Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: sutton mariner, September 4, 2022, 7:05pm
Any town fans based out there? I’m out there this week & wouldn’t mind some company watching the game on Saturday!

UTM
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 4, 2022, 8:11pm; Reply: 1
I’m pretty sure Grimsby is very near Toronto so you could watch us there…
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 4, 2022, 8:12pm; Reply: 2
Just looked and it is. Also nearby are Binbrook, Lincoln and Wainfleet.
Posted by: chaos33, September 4, 2022, 8:15pm; Reply: 3
Ahhhh……childhood memories of Binbrook and the lightnings! 🥰
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 4, 2022, 8:30pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from chaos33
Ahhhh……childhood memories of Binbrook and the lightnings! 🥰

My wife lived on the base with her first husband, "English Electric Lightning" best name for a fighter ever.

Posted by: LondonMariner43, September 4, 2022, 8:38pm; Reply: 5
I grew up 3 miles from Binbrook and to the sound of Lightnings overhead
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 4, 2022, 9:21pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Spent many a Saturday night at discos on the old RAF Binbrook, any chance you knew Anthony “Fatty” Simons who went to De Aston and grew up in Binbrook?
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, September 4, 2022, 9:39pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
I’m pretty sure Grimsby is very near Toronto so you could watch us there…

I once drove from Toronto to Niagara Falls with the plan for an obligatory stop and photo in Grimsby, in my Grimsby shirt, on the way.

Unfortunately, it was NY Eve, about -20C and I was only just brave enough to get out of the car, never mind strip down to Errea’s finest to flash the stripes.
Posted by: Poojah, September 4, 2022, 9:46pm; Reply: 8

I once drove from Toronto to Niagara Falls with the plan for an obligatory stop and photo in Grimsby, in my Grimsby shirt, on the way.

Unfortunately, it was NY Eve, about -20C and I was only just brave enough to get out of the car, never mind strip down to Errea’s finest to flash the stripes.

Copying the name is one thing but to copy the Blundell Park microclimate is taking the pìss.
Posted by: chaos33, September 4, 2022, 10:36pm; Reply: 9
I’ve driven from Toronto to Niagara. What a piece of the world that is.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 4, 2022, 10:45pm; Reply: 10
The town of Niagara reminded me of Funland in Cleethorpes.
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 4, 2022, 10:48pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from chaos33
I’ve driven from Toronto to Niagara. What a piece of the world that is.

I've driven from Cleethorpes to Hubbard's Hills.

Posted by: LH, September 4, 2022, 10:58pm; Reply: 12
Ooft a Grimsby Town/fighter jet thread. Now you’re talking!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 5, 2022, 11:56am; Reply: 13
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Lived in barnoldby for a few years directly under the flight path of lightnings, phantoms, tornados, harriers, a10’s, f1-11, f15,sr71 etc etc etc etc etc

Amazing days. And I biked with my brother to binbrook on its last day just to watch from the crash barriers (can’t remember which one)
Posted by: wuffing, September 5, 2022, 12:03pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Lived in barnoldby for a few years directly under the flight path of lightnings, phantoms, tornados, harriers, a10’s, f1-11, f15,sr71 etc etc etc etc etc

Amazing days. And I biked with my brother to binbrook on its last day just to watch from the crash barriers (can’t remember which one)

As kids, myself and my mates would ride out to Binbrook from the Grange Estate in the summer holidays to watch the lightnings come and go. We were all blown away one memorable day when a Harrier jump jet turned up to land, stopped short of the runway and almost stood on its nose whilst the pilot gave us all a massive grin!
Posted by: Sussexmariner, September 5, 2022, 2:27pm; Reply: 15
As a kid I helped my Uncle deliver Milk to the RAF base and had a special pass to go on site, one of my drop offs was 2 pints of silver top to be left outside the biggest operating hanger doors in the UK at the time as my uncle always used to tell me..is it too late to contact Guinness book of world records?

Also I was on the base when a lightning had to do an emergency fly past the control tower within a few feet so they could visually see the undercarriage had engaged properly as there was an issue in the cockpit….not only did your body shake, the floor shook, the buildings shook, Binbrook village shook! An unbelievable experience
Posted by: chaos33, September 5, 2022, 3:07pm; Reply: 16
Many, many childhood days and nights at Binbrook’s crash gates. Long gone.

This, however, is relatively recent and very much evocative of those days:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T8BXYf4yteU
Posted by: Poojah, September 5, 2022, 3:33pm; Reply: 17
From watching football in the capital city of Ontario, Canada to videos of fighter planes in a mere 16 posts.

You’ve got to love the Fishy.
Posted by: chaos33, September 5, 2022, 4:14pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Abdul19
The town of Niagara reminded me of Funland in Cleethorpes.

I thought it was beautiful in the Christmas snow.
Posted by: lee65, September 5, 2022, 4:32pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Spent many a Saturday night at discos on the old RAF Binbrook, any chance you knew Anthony “Fatty” Simons who went to De Aston and grew up in Binbrook?

Anthony was also GK for Binbrook reserves  :)
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 5, 2022, 5:03pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from lee65

Anthony was also GK for Binbrook reserves  :)

Those were the days when small villages not only had a football team but reserve team as well. Anthony was a big town fan and a good fast bowler and down mostly to his fast bowling I remember De Aston won the first Lincolnshire Cricket shield beating Cleethorpes under 16’s in the final. Not seen him for over forty years I would guess now.
Print page generated: May 23, 2024, 10:08am