Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 6, 2022, 8:41am

Nominated for Sky Bet League Two Player of the Month: August.

https://www.efl.com/news/2022/september/sky-bet-league-two-player-of-the-month-august-nominations/
Posted by: aldi_01, September 6, 2022, 8:47am; Reply: 1
Proof that coaching, desire, culture, self reflection and self belief can turn you around…
Posted by: Rick12, September 6, 2022, 8:51am; Reply: 2
Quoted from aldi_01
Proof that coaching, desire, culture, self reflection and self belief can turn you around…
Ive seen Waterfall play a few times and always liked what I saw. Gave a lot of commitment .

Posted by: Hagrid, September 6, 2022, 9:01am; Reply: 3
been absolutely outstanding for night on 12 months
Posted by: devs, September 6, 2022, 9:16am; Reply: 4
Quoted from aldi_01

This

Would have been no surprise at all if he'd left after relegation
He had a shocking season under Hollowords - but I suspect he just wasn't motivated by what was happening at the club etc and playing in empty stadiums etc

PH must rate him and must have seen something - Hurst and Doig's motivational skills and man management skills can't be over estimated; players want to play for them

Waterfall is a giant at the back and a great leader

Posted by: HatTrickHero, September 6, 2022, 9:18am; Reply: 5
Great news. Worth pointing out tho' that the Waterfall/Smith combo works so well. Waterfall is just so good at timing, intercepting high balls by winning towering headers above the oppositions forwards while Smith is a master at picking pockets, always anticipating the pass and getting ahead of the receiving player (see McAtees equaliser vs Solihull), and not bad in the air either.

Tough one for Hursty to perm the best two from his selection of CB's.
Posted by: golfer, September 6, 2022, 10:03am; Reply: 6
Smith is learning a lot from Waterfall - one of the reasons he was allowed to come here by his parent club
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, September 6, 2022, 11:35am; Reply: 7
Quoted from HatTrickHero
Great news. Worth pointing out tho' that the Waterfall/Smith combo works so well. Waterfall is just so good at timing, intercepting high balls by winning towering headers above the oppositions forwards while Smith is a master at picking pockets, always anticipating the pass and getting ahead of the receiving player (see McAtees equaliser vs Solihull), and not bad in the air either.

Tough one for Hursty to perm the best two from his selection of CB's.

You're right but he was also playing well last season before Smith joined us.
Posted by: Poojah, September 6, 2022, 11:44am; Reply: 8
Waterfall isn’t the first Town player to come back a different player after the summer following a disappointing season (Rob Jones anyone), but his transformation from where he was in that disastrous season under Holloway to where he is now is remarkable.

Hurst and the coaching team deserve their share of credit for the turnaround, but ultimately the lion’s share of praise deserves to go to the player himself. It takes real mental strength and resilience to do what he has done.

If he hadn’t, he could very well be playing for Scunny right now, or worse. Hang on, that’s not possible. He could be playing for Scunny.
Posted by: gtfc_chris, September 6, 2022, 11:49am; Reply: 9
Waterfall obviously takes the kudos for how he's conducted his business and earned his place in the team. What's also worth noting is that intially, PH had spoken and said he wasn't necessarily in his plans. For me, this shows that if a player works hard in the same way LW has, we have a manager who will reflect on his initial viewpoint and not shut the door on a player.

Obviously in this scenario we're talking about Waterfall but - although he wasn't here at the start of last season to see this - hopefully it might offer JMD the impetus and proof that if he gets his head down, the perceived 'closed door' isn't necessarily so and as long as he works he has just as much opportunity to break back into the side than not.

I'm sure we as fans won't mind who's in the team if we're doing well, but hopefully that approach by the manager will contribute a little way to keeping players motivated when out of the team throughout the season.

However, after digressing from the original point, it has been great to see a player come good from what seemed like a position of not being wanted, I certainly confess to seeing him as not good enough following our relegation and more than happy to eat my words, he's had an amazing 12 months.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, September 6, 2022, 12:30pm; Reply: 10
Absolutely outstanding defender at this level and the one below not blessed with great pace but reads the game so well it seldom matters.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, September 6, 2022, 12:46pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from aldi_01

On this occasion, the player was not at fault. Holloway was fully responsible for Luke's struggling so badly that season. He was instructed to recieve the ball under pressure, bring the ball out from the back and play it into midfield. He was always going to struggle to play like Franco Baresi. He thrives when asked to win his headers, dominate physically and to clear his lines. It's staggering that man has had success as a manager, utter buffonery.
Posted by: SouthLakesMariner, September 6, 2022, 12:55pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Poojah
Waterfall isn’t the first Town player to come back a different player after the summer following a disappointing season (Rob Jones anyone), but his transformation from where he was in that disastrous season under Holloway to where he is now is remarkable.

Hurst and the coaching team deserve their share of credit for the turnaround, but ultimately the lion’s share of praise deserves to go to the player himself. It takes real mental strength and resilience to do what he has done.

If he hadn’t, he could very well be playing for Scunny right now, or worse. Hang on, that’s not possible. He could be playing for Scunny.

Ah, Jones the Stick ..... one of my favourite players from the Russel Slade Mk1 era for many reasons, not least his turnaround in form from what Poojah correctly and possibly generously describes as a disappointing first season.
Posted by: toontown, September 6, 2022, 12:58pm; Reply: 13
This is one case were the credit has to go with the player to be honest, he was told by Hurst he could leave, he wanted to stay and fight for his place and once he got in he simply couldn't be ousted from the line up. Fair play to Hurst for being being willing to have his mind changed, some managers wouldn't.

Waterfall has been excellent for 12 months (bar a couple of bizarre hiccups around the Barnet away game). I admit I would have been happy to get rid after our relegation but he has made everyone eat their words.
Posted by: Mariner_09, September 6, 2022, 12:59pm; Reply: 14
I never had any concerns that he wouldn’t be up to it this season. I’m not sure he was actually as bad as some people say he was. He had a disaster the night we got relegated at Exeter and I think he got scapegoated on the back of that. He wasn’t good, by any measure but he wasn’t the unmitigated disaster some suggest he was.

He was my POTS last year, thought his consistency gave him the edge over McAtee, and that was before the playoffs where he was fundamental. Now he’s got a proper structure around him, a great partner, a better keeper behind him and top midfielders in front of him, plus has had a couple of proper preseasons under a proper manager, he looks like a top L2 centre back. He’s played in L1 before, so it’s no surprise he looks good at this level again.
Posted by: Poojah, September 6, 2022, 1:04pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from toontown
Waterfall has been excellent for 12 months (bar a couple of bizarre hiccups around the Barnet away game).

Indeed, I think that minute against Maidenhead was possibly the worst I’ve seen from anyone in a Town shirt (and that’s going some). Scoring an own goal, conceding a penalty and getting sent off, all in the space of 60 seconds, is no mean feat.

All is forgiven, of course.
Posted by: Mayaman, September 6, 2022, 3:05pm; Reply: 16
Luke has been an inspiration.  Remember those two shocking games prior to the play-offs?    Head didn't go down, came back, bagged a few goals and led us to victory over the three games. For me, he was the player of the season.
Posted by: MrThirsty, September 6, 2022, 3:23pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from SouthLakesMariner

Ah, Jones the Stick ..... one of my favourite players from the Russel Slade Mk1 era for many reasons, not least his turnaround in form from what Poojah correctly and possibly generously describes as a disappointing first season.

I remember going to an away game on a Friday night at Southend with a friend, who had played football at a decent level, who could not believe Rob Jones was a professional footballer but he went on to prove us all wrong!

With regards Luke Waterfall, I believe Paul Hurst said that when Waterfall returned for preseason last year he couldn’t believe how fit he was and how determined he was to succeed. I think anyone could have been derailed by Holloway and it is to Waterfall’s credit that he came back to such great effect last season and has continued in the same vein this season.
Posted by: acko338, September 6, 2022, 3:59pm; Reply: 18
I am waiting for several more repeats of the old chestnut.... Hunt takes the corner, bulleted to Waterfall..... Goal !!!!

Who's with me ?????
Posted by: RonMariner, September 7, 2022, 8:49am; Reply: 19
Quoted from acko338
I am waiting for several more repeats of the old chestnut.... Hunt takes the corner, bulleted to Waterfall..... Goal !!!!

Who's with me ?????

Yup. I think we will see a few of those. Hunt’s delivery into the box is first class. Put on Waterfall’s head and a goal is very probable.
Posted by: Maringer, September 7, 2022, 9:45am; Reply: 20
I hope we can work out a way of attacking corners which allows Efete to get into the box. This season, in the matches I've seen, he's been the one hanging back to defend against the break, probably because Glennon has been taking the corners. Would be better if we could add another threat in there as I seem to recall he scored a few headed goals last season as well. If Hunt starts to take the corners, then you'd imagine Glennon will be the deepest covering defender.
Posted by: Kris2, September 7, 2022, 10:32am; Reply: 21
Luke Waterfall deserves all the praise he's been getting for being an absolute mountain at the back and unstoppable in the box for getting his head on corners. A great example of a player who has the right attitude to force his way back into the team after being told he's not in the plans. Never complained, just got on with it and took his chances when he got it to prove a point, now he's cemented his place in the team and hard to imagine him losing it anytime soon. It's not just his ability as a player it's his influence on the pitch.

As for Hunt, looking forward to seeing him take corners again as he has some real ability at set pieces. His corner taking style with those flat balls moving away from the goalkeeper are always hard to defend against and he found Waterfall with some accuracy. Waterfall was able to profit from the delivery to the point he was telling Hunt where he wants it and Hunt would drop it right on his head.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 7, 2022, 8:00pm; Reply: 22
We started last season with Longe-King and Pearson, and Waterfall on the bench. Once he got in the team, he wasn't letting anyone take his place.
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 7, 2022, 8:13pm; Reply: 23
It’s funny because as individuals, Pollock and Waterfall are two of the best cbs we’ve had in a good few years.

As a pairing however it was an absolute flipping disaster and a lot can be said for how Waterfall has improved without playing alongside an incredibly slow partner.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 7, 2022, 8:36pm; Reply: 24
When is it announced (officially) ?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 7, 2022, 8:43pm; Reply: 25
A testimony to his testicles which are clearly huge, and a nod to PH for excellent man management!
Posted by: FPVmariner, September 7, 2022, 9:56pm; Reply: 26
Every team needs a leader, not necessarily the best player, but a genuine leader who just stands up to be counted with a never say die attitude.  Luke is a 100% effort no nonsense player, won’t ever win a skill speed or ability contest, but he’ll knock a brick wall down with determination.  A lower league Tony Adam’s and the type of player every club needs.
Posted by: RonMariner, September 7, 2022, 10:15pm; Reply: 27
It’s going to some competition for places at CB when Maher, who was considered one of, if not the, best cb in the National League last season is fully fit. Great problem to have.

Of course there will be injuries and suspensions during the season and it is good to know we have three excellent centre backs on the books. Can’t remember when we have been so strong in this area.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, September 8, 2022, 4:21am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Maringer
I hope we can work out a way of attacking corners which allows Efete to get into the box. This season, in the matches I've seen, he's been the one hanging back to defend against the break, probably because Glennon has been taking the corners. Would be better if we could add another threat in there as I seem to recall he scored a few headed goals last season as well. If Hunt starts to take the corners, then you'd imagine Glennon will be the deepest covering defender.

Agreed, Efete gives another aerial corner threat.  Think it's been Clifton plus a.n.other hanging back, so while it depends on the corner taker, (hunt or glennon) may also depend on whether Amos is on the pitch to also hang back.

Print page generated: May 26, 2024, 4:14am