Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: monkeyboy, September 17, 2022, 4:09pm
Sorry his legs have gone for me and he offers very little.
Just saying what most are thinking.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 17, 2022, 4:12pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from monkeyboy

You don’t think for me.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, September 17, 2022, 4:13pm; Reply: 2
I'm not thinking that.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, September 17, 2022, 4:16pm; Reply: 3
I thought he was very average last season, I think he's less then average this year. He's just not a very good target man, but when he gets the ball to feet his ability to flick the ball off into space for a runner is very good
Posted by: monkeyboy, September 17, 2022, 4:17pm; Reply: 4
To slow. Can’t keep the ball and passing is poor.
Gives far to many fouls . May win an odd header which goes to no one.
Prove me wrong
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 17, 2022, 4:18pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You don’t think for me.

Nor me!
Posted by: chipsandgravy, September 17, 2022, 4:22pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from monkeyboy
To slow. Can’t keep the ball and passing is poor.
Gives far to many fouls . May win an odd header which goes to no one.
Prove me wrong

He just has!!
Posted by: Townforlife, September 17, 2022, 4:22pm; Reply: 7
Excellent Taylor pass, Clifton scores.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, September 17, 2022, 4:23pm; Reply: 8
I thought he was very average last season, I think he's less then average this year. He's just not a very good target man, but when he gets the ball to feet his ability to flick the ball off into space for a runner is very good

Here you go - absolute proof he must be decent if this lad thinks not.
Posted by: Hagrid, September 17, 2022, 4:25pm; Reply: 9
We really do have some clueless gits amongst our fanbase
Posted by: barrattstandman, September 17, 2022, 4:26pm; Reply: 10
MONKEYBOY!!!!!!!?????????
MONKEY IDIOT
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 17, 2022, 4:27pm; Reply: 11
Tayls pass, Harry scores. Impeccable timing - well played!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 17, 2022, 4:37pm; Reply: 12
Hilarious!!  
Posted by: TAGG, September 17, 2022, 4:41pm; Reply: 13
Taylor
What a great ball to Clifton for the goal.
Posted by: toontown, September 17, 2022, 4:45pm; Reply: 14
[justify][/justify]
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Hilarious!!  

Aye. LOL
Posted by: Davec, September 17, 2022, 4:49pm; Reply: 15
Excellent ball from Taylor for Clifton's finish

Considering Taylor gets absolutely no support or protection from the referee and gets penalised when he gets fouled I think he does alright
Posted by: AndyGTFC, September 17, 2022, 4:58pm; Reply: 16
How on earth is he not a good target man?
Posted by: EvilFish, September 17, 2022, 4:59pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from monkeyboy

What. A. Loser.

Losing here. Losing there. Losing in life. Just a loser.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 17, 2022, 5:00pm; Reply: 18
He was class today. Sublime ball for the goal as well.

Joke thread
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, September 17, 2022, 5:00pm; Reply: 19
Taylor play well with his back to goal, had another good game today brought others into play and got a good assist for cliftons goal
Posted by: Grimsby2012, September 17, 2022, 5:01pm; Reply: 20
He's past it sadly.

One or two contributions is not enough for a main striker.

Can't rely on clifton to score every game.

I did warn everyone prior to the first game.

Striker is needed
Posted by: ginnywings, September 17, 2022, 5:03pm; Reply: 21
Fundamental to our system. A system that has seen us lose one game and be near the play off spots.

It's a team game
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 17, 2022, 5:04pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Grimsby2012
He's past it sadly.

Striker is needed

Get back under your rock!...
Posted by: EvilFish, September 17, 2022, 5:04pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Grimsby2012
He's past it sadly.

Striker is needed

Thanks for the warning, you absolute tool.
Posted by: Hagrid, September 17, 2022, 5:05pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Grimsby2012
He's past it sadly.

Striker is needed

Shutup
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 17, 2022, 5:06pm; Reply: 25

Waterfall's legs have also gone (allegedly) and he aint doing too bad.
Posted by: Zmariner, September 17, 2022, 5:19pm; Reply: 26
Holds the ball up well and been great over the last 2 seasons.
Great fitness and a proper team player. We would miss him.
utm
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, September 17, 2022, 5:22pm; Reply: 27
What a stupid post.. Taylor has been excellent player for us holds ball up and is a big part of Hurst's team.. thought he was good again today.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 17, 2022, 5:23pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from monkeyboy

His ball over the top on the turn to Clifton suggest he offers a lot...
Posted by: Ruston AT, September 17, 2022, 5:27pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
What a stupid post.. Taylor has been excellent player for us holds ball up and is a big part of Hurst's team.. thought he was good again today.

Absolutely love him, my one comment is, and it runs through the team is we are too honest, I wish we could learn to fall down like the rest of the league.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, September 17, 2022, 5:34pm; Reply: 30
His interplay with McAtee to score in the play offs was pure class.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 17, 2022, 5:35pm; Reply: 31
Also thought he was much more involved because Hunt kept fizzing it into his feet.
Posted by: mrsd, September 17, 2022, 5:40pm; Reply: 32
Great ball for Clifton to score.
Posted by: mrsd, September 17, 2022, 5:40pm; Reply: 33
Great ball for Clifton to score.
Posted by: mrsd, September 17, 2022, 5:41pm; Reply: 34
So good I posted it twice 😂
Posted by: mimma, September 17, 2022, 5:44pm; Reply: 35
We don't have anybody that gives us what he does. He's good at finding players from long balls from the keeper. If he doesn't play we have nothing, and the ball keeps coming back at us.
If we have another player that can win high balls up front then fine, but we haven't.  
Posted by: GtfcGarner, September 17, 2022, 5:55pm; Reply: 36
Might be in the minority but I love Taylor and probably best Target Man we've had since Lump. So intelligent with the ball and his movement, think he gets us another 10 yards up the pitch. Doesn't get the fair share of decisions from referees, there's a reason he's been at decent clubs all his career and never really heard an ex-club give him a bad reference. Will do absolutely wonders for us cementing a decent place in this league and if he does get let go at the end of the season I will have nothing but good words to say about him always gives 100% and put himself available when even carrying knocks or niggles.
Posted by: Spurn boy, September 17, 2022, 6:00pm; Reply: 37
I thought Taylor had a good game, he holds the ball up very well and lays some lovely balls off to the midfield players before moving forward and taking one or two defenders with him. His work rate is very good and he is underestimated for the effort he puts in.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), September 17, 2022, 6:16pm; Reply: 38
I thought that he had one of his best games today, OP needs to learn a bit about football before making stupid comments.
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 17, 2022, 6:18pm; Reply: 39
I wouldn’t say it was one of his best games, I think he struggled to get involved first half. Second half was better and the pass for Clifton was sublime.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 17, 2022, 6:23pm; Reply: 40
Clearly plays well with Alex Hunt.
Posted by: Germo66, September 17, 2022, 6:23pm; Reply: 41
Reminds me of Tony Rees, holds t\he ball up and brings in other player
Posted by: It Bites, September 17, 2022, 6:23pm; Reply: 42
Taylor is class for this level . He must be hell to play against. If social media existed in 1990 the same idiots would be moaning about Birtles , Alexander and Tony Ress  who weren't prolific in front of goal but all three were superb at this level
Posted by: Mariner_09, September 17, 2022, 6:31pm; Reply: 43
Must say I thought I was opening a thread that was going to sing his praises. He was absolutely outstanding today, easily MOM for me. Obviously flawed logic but the only game we’ve lost this season was the game at Orient when Taylor wasn’t fit enough to start. He’s almost irreplaceable, if he gets injured we’ll have to change the way we play.
Posted by: Maringer, September 17, 2022, 6:39pm; Reply: 44
He's not the sort of player that is going to make something out of nothing, but if you get the right service into him and players in support, he'll be an excellent focal point for the attack.

As I've seen mentioned elsewhere, if Hunt can get himself settled quickly and secure a starting place, his passing ability ought to enable some better passes into Taylor rather than the hopeful punts upfield we see too often when we're not playing that well.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 17, 2022, 7:05pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Maringer
He's not the sort of player that is going to make something out of nothing, but if you get the right service into him and players in support, he'll be an excellent focal point for the attack.

As I've seen mentioned elsewhere, if Hunt can get himself settled quickly and secure a starting place, his passing ability ought to enable some better passes into Taylor rather than the hopeful punts upfield we see too often when we're not playing that well.

Hunt will get chance to cement his place because of Bryn’s injury.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, September 17, 2022, 7:05pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Grimsby2012
He's past it sadly.

Striker is needed

Presumably that’s a urine take?

Posted by: sydney, September 17, 2022, 7:17pm; Reply: 47
He Started and scored one of the best GY Goals I have seen at Wrexham
In the play offs
Gives 100% every game
Come on Town!!
Posted by: hampshiremariner, September 17, 2022, 7:59pm; Reply: 48
I am staggered by this picking on one player and having a ‘go’ at him. For goodness sake why cannot some fans on here stop carping and being hyper-critcal. Look at the progesss made over the last twelve months. The owners and Paul Hurst have done a miraculous job in restoring pride in our club and 15 points from 7 games is a fantastic return. Hurst knows this group of players, their strengths and weaknesses. There are improvements that can be made and they are being worked on. Do not expect perfection and a fantastic performanace every game. The GET online report is full of praise for the resolute display of the team today and so should all of us fans. I was critical in the dark days two years ago, but now we have a team and a management structure we can be proud of.The world around us is going bonkers but GTFC is a beacon of light. Jason and Andrew came in at the right time, oherwise we might have found ourselves in the same state as Scunny or lower. But we are looikng upwards thanks to intelligent management both on and off the field. UTM
Posted by: easypeersy, September 17, 2022, 8:19pm; Reply: 49
Taylor has helped us gather 4 points within four days.
Absolute class today.
My man of the match.
I guess some people don’t understand the intricacies of football as well as others.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), September 17, 2022, 8:21pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from easypeersy
Taylor has helped us gather 4 points within four days.
Absolute class today.
My man of the match.
I guess some people don’t understand the intricacies of football as well as others.

This!

Posted by: fishcake63, September 17, 2022, 8:23pm; Reply: 51
He does a job for the team he not a 9 that going to get 20 goals but so much of our play revolves around him
Posted by: aldi_01, September 17, 2022, 8:24pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Grimsby2012
He's past it sadly.

Striker is needed

Evening John, been on the Merlot again…
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 17, 2022, 8:32pm; Reply: 53
I’ve said it before, others have said it today, Tayls plays in a similar way to Tony Rees, who, let’s not forget, was the pivot in possibly the most attractive Town team in recent memory. Hopefully we can find another to replace him in time.
Posted by: aldi_01, September 17, 2022, 8:33pm; Reply: 54
Not a player at the club in 5 years would’ve scored that goal at Wrexham in the playoffs apart from Taylor…
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 17, 2022, 8:35pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from aldi_01
Not a player at the club in 5 years would’ve scored that goal at Wrexham in the playoffs apart from Taylor…

Not forgetting he scored a similar goal in the home game against Wrexham too.
Posted by: aldi_01, September 17, 2022, 8:36pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not forgetting he scored a similar goal in the home game against Wrexham too.

People who judge strikers solely on their goal scoring probably need to get out of the 50s
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 17, 2022, 8:42pm; Reply: 57
We all have opinions on players and Monkeyboy is entitled to his and whilst I am not in total agreement with him I can appreciate where he’s coming from. Taylor has some excellent touches and  combines particularly well with McAtee but whilst he competes regularly for high balls he rarely gets the better of opposing centre halves and for me doesn’t get on the end of enough crosses.

Think he’s a very decent player but IMO should be a squad player now rather than automatic first choice but given we’ve not signed a like for like alternative he’s obviously going to be first choice most of the time. Don’t particularly have a problem with that but would personally prefer a younger more athletic version who scores a few more goals.

In essence whilst appreciating Taylor’s contribution I just want a better version of him, maybe wishful thinking, but just want us to keep progressing and to do that we have to keep gradually improving in each position. I accept that takes time and I’m not clamouring for Taylor to be axed but as stated would be happy to get a younger version.
Posted by: RonMariner, September 17, 2022, 10:09pm; Reply: 58
All I can say is….

FFS
Posted by: A Brace Of Tees, September 17, 2022, 10:13pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Grimsby2012
He's past it sadly.

Striker is needed

It always saddens me when I see a comment on here which demonstrates a hopeless lack of understanding about football. Taylor is a player of absolute class whose ability to read the game and make one touch passes to bring others into play hasn't been seen at our club for a number of years.

I do wish people would stop bleating on about his goals per game ratio as there's so much more to his game than this very narrow view which Hurst obviously understands. But if you want to bring up goalscoring ability then our two best goals from last season were both scored by Taylor, and coincidentally both against Wrexham - one at Blundell Park and the other in the playoff semi final.

Of course he'll have off days as everyone does, but we should be grateful we have a player of his class in the team.

Posted by: 140381 (Guest), September 17, 2022, 10:21pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I’ve said it before, others have said it today, Tayls plays in a similar way to Tony Rees, who, let’s not forget, was the pivot in possibly the most attractive Town team in recent memory. Hopefully we can find another to replace him in time.

This x1000
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, September 17, 2022, 10:52pm; Reply: 61
He was class today why is this even a debate. Last season and this season we havnt needed a 20+ goal striker BECAUSE of taylor and how he brings others into the game.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 17, 2022, 10:55pm; Reply: 62
Just sen the pass for Clifton. It’s beautiful.
Posted by: Sussexmariner, September 18, 2022, 3:22am; Reply: 63
He was class today why is this even a debate. Last season and this season we havnt needed a 20+ goal striker BECAUSE of taylor and how he brings others into the game.

Really?

I was at the game yesterday and I though he offered zero attacking threat all game,
I know all the Taylor fanboys tell us “He brings players into the game” and indeed he does, sadly not as frequently as a player solely on the pitch to do that job, gives far to many fouls away and when he come up against a Centre back with pace he’s found wanting.
More than happy to see him keep his place in the starting 11 if he can start getting into those more attacking positions to make Town a more potent threat going forward.
Or there could be someone at the club that could do both jobs?
Posted by: lukeo, September 18, 2022, 3:45am; Reply: 64
If you could post this about a player in the starting XI every Saturday it'd be much appreciated. Clearly worked!!
Posted by: aldi_01, September 18, 2022, 7:34am; Reply: 65
Moaning about getting in to attacking positions or impacting the game…on a day when he did just that.
Posted by: DaleH, September 18, 2022, 7:42am; Reply: 66
Ryan Taylor is a really good No 10.

I get the feeling that are a minority of fans that are a bit clueless in understanding what the 10 roles and responsibilities are. Those that understand the 10 role, can see that he’s doing a fine job for Town.

This rubbish about “legs gone” by the way. Tell that to Wrexham. I think they’ll tell you that his looked just fine when he powered himself to get across their defenders to head that outstanding goal from McAtee’s super cross.

Taylor’s got loads to bring to the table at this level, and as far as I’m concerned he’s delivering it too. That pass yesterday for the winner was immense. The vision and the execution was just sublime.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 18, 2022, 8:01am; Reply: 67
Quoted from Sussexmariner

Really?

I was at the game yesterday and I though he offered zero attacking threat all game,
I know all the Taylor fanboys tell us “He brings players into the game” and indeed he does, sadly not as frequently as a player solely on the pitch to do that job, gives far to many fouls away and when he come up against a Centre back with pace he’s found wanting.
More than happy to see him keep his place in the starting 11 if he can start getting into those more attacking positions to make Town a more potent threat going forward.
Or there could be someone at the club that could do both jobs?

This is absolute bollox.

Playing the pivot role also includes dragging defenders around to allow runners, like Harry did, to get in behind. It’s not playground football where the striker hangs around on the last defender.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 18, 2022, 8:13am; Reply: 68
Not sure what this fuss is all about. Surely people aren’t expecting Taylor to see and play a pass to put a mid field player on a run into space so he can loop the ball over the opposing keeper to score the winner in an away game?

Similar to what Dale says Taylor is the kind of player that opponents might not worry about like they would say McAtee but you can be sure that they’re told not to give him any time on the ball or space as he’ll link play and stopping that is a way to disrupt our attacks. Ask yourself why defenders get tight to him?

Also he’s an experienced head who knows what to do and look after himself on the pitch in a relatively young team which I think is quite valuable at the minute.
Posted by: FPVmariner, September 18, 2022, 8:19am; Reply: 69
Attacking our own players when we’ve lost ONE game, incredible.  I’m not suggesting we should wax lyrical over every performance but let’s have some perspective.  Some of you should just fûck off and support your ‘other’ team.  City is it?
Posted by: GTFC_85, September 18, 2022, 8:42am; Reply: 70
Quoted from monkeyboy

Here we go again. Town doing well and another idiot casting shadows when they have no clue how much the player offers to the team on and off match day. For me Taylor's still such a clever player and has attributes others don't. It's the whole team made up of the sum of the parts. We are 8th, don't criticise
Posted by: 1mickylyons, September 18, 2022, 8:56am; Reply: 71
I wonder sometimes what game people are watching?
Taylor held the ball up played in other players and made the quality pass for the goal.A consumate professional and probably one of the first names on the team sheet? Over the course of the Season he won't score a bagful of goals but I bet he gets the really important ones and the 3 young forwards we currently have will all learn.
Posted by: sam gy, September 18, 2022, 9:13am; Reply: 72
The big men up top who don’t score loads but offer so much more to the team, along with the defensive midfielders who do all the dirty work are often both the most maligned players/positions and that is simply because some people are either too young/naive or just don’t understand football.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 18, 2022, 9:47am; Reply: 73
Quoted from GTFC_85

Here we go again. Town doing well and another idiot casting shadows when they have no clue how much the player offers to the team on and off match day. For me Taylor's still such a clever player and has attributes others don't. It's the whole team made up of the sum of the parts. We are 8th, don't criticise

You can’t believe it can you, yesterday on RH “Andy from Cleethorpes” messaged in to say (I’ll paraphrase) Hurst should stop signing loans and journeymen and play more of the kids and 2 up front.

In terms of any player what matters most is the opinion of the manager and based upon Hurst’s skill, experience, loads of data and how he wants us to set up he like most of us see Taylor as a real asset.

Let’s not forget a few weeks ago some so called “supporters”where posting that Clifton offered nothing and wasn’t worth a starting place and the went on to verbally insult and deride anyone who disagreed.

It’s the Fishy and nobody should be surprised at the level of stupidity we see like the OP on this thread.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), September 18, 2022, 9:53am; Reply: 74

Quoted from HertsGTFC
  Let’s not forget a few weeks ago some so called “supporters” where posting that Clifton offered nothing and wasn’t worth a starting place and the went on to verbally insult and deride anyone who disagreed.

Could you paste that post here please?

Posted by: ginnywings, September 18, 2022, 10:09am; Reply: 75
Quoted from 123614

Could you paste that post here please?

Short memory?
Posted by: Mayaman, September 18, 2022, 11:15am; Reply: 76
Quoted from Townforlife
Excellent Taylor pass, Clifton scores.

Watched it again.  Quality ball.  We need more Town players putting balls in like that so Taylor can get on the end of them.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 18, 2022, 11:18am; Reply: 77
Quoted from Mayaman

Watched it again.  Quality ball.  We need more Town players putting balls in like that so Taylor can get on the end of them.

I hope you’re being ironic.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), September 18, 2022, 11:57am; Reply: 78
Quoted from ginnywings

Short memory?

No, I know what my post said, I said he was a great asset to the team but I don't think he is a LW.  I never said that Clifton added nothing or that he wasn't worth a starting place.  Neither did I write any abusive posts to other contributors to that thread.  Some people need to get their facts right.
Posted by: Lost in Lincoln, September 18, 2022, 12:20pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from hampshiremariner
I am staggered by this picking on one player and having a ‘go’ at him. For goodness sake why cannot some fans on here stop carping and being hyper-critcal. Look at the progesss made over the last twelve months. The owners and Paul Hurst have done a miraculous job in restoring pride in our club and 15 points from 7 games is a fantastic return. Hurst knows this group of players, their strengths and weaknesses. There are improvements that can be made and they are being worked on. Do not expect perfection and a fantastic performanace every game. The GET online report is full of praise for the resolute display of the team today and so should all of us fans. I was critical in the dark days two years ago, but now we have a team and a management structure we can be proud of.The world around us is going bonkers but GTFC is a beacon of light. Jason and Andrew came in at the right time, oherwise we might have found ourselves in the same state as Scunny or lower. But we are looikng upwards thanks to intelligent management both on and off the field. UTM

Quite.

I could understand it it was a shithouse like Barry Conlon, stealing a wage, but Taylor gives everything and never complains.

Reminds me a bit of Lump, who also used to get alot of undeserved stick.

Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 18, 2022, 12:30pm; Reply: 80
Only a couple of weeks ago people were slagging Clifton off….
I’m all for letting players know if they are half arsed and not giving a excrement about the team. None of this lot even remotely are like that and as such, they’ll get the support they deserve, Taylor included.
Posted by: Youngy, September 18, 2022, 12:40pm; Reply: 81
I think the mark of Taylor's quality is the amount of games he's played at league 2 or higher without having a highly prolific record.

32 games in the Championship for Bristol City
100 games in League One
264 in League Two including 119 at Rotherham and 55 at Portsmouth

He's played 497 career games with a goal scoring record of less then a goal every 7 games but the appearances stats is more telling. You don't play that many games as a forward without having some quality.

Posted by: BlackandWhiteBarmy2, September 18, 2022, 1:58pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from 1mickylyons
I wonder sometimes what game people are watching?
Taylor held the ball up played in other players and made the quality pass for the goal.A consumate professional and probably one of the first names on the team sheet? Over the course of the Season he won't score a bagful of goals but I bet he gets the really important ones and the 3 young forwards we currently have will all learn.

I've watched Taylor with these young players. He is brilliant with them, constantly talking to them almost training them during the game. There was a moment with Pepple when he had missed a good chance and was almost distraught in the box, it was Taylor who got him up and spoke to him and re-assured him. He didn't have a go at him, he taught him. Next time take a look at how he is with these young lads, as well as being IMHO, a class act in his own right.

Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 18, 2022, 2:02pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from 123614

No, I know what my post said, I said he was a great asset to the team but I don't think he is a LW.  I never said that Clifton added nothing or that he wasn't worth a starting place.  Neither did I write any abusive posts to other contributors to that thread.  Some people need to get their facts right.

You’re correct that’s how I recall it, but others jumped on your bandwagon.
Posted by: HerveJosse, September 18, 2022, 2:49pm; Reply: 84
He is coming to the end of a long playing career he can still do some things but can’t do others and we are squeezing every last ounce out of him. When we have a better option he will be out. Until then he deserves gratitude for what he has helped us achieve since he came not criticism about the bits he can’t do any longer..
Posted by: Poojah, September 18, 2022, 2:52pm; Reply: 85
I think the time Taylor will be appreciated most will be when he is unavailable. He’s a classy if not prolific number 9; not many players at this level would have thought of nor executed the pass for Clifton’s winner yesterday.

He’s one of the players I’d be most disappointed not to see in our starting lineup, admittedly in part due to our lack of like-for-like replacement and I think he’ll bring even more up the table once McAtee returns.
Posted by: chaos33, September 18, 2022, 3:16pm; Reply: 86
Some people with strong opinions either don’t know much about football, or have an unrealistic and/or entitled attitude. Or both. This is what has happened with both Clifton and Taylor. Bit embarrassing.
Posted by: DB, September 18, 2022, 4:04pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from monkeyboy

The only person who thinks for me is the wife, and I'm not married to you.

Posted by: It Bites, September 18, 2022, 5:45pm; Reply: 88
To summarise. If the Team sheet came out and either Taylor Crocombe Waterfall were missing I'd be worried. The squad has enough depth now but they haven't all got what those 3 have
Posted by: Mariner_09, September 18, 2022, 5:48pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from It Bites
To summarise. If the Team sheet came out and either Taylor Crocombe Waterfall were missing I'd be worried. The squad has enough depth now but they haven't all got what those 3 have

Waterfall has had a low key excellent reintroduction to League football. He’s been solid and the more commanding of our CB’s, who are a top partnership at this level. You wouldn’t know it was the same player who looked like bambi on ice in the relegation season.
Posted by: chaos33, September 18, 2022, 7:16pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from DB

The only person who thinks for me is the wife, and I'm not married to you.

‘The wife’ ?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 18, 2022, 7:47pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from HertsGTFC

You’re correct that’s how I recall it, but others jumped on your bandwagon.

I still wonder what Harry’s best position is and whether he gets in the team if and when all are fit. That includes Scannell, McAtee and Khan.
Posted by: sam gy, September 18, 2022, 7:57pm; Reply: 92
Thing is though, that’s another thing Clifton had in his locker. He is ALWAYS fit and available. And probably the fittest in the squad. You can’t say the same about any of those, certainly not Scannell (not his fault I know)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 18, 2022, 8:20pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from sam gy
Thing is though, that’s another thing Clifton had in his locker. He is ALWAYS fit and available. And probably the fittest in the squad. You can’t say the same about any of those, certainly not Scannell (not his fault I know)

Fitness should be a given in a professional footballer. That’s not always the case. As for your comment re Scanz, look at his Facebook page, he’s certainly giving his all.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, September 18, 2022, 8:39pm; Reply: 94
Personally I think Paul knows a lot more about running a football club and team than any of us lot…..
Posted by: Lost in Lincoln, September 19, 2022, 12:05am; Reply: 95
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Fitness should be a given in a professional footballer. That’s not always the case. As for your comment re Scanz, look at his Facebook page, he’s certainly giving his all.

I don't think he was having a goat Scannell, certainly not how I read it.
Posted by: HarrogateMariner, September 19, 2022, 1:06am; Reply: 96
So I start reading this thread thinking this will be good,  a positive outlook after another fine away win and superb goal, the likes of which 24 months ago we wouldn't have even dreamed of.

Well the positivity lasted for all of 2 seconds. I genuinely don't understand what some fans want. We are a league 2 club. We are not Man City etc. As many others have thankfully pointed out, if you can't see what Ryan Taylor brings to the side, given the formation and tactics we play, then sorry but you have no understanding about football. For as long as Hurst sticks with this style and formation (and he should considering results) Taylor has to start. If we switched to a traditional 442, then maybe I can see an argument for looking at alternatives. However I would still have him in the team. That assist yesterday was a beauty.

As for Clifton. There is no case to answer. Another who simply is undroppable at the moment. Superb finish again. Has to start all league matches. As someone else said, if he keeps this run going, we may have a problem in January.

For what it is worth, for me Crocombe, Smith, Waterfall, Hoolohan, Clifton and Taylor are names that have to be on that team sheet week in, week out. All have been very consistent so far and have proven they can easily cut it at this level. I would include Morris as well if not injured.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 19, 2022, 6:03am; Reply: 97
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I still wonder what Harry’s best position is and whether he gets in the team if and when all are fit. That includes Scannell, McAtee and Khan.

He may have found his best position based upon the impact he’s having on games.

Like many I’m sure he’s more cut out for CM.
Posted by: Son of Cod, September 19, 2022, 2:04pm; Reply: 98
Glad to see so many people sticking up for Taylor. Can't comprehend how people don't rate him. Would love to see stats on his ball retention. The amount of balls that are pumped into him and always seems to manage to find a Town shirt. He's integral to the way we play.

Quoted from LondonMariner43
His interplay with McAtee to score in the play offs was pure class.

Such a good goal that one at Wrexham. Absolutely class finish, very similar to his finish at home to Wrexham in the league (albeit that was Sousa not McAtee that assisted). McAtee's goal vs Stockport was probably my favourite other bit of those two linking up.

Quoted from GtfcGarner
Might be in the minority but I love Taylor and probably best Target Man we've had since Lump

Yep, came here to say this. Easily the best targetman we've had since Lumpaldinho.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 19, 2022, 2:20pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from HertsGTFC

He may have found his best position based upon the impact he’s having on games.

Like many I’m sure he’s more cut out for CM.

He’s doing great where he is .. but for certain harry thinks of himself as a central midfielder
Posted by: lobsterpot, September 21, 2022, 7:02pm; Reply: 100
I've not been on here for yonks and reading the OP's comment i'll not be back on for another long while. The guy must actually have a rolled up piece of turd for a brain. How can anyone think bad of what Ryan brings to the table. I wont go into detail as the peeps on here who understand footy have already said it but id hazard a guess the OP is a mainstay on Grimsby praise and grumble. I left that aswell due to braindead fookwits. UTM
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 21, 2022, 7:17pm; Reply: 101
Ryan Taylor would always be far more appreciated for what he brings to the team - when he is out injured etc.

He does so much unselfish work to create space, chances and opportunities for others.  He enables other players to get up the field by winning the ball and/or holding up play cleverly.
Posted by: acko338, September 21, 2022, 9:45pm; Reply: 102
How many goals would McAtee have scored last season if he didn't have Taylor alongside him?

Who else but Taylor would have headed in that cross from McAtee against Wrexham?

Harry, don't bother scoring from that through ball from Taylor !

Hursty, don't play Taylor when fit, OBVIOUSLY brings nothing to the team !!

Taylor often leads with his arm, because he gets little help from refs with pushes in the back or more blatent fouls.

It may be his last season as 1st choice, so we need to get the most out of him on the field and in training, helping the younger strikers !!
Posted by: Mariner_09, September 21, 2022, 10:08pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from acko338
How many goals would McAtee have scored last season if he didn't have Taylor alongside him?

Who else but Taylor would have headed in that cross from McAtee against Wrexham?

Harry, don't bother scoring from that through ball from Taylor !

Hursty, don't play Taylor when fit, OBVIOUSLY brings nothing to the team !!

Taylor often leads with his arm, because he gets little help from refs with pushes in the back or more blatent fouls.

It may be his last season as 1st choice, so we need to get the most out of him on the field and in training, helping the younger strikers !!

I think Taylor’s one of those players, a bit like Kevin Davies or Gary Jones, where there’s always a foul going on. If you look closely on Saturday, you’ll see the defender holding Taylor or climbing but then Taylor will be leading with his arm, backing in, hence the ref just plays on. You have to be physical to play the role he does.

Equally, if you can’t see what he brings to the team, I don’t think you understand football. He often gets balls fizzed into him, that are difficult to control and he someone keeps it and lays it off. It’s clear to see he’s play at a much higher level given his touch and quality in general.
Posted by: forza ivano, September 21, 2022, 11:37pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from lobsterpot
I've not been on here for yonks and reading the OP's comment i'll not be back on for another long while. The guy must actually have a rolled up piece of turd for a brain. How can anyone think bad of what Ryan brings to the table. I wont go into detail as the peeps on here who understand footy have already said it but id hazard a guess the OP is a mainstay on Grimsby praise and grumble. I left that aswell due to braindead fookwits. UTM

don't be a stranger. think the thread shows that the majority know and appreciate what Taylor does and what he brings to the team. It's a sign of how our fanbase has changed - think there's a majority who can see the benefit and equally say if he's good enough for PH ,he's good enough for me
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 22, 2022, 10:23am; Reply: 105
I'm just keen to see this younger, fitter, faster and more prolific striker that people are talking about.  He must be bloody good and god knows how we'll have managed to fit him into our wage budget...
Posted by: Poojah, September 22, 2022, 10:30am; Reply: 106
Quoted from diehardmariner
I'm just keen to see this younger, fitter, faster and more prolific striker that people are talking about.  He must be bloody good and god knows how we'll have managed to fit him into our wage budget...

We were linked with a few that meet that criteria to be fair, Sam Cosgrove and the slightly more realistic Harry Smith to name a couple. Both went to League One clubs.

Evidently they’re not easy players to find within our budget, but I do still feel that the absence of a like-for-like alternative for Taylor (should he struggle with fitness or form) is the standout deficiency of our squad and, as things stand, will probably be our number one priority in January.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 22, 2022, 10:47am; Reply: 107
No doubt it's a gap in the squad.  I'd argue it's the only role we don't have sufficient cover for (outfield anyway).  

But those names you mention, neither have amazing records.  I'll be honest I've not seen anything of Cosgrove but his record at League One/Two is pretty poor, his only real period of note is in the SPL.

I like Harry Smith and would have liked him here.  But more as a the Mani type role than bringing what Taylor does, I don't think that's his game.  

The point I'm making is that those players get moves to League One clubs when I'm not convinced they're better than Taylor.  Realistically we're going to have pull a rabbit out the hat to get something as good as, or better, than Taylor at our level.  We've got him because he's the wrong side of 30 and perhaps not as durable to knocks as he once was.  The younger, fitter and faster players are the likes of Pepple, Richardson who are still learning the game and don't have the know-how yet.  If they're younger, fitter, faster, more prolific and have the intelligence to lead the line then they sure as hell won't be slumming it in League Two.
Posted by: Maringer, September 22, 2022, 11:56am; Reply: 108
I agree that the lack of a like-for-like backup for Taylor is the one obvious weakness in the squad. No doubt, we have the players to play a slightly different formation and style if and when he is unavailable, but that rather defeats the object of working on a formation in training!

I do wonder if we'd try a 3-5-2 at some point (or 3-4-1-2) with two out and out strikers?
Posted by: toontown, September 22, 2022, 1:20pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from Maringer
I agree that the lack of a like-for-like backup for Taylor is the one obvious weakness in the squad. No doubt, we have the players to play a slightly different formation and style if and when he is unavailable, but that rather defeats the object of working on a formation in training!

I do wonder if we'd try a 3-5-2 at some point (or 3-4-1-2) with two out and out strikers?

People keep mentioning 3 at the back, presumably to get maher in there, but we have so many wide players that we then can't play I can't see it. JmD, kiernan, Khan, wearne, clifton, scannell (when fit).
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 22, 2022, 2:03pm; Reply: 110
3-4-3?

I'd have no issue about having Clifton and Glennon as wingbacks with two of the more natural wingers operating a little further upfield.  The issues with that are a) who plays the central role if Taylor isn't available? b) where do you fit McAtee in when he returns?

Considering how watertight we've been so far, I can't see any immediate switch from a back four.
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 8:48am