Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Non Football  /  
Posted by: Brazilnut, July 7, 2022, 7:42am
Last night driving home from work  my car hit 1/4 million miles on the clock ........just wondered if any others on here had cars of similar mileage
Posted by: chaos33, July 7, 2022, 9:33am; Reply: 1
No.
What car have you got?
Posted by: Brazilnut, July 7, 2022, 10:17am; Reply: 2
volvo s40
Posted by: Maringer, July 7, 2022, 10:38am; Reply: 3
My car has only just ticked over 10,000 miles and I bought it in October 2019!

Just a couple of holidays and other away days since then due to the pandemic and illness in my family, no commute to speak of and it's pretty ridiculous just how little I've travelled since then.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, July 7, 2022, 10:41am; Reply: 4
I drive a VW Golf to Lincoln (work) from Louth, I’ve had my car from nearly new, I’ve got 127,500”ish” on my clock, the car has never let me down.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 7, 2022, 11:01am; Reply: 5

It's amazing how little oil car engines use these days, I was always having to top up my cars engine oil in the eighties.
Posted by: chaos33, July 7, 2022, 1:21pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Brazilnut
volvo s40

Diesel or petrol? Must be a well built and serviced vehicle.
Posted by: Brazilnut, July 7, 2022, 1:24pm; Reply: 7
Diesel .....and honestly I know nothing about cars ......they have a flappy thing at the front and a flappy thing at the back ......you lift the back one up to put your shopping  away .....if you lift front one  it is noisy so I dont do that
Posted by: gytone, July 7, 2022, 1:32pm; Reply: 8
I had a Toyota Hiace diesel van once that I got to 325k miles, after I sold it it must've done another 100k, had it serviced regularly and hardly any issues with it, it was absolutely bullet proof.
Sadly the new Toyota vans are nowhere near as good and if you get 150k out of them without any major issues you do really well.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, July 7, 2022, 1:34pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Brazilnut
Last night driving home from work  my car hit 1/4 million miles on the clock ........just wondered if any others on here had cars of similar mileage

Been up to the 150K mark on a couple of occasions but 250K is some going.... but then again for a Volvo it's probably nothing much at all  ;)
Posted by: Maringer, July 7, 2022, 2:03pm; Reply: 10
When the batteries get up to pace (or are easily replaceable), electric cars will be clocking up the miles and getting well past 250K. Very little wear in tear in electric motors and the lack of moving parts in comparison to ICEs should mean very high mileage is possible. Hybrids, of course, have two motors which can fail plus all the moving parts so you're probably less likely to get a high mileage in one of those in comparison to a well-kept ICE car.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 7, 2022, 4:53pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Maringer
When the batteries get up to pace (or are easily replaceable), electric cars will be clocking up the miles and getting well past 250K. Very little wear in tear in electric motors and the lack of moving parts in comparison to ICEs should mean very high mileage is possible. Hybrids, of course, have two motors which can fail plus all the moving parts so you're probably less likely to get a high mileage in one of those in comparison to a well-kept ICE car.

My first gen, 2010 Toyota auris hybrid did 60mpg, did 196k, never had a service and literally only had brakes and tyres. Not so much as an oil change…drove like a dream and it’s still going, seen it around town.

When I can afford and justify the shift to full electric, still on full hybrid but love it.

Ironically, I did as many, if not more during covid due to delivering food to families and checking in with family and friends. Although my new school is significantly nearer to my house so hopefully my mpg increases and my driving time will obviously decrease.
Posted by: blundellpork, July 7, 2022, 10:53pm; Reply: 12
Taken a VW Polo and Ford Focus to 125,000, but circumstances dictated a change in car each time. Had I have kept them, I’m confident both could have got to 250,000. Diesel engines just crunch the miles.
Posted by: LH, July 7, 2022, 11:58pm; Reply: 13
135,000 Audi A3, 130,000 Vauxhall Insignia. Both economic write offs despite full service. I always buy around the 20-30k mark and run them into the ground over 4-5 years. The next victim is a Mazda 3 which I’ve had for two years.
Posted by: FPVmariner, July 9, 2022, 6:32pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Brazilnut

Not quite at your level but mines just reached 198,00, also a Volvo, XC60.  Still on the original clutch and aside from one bill of just over a grand I’ve been lucky enough to have only spent on tyres and service.  To be fair most of the miles have been on the motorway, in true Volvo driver style, I.e sit in the middle lane at 65mph.  This is my first Volvo, wasn’t old enough to have one previously  ;D
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 9, 2022, 9:30pm; Reply: 15
Furthest I've got a car is the 150k mark, I currently have an Insignia sitting at 127k with full service history. Before that I had a 207 diesel which would have gone on for eternity but for an idiot hitting me head on.

Curious about electric but the maths don't work out at the moment. If petrol and diesel prices keep going up and electricity costs come back down, it becomes a serious consideration.
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 8:42pm