Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Grimsby2012, June 18, 2022, 4:41am
Been told by a friend close to Solihull that we have serious interest in sbarra.

Decision likely next week

I for one would be ecstatic to get him.
Posted by: Bignic69, June 18, 2022, 6:07am; Reply: 1
I’d be over the moon with this, unfortunately I can’t see him joining us.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, June 18, 2022, 7:31am; Reply: 2
Think he will have a lot of interest in him. Will we be the ones to cough up a big offer for him? I can’t see it myself although would love for it to happen.
Posted by: aldi_01, June 18, 2022, 7:59am; Reply: 3
He’s definitely a player that Hurst would be interested in but depending on how silly the offers get, we won’t be mugged off or get in to some sort of bidding war…
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 18, 2022, 8:24am; Reply: 4
Others with deeper pockets will get in the way of this one I’m afraid.
Posted by: Mikey_345, June 18, 2022, 8:25am; Reply: 5
Would be a hell of a signing that, lots of interest in him though.
Posted by: aldi_01, June 18, 2022, 8:28am; Reply: 6
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Others with deeper pockets will get in the way of this one I’m afraid.

Deep pockets with a short term plan, we’re definitely playing a medium to long game, with the spanner, albeit an amazing spanner in the works of going up at the first attempt…still boggling my head to be fair…
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 18, 2022, 8:37am; Reply: 7
Quoted from aldi_01

Deep pockets with a short term plan, we’re definitely playing a medium to long game, with the spanner, albeit an amazing spanner in the works of going up at the first attempt…still boggling my head to be fair…

Same to be honest. I agree, I’m sure our recruitment conversations are based on being part of something rather than earning mega bucks.

We came up at the first attempt I’m not sure what will happen next season but I suspect we’ll be competitive.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 18, 2022, 9:28am; Reply: 8
We’ve just signed a really top defender in front of other clubs. What’s to say we couldn’t/shouldn’t be in with a shout of getting him?

I agree with others though, would be a superb signing
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, June 18, 2022, 9:58am; Reply: 9
Who knows he might come here , this isn’t the days of refusing you’re proven top striker a small pay rise. Does anyone think they’ve been ringing each other up since we got promoted saying did that really happen 😀 isn’t it great that we now talk about on here signing or potentially signing good players rather than deconstructing flags or bringing convicted fraudsters into our club.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, June 18, 2022, 9:59am; Reply: 10
Bradford aside, we are one of the biggest clubs in League Two so unless he's going to League One or even higher then we should have every chance. Though I understand he signed a new contract with Solihull last week? Not sure if they simply activated an option. We're a good club, on the up, go get him.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, June 18, 2022, 10:17am; Reply: 11
Solihull activated the option they had on his contract
Posted by: Kris2, June 18, 2022, 10:46am; Reply: 12
It's only sensible of them considering the interest around him from a number of clubs in League Two and higher up, they'll cash in on him if they have to let him leave. I'm sure most clubs will be interested so it could end up being a bidding war. Even Wrexham is a factor in that with more of a budget than even most of the League Two teams.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 18, 2022, 10:49am; Reply: 13
As a young goal scoring midfielder (18 goals last season) he is exactly the very high standard of player we should be looking at for replacing Fox.  We have the owners and money to back Hurst.

Any young talented player  should only increase in value, as opposed to buying players at the end of their careers.  Who are also more injury-prone.

We are a club that are well-run, with a proven successful manager, with good owners and strong support.  We have more money than usual from increase season ticket sales,  these are all factors that can be used to sell the club to potential players.  

Posted by: Mariner_09, June 18, 2022, 10:54am; Reply: 14
I saw all three games against Solihull and, it’s fair to say he stood out in all three. Seen him score 1 and create 2 against us. A young left footed winger at this level scoring 18 goals and no doubt assisting a shed load more is going to be hot property and it would have the rest of the league terrified with McAtee alongside him if we signed him. I imagine we’re able to compete financially for that type of player now but if a L1 club comes in for him or even Wrexham throw daft money at it, I don’t think anyone else stands much of a chance.
Posted by: sam gy, June 18, 2022, 11:10am; Reply: 15
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Bradford aside, we are one of the biggest clubs in League Two so unless he's going to League One or even higher then we should have every chance. Though I understand he signed a new contract with Solihull last week? Not sure if they simply activated an option. We're a good club, on the up, go get him.

In our eyes maybe, but the fact is we haven’t been higher than league two in 18 years. Most professional players will not even be able to remember us playing any higher than league two.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 18, 2022, 11:36am; Reply: 16
Would love this to happen but he will have many suitors. Scoring record of 1 in 3 for a winger is superb, not to mention his assists.

He's a little lad and hopefully he can be a modern day Dave Gilbert for us, but Solihull won't let him go for nowt, having activated his contract extension.

Think he will have better options personally, but remain hopeful.
Posted by: toontown, June 18, 2022, 11:40am; Reply: 17
Quoted from ginnywings
Would love this to happen but he will have many suitors. Scoring record of 1 in 3 for a winger is superb, not to mention his assists.

He's a little lad and hopefully he can be a modern day Dave Gilbert for us, but Solihull won't let him go for nowt, having activated his contract extension.

Think he will have better options personally, but remain hopeful.

Yeah agreed, will file this under the 'be great if it happens, Doubtful it will' category
Posted by: acko338, June 18, 2022, 12:39pm; Reply: 18
As with Fox, agents and their increased commission could play a big part if he wants to leave Solihull.

These financial pariahs can turn a player's head with money, even if they are happy with their club, fellow players, conditions etc.

At least our improved conditions and great fan base commitment is helping to keep potential signings interested in us !!

Let's see what happens over the next 2 or 3 weeks !!
Posted by: nightrider, June 18, 2022, 12:50pm; Reply: 19
I'm all for positivity and all that but.....
More chance of him going to a Championship club in the Midlands
Posted by: smokey111, June 18, 2022, 12:52pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
As a young goal scoring midfielder (18 goals last season) he is exactly the very high standard of player we should be looking at for replacing Fox.  We have the owners and money to back Hurst.

Any young talented player  should only increase in value, as opposed to buying players at the end of their careers.  Who are also more injury-prone.

We are a club that are well-run, with a proven successful manager, with good owners and strong support.  We have more money than usual from increase season ticket sales,  these are all factors that can be used to sell the club to potential players.  

Totally different players.

I doubt whether Fox will get 18 goals over the next 3 seasons. That isn't a criticism of Fox but his skills were in pressing, breaking up play and moving the ball onto others with more guile.
Posted by: DB, June 18, 2022, 1:39pm; Reply: 21
He is under contract so much would he cost?
Posted by: Grimsby2012, June 18, 2022, 2:25pm; Reply: 22
There are plenty of clubs after him, although none in the championship.

I have absolutely no idea if we will get him, I just know we have a strong interest.

I'm not sure about the fee either. Although there will be one.

Bradford, Mansfield, Wrexham, Chesterfield, Salford, Peterborough, Exeter and a few more are also interested.
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 18, 2022, 2:32pm; Reply: 23
Think Chesterfield can forget that one!

Reckon he’ll rock up at Wrexham, think they can virtually blow everyone out the water with their offer. Likelihood is it’ll only be another year in non league.
Posted by: aldi_01, June 18, 2022, 2:39pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Mariner_09
Think Chesterfield can forget that one!

Reckon he’ll rock up at Wrexham, think they can virtually blow everyone out the water with their offer. Likelihood is it’ll only be another year in non league.

And yet they’ll still have parkinson rendering the purchase of yet another good footballer futile given his woeful style of play…
Posted by: grimsbybrown, June 18, 2022, 2:59pm; Reply: 25
Got to feel for Solihull a bit.

That team is going to be completely picked apart, will be hard to rebuild whatever they take in transfer fees.  I don’t think they’ll do much next season.  Reflects where they sit in the food chain.

Whilst being a bigger club helps, makes you wonder what our situation would have been if we lost the final.  It’s a nightmare league to escape.

As for Sbarra, would love it - but can’t see it, sadly.  Barnett, however….
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 18, 2022, 3:02pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from aldi_01

And yet they’ll still have parkinson rendering the purchase of yet another good footballer futile given his woeful style of play…

If I was Reynolds, I’d have sacked Parkinson and done everything to go and get Ardley out of Solihull. They overachieved last season and play way better football, plus he’s had success at a higher level. With a decent manager, who could nurtured that side into a half decent footballing team, they’d walk that league. As it is, they’re subjected to another season of long balls, long throws and cheating.
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 18, 2022, 3:22pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Mariner_09

If I was Reynolds, I’d have sacked Parkinson and done everything to go and get Ardley out of Solihull. They overachieved last season and play way better football, plus he’s had success at a higher level. With a decent manager, who could nurtured that side into a half decent footballing team, they’d walk that league. As it is, they’re subjected to another season of long balls, long throws and cheating.

I think you’ve got that exactly right, they’d win at a canter with him in change. I also think Sbarra will go to Wrexham too.
Posted by: PoutonStepover, June 18, 2022, 3:59pm; Reply: 28
He played with Fox at Burton, we would have had a better chance of him joining if we had kept hold of Fox
Posted by: Maringer, June 18, 2022, 4:01pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from grimsbybrown

Barnett caused us all sorts of problems at BP and was a real handful in the Final as well. Would be a big upgrade from Sousa.
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 18, 2022, 4:02pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Maringer

Barnett caused us all sorts of problems at BP and was a real handful in the Final as well. Would be a big upgrade from Sousa.

He got his crosses in every time in the final, I liked him.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, June 18, 2022, 4:03pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Heisenberg

I think you’ve got that exactly right, they’d win at a canter with him in change. I also think Sbarra will go to Wrexham too.

Where would he fit into their rigid 3-5-2 system?
Posted by: chaos33, June 18, 2022, 4:05pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from grimsbybrown

That team is going to be completely picked apart, will be hard to rebuild whatever they take in transfer fees.  I don’t think they’ll do much next season.  Reflects where they sit in the food chain.

Whilst being a bigger club helps, makes you wonder what our situation would have been if we lost the final.  It’s a nightmare league to escape.

Agreed. They’ve got a handful of players who look L2 quality and they could find them impossible to keep. I suppose both clubs will find a fair bit of interest in players after the play offs showcase. I fully expect us to receive offers for JM, and they will get plenty too. Fox is clearly an example of a player who was ‘in the shop window’ and money talks.
Posted by: aldi_01, June 18, 2022, 4:20pm; Reply: 33
I think if Solihull keep hold of their gaffer they’ll be pleased.

For the life of me I can’t fathom out how Parkinson has a job still. Wrexham will not go up with him in charge…
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 18, 2022, 4:59pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from aldi_01
I think if Solihull keep hold of their gaffer they’ll be pleased.

For the life of me I can’t fathom out how Parkinson has a job still. Wrexham will not go up with him in charge…

I met a Wrexham fan the other day (great bloke, by the way) but he did take mild offence at me suggesting Parkinson was a weak link. Maybe next season will go south as well? We’ll see.
Posted by: aldi_01, June 18, 2022, 5:02pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Heisenberg

I met a Wrexham fan the other day (great bloke, by the way) but he did take mild offence at me suggesting Parkinson was a weak link. Maybe next season will go south as well? We’ll see.

Surely there’s a split in Wrexham fans.

They have one of the best set of players assembled at that level but they’re not a team and the tactics are woeful. Hurst knew this and we did what we needed to do.

I can’t see parkinson seeing out the season…
Posted by: WelwynGardener, June 18, 2022, 5:44pm; Reply: 36
I wonder also about Jamie Osborne's status at Solihull. Although suspended for the final, I noticed he gave PH a mighty hug at the end, as if they knew one another. Not really reading anything into that, but I thought him one of Town's better signings under Bignot. I don't know whether there were 'sinister' reasons why he wanted to return to the Midlands, but he has not had a crack at League football since. Is there any likelihood of him being persuaded to jump ship back to BP?
Posted by: moosey_club, June 18, 2022, 5:46pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from grimsbybrown

Barnett for me too.
Posted by: Mariners_15, June 18, 2022, 5:51pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from WelwynGardener
I wonder also about Jamie Osborne's status at Solihull. Although suspended for the final, I noticed he gave PH a mighty hug at the end, as if they knew one another. Not really reading anything into that, but I thought him one of Town's better signings under Bignot. I don't know whether there were 'sinister' reasons why he wanted to return to the Midlands, but he has not had a crack at League football since. Is there any likelihood of him being persuaded to jump ship back to BP?

No thanks, he had his chance.

Doubt he'd leave Solihull anyway.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 18, 2022, 8:55pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Maringer

This. I’ve mentioned Barnett before, he offers more end product than Sbarra and Sousa and played for Hurst at Shrewsbury.
Posted by: Mariner93er, June 18, 2022, 9:40pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from MuddyWaters

This. I’ve mentioned Barnett before, he offers more end product than Sbarra and Sousa and played for Hurst at Shrewsbury.

Does he? He scored 3 goals last season and I believe he had less assists than Sbarra. Our weakness last season was lack of goals and if we're going with a Taylor McAtee combo again, we need a winger who can chip in with plenty and Barnett definitely isn't that man - but Sbarra is.
Posted by: Maringer, June 18, 2022, 10:04pm; Reply: 41
But Sbarra would cost a lot more than Barrett and the budget can only stretch so far. From the two games I saw him play, I'd have Barrett in a heartbeat.

I'd obviously be happy to sign either of them!
Posted by: Hagrid, June 18, 2022, 10:08pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Maringer
But Sbarra would cost a lot more than Barrett and the budget can only stretch so far. From the two games I saw him play, I'd have Barrett in a heartbeat.

Barnett would be better
Posted by: davmariner, June 18, 2022, 10:14pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Maringer

If we sign Barnett then we might as well have kept Sousa judging by end product.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, June 18, 2022, 10:30pm; Reply: 44
Let’s just leave it to Paul
Posted by: pizzzza, June 18, 2022, 10:31pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from davmariner

If we sign Barnett then we might as well have kept Sousa judging by end product.

Are you in a position to judge Barnett's end product? How much have you seen him play this season?
Posted by: Abdul19, June 18, 2022, 10:39pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Let’s just leave it to Paul

Well it is, isn't it? Even if this thread stretches to 2012572 pages, it's still left to Paul!
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 18, 2022, 10:59pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Mariners_15

No thanks, he had his chance.

Doubt he'd leave Solihull anyway.

He was very good for us. Slade’s fault he left.

He was the best midfielder I’ve seen us have on the books in the last decade. All about opinions, and that’s mine.
Posted by: smokey111, June 18, 2022, 11:02pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Heisenberg

He was the best midfielder I’ve seen us have on the books in the last decade. All about opinions, and that’s mine.

Very talented, but Nolan is the most gifted CM we have had in the last 10 years IMO.
Posted by: toontown, June 18, 2022, 11:12pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from smokey111

Very talented, but Nolan is the most gifted CM we have had in the last 10 years IMO.

The central midfield at conference level that was better for clays return you mean?
Posted by: smokey111, June 18, 2022, 11:17pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from toontown

The central midfield at conference level that was better for clays return you mean?

Yeah, that is the one.
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 18, 2022, 11:25pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from smokey111

He was some player, that is true.

Didn’t he go to Chesterfield because they were in L1?!! Mad to think of that now.
Posted by: fishcake63, June 19, 2022, 10:10am; Reply: 52
Nolan was a great player my issue is he hasn't kicked a ball for nearly two yrs but ph could be the one to get his career back on track worth the punt in my view
Posted by: Mariners_15, June 19, 2022, 4:30pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Heisenberg

He was a very gifted player we absolutely agree on that although I'm not sure it was completely down to Slade he left. I personally don't think he fancied it from the off.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, June 20, 2022, 5:36pm; Reply: 54
Signed a new two year deal at Solihull, fair play to the lad.
Posted by: Grimsby2012, June 20, 2022, 5:52pm; Reply: 55
As I said, decision would be this week. Slightly surprised it was this early in the week. I was told Bradford and Salford offered very good terms to him.

Certainly a loyal player as he was offered less at Solihull.
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 12:50pm