Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 14, 2022, 7:27am

Article not yet up on GrimsbyLive but back page of the Telegraph today Jason Stockwood says promotion was probably worth around £1M.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, July 14, 2022, 7:36am; Reply: 1
He said that on the Humberside interview on Saturday what a disgrace the paper as become it’s always 5 days behind the fishy. Years ago they where the front runners on breaking news now have to rely on radio reports and the fishy to source their information
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 14, 2022, 7:38am; Reply: 2
Quoted from crusty ole pie
He said that on the Humberside interview on Saturday what a disgrace the paper as become it’s always 5 days behind the fishy. Years ago they where the front runners on breaking news now have to rely on radio reports and the fishy to source their information

Still good news though.

Did anyone post it?

Will delete if they did.

Posted by: Macca_D, July 14, 2022, 7:55am; Reply: 3
Yeah but 1m these days is equivalent to a 5 pound note! All good of course I wonder how much promotion is worth to league 1. A lot less than that.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, July 14, 2022, 7:57am; Reply: 4
Actually it’s technically worth more than that.

If we had stayed down we would have got a final parachute payment of around £225,000 followed by nothing.

By winning promotion we get the full EFL TV money (£450,000), the PL solidarity payment of around £625,000 and even if were relegated immediately we’d then get 2 parachute payments of £450,000 and £225,000.

And that’s before you consider increased attendances etc…
Posted by: aldi_01, July 14, 2022, 8:00am; Reply: 5
Quoted from GollyGTFC

If we had stayed down we would have got a final parachute payment of around £225,000 followed by nothing.

By winning promotion we get the full EFL TV money (£450,000), the PL solidarity payment of around £625,000 and even if were relegated immediately we’d then get 2 parachute payments of £450,000 and £225,000.

So you mean that instead of worrying about turning a measly profit for zero benefit, a little speculation, some time and investment, a few gambles here and there and so forth we’ve actually benefitted greatly…
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, July 14, 2022, 8:04am; Reply: 6
Quoted from GollyGTFC

This point is where the local rag falls down - rather than pose a follow up question, or go into any more detail, it simply recites what it has heard on the radio, which a decent chunk of town fans have already heard thanks to bbc sounds, twitter and er... their radios!

(Awaits golly being quoted there later this week)

Posted by: wuffing, July 14, 2022, 8:09am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Macca_D
Yeah but 1m these days is equivalent to a 5 pound note! All good of course I wonder how much promotion is worth to league 1. A lot less than that.

Have you got a fiver you can lend me?
Posted by: Rick12, July 14, 2022, 8:14am; Reply: 8
Quoted from Macca_D
Yeah but 1m these days is equivalent to a 5 pound note! t.
Yes and when you see this in today's gossip column on the BBC adds further testimony to that:

Manchester United's Portugal forward Cristiano Ronaldo, 37, has received an offer of 300m euros (£254m) to play for two seasons for a club in Saudi Arabia. (TVI and CNN Portuguesa via AS - in Spanish)

Posted by: Limerick Mariner, July 14, 2022, 10:12am; Reply: 9
The point JS made alongside this is more important - we are not having to compete with Wrexham and I guess to a lesser extent Chesterfield and Notts. When there is only 1 automatic and 1 play-off promotion the budget differences are more significant than when there are 4 promotion places.
Posted by: mimma, July 14, 2022, 11:04am; Reply: 10
Don't we also get money for our youth set up, which we didn't get from the National league?
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, July 14, 2022, 3:36pm; Reply: 11
It'd be interesting to see when these payments are made. If they are pre-season then fill ya boots. Mid season, fill ya boots in January or end of the season, fill ya boots for next season.

Also goes for the season ticket sales. Obviously all takings aren't available straight away as some people split the costs over a few instalments.

But at some point we may have a couple of quid to spend here and there.
Posted by: DB, July 14, 2022, 6:17pm; Reply: 12
It'd be interesting to see when these payments are made. If they are pre-season then fill ya boots. Mid season, fill ya boots in January or end of the season, fill ya boots for next season.

Also goes for the season ticket sales. Obviously all takings aren't available straight away as some people split the costs over a few instalments.

But at some point we may have a couple of quid to spend here and there.

Only a couple of quid, I hope there is more than that. Fenty's not in charge now! ;)

Posted by: BenBB, July 14, 2022, 6:24pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Think Jason mentioned we'd also be losing the EFL funding for the youth development academy if we weren't promoted this year. They were committed to the cause if the worst happened but it's money we don't have to spend now.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 14, 2022, 6:50pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from DB

Only a couple of quid, I hope there is more than that. Fenty's not in charge now! ;)

How long before the albatross is released?
Posted by: DB, July 15, 2022, 4:40am; Reply: 15
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

How long before the albatross is released?

I keep asking similar questions, does anybody have an answer?

Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, July 15, 2022, 5:47am; Reply: 16
Quoted from DB

I keep asking similar questions, does anybody have an answer?

It's probably worth you sending that as a question for the next DN35 interview if you really want an answer,  the owners seem to answer everything that get asked through that avenue.

I've seen various calculations on here about incoming transfer fees that seem to suggest that most if not all of what was owed might  have already been paid up. I suppose that's likely dependent on what sell on fee we ended up getting for Dembele.

Which links onto another  question did we gain anything additional from the add ons the Posh recieved from the promotion clauses as part of the player sale?
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, July 15, 2022, 6:18am; Reply: 17
Rather than "new money" isn't this just money we would have lost if we didnt get promoted?
Posted by: aldi_01, July 15, 2022, 6:24am; Reply: 18
It’s nice to know that we’ve probably paid the vulture off but he’s still not honest enough to pay a tax bill…

No doubt the monetary value to promotion is worth a lot to us but I’d argue the gaining of ‘new’ fans, the buzz, the interest and the excitement is also key…
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 15, 2022, 7:34am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
Rather than "new money" isn't this just money we would have lost if we didnt get promoted?

Or money that we still would’ve had if we hadn’t got relegated 🤷🏻‍♂️
Posted by: jaygy, July 15, 2022, 7:49am; Reply: 20
It's OK saying promotion is worth 1M but surely most of that is swallowed up just to be competitive in league 2?
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, July 15, 2022, 8:41am; Reply: 21
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Or money that we still would’ve had if we hadn’t got relegated 🤷🏻‍♂️

True. I was just asking the question because of earlier comments, which read along the lines of  "we can fill our boots" because we've got an extra 1M to spend" which I don't think is the case.
Posted by: FPVmariner, July 15, 2022, 9:07am; Reply: 22
Didn’t Jason say in the last interview that he expected the club to lose ‘in the hundreds of thousands’ this season?  Monies being spent in the background to improve training facilities, the pitch, fan experience will be significant.  Couple that to the higher cost of strengthening the non-playing staff and general additional costs of playing in league 2 et al would I imagine, eliminate a very high percentage of higher revenues.

However, fixing the roof when the suns shining is a sound policy.
Posted by: ska face, July 15, 2022, 9:12am; Reply: 23

True. I was just asking the question because of earlier comments, which read along the lines of  "we can fill our boots" because we've got an extra 1M to spend" which I don't think is the case.

But if the board are already committed to losing, say, £600k and are fine with that, then promotion gives us the opportunity to spend an additional million quid or so without increasing the projected losses.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 15, 2022, 9:25am; Reply: 24
There is a huge difference in losing a significant amount of money on wages and transfer fees chasing the dream and losing a significant amount due to capital investment.

Kieran Maguire only touched briefly on Town but was complimentary about it. Interestingly, he hasn't mentioned that our accounting year has changed. This is something that a lot of "wrong-uns" have been doing and he's usually quite critical of it. To be clear, I think our change makes sense as that extra month covers off the previous seasons contracts.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, July 15, 2022, 12:59pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from ska face

But if the board are already committed to losing, say, £600k and are fine with that, then promotion gives us the opportunity to spend an additional million quid or so without increasing the projected losses.

Depends at what point they were commited to making such a loss i.e. before knowing if we would be promoted or not. Last year we had most of this money anyway via the parachute payments, it was only this coming season, if we'd stayed in the NL, that we would have lost it.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 15, 2022, 1:39pm; Reply: 26
AIn Div 2 we can also attract better players - which has numerous benefits going forward. Including bigger crowds and further increased income.  

In NL you aspire to be in the EFL.  From Div 2 we can aim for Div 1.  A further progressive step that can bring financial rewards and bigger crowds.  A
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 15, 2022, 1:56pm; Reply: 27

Depends at what point they were commited to making such a loss i.e. before knowing if we would be promoted or not. Last year we had most of this money anyway via the parachute payments, it was only this coming season, if we'd stayed in the NL, that we would have lost it.

Wrong....

100% of the equivalent Basic Award payment made to League 2 clubs in the first year following relegation.

50% of the equivalent Basic Award payment made to League 2 clubs in the second year following relegation (unless a club achieves promotion back to The Football League at the first attempt).
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, July 15, 2022, 5:22pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from promotion plaice

Wrong....

100% of the equivalent Basic Award payment made to League 2 clubs in the first year following relegation.

50% of the equivalent Basic Award payment made to League 2 clubs in the second year following relegation (unless a club achieves promotion back to The Football League at the first attempt).

Yes, I knew that. The point I’ve been trying to make is that if we got 1M last year, and we get 1M this year then we haven’t suddenly gained 1M extra. I just couldn’t be arsed to type out exact values for the second year.

Posted by: Wiley2405, July 15, 2022, 6:22pm; Reply: 29
Where can I watch the interview?
Posted by: ginnywings, July 15, 2022, 6:26pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Wiley2405
Where can I watch the interview?

There's a link or two in this thread.

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1657442495/s-0/
Print page generated: May 23, 2024, 12:42am