Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: CodAlmighty, August 12, 2022, 8:02pm
A Rochdale supporter has been in touch and asked us to post this:

"Just in case it isn't clear what is going on tomorrow - one of Rochdale's best known supporters  (probably THE best-known), Stephen Murray (aka: Moggy) has died at the age of 68. There will be a minute's applause in his memory during the 68th minute of tomorrow's game.

Moggy followed Dale all his life and was the most vocal. He started up the songs and chants in the Sandy Lane End etc. In truth, he was a bit of a lad when younger but spent the last 25 years or so raising money for numerous charities. He was a window cleaner and did monster sponsored walks carrying his ladders, often on his own or with a mate.

He was an absolute character. I know this is often said of people but he really was - almost everyone in Rochdale knew him and the outpourings of grief this week have been really moving.

There will be the odd banner on show (and his famous ladders) and songs will be sung about him."

Moggy it seems was just like many of us: a passionate supporter of his home town club. I'll certainly be joining in the applause tomorrow
Posted by: samg, August 12, 2022, 9:13pm; Reply: 1
I'll certainly be applauding, true fans in the lower leagues is what football as it should be is all about. I would imagine Stephen Murray will be watching down on all Rochdale supporter's and hopefully we can make him proud as GTFC supporter's with the minutes applause to show our true footballing respect!
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 12, 2022, 9:41pm; Reply: 2

No one will hear it but a minutes applause from me from my lounge tomorrow whilst listening to the game, proper fan.
Posted by: barralad, August 12, 2022, 9:45pm; Reply: 3
Grimsby won't let you down mate. We know what to do.
Posted by: Wiley2405, August 12, 2022, 9:54pm; Reply: 4
Don’t worry about us, I’m sure every town fan will applaud during that minute.
Posted by: Wiley2405, August 12, 2022, 9:54pm; Reply: 5
Don’t worry about us, I’m sure every town fan will applaud during that minute.
Posted by: chaos33, August 12, 2022, 10:09pm; Reply: 6
Let’s make sure we join with our ‘Dale brothers and sisters and commemorate this man. I’m sure there’ll be a full standing ovation from a packed away end.
Posted by: barralad, August 13, 2022, 5:38pm; Reply: 7
Well done to the Town fans. Loud and proud. R.I.P. fellow football fan.
Posted by: wuffing, August 13, 2022, 6:00pm; Reply: 8
We were superb...
Posted by: ponnyfan, August 14, 2022, 2:50am; Reply: 9
RIP Moggy 👏
Posted by: Lost in Lincoln, August 14, 2022, 9:02am; Reply: 10
RIP to a true football fan and was awesome to see that the Town fans to a man, respected and joined in with the applause.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, August 14, 2022, 1:01pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Lost in Lincoln
RIP to a true football fan and was awesome to see that the Town fans to a man, respected and joined in with the applause.

Yep - and we’ll done to whoever started the perfectly timed “stand up for the Mariners” chant to start the minutes applause

Posted by: thevera, August 14, 2022, 1:50pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Yep - and we’ll done to whoever started the perfectly timed “stand up for the Mariners” chant to start the minutes applause

From what I heard it was started just before the applause but as soon as it was realised the clapping  had started it stopped immediately.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, August 14, 2022, 1:56pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from thevera

From what I heard it was started just before the applause but as soon as it was realised the clapping  had started it stopped immediately.

Ah perhaps - remarkable coincidence on timing then - I assumed it was timed to get us all on our feet for the minutes applause. Whatever, it worked perfectly…

Posted by: Epworth Mariner, August 14, 2022, 2:47pm; Reply: 14
Just seen a town fan has even donated towards the guys funeral ….

What a wonderful gesture.
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 8:50am