life when we played them here.
We got a free kick near the halfway line. Our centre half put it down to take it, but Macca came out to take it, so he rolls it back to Macca for him to take it. One of their players nipped in to take it off Macca and puts it in the net. Ref gave a goal after consulting the linesman.

Not sure it was a shocking decision myself. It could have been prevented by Collins either not touching the ball or by throwing it to McKeown.
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 6, 2022, 12:36pm; Reply: 16
[youtube]K4TYIOGdYXk[/youtube]

45 seconds in.  Yeah, Collins' copulated that one up.  Don't get the need to touch the ball, it's already in the position where the free-kick will be taken.  

Their second goal is pretty horrific too, how McKeown and (I think) Paul Dixon have managed to find a gap between themselves for that header to get between I'll never know.

James Berrett with, arguably, his most notable contribution during his two-year spell at the club on there as well.
Posted by: Hagrid, December 6, 2022, 1:28pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from mimma

clarke kicked the ball...
Posted by: mimma, December 6, 2022, 1:33pm; Reply: 18
I've seen several similar incidents since, and they always remind me of that day at Blundell park. In every other incident, the ref always makes them retake the free kick. I've never seen another incident where if a player kicks a ball back for a free kick to be taken, and an opponent tries to play on, the ref will let them. It's  a one off.
Posted by: toontown, December 6, 2022, 4:57pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Hagrid

Yeah amateurish from Clarke considering his experience
Posted by: DB, December 6, 2022, 5:24pm; Reply: 20
Back to the original thread. Given the circumstances, I believe that a Prem or EFL club should own the ground they play on 100%. Coventry is the lastest in a long line, over the years, of having the gates locked.

If the club own the ground then it would stop what happened at Scunny, Derby etc happening.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, December 6, 2022, 6:13pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Hagrid

So it was, Collins was the guy who mistook a steward for James McKeown a few months later.
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 7, 2022, 8:55am; Reply: 22
Quoted from mimma

Not as bad as the twit of a ref giving them a penalty near the end of our FA cup game their with 15,000 town fans expecting to get a replay.
Posted by: mimma, December 7, 2022, 12:21pm; Reply: 23
Aye, and a Grimsby born player that scored ir
Posted by: wuffing, December 7, 2022, 12:40pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from arryarryarry

Not as bad as the twit of a ref giving them a penalty near the end of our FA cup game their with 15,000 town fans expecting to get a replay.

I well remember this. A proper Coop d'etat.....
Posted by: LN8Mariner, December 7, 2022, 12:54pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from arryarryarry

Not as bad as the twit of a ref giving them a penalty near the end of our FA cup game they’re with 15,000 town fans expecting to get a replay.

15000 +1. Unofficially my first ever Town game as my mum was there and 4 months pregnant with me! Can’t remember much about it though 🤷‍♂️
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, December 12, 2022, 8:28pm; Reply: 26
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62970327?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 2:05pm