Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: barralad, August 27, 2022, 5:24pm
And still trying to get my head around the transformation. Absolutely dire first half and very lucky to only be one down. Couldn't get hold of the ball and keep it. Efete looked like he'd never met the team. Only Waterfall and Smith stood up to them.
Second half-once Hurst had worked his substitution magic there was only one way the game was going. Wearne gave us the attacking thrust not visible first half and Pepple gave them lots to think about. Weakness and Glennon started delivering quality balls and Clifton took full advantage. Time for a cameo from Orsi and some excellent sh1thousery from Crocombe enabled us to see out a strange 5 minutes plus of injury time for another mega result. Smith MOM by a distance.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 27, 2022, 5:37pm; Reply: 1
Can anyone efficient in I.t put a link to Sham 69..."hurry up harry"
Posted by: jimgtfc, August 27, 2022, 5:38pm; Reply: 2
Harry Clifton! What a way to stick a middle finger up to the idiots on here and on social media, well done lad!
Posted by: exiledmeggie, August 27, 2022, 5:43pm; Reply: 3
Here you go! Sham 69. Hurry up Harry.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Sham+69+YouTube&&view=detail&mid=E0F965A7608448ABC3F9E0F965A7608448ABC3F9&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DSham%2B69%2BYouTube%26FORM%3DVDMHRS
Posted by: BenBB, August 27, 2022, 5:45pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from moosey_club
Can anyone efficient in I.t put a link to Sham 69..."hurry up harry"

[youtube]kbcONYzM7jQ[/youtube]
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 27, 2022, 5:47pm; Reply: 5
Crocombe was commanding.

Smith/waterfall have a great connection. Almost telepathic

Efete/glennon we’re a different class second half

Holohan/Clifton/Morris did all the dirty work and worked tirelessly

Pepple/orsi/wearne substitutions just worked, and i feel that Taylor may not get as many starts in the coming months (although did his job well)

Green and Amos looked like they were in positions that they were unused to , it seemed at times, and efete first half was shocking.

And an absolute credit to the 800 or so town there. What a fu(king noise you made second half 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
Posted by: grimsbyjack, August 27, 2022, 5:52pm; Reply: 6
Fantastic result today. Up the Mighty Mariners👏👏
Posted by: Hagrid, August 27, 2022, 5:54pm; Reply: 7
Very impressed- again- with Pepple
Posted by: BenBB, August 27, 2022, 5:57pm; Reply: 8
Long journey home for you! Safe travels. UTM.
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 27, 2022, 5:59pm; Reply: 9
Strange day. We were woeful first half and never really looked like scoring until Pepple was brought on which finally gave their defenders something to think about. Thought Orsi looked lively when he came on too.

In my opinion the selection was overly negative today. I get the idea of stay in the game then have a go late on, but they really could have had a couple in the first 10 mins and missed a 1 on 1 second half. It's easy after the game to say it worked, but I think most teams would punish us more than Walsall did.

However, the last 20 minutes showed that we have the players to really threaten teams. Pepple is raw but a real handful and Orsi showed glimpses of what he's capable of - got a good feeling he's the goalscorer we all want. Wearne gave us more creativity too. I'm not advocating for going all out guns blazing, but surely we can start accomodating an extra attacking player in our starting line up, we can't keep having to come from behind.

MOM Crocombe. Usually, I'd be bricking it in added time when they were launching balls in, but Crocombe really inspires confidence and dealt with everything superbly.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, August 27, 2022, 6:01pm; Reply: 10
Back home, great 2nd half but only threatened to score once we went to 442. Good aternoon out well done Town.
Posted by: BenBB, August 27, 2022, 6:04pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Mariner93er

MOM Crocombe. Usually, I'd be bricking it in added time when they were launching balls in, but Crocombe really inspires confidence and dealt with everything superbly.

Was disappointing when Hursty started playing Crocombe instead of Macca last season at first but he's really come into his own. Good to see. Love his long kicks and general distribution and a decent shot stopper to boot.

Posted by: moosey_club, August 27, 2022, 6:11pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from exiledmeggie

Diamond xx
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, August 27, 2022, 6:11pm; Reply: 13
A nice quick 45min drive back to Stoke after a great result is nice.

First half was probably worse then the Sutton game. No pace, no movement and no energy. We looked like we were just going through the motions most of the time outside of Clifton, Smith and Crocombe. Conceded a very poor goal and then an almost identical second shortly after and Crocombe made a great save near the end of the half being the only real moments in the game.

Wearne made an imediate impact added a bit of pace going forward we were obviously needed, things improved as a whole. Our movement off the ball especially. Things really clicked when we went 442 when Pepple came on. Pepple made a great cross to the near post for Clifton's first to tap in, our second was more scrappy, anyone of about 4 should of scored before Clifton finished it off.

Great comeback win in the end. I just hope (it probably won't) it prompts Hurst to play a more attacking line up and look to drop one of the three DMCs because neither Green or Morris has looked good in the hole behind Taylor this season and I don't think we have someone who can play that McAtee roll in the squad at the moment.
Posted by: gtfc98, August 27, 2022, 6:20pm; Reply: 14
Really poor first half. Green looked knackered after 20 minutes and second to a lot of balls, thought Amos looked out of his depth and Glennon less effective than usual on the wing. Taylor completely isolated upfront, no pace in the team at all. After ten minutes I'm thinking we're getting a battering here. Clifton our most attacking threat, and by his own admission I'm sure he'd say he's not the most attacking player (despite the 2 goals today!)

Second half a completely different prospect, Wearne introduced a bit of pace and guile and linked up really well with Efete. Pepple then introduced some much needed pace up front, got close to Taylor and stretched the play. Glennon looked much improved at left back, linked up really well with Clifton down the left flank and we started to look a real threat. Great counter attack and ball in the box from Pepple and a lovely finish. Orsi looked sharp when he came on, nice composed ball out to Glennon(?) who then put a good ball into the box, bounced back to Orsi who perhaps should have scored himself but Clifton was clinical at the far post.

Other than his slip which led to a great save from Crocombe I thought Smith was outstanding, has a great understanding with Waterfall and the pair of them won everything in the air.

Morris quietly went about his business, kept the ball moving and Crocombe really is a step up from Macca as sad as I was to see him out of the team and then subsequently leave. Whenever the ball goes into the box I'm confident he's going to catch it, or at the very least get a solid punch on it and no flapping. His distribution is top notch too, looks like a really solid league 2 keeper.

On the balance of possession and the second half it's a deserved win and our early season form looks promising. 2 wins in 3 away games, unbeaten since the opening day against the team flying high at the top of the league. Let's see what this week brings with the closing of the window. UTM
Posted by: davmariner, August 27, 2022, 6:25pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Hagrid
Very impressed- again- with Pepple

Looks a handful doesn’t he? When he’s fully settled in I think we could well have an excellent player on ours hands.
Posted by: TonySmith, August 27, 2022, 6:25pm; Reply: 16
Great second half performance after Walsall were all over us in the first half. Both Pepple and Orsi made a big difference after the rest of the team had worked so hard for 70 minutes. Maybe Hurst has been studying Mohammad Ali's "Rope-a-Dope" strategy. Let the opposition punch themselves out and then take advantage. Seems risky to me, but it certainly looked like that today!
Posted by: RonMariner, August 27, 2022, 6:51pm; Reply: 17
Tremendous result against a team still 9th despite losing today. So with this and the other results recently we are mixing it with the best of them.

Very even contest in the first half, we competed hard but gave away possession too easily and had no real goal threat.

The shape was far better in the second half and I think we were by far the best side after the break, though still lacking some passing quality in the final third.

Thought Pebble's delivery for the first goal was excellent, and it was a super finish from Clifton.

Overall we deserved this victory and having won two away games on the trot it seems to me that we have the players to grind out results away from home.  Be interesting to get a longer look at Orsi, he certainly puts himself about. I don't think Holohan is that effective in the MacAtee role. I'd prefer us to play two up front in the home games at least.  

But what a brilliant day out!
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, August 27, 2022, 7:22pm; Reply: 18
The two left back thing didn’t work and the midfield 3 were all off the pace for some reason, not just Green. Glennon was too far away from Amos yet wasn’t delivering quality balls in, whereas in the second half he was good. Harry was the standout all game though along with Smith. At this level you cannot undervalue his outstanding energy levels.
Posted by: forza ivano, August 27, 2022, 8:05pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from gtfc98
Really poor first half. Green looked knackered after 20 minutes and second to a lot of balls, thought Amos looked out of his depth and Glennon less effective than usual on the wing. Taylor completely isolated upfront, no pace in the team at all. After ten minutes I'm thinking we're getting a battering here. Clifton our most attacking threat, and by his own admission I'm sure he'd say he's not the most attacking player (despite the 2 goals today!)

Second half a completely different prospect, Wearne introduced a bit of pace and guile and linked up really well with Efete. Pepple then introduced some much needed pace up front, got close to Taylor and stretched the play. Glennon looked much improved at left back, linked up really well with Clifton down the left flank and we started to look a real threat. Great counter attack and ball in the box from Pepple and a lovely finish. Orsi looked sharp when he came on, nice composed ball out to Glennon(?) who then put a good ball into the box, bounced back to Orsi who perhaps should have scored himself but Clifton was clinical at the far post.

Other than his slip which led to a great save from Crocombe I thought Smith was outstanding, has a great understanding with Waterfall and the pair of them won everything in the air.

Morris quietly went about his business, kept the ball moving and Crocombe really is a step up from Macca as sad as I was to see him out of the team and then subsequently leave. Whenever the ball goes into the box I'm confident he's going to catch it, or at the very least get a solid punch on it and no flapping. His distribution is top notch too, looks like a really solid league 2 keeper.

On the balance of possession and the second half it's a deserved win and our early season form looks promising. 2 wins in 3 away games, unbeaten since the opening day against the team flying high at the top of the league. Let's see what this week brings with the closing of the window. UTM

An excellent summing up. The only thing I'd slightly disagree with is that I didnt think smith was quite as imperious as usual. There were 1 or 2 slips of concentration and several poor passes. Would be interested to see pepple n orsi up front together. Also showed the importance of the Hurst mantra ' stay in the game'
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 27, 2022, 8:12pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
The two left back thing didn’t work and the midfield 3 were all off the pace for some reason, not just Green. Glennon was too far away from Amos yet wasn’t delivering quality balls in, whereas in the second half he was good. Harry was the standout all game though along with Smith. At this level you cannot undervalue his outstanding energy levels.

It’s interesting isn’t it in his first spell and for a period when Hurst came back he was accused of being turgid and unimaginative but he’s clearly trying some different things with the improved talent he has at his disposal but the important thing is he’s trusting his players which will be massive for their belief.
Posted by: forza ivano, August 27, 2022, 8:14pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from HertsGTFC

It’s interesting isn’t it in his first spell and for a period when Hurst came back he was accused of being turgid and unimaginative but he’s clearly trying some different things with the improved talent he has at his disposal but the important thing is he’s trusting his players which will be massive for their belief.

Agree. Be interesting to see who we select and how we play on tuesday
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, August 27, 2022, 8:18pm; Reply: 22
Think Tuesday is a joke.
Play first teamers who need game time plus youths who are promising
If we lose 4-0 who cares?
Posted by: HerveJosse, August 27, 2022, 8:48pm; Reply: 23
Why don’t we just play two up front from the start and skip the agony phase.?
Surely we are strong enough in midfield and defence now to do this.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, August 27, 2022, 8:49pm; Reply: 24
Don't you have to play so many first team players who featured in last game or some stupid rule like that..
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, August 27, 2022, 8:57pm; Reply: 25
Had an early look at the league table, we’ve conceded the same as only two other clubs who are right at the top, however we’ve only scored more than three others who are at the bottom. Almost Buckleyesque in our efficiency. Win our game in had and we’re in the playoffs
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, August 27, 2022, 9:28pm; Reply: 26
Based on the fixtures I predicted we’d be on 6 points after 6 games, out of the Cup in the first round and Waterfall banned for 2 years when the FA found out his skull is made of Kevlar.

We’re on 8 points, with a game in hand. Made a bit of money from the cup ‘run’ and I’m loving it.

Very proud of the club, players, management team, fans…and the Fishy. What a forum.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, August 27, 2022, 9:39pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from BenBB

Was disappointing when Hursty started playing Crocombe instead of Macca last season at first but he's really come into his own. Good to see. Love his long kicks and general distribution and a decent shot stopper to boot.

Crocombe commands the the box, if defenders know that their goalie is going to come and catch most of the crosses coming into the box makes defending a lot easier.  Unfortunately it was one aspect that Macca was not very good at, a good shot stopper, but their more to goalkeeping than just stoping shots.  
Crocombe is around better goalie than Macca.
Posted by: aldi_01, August 27, 2022, 9:48pm; Reply: 28
Crocombe is a revelation to be fair, he commands his box and removes some of that pressure towards the end of a game.

Didn’t see the match today but plenty of town fans at the wedding I was at and to be fair, we weren’t too disheartened at the 1-0 score line given how far the club has come. A polite ripple and ‘get in’ was heard when the second went it and it seems a Paul
hurst away masterclass ensued.

Yes, we probably need to start better but it’s a great thing to support s team that never gives in.
Posted by: monkeyboy, August 27, 2022, 9:58pm; Reply: 29
Town had an off day for me and still won.
Imagine what we will do when we play well all game.
Someone’s in for a battering.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 27, 2022, 10:08pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from aldi_01
Crocombe is a revelation to be fair, he commands his box and removes some of that pressure towards the end of a game.

Didn’t see the match today but plenty of town fans at the wedding I was at and to be fair, we weren’t too disheartened at the 1-0 score line given how far the club has come. A polite ripple and ‘get in’ was heard when the second went it and it seems a Paul
hurst away masterclass ensued.

Yes, we probably need to start better but it’s a great thing to support s team that never gives in.

Yes he's been excellent since he got into the team. Really steady and commanding, thought he was excellent today.  
Posted by: Lost in Lincoln, August 28, 2022, 12:05am; Reply: 31
Awful 1st  half, possibly worse than Rochdale!

Much, much improved  2nd half after the changes.

Town fans seemed really subdued 1st half, even before the  goal.

Really pleased for Harry after the criticism he's been getting this week!

Nothing more to add really.

Utm
Posted by: Mayaman, August 28, 2022, 2:27am; Reply: 32
Great result for the lads.  Harry never stopped running as per usual.  Delighted that he got his brace.  Crocombe was quality today.  picked up every cross and stood his ground for the one one one. pepple changes the game when he comes on.  I can't wait for him to score.

I was quite happy when the Walsall defender, Daniels went off.    He mopped up everything.  
Posted by: rancido, August 28, 2022, 8:31am; Reply: 33
I think PH deserves a lot of credit for today's result. He put out a team that he thought would match the opposition but after a while he realised that ,for whatever reasons, it wasn't working. Once he changed things around at half-time we performed much better. His ability to be able to correct on-pitch problems is crucial in getting a result.
Posted by: Mariner_09, August 28, 2022, 9:03am; Reply: 34
Quoted from Lost in Lincoln
Awful 1st  half, possibly worse than Rochdale!

Much, much improved  2nd half after the changes.

Town fans seemed really subdued 1st half, even before the  goal.

Really pleased for Harry after the criticism he's been getting this week!

Nothing more to add really.

Utm

Re the Town fans, it was as fractious and impatient as I have seen/heard Town fans in the post-Covid era. Very quickly some started getting very frustrated and downright unreasonable on occasion. Michee was coming in for unfair stick, people seemed to have a problem with him. For example, when Glennon shanked a ball clean out of play, it was applauded, when Michee did similar he was met with a rapture of shouting and histrionics, which I thought was unfair and strange.

After HT the mood improved though. Once we got going a bit we all got right behind the lads (we had the highest away attendance in L2 yesterday incidentally). I’m sure having 800 of us at the goal egging the players on gives them a lift, it did get noisy and hostile as we got closer to scoring.

Much has already been said so I’ll take a slightly different angle on the game. We haven’t won a game ‘normally’ for months. If we are serious about competing at the sharp end of this League, and we certainly should be, we’ve got to stop conceding first in games and starting so sloppily. We lacked intensity, ambition and calmness in the opening 15-20 mins, as we did at Rochdale and once again they could’ve been out of sight before we dragged ourselves back into it. It also emphasises that it’s not just us looking for a striker before the window closes on Thursday, everyone is struggling to finish teams off. The other thing is, if we’re persisting with this system of Taylor up front by himself and three central midfielders, we need one of the midfielders and the wide players to get closer to him and running beyond him. We dominated the ball yesterday without any real penetration. I think that is where you see the loss of McAtee most clearly.

I thought the subs generally made a positive impact yesterday. In his first tenure, the biggest criticism levelled at Hursty was his lack of in game management skills. He’s been getting it spot on for months now, look at JMD in the playoff final. Wearne, although he probably wasn’t fully fit, offered a much greater threat down that side. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with Bim, he’s much stronger and harder to knock off the ball than I thought he’d be. He can also stretch the game and run in behind in a way none of the other strikers can. His ball was spot on for Harry’s equaliser as well. Clearly there is much to learn but I think he’s doing well so far. I think Walsall basically got a lead and sat on it, and they didn’t know how to respond once we got back in the game, probably cos they were all knackered on a hot day against our lads who seemingly have super human fitness.

In this League, there are so many teams where there isn’t a right lot of difference between. Every single one of our League games could’ve gone a different way if there had been a very slight change in circumstances. As a result fine margins define games. Having a deep squad with different threats from the bench, strong fitness levels, belief and high quality set pieces will make all the difference in numerous games this season. The other thing that will make a difference is a bit of magic here and there. Not sure we have that in the absence of McAtee though.

I will truly believe things are different at this club if we now win at Rodney Parade, a ground we haven’t even scored at and got about 2 points at in 8 visits or something daft.
Posted by: lukeo, August 28, 2022, 10:07am; Reply: 35
I'll happily be losing for 85 minutes of every game if we somehow end up walking away with 3 points each week  ;D
Posted by: Garth, August 28, 2022, 10:21am; Reply: 36
Quoted from lukeo
I'll happily be losing for 85 minutes of every game if we somehow end up walking away with 3 points each week  ;D

Me too if we had gone into the transfer market and paid good money for our keeper and Harry we would be well satisfied now
Posted by: ginnywings, August 28, 2022, 10:33am; Reply: 37
Think it's more evidence that PH knows what he's about and fans generally don't. There was much gnashing of teeth about him replacing Macca, but it has proved to be the right call and has improved us as a team, which is the aim.

There is no room for sentiment and if we climb higher up the leagues, others will fall by the wayside, maybe even Crocombe himself one day.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 28, 2022, 10:43am; Reply: 38
Quoted from ginnywings
Think it's more evidence that PH knows what he's about and fans generally don't. There was much gnashing of teeth about him replacing Macca, but it has proved to be the right call and has improved us as a team, which is the aim.

There is no room for sentiment and if we climb higher up the leagues, others will fall by the wayside, maybe even Crocombe himself one day.

I'm no expect on goal keepers as it's a much more technical position than what I think the keepers get credit for but it just looks like Max makes decisions  where as much as he was great for us on and off the pitch Macca sometimes dithered. Max is clearly no short of self confidence.

I think PH deserves credit for wanting to continually improve the squad clearly he's got more trust and backing than in his first spell but the fact that he's now openly said we're chasing Hunt illustrates a great desire to build us towards better things..    
Posted by: aldi_01, August 28, 2022, 10:52am; Reply: 39
Quoted from rancido
I think PH deserves a lot of credit for today's result. He put out a team that he thought would match the opposition but after a while he realised that ,for whatever reasons, it wasn't working. Once he changed things around at half-time we performed much better. His ability to be able to correct on-pitch problems is crucial in getting a result.

And yet we still have people moaning about team selection and questioning his substitutions…it’s as if they can’t let themselves realise that Hurst is our second best manager in modern times…
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 28, 2022, 11:02am; Reply: 40
Quoted from aldi_01

And yet we still have people moaning about team selection and questioning his substitutions…it’s as if they can’t let themselves realise that Hurst is our second best manager in modern times

This may sound like sacrilege and I'm leaving myself open here for some dogs abuse but given time as lomg as the ownership stays stable Hurst could quite easily be our best in relative terms.

I often think if social media had been around to the level it is now in Buckley's spells I'm not convinced he'd have been universally popular.  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 28, 2022, 11:07am; Reply: 41
Quoted from HertsGTFC

This may sound like sacrilege and I'm leaving myself open here for some dogs abuse but given time as lomg as the ownership stays stable Hurst could quite easily be our best in relative terms.

I often think if social media had been around to the level it is now in Buckley's spells I'm not convinced he'd have been universally popular.  

It’s all relative, isn’t it? I remember AB as a great manager who’s teams in spells 1 and 2 constantly overperformed but fell foul of fans who wanted even more. PH is operating from a very low expectation level in comparison but there’s always a time when the bar gets raised.
Posted by: aldi_01, August 28, 2022, 11:37am; Reply: 42
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Hurst was called dour in his first spell, negative, predictable even, all things that can be levelled at Buckley.

For some, Buckley is almost mythical or they only vaguely remember the third spell, that leaves Hurst as the best manager in their lifetime.

For me Buckley is THE legend but I’d agree that in modern times Hurst is up there and should be. What the club and he achieve last year is nothing short of a miracle.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, August 28, 2022, 11:45am; Reply: 43
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It’s all relative, isn’t it? I remember AB as a great manager who’s teams in spells 1 and 2 constantly overperformed but fell foul of fans who wanted even more. PH is operating from a very low expectation level in comparison but there’s always a time when the bar gets raised.

Boring football apparently but the Board seemed to agree and blamed that for the low crowds so they sacked him.

Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, August 28, 2022, 12:03pm; Reply: 44

Boring football apparently but the Board seemed to agree and blamed that for the low crowds so they sacked him.

We were spoilt…..
Actually we were and it was bloody brilliant.
Hurst can’t compare to what AB did just yet, but he’s doing a cracking job of trying. He might even get there. I’m just enjoying the ride at the moment.
Posted by: DB, August 28, 2022, 12:39pm; Reply: 45
I think managers are good and relevant to their era. I remember George Kerr, Alan Buckley and now we have the Paul Hurst era. Given the stability, the club now has and the support of JS & AP, we may be our equivalent of Alex Ferguson.

As I have said before we are rising like a phoenix in new and different ways. May the club continue to prosper under Paul Hurst.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 28, 2022, 1:04pm; Reply: 46
I really liked Paul in his first spell. I think we are very lucky that we now have him with so much more experience. He's a quality operator, his changes affect the games and the players clearly want to play for him.

I think he's well settled here and long term he will end up managing at the highest level.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, August 28, 2022, 1:04pm; Reply: 47
Buckley got loads of criticism despite bringing huge success.  I think we had spent so long in the second tier under Dave Booth that when Buckley lifted us through two promotions it felt like he’d only got us back to where we belonged.  For fans who remembered us challenging near the top of the second tier, then being a mid table second tier side wasn’t enough.

Buckley and his teams were criticised for playing neat football without enough cutting edge.  But most of all I think the failing of Buckley and the Board was the lack of engagement with the local community and so attendances were really poor.  Imagine if we were in the Championship now and only getting 4-5000 at home games!
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, August 28, 2022, 1:26pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Buckley got loads of criticism despite bringing huge success.  I think we had spent so long in the second tier under Dave Booth that when Buckley lifted us through two promotions it felt like he’d only got us back to where we belonged.  For fans who remembered us challenging near the top of the second tier, then being a mid table second tier side wasn’t enough.

Buckley and his teams were criticised for playing neat football without enough cutting edge.  But most of all I think the failing of Buckley and the Board was the lack of engagement with the local community and so attendances were really poor.  Imagine if we were in the Championship now and only getting 4-5000 at home games!

That was more the Board than Buckley, a bunch of rank amateurs and the world was changing, people were expecting better facilities and Blundell Park was already very shabby. On top of that the area was declining rapidly, incomes were very low, and Gy and Clee completely missed out on the new Labour splurge that Hull got. Nothing AB could have done about that.
Posted by: goldenfish, August 28, 2022, 2:34pm; Reply: 49
When you speak to supporters of other clubs , especially in the our leagues …there are a surprising amount that would happily take hurts off our hands
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 28, 2022, 2:35pm; Reply: 50

That was more the Board than Buckley, a bunch of rank amateurs and the world was changing, people were expecting better facilities and Blundell Park was already very shabby. On top of that the area was declining rapidly, incomes were very low, and Gy and Clee completely missed out on the new Labour splurge that Hull got. Nothing AB could have done about that.

It’s a fair point in the time of Alec King, John Newman, George etc… the players where in the factories, schools and presentation evenings etc.that got the club some massive good will after getting relegated. That all seemed to stop as some of the industry started to shrink.
Posted by: Poojah, August 28, 2022, 3:23pm; Reply: 51
Yesterday was my first game of the season and therefore the first time I’ve had the pleasure of watching a League Two game in the flesh since that ominous day at Scunny in March 2020. From the off, it was obvious that this is a step up from the NL; the athleticism, pace, speed of thought of the players is noticeably greater. That’s something we need to afford our players, particularly those like the much-maligned Efete who haven’t played at this level before, some time to get to grips with.

We certainly started slowly and if you can deserve to be a goal down after 5 minutes then we did. However, despite the sub-par performance in the first half I thought we came into the game and had the better of possession despite not looking particularly threatening. We keep the ball well and look competitive in midfield, I think we’ll dominate teams more often than not in that respect (60% possession away at one of the division’s stronger sides is testament to that). Green looks every bit the enforcer, and whilst it’s clear he’ll concede his share of free kicks (often unfairly) I think we’ll get a lot of value out of him.

Second half was a massive improvement and in the end we looked good value for our win. It’s refreshing to see a Paul Hurst in the dugout capable of changing things and altering the complexion of the game; something I felt was one of his biggest weaknesses in his first spell. His growth as a manager and a man is absolutely remarkable.

I wasn’t sure what to expect from Pepple given mixed reviews so far but I thought he really added something. He put an excellent cross into the box for Clifton’s equaliser and was involved in the winner. I was quietly impressed.

For balance, you have to note that they spurned at least two good chances with the score at 1-0. Though one came about through a Smith slip they did get through us a little easily on occasion, which I’m sure will have been noted and reviewed. Better finishing could have seen a different outcome, as was the case at Rochdale.

Finally, Max Crocombe. Probably our lowest key signing of last summer and one I initially chalked off as just another Jonathan Hedge or Ben Killip. I thought he looked understandably nervy when he first got the nod over Macca last year but boy has he grown into that shirt and made it his own. He was faultless yesterday; commanding, assured in everything he did and you can sell the defence has complete confidence in him. There’s a save in the first half which is included in the highlights but just don’t do it justice. He got a big hand on the shot which looked destined for the roof of the net to tip it over the net, it was top drawer.

A tough game at Newport on Saturday, but we have 4 home league games in September, with only one opponent (Crewe) having achieved a higher PPG than us so far. It’s a really good opportunity to make a statement and set the tone for the season. Only 2 votes out of 100 on their forum predicted a Walsall defeat before yesterday’s game. Even accounting for fan bias, it’s clear we’re not yet taken seriously on account of our Fenty years captitulations. I think that could change rather quickly. The circus can now be found 30 miles down the A180. This is New Grimsby.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 28, 2022, 3:50pm; Reply: 52
I have read some people are unhappy with the policing. Might be worth looking at the footage of the game, I was watching on the telly and could see coppers on the fans side of the hoardings pushing people about. Looked a little uncalled for
Posted by: Mayaman, August 28, 2022, 3:58pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Mariner_09

Re the Town fans, it was as fractious and impatient as I have seen/heard Town fans in the post-Covid era. Very quickly some started getting very frustrated and downright unreasonable on occasion. Michee was coming in for unfair stick, people seemed to have a problem with him. For example, when Glennon shanked a ball clean out of play, it was applauded, when Michee did similar he was met with a rapture of shouting and histrionics, which I thought was unfair and strange

Berating the player won't do his confidence much good but TBF he was shocking.  Played a hospital ball to Smith who then conceded a dangerous free kick.  He improved in the second period but still not great.   Had loads of opps to go on the overlap but didn't take them.   We need to get behind him to get his confidence.   back.  

Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 28, 2022, 4:07pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Poojah
Yesterday was my first game of the season and therefore the first time I’ve had the pleasure of watching a League Two game in the flesh since that ominous day at Scunny in March 2020. From the off, it was obvious that this is a step up from the NL; the athleticism, pace, speed of thought of the players is noticeably greater. That’s something we need to afford our players, particularly those like the much-maligned Efete who haven’t played at this level before, some time to get to grips with.

We certainly started slowly and if you can deserve to be a goal down after 5 minutes then we did. However, despite the sub-par performance in the first half I thought we came into the game and had the better of possession despite not looking particularly threatening. We keep the ball well and look competitive in midfield, I think we’ll dominate teams more often than not in that respect (60% possession away at one of the division’s stronger sides is testament to that). Green looks every bit the enforcer, and whilst it’s clear he’ll concede his share of free kicks (often unfairly) I think we’ll get a lot of value out of him.

Second half was a massive improvement and in the end we looked good value for our win. It’s refreshing to see a Paul Hurst in the dugout capable of changing things and altering the complexion of the game; something I felt was one of his biggest weaknesses in his first spell. His growth as a manager and a man is absolutely remarkable.

I wasn’t sure what to expect from Pepple given mixed reviews so far but I thought he really added something. He put an excellent cross into the box for Clifton’s equaliser and was involved in the winner. I was quietly impressed.

For balance, you have to note that they spurned at least two good chances with the score at 1-0. Though one came about through a Smith slip they did get through us a little easily on occasion, which I’m sure will have been noted and reviewed. Better finishing could have seen a different outcome, as was the case at Rochdale.

Finally, Max Crocombe. Probably our lowest key signing of last summer and one I initially chalked off as just another Jonathan Hedge or Ben Killip. I thought he looked understandably nervy when he first got the nod over Macca last year but boy has he grown into that shirt and made it his own. He was faultless yesterday; commanding, assured in everything he did and you can sell the defence has complete confidence in him. There’s a save in the first half which is included in the highlights but just don’t do it justice. He got a big hand on the shot which looked destined for the roof of the net to tip it over the net, it was top drawer.

A tough game at Newport on Saturday, but we have 4 home league games in September, with only one opponent (Crewe) having achieved a higher PPG than us so far. It’s a really good opportunity to make a statement and set the tone for the season. Only 2 votes out of 100 on their forum predicted a Walsall defeat before yesterday’s game. Even accounting for fan bias, it’s clear we’re not yet taken seriously on account of our Fenty years captitulations. I think that could change rather quickly. The circus can now be found 30 miles down the A180. This is New Grimsby.

I was thinking this morning that we’ve had a decent start, if we’d have won the Carlisle game we’d possibly be in a play off position now, but that’s pure football supporter “ifs” ….. we all do it though.

I also think that this week is crucial if we can add Hunt or similar and the mythical striker then we could start to get noticed a bit more. Christmas could see McAtee back and we’ve also got Scannell, Maher and Khan.

If your a Town supporter at the moment you have the right to be massively optimistic about our future on and off the pitch.
Posted by: Mariner_09, August 28, 2022, 4:18pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Mayaman

Berating the player won't do his confidence much good but TBF he was shocking.  Played a hospital ball to Smith who then conceded a dangerous free kick.  He improved in the second period but still not great.   Had loads of opps to go on the overlap but didn't take them.   We need to get behind him to get his confidence.   back.  

He wasn’t at his best yesterday granted. He did improve in the second half and did take on their left back 2-3 times, and had the beating of him. He’s done well in the early stages of the season, wonder if because he doesn’t have Cropper’s monster throw, people feel he needs to be outstanding in every aspect. He’s put numerous good balls in, played some really nice quick passing moves around the box. I was merely commenting on the contrast between how he and Glennon were treated. A Michee at full tilt is a right handful
Posted by: ginnywings, August 28, 2022, 4:26pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Poojah

I think a part of this is down to having a better squad now than he had when here first time. Substitutions back then were pretty much like for like and often didn't have an impact, which is why I think at that time he had a reputation for not switching things up quickly enough. He probably felt that those he had to bring on weren't any better or different than what was already on the pitch.

Got us back into the league much quicker this time around than last time and I think that's because he had better backing than before and more options. I also think we have a better squad now than last time he had us in league 2. Not just on the pitch either, but off it as well, we have all the tools needed to make sure we are in top shape and prepared.

We are a different outfit with the new regime, which makes his job easier. He couldn't wait to get out of here in his last spell after not getting the backing he should have from he who shouldn't be mentioned.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, August 28, 2022, 4:26pm; Reply: 57
Watching the games this season was wondering if Efete is under instruction not to go on them forward runs so often..
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, August 28, 2022, 4:38pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Watching the games this season was wondering if Efete is under instruction not to go on them forward runs so often..

Or is it a confidence thing - after 5 years below EFL level he's looked more tentative about taking players on even though he is well capable of going past defenders? He's a good athlete and I think he still has potential to develop yet, he's got improve his decision making at this level though; in the final third with cover behind - have a go at taking the player on and getting into the box, but don't feck around with it in our back third or when we are exposed behind.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, August 28, 2022, 5:05pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Poojah

Great account; but did you get a pint or two in the Black Country Arms?

Posted by: ex-merseymariner, August 28, 2022, 5:18pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet

From a humberside interview with michee earlier this season, maybe before the orient game, the opposite is true, he's said the management want him to work o  that side of the game.

Posted by: Poojah, August 28, 2022, 11:12pm; Reply: 61

Great account; but did you get a pint or two in the Black Country Arms?

I didn’t, sadly. Made it as far as ‘spoons before the desire to get out of Walsall town centre became too strong. I’ll stop short of cheap shots because these are tough times economically, especially for provincial towns like Walsall and Grimsby, but wow, it’s a place that is really struggling right now. Brutally forlorn and impoverished and in dire need of serious investment. I hope it gets some as it saddens me when once thriving communities get neglected forgotten about like that.

The Bescot is a pretty grim place to watch football too, like Glanford Park shágged the City Ground with disappointing results, but away days are what you make of them and not withstanding the great win it was a cracking day out. Few beers with mates before the game, bumping into an old mate from school I haven’t seen in years along with his missus and two little girls (resplendent in their retro Town shirts) before a curry in Birmingham before catching the train back to Leeds more than a little worse for wear. Well, píssed enough not to remember the bóllocking I apparently got from the wife when I stumbled through the door. Win win.
Posted by: gtfc98, August 29, 2022, 4:59am; Reply: 62
Quoted from Poojah

I didn’t, sadly. Made it as far as ‘spoons before the desire to get out of Walsall town centre became too strong. I’ll stop short of cheap shots because these are tough times economically, especially for provincial towns like Walsall and Grimsby, but wow, it’s a place that is really struggling right now. Brutally forlorn and impoverished and in dire need of serious investment. I hope it gets some as it saddens me when once thriving communities get neglected forgotten about like that.

The Bescot is a pretty grim place to watch football too, like Glanford Park shágged the City Ground with disappointing results, but away days are what you make of them and not withstanding the great win it was a cracking day out. Few beers with mates before the game, bumping into an old mate from school I haven’t seen in years along with his missus and two little girls (resplendent in their retro Town shirts) before a curry in Birmingham before catching the train back to Leeds more than a little worse for wear. Well, píssed enough not to remember the bóllocking I apparently got from the wife when I stumbled through the door. Win win.

These are the days we live for.
Posted by: A Brace Of Tees, August 29, 2022, 5:17pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from HerveJosse
Why don’t we just play two up front from the start and skip the agony phase.?
Surely we are strong enough in midfield and defence now to do this.

We went through nearly the whole of last season NOT playing 4-4-2! And the reason for that is because it leaves us disadvantaged in midfield which is so important. Morris is playing in a defensive midfield role just in front of the back 4 and is proving invaluable at breaking up play and starting a move for us. Hollahan is (temporarily we hope) filling in McAtee's role of playing in the hole between Taylor and the midfield meaning that Hurst is trying to replicate the 4-4-1-1 system from last season.

If that was intelligent enough to get us promoted last year, why on earth would we suddenly change it?

Posted by: Madeleymariner, August 29, 2022, 8:37pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees

We went through nearly the whole of last season NOT playing 4-4-2! And the reason for that is because it leaves us disadvantaged in midfield which is so important. Morris is playing in a defensive midfield role just in front of the back 4 and is proving invaluable at breaking up play and starting a move for us. Hollahan is (temporarily we hope) filling in McAtee's role of playing in the hole between Taylor and the midfield meaning that Hurst is trying to replicate the 4-4-1-1 system from last season.

If that was intelligent enough to get us promoted last year, why on earth would we suddenly change it?

Because without McAtee we only seem to score goals when we go 442 after creating bagger all for the first 70 mins playing 4411 thats why.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, August 29, 2022, 9:05pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Because without McAtee we only seem to score goals when we go 442 after creating bagger all for the first 70 mins playing 4411 thats why.

Hardly any team in the entire Football League system currently starts a match set up as a traditional 4-4-2. As BoTees says, we would be outnumbered in midfield. It can work (Sean Dyche had success with Burnley playing two up front for several years but last I heard he was currently employee of the month at a sēx chat line company in Kettering) but it’s not pretty and you have to channel your inner John Beck.

If you’re chasing the game (eg. vs Walsall) you might take the risk.
Posted by: A Brace Of Tees, August 30, 2022, 1:44am; Reply: 66
Quoted from Madeleymariner

So the 4-0 win against Crewe with a very raw Pepple up top on his own doesn't count then?

Posted by: Madeleymariner, August 30, 2022, 7:40am; Reply: 67
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees

So the 4-0 win against Crewe with a very raw Pepple up top on his own doesn't count then?

Against Crewe reserves, they made 9 outfield changes against us.
Posted by: A Brace Of Tees, August 30, 2022, 9:02am; Reply: 68
I'm quite happy to take Hurst's judgement on this rather than yours - he's not done too bad with his decision making so far.
Posted by: aldi_01, August 30, 2022, 9:15am; Reply: 69
Ah yes, the typical English football fan response of ‘we, I, don’t think it’s very good so just go back to 442’…

It’s a dead formation and predictable, few teams play it for longer than say 5/10 minutes here and there.

It’s quite funny really because my view of both goals on Saturdays is intercourse all to do with system and all about desire and the ability to move the ball quicker. There’s an excellent book about systems and formations which has serious input from highly successful managers who talk about players knowing the role, belief in ability and working as a team, with formation being low down on actual priority.

You can play two up top without playing 442 anyway or would that confuse too many folk?

We know Hurst loves his shape but even he has progressed, as was seen last season and this season with the fluidity in the way we play and the constant changing to meet the needs of the team and break down opposition…

I’m more inclined to trust his judgement over a few whiny sods on here…and besides, se scored 5 at Wrexham, with seemingly only one up top and regardless of whether someone on here wants to think Crewe played a ‘reserve side’ you still have to score, and we did.

It’s getting tiring with folk stating the obvious really and besides, we’re a month gone without Mcatee and it’s hardly been excrement and a month closer to his return…
Posted by: gtfc_chris, August 30, 2022, 11:42am; Reply: 70
Quoted from Poojah

I've only been on here for 5 or 6 months(ish) and I've come to get a feel for who I align myself with in terms of opinions and ideas. I would not for one second have thought that the old mate I bumped into in the bar before the game was indeed Poojah, doesn't match the memory of the man!  ;D

This is where I learn that there was another family complete with retro Town shirts bumping into old school friends who also live in Leeds and I look considerably daft.
Posted by: lukeo, August 30, 2022, 11:43am; Reply: 71
I think once everyone is fit and available a 352/532 formation is decent if played correctly.
Posted by: Poojah, August 30, 2022, 12:00pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from gtfc_chris

I've only been on here for 5 or 6 months(ish) and I've come to get a feel for who I align myself with in terms of opinions and ideas. I would not for one second have thought that the old mate I bumped into in the bar before the game was indeed Poojah, doesn't match the memory of the man!  ;D

This is where I learn that there was another family complete with retro Town shirts bumping into old school friends who also live in Leeds and I look considerably daft.

Nah you’re alright, that was me, Chris. As jarring as it was to learn that the kind of schoolyard idiocy I may once have once engaged in, that I have tried long and hard to forget about myself, remains fresh in the memories of others, you can rest assured that I’ve grown up (a bit) in the time since we would knock about.

A husband, a father of two and a (semi) respectable businessman nowadays. I’m still more than capable of getting myself into silly and dangerous situations (Barnet away last season did not end well for me) but I’d like to think I’ve learned a few things over the years and grown a bit in the maturity stakes. That’s all you can do, right?

Gone are the childish pranks, replaced with love and respect for all humanity (except that lot down the A180, I think I’ll be laughing at them for some time to come!).

Great to see you though mate; really nice to see young families spending the day following Town like that (and the retro shirts were ACE!).  
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, August 30, 2022, 12:18pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Poojah

Nah you’re alright, that was me, Chris. As jarring as it was to learn that the kind of schoolyard idiocy I may once have once engaged in, that I have tried long and hard to forget about myself, remains fresh in the memories of others, you can rest assured that I’ve grown up (a bit) in the time since we would knock about.

A husband, a father of two and a (semi) respectable businessman nowadays. I’m still more than capable of getting myself into silly and dangerous situations (Barnet away last season did not end well for me) but I’d like to think I’ve learned a few things over the years and grown a bit in the maturity stakes. That’s all you can do, right?

Gone are the childish pranks, replaced with love and respect for all humanity (except that lot down the A180, I think I’ll be laughing at them for some time to come!).

Great to see you though mate; really nice to see young families spending the day following Town like that (and the retro shirts were ACE!).  

On the subject of retro shirts I can recommend the Toffs 1950's half button (the "Tommy Briggs"). I didn't like the previous 50s ones but the new ones are made to order and superb.

Print page generated: May 24, 2024, 3:00am