Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: BPMariner, June 22, 2022, 7:54pm
Is 1.8m for next season. Is that competitive do we think? From doing a bit of research it seems that it is a top 10 budget in League two.
Posted by: Martz86, June 22, 2022, 8:03pm; Reply: 1
Isn't there a 1million cap for League 2 clubs or is it more of an "advisory" figure clubs need to aim for?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, June 22, 2022, 8:05pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Martz86
Isn't there a 1million cap for League 2 clubs or is it more of an "advisory" figure clubs need to aim for?

Surely not? I thought any cap had been challenged through the courts?

In any event a salary cap will always be circumvented.
Posted by: ska face, June 22, 2022, 8:10pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from BPMariner
Is 1.8m for next season. Is that competitive do we think? From doing a bit of research it seems that it is a top 10 budget in League two.

Christ knows. Plenty of others seem to be absolutely throwing cash at it. Bradford do it every season but their árseholes always seem to fall out. Northampton obviously going shít or bust (again) too. Stockport should do well, backed as they are by a bottomless pit of student rent money. Think it’s important not to look at the season as a financial exercise, like there’s a tendency to do on here. Chesterfield showed what can happen with a big budget and some bad luck.
Posted by: Martz86, June 22, 2022, 8:10pm; Reply: 4

Surely not? I thought any cap had been challenged through the courts?

In any event a salary cap will always be circumvented.

No idea, just read it somewhere, but judging by what other clubs at this level are shelling out, it's most likely a load of crap and clubs spend as they please.
Posted by: forza ivano, June 22, 2022, 8:25pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from BPMariner

Where did you get the £1.8 million figure from?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 22, 2022, 8:26pm; Reply: 6
Bradford have just announced Richie Smallwood, former captain of and released by the Tahgers. Won’t have come cheap.
Posted by: gtfc98, June 22, 2022, 8:27pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from forza ivano

Where did you get the £1.8 million figure from?

Thin air!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 22, 2022, 8:28pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from BPMariner

I missed that, where was that published?
Posted by: aldi_01, June 22, 2022, 8:30pm; Reply: 9
Gauging where we should be against budgets isn’t really any use. There were a handful of teams that spunked a lot more cash than us last year and we dominated one of them on the way to dominating the other.

What you pay players generally makes the difference and the culture of your club, not how much they cost to bring in.

Bradford go excrement or busy every year and always go bust about March time. I’m predicting the same this year.

Remember when everyone cryarsed on here because chesterfield pipped us and paid over the odds for Tashiminga? That worked out well…
Posted by: ginnywings, June 22, 2022, 8:32pm; Reply: 10
1.8 million sounds a lot compared to previous seasons, if indeed that is the amount.

Thing is, we know budgets aren't the be all and end all and in fact can add undue pressure to expectations. It can also make managers lazy, knowing they can sign the best players for the level they are operating at, without much due diligence.

PH seems to spend the clubs money like it is his own and usually gets good value for money from most of his signings.

I trust PH to wring every ounce of value out of whatever budget he is given and produce a side that can compete. He seems to have the most healthy budget he has ever had at this club and has also finally got a clean slate, with all the players he didn't want now out of the club and he can spend his budget on the players he wants and not any inherited from previous regimes.

We are back in the league with a fresh start and most links to the past gone.

I'm optimistic.
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 22, 2022, 8:37pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from BPMariner

Well, 5000 season tickets at an average price of around £300 does’t even cover that, so I’m unsure where the money is coming from. Of course, away fans at BP, sponsorship money, the TV deal. Still seems a lot compared to ST income alone.

Mind you, someone said the other day that the average wage of a L2 player was around £2K per week - a squad with 20 of those in it would cost £2m….
Posted by: BraStrap, June 22, 2022, 8:38pm; Reply: 12
5000 season tickets should bring in around 1.5 million, then there is commercial income, tv money from the EFL.

1.8 million sounds like the right ballpark

Other clubs with new grounds have more revenue streams than us
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, June 22, 2022, 8:39pm; Reply: 13
Bradford will have a much bigger budget than us this season. They'll also have a much larger average attendance and a fanbase that will turn on them the minute they don't look like winning the title. I'm sure we'll be competitive like we were last season.
Posted by: forza ivano, June 22, 2022, 8:45pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Heisenberg

Well, 5000 season tickets at an average price of around £300 does’t even cover that, so I’m unsure where the money is coming from. Of course, away fans at BP, sponsorship money, the TV deal. Still seems a lot compared to ST income alone.

Mind you, someone said the other day that the average wage of a L2 player was around £2K per week - a squad with 20 of those in it would cost £2m….

Think Golly said promotion was worth £875,000 due to EFL n tv payments. Myenergi will certainly be putting more money into the coffers than Youngs did
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 22, 2022, 8:45pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from BraStrap
5000 season tickets should bring in around 1.5 million, then there is commercial income, tv money from the EFL.

1.8 million sounds like the right ballpark

Other clubs with new grounds have more revenue streams than us

5000 season tickets will not be sold at £300 each, many STs are sold at concessionary rates. Children, over 65, over 70, 18-22, Ancient Mariners etc.
Posted by: HerveJosse, June 22, 2022, 8:52pm; Reply: 16
Our total wage bill in the last published accounts which cover our last year in League 2 was £2.7m.
That includes back room staff but a first team player budget of £1.8m doesn’t sound like much of an upgrade on that. What’s the source.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, June 22, 2022, 8:52pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from aldi_01
Gauging where we should be against budgets isn’t really any use. There were a handful of teams that spunked a lot more cash than us last year and we dominated one of them on the way to dominating the other.

What you pay players generally makes the difference and the culture of your club, not how much they cost to bring in.

Bradford go excrement or busy every year and always go bust about March time. I’m predicting the same this year.

Remember when everyone cryarsed on here because chesterfield pipped us and paid over the odds for Tashiminga? That worked out well…

To be fair to Chesterfield, they were absolutely flying when he was fit. Him getting injured and out for the season absolutely killed them
Posted by: Poojah, June 22, 2022, 8:54pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from MuddyWaters

5000 season tickets will not be sold at £300 each, many STs are sold at concessionary rates. Children, over 65, over 70, 18-22, Ancient Mariners etc.

£300 won’t be too far off the average. By far the largest cohort amongst season ticket holders will be full paying adults aged between 23 and 65, where tickets are priced at £375 in the upper and £340 everywhere else.

If we sold 3,500 full adult tickets at an average of £360 and 1,500 at an average of £150, that gives you an overall average of £297, so I reckon £300 is there or thereabouts.
Posted by: HerveJosse, June 22, 2022, 8:58pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Poojah

£300 won’t be too far off the average. By far the largest cohort amongst season ticket holders will be full paying adults aged between 23 and 65, where tickets are priced at £375 in the upper and £340 everywhere else.

If we sold 3,500 full adult tickets at an average of £360 and 1,500 at an average of £150, that gives you an overall average of £297, so I reckon £300 is there or thereabouts.

Less 20% for Mr Vat
Posted by: Poojah, June 22, 2022, 9:01pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from HerveJosse

Less 20% for Mr Vat

Indeed, but they’ll still be “sold at [approximately] £300”, which was my point.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, June 22, 2022, 9:06pm; Reply: 21
Hurst’s Budget?

Tell you what, I wish Hursty was Chancellor. That little red briefcase would keep us spending tight whilst promoting growth.

Move Waterfall to Head of Defence.

Martin Deans - Levelling Up

Fenty - Minister Without Portfolio
Posted by: MarinerDevil, June 22, 2022, 9:09pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from HerveJosse
Our total wage bill in the last published accounts which cover our last year in League 2 was £2.7m.
That includes back room staff but a first team player budget of £1.8m doesn’t sound like much of an upgrade on that. What’s the source.

Yeah, you'd think the wages of players and playing staff would be the vast majority of that so £1.8m sounds quite low.  Our turnover for that 18/19 season was £3.5m.  You'd imagine we'll take more money this season.  I saw some Northampton fans on the League 2 forum quote their wage bill at around £4m (EDIT: that's total wage bill, but indicates their playing budget will be much higher than £1.8m).  
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 22, 2022, 9:11pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yes I agree. More likely, with all the concessionary rates available, I would say an average of about £220 per ST.

But even then, with 4000 already sold that's nearly £900,000 in the coffers alongside any money from a variety of sponsors, and then if the owners chip in, then yes it could quite easily touch £1.8m, possibly more.
Posted by: aldi_01, June 22, 2022, 9:58pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

To be fair to Chesterfield, they were absolutely flying when he was fit. Him getting injured and out for the season absolutely killed them

Their manager being a pervert didn’t help and Cook and his one dimensional style also helped…
Posted by: DB, June 23, 2022, 5:18am; Reply: 25
It's not how much the budget is that counts, but the way you spend it; ask any Wrexham fan. In PH I trust to spend it wisely.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 23, 2022, 8:21am; Reply: 26
Wouldn't worry about budget too much.

Wrexham spent considerably more than everyone (Except Stockport) and it didn't work
Salford have spent millions each season, and still in League 2

Accrington Stanley have always had a very very low budget, and holding their own in League 1 and about to start their 5th consecutive season.
Posted by: toontown, June 23, 2022, 9:17am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Wouldn't worry about budget too much.

Wrexham spent considerably more than everyone (Except Stockport) and it didn't work
Salford have spent millions each season, and still in League 2

Accrington Stanley have always had a very very low budget, and holding their own in League 1 and about to start their 5th consecutive season.

Yeah but those are the exceptions and to be honest Wrexham didn't really underperform in terms of league position much, they were 2nd  behind Stockport who spent about the same. Obviously in one playoff games anything can happen just like a cup shock. You are highlighting Accrington as being in league 1,why aren't they in the championship? The reason you're highlighting them is because they are defying their budget to even be in league 1 for 5 seasons. They are the exception  that proves the rule. Normally such a club wouldn't be, so they are noteworthy by exception.

Overall, budget is the most important factor in terms of likely football success. That's why the same teams are almost always up and around the top of the premiership every year.

When independent analysis has looked at this issue it also comes to the conclusion that budget it the most important factor, but it's not a guarantee. It undoubtedly gives you an advantage however.

Hopefully next season, with increased fan and commercial support, we will have our best budget for at least a decade, probably more.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 23, 2022, 12:41pm; Reply: 28
The Prem is different though in that there are several teams with a massive budget and they can't all win it and can't be promoted out of it, so it comes down to budget and good management.

At our level, there are more promotion spots available and a good manager with a decent budget can compete with other teams that have better budgets.

You don't have to win the league, or even an automatic promotion spot to move up a division, as we know. Get close enough and outsmart/outwork the opposition in the vital games is good enough.
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 10:48am