Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: barralad, October 29, 2022, 5:17pm
And fuming. We simply cannot think we can win a game playing for 15 minutes. Holohan's goal was a wonder strike but we didn't need to spend the rest of the game admiring it.
We gave the ball away far too often with Smith in particular guilty of dreadful distribution. Our big problem though is lack of attacking nous.  Our midfielders on whom we've really relied were too slow to get into the box and on the rare occasions they did the delivery was shocking.
We've benefitted from it ourselves in our recent past but there is nothing guaranteed to get a crowd going like an equaliser. Their fans had an air of resignation at 0-1 but the equaliser turned it into a cauldron of noise and there was only going to be one winner from that point.
No obvious candidates for M of the M but in true sponsor style let's give it to the goalscorer.
Very poor all round.
Posted by: Hagrid, October 29, 2022, 5:23pm; Reply: 1
Unsure if its arrogance, laziness, or just a defensive mindset. Hartlepool are awful, make no mistake, first 20 minutes i thought we’d win it 3 or 4-0. Scored, had 2 rules out. And then just stopped playing, stopped attacking. As though we’d won the game…. They didnt create much but we slowly gave them a way back into the game as we got deeper and deeper, made bizarre substitutions and created utterly intercourse all.

Clifton and Morris were very poor, as was Amos and Richardson. no support as per usual for Taylor, subs were ineffective, pepple isnt good enough, really drunk off
Posted by: HatTrickHero, October 29, 2022, 5:24pm; Reply: 2
The passing was appalling, always overhit and when conceding possession there was no desire to get it back, almost every stray ball we played ended up as an attack from them. At 1-0 up we seemed to have no extra gear to press and defend the lead.
Looking like last Xmas's form...4 away wins in a row followed by two away defeats.
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 29, 2022, 5:34pm; Reply: 3
Amos, Clifton and Morris were so poor, only outdone by Hursts poor game management today.

They were absolutely shite and we’ve somehow come away losing. I won’t accept the ‘dust ourselves down & move on’ rubbish, there are issues shining through IMO. The failure to get a decent striker in is absolutely unacceptable to me and a key reason we lost today. It absolutely needs to be addressed and quickly before this becomes a mid-table season, which would still be great progress, but I strongly believe we’ve got the makings of a play-off side here.
Posted by: pen penfras, October 29, 2022, 5:51pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from pontoonlew
Amos, Clifton and Morris were so poor, only outdone by Hursts poor game management today.

They were absolutely shite and we’ve somehow come away losing. I won’t accept the ‘dust ourselves down & move on’ rubbish, there are issues shining through IMO. The failure to get a decent striker in is absolutely unacceptable to me and a key reason we lost today. It absolutely needs to be addressed and quickly before this becomes a mid-table season, which would still be great progress, but I strongly believe we’ve got the makings of a play-off side here.

This is a mid table season. People are quick to mention Leyton Orient, Northampton and Bradford where we could have got more, but quick to forget Rochdale, Walsall, Gillingham and I think Colchester where we were lucky to get what we did. Today was the polar opposite to that Rochdale game, they looked absolutely awful at the back and were there for the taking, but once we started messing about, and Crocombe was doing it in the first half, they grew into the game and got confident. The game management was appalling, Green coming on had all the hallmarks of a Parslow point and it went one worse.

We've not signed a striker for 2 seasons and got away with it last season, but we aren't going to this season.
Posted by: Lincspoacher, October 29, 2022, 5:57pm; Reply: 5
Awful complacent performance after going 1_0 up and saw a genuine lack of urgency, 100% commitment and drive to put the game away whilst they were up.

The team selection was odd again and I have to again raise the same issue - our attacking players are probably the least effective of any team I have seen home and away all season. That is the real issue.

Pebble - please send him back as he is less effective by miles than what we had last season and we let them both go.

Gone from edge of play offs to obscurity last 2 weeks. Next 3 league games will define whether we start glancing over our shoulders downwards or get back on it.
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 29, 2022, 6:07pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Lincspoacher
Awful complacent performance after going 1_0 up and saw a genuine lack of urgency, 100% commitment and drive to put the game away whilst they were up.

The team selection was odd again and I have to again raise the same issue - our attacking players are probably the least effective of any team I have seen home and away all season. That is the real issue.

Pebble - please send him back as he is less effective by miles than what we had last season and we let them both go.

Gone from edge of play offs to obscurity last 2 weeks. Next 3 league games will define whether we start glancing over our shoulders downwards or get back on it.

In fairness to Pepple he held the ball up better than Taylor did today, the rest was poor but he’s still very raw
Posted by: BeijingMariner, October 29, 2022, 6:10pm; Reply: 7
Agreed with all posts except Penfras, I think we will be fine this season because Hurst won't accept that from himself, his team or his squad and hopefully the players and all involved will realise what is at stake. We put the ball in their net 5 times in that game and lost but I think the single most important thing I came away thinkling was how little like a team we looked after scoring. Absolutely bizarre. Hartlepool were awful but they fully deserved their victory because we simply stopped. Incredible. I imagine the air was pretty blue in the away changing rooms, or at least I  hope it was. Bloody awful.
Posted by: acko338, October 29, 2022, 6:10pm; Reply: 8
Lack lustre passing all round again, unfortunately, which gave them every chance if staying in the game at 1-0.

Richardson was still the best attacking option, even noting Pepple's 2 chances.

Clifton is looking tired now, after running through 90 minutes of most games this season.

Taylor is also too isolated up front at present.

Amos' forward passing was poor today and we didn't make enough on their left flank, with some better running from Efete.

Good 1st half - let them back in far too easily in the 2nd half !

One poor 2nd half to forget in a hurry !!
Posted by: pen penfras, October 29, 2022, 6:14pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from BeijingMariner
Agreed with all posts except Penfras, I think we will be fine this season because Hurst won't accept that from himself, his team or his squad and hopefully the players and all involved will realise what is at stake. We put the ball in their net 5 times in that game and lost but I think the single most important thing I came away thinkling was how little like a team we looked after scoring. Absolutely bizarre. Hartlepool were awful but they fully deserved their victory because we simply stopped. Incredible. I imagine the air was pretty blue in the away changing rooms, or at least I  hope it was. Bloody awful.

How is mid-table not fine? I never said we're in danger of going down, I think the hard work that we put in is enough to carry us safely through this season. But reading people talk about us being playoff contenders is bizarre when we don't look like scoring goals even against poor sides.

The only thing we're in danger of is losing the positivity and fans that turned up after last season. There's not been a whole lot to get excited about, and probably the best game this season was a 0-0 draw against Bradford.
Posted by: chaos33, October 29, 2022, 6:34pm; Reply: 10
Agree with everyone else really. Really disappointed and angry with that. The performance, the game management, the substitutions, the strategy - all way below standard.
I wouldn’t want to pick out individuals for criticism as I think it’s hard to highlight any who played well. I would say that there were a good 7 or 8 players who, today, looked well below par in terms of what they contributed and the requisite quality required at this level.
The biggest source of irritation, aside from the baffling substitutions and shape was the fact that Hartlepool were absolutely, palpably sh1t, and posed little or no threat, but our decision to stop attacking invited them into a game they should’ve been decisively out of by half time.

Our passing was dreadful. Our movement off the ball was almost non existent and energy levels were unacceptable, especially second half. All in all, a really poor showing from management and players alike, in front of a brilliant following. Not like us at all. We have some excellent players and a really high quality squad in my view, and on paper, we’re better than them, player for player, in every position. Problem is - as my old manager used today - ‘football’s not played on paper’. What made it worse for me was having to sit and take it in a home stand amongst celebrating Hartlepool fans who knew they’d got lucky and turned over a team who just didn’t turn up, save for the first 20 mins (superb goal from Holohan).

Not good enough performance wise, and badly, negatively managed from the dugout.
Posted by: TAGG, October 29, 2022, 6:35pm; Reply: 11
Amos has been out so can forgive him.
Harry has run his nuts off all season and look today like the tank was empty.
No support for Taylor
Morris, to be honest he's excrement.
Efete for me is not a league player, dito Peppel.
Green great v Bradford  today nuf said
The rest of em probably playing to Hursts plan so can't be to hard on em.
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 29, 2022, 7:01pm; Reply: 12
Why on earth did we let Mani go and replace him with this?
Posted by: ginnywings, October 29, 2022, 7:04pm; Reply: 13
We need someone to put the ball in the net, simple as.

Stevenage are second and have conceded one more goal than us, but crucially have scored just 6 more. That is the difference between 13th and 2nd.

Must be someone out there. A free agent or something.

Mark McNulty is a standout on the free agent list.
Posted by: Son of Cod, October 29, 2022, 7:10pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from TAGG

Morris, to be honest he's excrement.

Easily the worst opinion I've read on here for a long time.
Posted by: chaos33, October 29, 2022, 7:15pm; Reply: 15
He was poor today, like so many, but he’s a good player.
Posted by: barralad, October 29, 2022, 7:22pm; Reply: 16
Just seen Holohan's goal on twitter. It will be a fantastic goal that beats that to goal of the season. Outside of the boot with such curve. Unstoppable.
Posted by: Teestogreen, October 29, 2022, 7:25pm; Reply: 17
Can’t have been a great prospect this week having to travel to Barrow and Hartlepool inside 4 days - not the most inspiring of places.
Late goals have cost - I know not popular to say it - but room to reset .
Town have enough to challenge for the Play Offs - January players in can turn it in our favour.
Paul will put this right.
UTM
Posted by: chaos33, October 29, 2022, 7:30pm; Reply: 18
Think the post match interview with Hurst is disappointing and not addressing reality or responsibility. Thinks we should’ve held out for the 1-0.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 29, 2022, 7:34pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from chaos33
Think the post match interview with Hurst is disappointing and not addressing reality or responsibility. Thinks we should’ve held out for the 1-0.

Got a link mate?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 29, 2022, 7:47pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from ginnywings

Got a link mate?

You’ve heard it all before. Still says we don’t score enough goals to put teams away. He’s had four windows now and, barring the undoubted talent of Richardson, this summer’s striker recruitment may possibly be the worst of the lot. Pepple and Simmonds are not up to the level and Orsi has shown us exactly why he couldn’t get in Harrogate’s team.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 29, 2022, 7:58pm; Reply: 21
Still like to have a listen if anyone has a link.

Can usually find one, but drawing a blank,
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 29, 2022, 8:01pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from ginnywings

http://bbc.in/3Ni1DX0
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, October 29, 2022, 8:06pm; Reply: 23
Like always this season Hurst has got that interview pretty spot on.
Posted by: Spurn boy, October 29, 2022, 8:07pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from ginnywings

To be honest it’s not worth listening too when you find it, I would feel much happier if he just came out and said sorry guys I got it wrong today, but he didn’t.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 29, 2022, 8:08pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Cheers!
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 29, 2022, 8:12pm; Reply: 26
Hurst got it wrong today, no ifs, but or maybes.
His substitution of Richardson for Green too any attacking threat away from us, tried to shore it up at 1-0 and it bit him firmly on his derier!..
And I have to get this off my chest, Pepple is woeful, couldn't hit a cows backside with a banjo, has no pace and is not a league quality player, let alone championship, what Luton scouts see in him is beyond me...
One positive for me though was Efete, thought he looked more comfortable playing as wing back rather than an out n out right back.
Hartlepool, well you could see why they're bottom of the pile, should've been put to the sword in the first half but we are truly toothless up front, Taylor looks worn out to me now, maybe time for a new formation, change in style?...over to Messrs Hurst n Doig to sort out.
Posted by: Croxton, October 29, 2022, 8:21pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Can't be bottomed yet, I'm so hacked off by Hurst's selection, tactics and subs again. What has Khan done wrong? When Richardson tired, Khan should have been on. Taylor is a busted flush if we can't work the ball closer to him. Khan and Richardson have a bit of pace and can work opportunities with Holohan, Clifton and wing backs on the grass. We were shocking at getting the ball down in the second half.

Pepple and Simmonds are way off this level. Taylor seemed to be feeling his hamstring a bit. Time to try something different without him like passing to a team mate in space.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 29, 2022, 8:24pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Croxton

Can't be bottomed yet, I'm so hacked off by Hurst's selection, tactics and subs again. What has Khan done wrong? When Richardson tired, Khan should have been on. Taylor is a busted flush if we can't work the ball closer to him. Khan and Richardson have a bit of pace and can work opportunities with Holohan, Clifton and wing backs on the grass. We were shocking at getting the ball down in the second half.

Pepple and Simmonds are way off this level. Taylor seemed to be feeling his hamstring a bit. Time to try something different without him like passing to a team mate in space.

Problem is the lack of viable options. In all honesty, we might as well put Essel or any other youth team striker on the bench instead of Pepple or Simmonds.
Posted by: chaos33, October 29, 2022, 8:29pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Spurn boy

To be honest it’s not worth listening too when you find it, I would feel much happier if he just came out and said sorry guys I got it wrong today, but he didn’t.

Exactly that.
Posted by: chaos33, October 29, 2022, 8:37pm; Reply: 30
We absolutely didn’t need 3 centre backs. Both pushed on full backs were disappointing as well, and it needed changing. Taking a striker off and bringing on another holding midfielder was also absolutely needless and didn’t work. It didn’t even give us midfield possession and dominance! And their midfield is really poor. Their supporters were telling me that. It was just another body to run around to no effect, and gave us nothing offensively or defensively. He was forced to change it again once we were 2-1 down and throw on 2 attacking players (who did nothing) and just made a mess of the whole thing. Tactically I thought it was poor from start to end today, and, make no mistake, Hartlepool were really poor and no threat whatsoever. It took a special effort to lose to them.
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 29, 2022, 8:46pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Teestogreen
Can’t have been a great prospect this week having to travel to Barrow and Hartlepool inside 4 days - not the most inspiring of places.
Late goals have cost - I know not popular to say it - but room to reset .
Town have enough to challenge for the Play Offs - January players in can turn it in our favour.
Paul will put this right.
UTM

So players can only perform in attractive towns? That’s a new one on me.No wonder we can’t win at home.
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 29, 2022, 8:48pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
Like always this season Hurst has got that interview pretty spot on.

Would’ve been nice for him to get his tactics spot on at least once this week
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 29, 2022, 9:00pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from pontoonlew

Would’ve been nice for him to get his tactics spot on at least once this week

Simmonds and Pepple have had more minutes than Alex Hunt this week. Please explain.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 29, 2022, 9:01pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You’ve heard it all before. Still says we don’t score enough goals to put teams away. He’s had four windows now and, barring the undoubted talent of Richardson, this summer’s striker recruitment may possibly be the worst of the lot. Pepple and Simmonds are not up to the level and Orsi has shown us exactly why he couldn’t get in Harrogate’s team.

I’m not sure you can actually validate what you’re saying as none of them have played 4/5 full games on the bang, until we see that which I’m not convinced we will you can’t say what these lads can and can’t do.

We have 4 decent CB’s at the club and PH don’t shuffle 2 of them (Smith and Waterfall) if he took that approach with the young strikers we have (who need minutes) maybe things would be different.

As for the 4 windows you can’t count 2 of them 1 we were doomed the other just relegated, not easy to attract talent in that state.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 29, 2022, 9:06pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I’m not sure you can actually validate what you’re saying as none of them have played 4/5 full games on the bang, until we see that which I’m not convinced we will you can’t say what these lads can and can’t do.

We have 4 decent CB’s at the club and PH don’t shuffle 2 of them (Smith and Waterfall) if he took that approach with the young strikers we have (who need minutes) maybe things would be different.

As for the 4 windows you can’t count 2 of them 1 we were doomed the other just relegated, not easy to attract talent in that state.

I’ll throw it back the other way. Which of Pepple, Simmonds and Orsi would you pick and leave in the team for 4 or 5 games? The manager sees them day in, day out and he’s obviously not convinced either.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 29, 2022, 9:21pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’ll throw it back the other way. Which of Pepple, Simmonds and Orsi would you pick and leave in the team for 4 or 5 games? The manager sees them day in, day out and he’s obviously not convinced either.

Or he’s just not brave enough to stick with the one who’s best suited to play off Taylor.

Our problem is that in reality the main fit striking optoons we have are players in development.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 29, 2022, 9:27pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Or he’s just not brave enough to stick with the one who’s best suited to play off Taylor.

Our problem is that in reality the main fit striking optoons we have are players in development.

Realistically, it just shows that he didn’t/ wouldn’t spend what was apparently available to him on what we desperately needed. We ended up with a promising number 10, a Harrogate reject, a player running out of room at U21 level and a Canadian kid who’s never played English football before.

Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 29, 2022, 9:37pm; Reply: 38
I actually thought the set up worked okay. Efete found acres of space and Amos tried to push on so it was a 3-5-1-1 rather than 5 at the back. I thought we should have made more clear chances from the positions we found ourselves in but weren't clinical enough. Where I thought he got it really wrong was Green for Richardson. Richardson had tired but Khan would have offered a similar sort of threat. If he wanted Green on it should have been for Morris or Holohan. With Amos and Efete tiring we just invited them on and you knew it was coming. Have to say that the suggestion earlier in the thread that Pepple offered more than Taylor is utterly baffling to me.
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 29, 2022, 9:38pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from HertsGTFC

If I was out there you wouldn’t need to give me 4 or 5 full games before concluding I couldn’t do it.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 29, 2022, 9:40pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from HerveJosse

If I was out there you wouldn’t need to give me 4 or 5 full games before concluding I couldn’t do it.

Exactly.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 29, 2022, 9:46pm; Reply: 41
Liverpool have just lost at home to Leeds.

Beaten by the two bottom sides in a week.

Just saying...
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 29, 2022, 9:50pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from ginnywings

Just saying...

Maybe Hursty would have got more out of Darwin Nunes?
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 29, 2022, 9:57pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from ginnywings

Just saying...

Did win 3-0 away to Ajax in between though.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 29, 2022, 9:58pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from HerveJosse

Yes but unless I’m missing something you’re not a professional footballer are you?

Nobody on this board knows the effort PH did or didn’t put in to get a decent striker. Everyone on this board recognised how hard working he is so we’d have to assume he did his best?

The owners have backed him on loads of stuff both in terms of squad numbers, support staff improved facilities etc.., so you would assume he would have had funds to a reasonable level especially as JS said all season ticket revenues go to the playing budget.

Why can’t people accept that bigger clubs near big cities who have been in the football league longer than us or a couple who haven’t but have very wealthy or stupid owners pay better wages.

Also maybe players didn’t want to come to a place like Grimsby after they’d just been promoted and nobody had a clue how the side was going to get on.

We just have to accept that we are tte only people who believe in the “Mighty Mariners” away from us most people think we’re Grimsby and “the place stinks of fish”.

Plus mud sticks, ask Martin Gritton and numerous other players what working for GTFC has been like in recent years, he’ll talk you through his experience with the then owners when he signed for the club.
Posted by: Ashby mariner, October 29, 2022, 10:04pm; Reply: 45
Wasn't at the game today however been to most games this season. I thought we may slip up once out of these 2 away games. Really dissapointed after last week's Bradford performance we've lost them both. My 13 year old son is always saying why on earth we never kept at least one of mani or Tristan. Me personally would welcome them both back with open arms there streets ahead of some of our forwards at the minute. I can only think Hurst must of missed out on some good targets to release them both.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 29, 2022, 10:07pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Yes but unless I’m missing something you’re not a professional footballer are you?

Nobody on this board knows the effort PH did or didn’t put in to get a decent striker. Everyone on this board recognised how hard working he is so we’d have to assume he did his best?

The owners have backed him on loads of stuff both in terms of squad numbers, support staff improved facilities etc.., so you would assume he would have had funds to a reasonable level especially as JS said all season ticket revenues go to the playing budget.

Why can’t people accept that bigger clubs near big cities who have been in the football league longer than us or a couple who haven’t but have very wealthy or stupid owners pay better wages.

Also maybe players didn’t want to come to a place like Grimsby after they’d just been promoted and nobody had a clue how the side was going to get on.

We just have to accept that we are tte only people who believe in the “Mighty Mariners” away from us most people think we’re Grimsby and “the place stinks of fish”.

Plus mud sticks, ask Martin Gritton and numerous other players what working for GTFC has been like in recent years, he’ll talk you through his experience with the then owners when he signed for the club.

Squad numbers are one thing but quality shouldn’t be sacrificed, should it? There’s a number of squad players that PH doesn’t trust to start including, it appears, Alex Hunt. Add him to Wearne, Orsi, Maguire Drew and at least two of the loan strikers, then there’s a lot of wages warming the bench.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 29, 2022, 10:10pm; Reply: 47
You can only start 11 can't you? And he's just signed Alex Hunt on a 3 year contract after a lengthy pursuit. Was excrement and disappointing today but come on....
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 29, 2022, 10:14pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Correct on your first para but I have been watching football at this level for over 50 years and if those two make it as pro footballers at this level or above I will happily eat my hat.
Both signings arrived in slightly odd circumstances . Simmonds was signed late on transfer deadline day along with others after another deal apparently fell through. I do wonder how much due diligence went into that one.
Pepple we seem to have taken as part of the Mcatee loan back arrangements presumambly because as Luton’s ninth choice striker there wasn’t going to be enough room on the training ground for him at Luton.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 29, 2022, 10:17pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
You can only start 11 can't you? And he's just signed Alex Hunt on a 3 year contract after a lengthy pursuit. Was excrement and disappointing today but come on....

He hasn’t just signed him, has he? He’s the most talented midfielder on the books and he isn’t getting game time. We know he will be on decent money, hence the lengthy pursuit, surely there were some strikers available on similar deals? Maybe Waters at Barrow, Langstaff at Notts County?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 29, 2022, 10:26pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He hasn’t just signed him, has he? He’s the most talented midfielder on the books and he isn’t getting game time. We know he will be on decent money, hence the lengthy pursuit, surely there were some strikers available on similar deals? Maybe Waters at Barrow, Langstaff at Notts County?

I’m surprised we didn’t go in for Waters but clearly the connection with his previous manager was a strong one, can’t complain at that look at McAtee last season.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 29, 2022, 10:27pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Waters has now scored 2 in 2 but he’s still only scored the same number of goals as Taylor this season. I’m not convinced Waters is that good. He was average against us last season and dogshît in the other matches I saw him in.

Langstaff is now probably out of our transfer budget, wage budget and our league (I suspect he will sign for a L1 club and be a complete flop).
Posted by: Teestogreen, October 29, 2022, 10:30pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from HerveJosse

So players can only perform in attractive towns? That’s a new one on me.No wonder we can’t win at home.

Fair enough - we’re crap 🙁
Posted by: MarinerDevil, October 29, 2022, 10:38pm; Reply: 53
Can't disagree with most of what has been said, but I would just add that young players are only going to make it with significant game time, not just 20 minute cameos like ours have been getting (Richardson aside). You cannot judge a young player taking their first steps in the professional game on sub appearances.

Game time is why the loanees are here. If we can't give it to them, then they should be moved on in January to the National League to see if they can kick-start their careers there.

Orsi's situation concerns me a little. We've hardly seen him, which is strange. Hopefully he gets more opportunities.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 29, 2022, 10:43pm; Reply: 54

Waters has now scored 2 in 2 but he’s still only scored the same number of goals as Taylor this season. I’m not convinced Waters is that good. He was average against us last season and dogshît in the other matches I saw him in.

Langstaff is now probably out of our transfer budget, wage budget and our league (I suspect he will sign for a L1 club and be a complete flop).

You have no idea, nor do I, whether he’d have scored more or less playing off Taylor. What’s for sure is that he’s good enough to have been given an extended opportunity to hold down a starting spot. Langstaff is a different case. Surely we would have had as much of a budget as Notts County?
Posted by: Mariner_09, October 29, 2022, 11:36pm; Reply: 55
I’m not going to blame Hurst for the Green substitution, nobody remembers the 10 times it does work, today was the day it didn’t and I don’t think that had any bearing on the result. I even thought Bim did ok before the equalised, after that he was a waste of space and looked like he’d won a raffle.

I thought, when we went ahead so early and then looked like we’d score every time we went forward, Michee and Holohan causing all sorts of problems that if we got another in short order it could’ve been a cricket score. We had the crowd restless, a poor side low on confidence and our tails up. All the ingredients were there and we wasted it. That’s why it’s so so frustrating.
Posted by: TAGG, October 30, 2022, 12:08am; Reply: 56
Quoted from Son of Cod

Easily the worst opinion I've read on here for a long time.

When has he been good??
Posted by: TAGG, October 30, 2022, 12:12am; Reply: 57
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Hunt has been very disappointing
Posted by: Hagrid, October 30, 2022, 12:24am; Reply: 58
Quoted from TAGG

I agree with this, i dont think he’s done anything to be worthy of a spot in the starting 11 thus far
Posted by: Mariner_09, October 30, 2022, 12:26am; Reply: 59
Quoted from TAGG

I agree actually, he’s been poor in the few games he’s played. He wasn’t great in the second half of his loan last season either. He’s a bit lightweight and doesn’t move the ball fast enough for me.
Posted by: Norseman, October 30, 2022, 12:44am; Reply: 60
Dom Telford top scorer in league 2 not getting in Crawley's starting 11 might be worth a look in January
Posted by: Norseman, October 30, 2022, 12:45am; Reply: 61
Quoted from Norseman
Dom Telford top scorer in league 2  last season not getting in Crawley's starting 11 might be worth a look in January

Posted by: Mayaman, October 30, 2022, 1:45am; Reply: 62
What the team is lacking is team spirit.  When we score, the celebrations is listless.  There's something going on in their heads.

Only positives today's was the goal and Efete who had a much better game.  Puzzled me that he got into the box one time and really didn't know what to do with it.   Why on earth didn't we hold on to Mani?  Bags of enthusiasm and he could find the onion bag.   I'm sorry but Taylor is completely ineffective.  Balls zipping across the box and he's know where near them.  A striker should be anticipating those crosses.  Oh, but what about his hold up play?  Then hold the ball up then. He hasn't done that in two games. Remember how much stick The Shop got for his lack of goals.?  Why is Taylor any different?  Trouble is, who else have we got?  Symoonds should have done better with his shot from 8 yards out.  Pepple hasn't shown anything yet but at least he runs and puts defenders under pressure.  Does as one poster said and put Essel on.  Oh, but he's young.   How else will he get experience if he doesn't get game time?  By the time he gets an opportunity to impress he won't be young either.
Posted by: Hagrid, October 30, 2022, 2:04am; Reply: 63
Quoted from Mayaman
What the team is lacking is team spirit.  When we score, the celebrations is listless.  There's something going on in their heads.

Only positives today's was the goal and Efete who had a much better game.  Puzzled me that he got into the box one time and really didn't know what to do with it.   Why on earth didn't we hold on to Mani?  Bags of enthusiasm and he could find the onion bag.   I'm sorry but Taylor is completely ineffective.  Balls zipping across the box and he's know where near them.  A striker should be anticipating those crosses.  Oh, but what about his hold up play?  Then hold the ball up then. He hasn't done that in two games. Remember how much stick The Shop got for his lack of goals.?  Why is Taylor any different?  Trouble is, who else have we got?  Symoonds should have done better with his shot from 8 yards out.  Pepple hasn't shown anything yet but at least he runs and puts defenders under pressure.  Does as one poster said and put Essel on.  Oh, but he's young.   How else will he get experience if he doesn't get game time?  By the time he gets an opportunity to impress he won't be young either.

The team isnt lacking in team spirit at all. Thats a ridiculous comment.

Why didnt we hold on to Mani? I dont know, i really think we should have.

Ive disagreed with you before on Taylor and do again here.

Essel is out on loan at GY Boro
Posted by: BeijingMariner, October 30, 2022, 2:14am; Reply: 64
Quoted from pen penfras

We've not signed a striker for 2 seasons and got away with it last season, but we aren't going to this season.

Sorry mate, should have been more specific "We've not signed a striker for 2 seasons and got away with it last season, but we aren't going to this season."
I don't think the lack of a 20 goal striker means we will 'not get away with it', I was tired and drunk off so forgot to quote the bit I was focussed on

Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 30, 2022, 6:43am; Reply: 65
Quoted from Mayaman

That’s ridiculous. Baseless nonsense.

I’d say our team spirit and fitness have covered for our other deficiencies so far this season.
Posted by: pen penfras, October 30, 2022, 7:47am; Reply: 66
Quoted from Mariner_09

I agree actually, he’s been poor in the few games he’s played. He wasn’t great in the second half of his loan last season either. He’s a bit lightweight and doesn’t move the ball fast enough for me.

I didn't understand why we signed him. He was rubbish in our poor run of form last season and has continued exactly the same. Oldham didn't rate him and stopped playing him at this level.

He has decent set pieces and can pick a pass. But he plays a deep lying midfielder role and doesn't do any of the defensive midfielder things very well. It seems he'd be better playing further forwards, but he never does that and often plays sideways balls to fullbacks that takes any speed away from an attack.

I hoped I was wrong and all the hype was justified, but I just don't see it.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 30, 2022, 7:49am; Reply: 67
If people think the side is missing spirit then I’d question if they’re watching GTFC.

Our spirit makes up for our deficiencies elsewhere.

The obsession with this so called 20 goal a season player is something that’s becoming tiresome. Aside from Amond, Hearn me Connell to some extent, in my life time the 20 goal a season player has almost not existed.

Even at the top, forgetting Haaland, goals are often spread across the team, one key player isn’t always the key anymore,

And besides, we’re looking for the one thing everyone is looking for…

Was letting Manny go a bad idea? May be so but I’d argue the vast majority of town fans didn’t think much of him until his playoff heroics…
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 30, 2022, 8:02am; Reply: 68
Quoted from Mayaman

Most of this I disagree with, especially the point about team spirit, that’s bollox.

Mani would have been an alternative to Taylor but not kept ahead of Taylor, in that role in reality from what we saw wasn’t as good at it. He did score a couple of important play off goals though that can’t be denied and he’s getting a few at tin pot level too.

The point about Essel is just clutching at straws, we’ve got enough young strikers to blood, that’s half the problem so adding another won’t achieve anything different I reckon.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 30, 2022, 8:24am; Reply: 69
Not quite 20, but we've got a 16 goal a season striker* coming back from injury soon.

*ooh, he's not a striker, he's a 10 - go away!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 30, 2022, 9:03am; Reply: 70
Quoted from Hagrid

I agree with this, i dont think he’s done anything to be worthy of a spot in the starting 11 thus far

Possibly because he’s not been in it often enough to judge him?
Posted by: thefish, October 30, 2022, 9:19am; Reply: 71
Quoted from aldi_01
If people think the side is missing spirit then I’d question if they’re watching GTFC.

Our spirit makes up for our deficiencies elsewhere.

The obsession with this so called 20 goal a season player is something that’s becoming tiresome. Aside from Amond, Hearn me Connell to some extent, in my life time the 20 goal a season player has almost not existed.

Even at the top, forgetting Haaland, goals are often spread across the team, one key player isn’t always the key anymore,

And besides, we’re looking for the one thing everyone is looking for…

Was letting Manny go a bad idea? May be so but I’d argue the vast majority of town fans didn’t think much of him until his playoff heroics…

We’ve found our man- slip your boots on Aldi!

Posted by: lukeo, October 30, 2022, 9:23am; Reply: 72
Didn't want to come on last night and probably a good job really..

First 25 minutes I thought we was going to cruise to a 3 or 4-0 win. We hadn't got out of gear 2 but we pushed them so far back they couldn't handle our right side. After that it was just 2 poor teams and they took control of what was a dreadful game and came through with 3 points. Crowcombe the only player for me who deserves any credit. I do like a 3 at the back but in doing that you need 2 upfront. It looked like we was playing 5311 which is rediculous.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 30, 2022, 9:25am; Reply: 73
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Most of this I disagree with, especially the point about team spirit, that’s bollox.

Mani would have been an alternative to Taylor but not kept ahead of Taylor, in that role in reality from what we saw wasn’t as good at it. He did score a couple of important play off goals though that can’t be denied and he’s getting a few at tin pot level too.

The point about Essel is just clutching at straws, we’ve got enough young strikers to blood, that’s half the problem so adding another won’t achieve anything different I reckon.

The point about Essel is he’s ours, not someone else’s cast off. Pepple is a complete waste of a loan.
Posted by: Croxton, October 30, 2022, 9:41am; Reply: 74
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The point about Essel is he’s ours, not someone else’s cast off. Pepple is a complete waste of a loan.

He's the dunnage in the McAtee deal. Get's on the bus to keep Luton on side till next May. We don't need a 20 goal striker per se, just someone who has game intelligence, moves defenders around and can cover ground quicker than Taylor. We can stay comfortably midtable if we continue to get midfielders in the box and support the man with the ball. Trying to replicate either Taylor or McAtee or both is impossible.

Stockport are steadying the ship because they have a stock of experienced players to shuffle. We have too many who lack that experience or the fitness to stay the course.
Posted by: rancido, October 30, 2022, 9:41am; Reply: 75
Quoted from HertsGTFC

At last, a post with a grip on reality. I wasn't at the match or had access to any other means of following the game so can't comment on individual performances. However by reading the earlier comments on this thread a recurrent theme is that several players had below par performances and didn't play to their abilities. Ok maybe Hurst, in some people's opinion, got his tactics and subs wrong - fair comment. That doesn't explain why players on the field misplace passes, make wrong decisions, don't mark their player correctly or give away needless fouls. Their is no easy answer to a sub- par performance as any one involved in football will tell you. As a comparison, how are we placed at the moment in this league as opposed to the same time last year in a league lower? We had a bad patch and several posters wanted Hurst out but he pulled things around and we achieved the almost impossible. Of course we have to push for another promotion but if we ended up in this league placing at the end of the season would that be a disaster? The owners and PH have a long term plan which, with a bit of patience from the fans will bear fruit.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 30, 2022, 9:57am; Reply: 76
Quoted from MuddyWaters

That’s a fair point, not sure you can judge players when they play bit parts in games.

The only thing I can say is that I think there is now science and stats go into bringing players in and you’d assume that as the current loans have come from bigger clubs with more advanced academies etc..,Hurst thinks they’re better than youngsters such as Essel, he’s better qualified than anyone on here to make that decision as he does it for a living.

In terms of Essel, Hurst seems to rate him and it looks like he’s keen to develop him as one for the future whether that’s as a player or sell on. Developing him at a level where he’ll get some challenge, starts and minutes rather than being thrown on when we’re chasing a game looks like the manager feels is better for the player. Like I say Hurst knows best on this one I’m afraid and we’ll just have to accept it.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 30, 2022, 10:52am; Reply: 77
Quoted from HertsGTFC

That’s a fair point, not sure you can judge players when they play bit parts in games.

The only thing I can say is that I think there is now science and stats go into bringing players in and you’d assume that as the current loans have come from bigger clubs with more advanced academies etc..,Hurst thinks they’re better than youngsters such as Essel, he’s better qualified than anyone on here to make that decision as he does it for a living.

In terms of Essel, Hurst seems to rate him and it looks like he’s keen to develop him as one for the future whether that’s as a player or sell on. Developing him at a level where he’ll get some challenge, starts and minutes rather than being thrown on when we’re chasing a game looks like the manager feels is better for the player. Like I say Hurst knows best on this one I’m afraid and we’ll just have to accept it.

As previously described, Pepple is the 'dunnage' in the McAtee deal. Luton know he's not ready and it's a pity we couldn't have bartered for Mendes Gomes or even Pereira. Just seems a shame that we are effectively wasting loans on other people's cast offs.
Posted by: Hagrid, October 30, 2022, 11:01am; Reply: 78
Quoted from MuddyWaters

As previously described, Pepple is the 'dunnage' in the McAtee deal. Luton know he's not ready and it's a pity we couldn't have bartered for Mendes Gomes or even Pereira. Just seems a shame that we are effectively wasting loans on other people's cast offs.

Well is what it is unfortunately.  They allowed us John back the season so ultimately it was the right deal for the club
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 30, 2022, 11:20am; Reply: 79
Quoted from MuddyWaters

That’s what all loans are in reality aren’t they?

“Dunnage” so out of a standard Fishy Sunday meltdown I’ve leant a new word, out of every “crisis” there is always a bright spot 👍
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 30, 2022, 2:12pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from Croxton

He's the dunnage in the McAtee deal. Get's on the bus to keep Luton on side till next May. We don't need a 20 goal striker per se, just someone who has game intelligence, moves defenders around and can cover ground quicker than Taylor. We can stay comfortably midtable if we continue to get midfielders in the box and support the man with the ball. Trying to replicate either Taylor or McAtee or both is impossible.

Stockport are steadying the ship because they have a stock of experienced players to shuffle. We have too many who lack that experience or the fitness to stay the course.

Let’s not cite Stockport as a success story over ours, they’ve won a couple of very winnable home games recently, they’re still behind us and we ripped them to bits a matter of weeks ago. All whilst spending less.
Posted by: Croxton, October 30, 2022, 6:22pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from pontoonlew

Let’s not cite Stockport as a success story over ours, they’ve won a couple of very winnable home games recently, they’re still behind us and we ripped them to bits a matter of weeks ago. All whilst spending less.

Didn't say they are a success story. Simply alluded to the fact that they have ready made L1/ L2 pros to turn to rather than boys learning the game. They ripped themselves to bits to an extent by two keeper errors and a sending off. Some posters have said that Paul has done well to have assembled two teams with cover for every position. We should recognise, however that injuries and loss of form are more likely to test our resources than Stockport, Bradford and the like.

I actually support the owners policy of steady and sustainable growth and would accept a mid table finish for this squad. If Paul was under any pressure from the owners to get into the playoffs he would surely have brought in some sort of experienced cover for either McAtee or Taylor.  
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 30, 2022, 6:29pm; Reply: 82
Play well against Plymouth, best Donny and all will be well again.
Posted by: SouthLakesMariner, October 31, 2022, 12:40am; Reply: 83
Quoted from MuddyWaters

...... or you could say, wasting loans on other people’s Pepples.
Posted by: sam gy, October 31, 2022, 9:05am; Reply: 84
People waiting for a 20 goal number 9 striker will be waiting a long time. They’re rare as rocking horse excrement, and we don’t play the formation to accommodate one.

IMO we need one as a plan B when games aren’t panning out how we like, or to switch things up every now and then and I think Orsi is that man. Just a shame he was injured at beginning of the season, and I think he’s now I’ll or injured again?

Posters on here saying we’ve failed to sign a striker in 2 years….the game has moved on, what we did do is sign McAtee who offers way more than a typical striker AND still scores a decent amount of goals.

The big test will be to replace both Taylor and McAtee at the end of the season.
Posted by: Son of Cod, October 31, 2022, 10:45am; Reply: 85
Quoted from sam gy
People waiting for a 20 goal number 9 striker will be waiting a long time. They’re rare as rocking horse excrement, and we don’t play the formation to accommodate one.

IMO we need one as a plan B when games aren’t panning out how we like, or to switch things up every now and then and I think Orsi is that man. Just a shame he was injured at beginning of the season, and I think he’s now I’ll or injured again?

Posters on here saying we’ve failed to sign a striker in 2 years….the game has moved on, what we did do is sign McAtee who offers way more than a typical striker AND still scores a decent amount of goals.

The big test will be to replace both Taylor and McAtee at the end of the season.

While I agree that #9s/20 goal a season strikers are harder to sign these days, I don't agree with this idea that football has moved on. Flick through the top scorer lists of the top 5 divisions and it's clear that that's not true. Haaland, Kane, Mitrovic and Toney are the top four scorers in the Prem. J-Rod and Oscar Estupinan in the top five in the Championship. Clarke-Harris and Jevani Brown two of the top three in L1. Andy Cook and Danny Johnson second and third in L2. Langstaff and Mullin top and second in the National League.

Yes these players are rarer than they used to be, especially good ones, but they're by no means a dying breed.
Posted by: buckstown, October 31, 2022, 10:51am; Reply: 86
Think it’s the calibre of the player we miss when McAtee is out. Taylor adds value to the team but he’s not quick and he’s not a predator. Better players stay onside and take chances, that’s why we couldn’t finish Bradford or Hartlepool off, and the fact that we wasted chances gives the opposition a lift
Posted by: monkeyboy, October 31, 2022, 10:58am; Reply: 87
I thought Pepple did ok when he came on. he held the ball up well and found a lot more space than Taylor did in the entire game.
he even popped up with a couple of chances but unfortunatly didnt convert but at least he gets in those areas.

I think he will prove a few of you wrong.  he needs a few games and not bit parts.
Posted by: ska face, October 31, 2022, 11:00am; Reply: 88
Quoted from sam gy

Maybe we should change shorthand from 20 to 15 goal a season striker? I think most people would be happy with that.

Someone like Wes Thomas would be a step up on what we have at the moment, and he was a journeyman on the slide who hated playing here. Not unobtainable by any stretch but maybe requires the management to take a bit of a gamble.
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 10:52am