Good signing!
Posted by: Poojah, June 15, 2022, 12:30pm; Reply: 5
https://mobile.twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1537034680394031104
Posted by: Abdul19, June 15, 2022, 12:31pm; Reply: 6
Ooh nice
Posted by: Hagrid, June 15, 2022, 12:31pm; Reply: 7
Really good signing
Posted by: ska face, June 15, 2022, 12:32pm; Reply: 8
Very happy with that. Thought he was miles ahead of anyone on the pitch when they played at our place.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 15, 2022, 12:33pm; Reply: 9
Suggest to me that we won't be getting Andy Smith back again next season.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, June 15, 2022, 12:33pm; Reply: 10
Top marks for this one; bodes well, does it not?
Posted by: jimgtfc, June 15, 2022, 12:34pm; Reply: 11
Excellent start, top signing this!
Posted by: AdamHaddock, June 15, 2022, 12:35pm; Reply: 12
Welcome Mahers
Posted by: pontoonlew, June 15, 2022, 12:37pm; Reply: 13
What a statement of intent this is
Posted by: Poojah, June 15, 2022, 12:39pm; Reply: 14
Got to be very happy with that. The best player in what was comfortably the league’s best defence last season. They only conceded 35 in 44 league games, which is an incredible record really.

Excellent start to proceedings.
Posted by: AussieShaymen, June 15, 2022, 12:42pm; Reply: 15
Got yourself a good one there. Look after him. Very comfortable on ball. We played him as a defensive midfielder first couple of seasons, but he made centre half his own the last two season. Glad he's gone to a team on the up. Think he's the right sort of signing for you.
Posted by: Son of Cod, June 15, 2022, 12:43pm; Reply: 16
Great signing, especially considering he was linked with most Northern L2 sides. Seems like we've actually won a legit transfer race here. Well done to the club.
Quoted from Les Brechin

Could see us having 4 CBs in the squad with Pearson one of those and not used a great deal so I could see us bringing one more in unless Longe-King gets another crack but I'm expecting him to go out on loan or even sign for a National League club.
Posted by: Surrey97, June 15, 2022, 12:43pm; Reply: 17
Very good signing I think. Been linked with a number of other EFL clubs. Positive signs for the Summer. UTM.
Posted by: LH, June 15, 2022, 12:49pm; Reply: 18
Good signing. A great one for the Grimsby accent too - it’ll sound like he’s a present for baby Jesus.
Posted by: Mikey_345, June 15, 2022, 12:50pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Les Brechin

Still think we need more in. Pearson looks like he is moving towards the coaching side of things and won’t really be a starter next season. DLK clearly wants away. So we therefore have only Waterfall, Maher and Pearson as senior CB’s
Posted by: Abdul19, June 15, 2022, 12:51pm; Reply: 20
According to Wiki, Maher has 3 middle names. Must put him right up there in the GTFC number of middle names league table.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 15, 2022, 12:52pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Mikey_345

Still think we need more in. Pearson looks like he is moving towards the coaching side of things and won’t really be a starter next season. DLK clearly wants away. So we therefore have only Waterfall, Maher and Pearson as senior CB’s

Yeah agreed, think Pearson will be 4th choice. (And won't get to be sub keeper anymore!)
Posted by: Kris2, June 15, 2022, 1:00pm; Reply: 22
Real good statement of intent to start off with. It's great to be signing players that are on the up on the back of a great season, Niall Maher lead that backline really well and is exactly the kind of defender we need, lots of composure, leadership on the pitch and a good ball player from the back.

Beat off a lot of interest from other clubs so shows what we've achieved as a club and how we are willing to put in the resources to get our man.
Posted by: Posh Harry, June 15, 2022, 1:01pm; Reply: 23
Very happy with this. Interesting that it has been announced before any of the existing players. I assume some have resigned, so is this an example to those who are ‘considering their options’ that we are serious about the upcoming season and looking to challenge.

I know he isn’t Ronaldo, but a lot of plaudits, other teams after him and our players would have seen him up close last year.

UTFM
Posted by: immariner, June 15, 2022, 1:07pm; Reply: 24
Belter of a signing, that
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 15, 2022, 1:08pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Mikey_345

Not sure if Hull would let him come back here though if he's not going to get regular game time as I reckon our main 2 CB''s next season will be Waterfall and Maher. Unless we start playing with 3 CB's at the back though?  ;)
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 15, 2022, 1:22pm; Reply: 26
Cracking signing.  Not sure this signals that we won't be going back in for Smith and/or there's another defender in the offing.

Pearson was a bit part player in the fifth tier, it's not likely that he's going to be in Hurst's plans as a starter in the fourth tier.  I think he was brought in for stability and his influence, probably with an eye from both camps on developing into the coaching side of the game.  

Longe-King won't be here.  Not a chance.

Waterfall was immense last season but Hurst will continually look to improve on him and the side overall.  

To my eyes it's Waterfall and Maher as the centre-backs at the minute.
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 15, 2022, 1:23pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Les Brechin

Not sure if Hull would let him come back here though if he's not going to get regular game time as I reckon our main 2 CB''s next season will be Waterfall and Maher. Unless we start playing with 3 CB's at the back though?  ;)

I can't imagine we would sign Smith and then not have him as first choice, regardless if we've gone up a level or not.  He was outstanding once he got a run of games. As good as Waterfall was, Smith made him look even better once they developed an understanding.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, June 15, 2022, 1:27pm; Reply: 28
That’s a great signing.
Posted by: Grantley, June 15, 2022, 1:38pm; Reply: 29
There’s no guarantee that Waterfall will re-sign - obviously would prefer him to than not.
Posted by: hheh2, June 15, 2022, 1:44pm; Reply: 30
Great signing knows Hoolohan too!

Seems like we beat Leyton Orient, Northampton, Rochdale, Oldham and Barrow. (Probably should remove Oldham from that)

UTFM
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 15, 2022, 1:59pm; Reply: 31
The NLPaper last Sunday said Maher leaving will leave Halifax needing to fill a huge hole at the heart of their defence.  He is their captain and has been there for 4 years.

In NL team of the season and Adam Virgo’s team of the season (along with McAtee).  

Linked with Tranmere as well as the clubs identified above.

Pleased to have had the opportunity to showcase his talent.  

Had a great rapport with the fans.
Posted by: mariner91, June 15, 2022, 2:11pm; Reply: 32
Fantastic signing. Best defender from the best defence in the league below, can’t argue with that.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 15, 2022, 2:32pm; Reply: 33
Wow. Terrific signing. Sounds like we are going for it this season!
Posted by: GollyGTFC, June 15, 2022, 2:45pm; Reply: 34
Possible new club captain?
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, June 15, 2022, 2:46pm; Reply: 35

When did signing a centre back from Halifax ever get you 3 points on a Saturday? *

* I feel old with this reference.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 15, 2022, 2:47pm; Reply: 36
What a great signing, if we sign another 6 or 7 with his quality, then League 1 here we come.  UTM.
Posted by: DB, June 15, 2022, 2:48pm; Reply: 37
A good signing, I'd love to know who else is on Hursts' shopping list.
Posted by: Mikey_345, June 15, 2022, 2:56pm; Reply: 38
Great signing this. Arguably Halifax's best player in a defence that had 18 clean sheets and was the League's best defence, only 34 conceded all year.

The early nature of this suggests he was pretty much first choice target, which is positive. One thing I really like from what Maher is quoted as saying is that it seems the deal was relatively easy to do. With the clubs that were reportably in for him that is a huge testament to Hurst but also Jason and Andrew. Whether that's down to money, selling the project/club or both.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 15, 2022, 3:30pm; Reply: 39
Cracking start to proceedings.

More of the same please.
Posted by: HerveJosse, June 15, 2022, 3:32pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

When did signing a centre back from Halifax ever get you 3 points on a Saturday? *

When we signed the immaculate Paul Futcher.

Posted by: SheepGTFC, June 15, 2022, 3:54pm; Reply: 41
Waterfall and Maher starters. Pearson and Long-King backup? Nice.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, June 15, 2022, 4:00pm; Reply: 42

So do I...but great one nevertheless...when one bought hard copy fanzines - the Fuchenstein...!

Posted by: Nelly GTFC, June 15, 2022, 4:24pm; Reply: 43
(ohmy) Impressive, can't help but have a cheesy grin.(icon_cheesygrin) Nice one Hurst.(wink)
Quoted from hheh2
Great signing knows Hoolohan too!

Seems like we beat Leyton Orient, Northampton, Rochdale, Oldham and Barrow. (Probably should remove Oldham from that)

UTFM
Yeah, was just reading about that >> https://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/20207185.oldham-athletic-miss-ex-bolton-wanderers-blackpool-defender-niall-maher/
Posted by: It Bites, June 15, 2022, 5:03pm; Reply: 44
Wow what a difference . Last time we got promoted we offered reduced terms to our better players . This time we sign better players
Posted by: Garth, June 15, 2022, 5:14pm; Reply: 45
More tickets sold on the back of this
Posted by: aldi_01, June 15, 2022, 5:16pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Garth

Almost like they’ve got a strategy…
Posted by: grimps, June 15, 2022, 5:20pm; Reply: 47

I was thinking the same earlier , the last one was stuck in reserves and cost the hefty price of £10000
Posted by: grimps, June 15, 2022, 5:24pm; Reply: 48
I think any player from the National league that has seen us play in the play offs come across our support would be well up for signing for us if the moneys right .
Believe it or not I think there might be a few that fancy coming to us now
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, June 15, 2022, 5:28pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from grimps
I think any player from the National league that has seen us play in the play offs come across our support would be well up for signing for us if the moneys right .
Believe it or not I think there might be a few that fancy coming to us now

I was thinking this.

That home match against Halifax. The atmosphere was fervid. The fans, the players, the management team were as pumped up as Noche’s inflatable love doll.

Maher probably thinks Pearson’s a lollipopping left winger based on that second half.
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 15, 2022, 5:29pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Garth

I’m convinced this signing was completed a bit ago. Isn’t Hursty out the country at the moment? I’d, therefore, be surprised if several players haven’t already re-signed or just signed and they’re waiting until ST sales hit a plateau, or keeping the signings ready to really ramp up the hype just before or after pay day. I think we’re operating in a different stratosphere to what we were last time we got promoted, the budget is so much bigger I think and the vibe is so much better.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 15, 2022, 6:23pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Possible new club captain?

That was my first thought too, since Coke is departing. Waterfall was a very worthy Captain game to game but IF Waterfall doesnt re-sign then Myrrh will no doubt step up and Captain the team
Posted by: RichMariner, June 15, 2022, 6:56pm; Reply: 52
There was competition from other L2 clubs for his signature, it seems. Makes you wonder what tipped things in our favour - because it might not have been about the biggest contract.

Location wise, there are L2 clubs closer to Halifax than we are.

Perhaps it comes down to some of these:

Season ticket sales breaking records and home crowds likely to exceed 6k consistently
Good training facilities - certainly much better than they used to be!
Feeling welcomed by a club that’s on the up - new owners that have instigated better relationship with fans
Amazing team spirit - who wouldn’t want to be part of a group that did what we did in the play-offs?!

Basically, in a league where there’s little to separate clubs, we’ve invested in the little margins that can swing deals like this in our favour.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, June 15, 2022, 7:04pm; Reply: 53
Fully expect us to be fighting a the top end of the table this season we’re a different club now we’re being run by proper people
Posted by: Saudimariner, June 15, 2022, 7:11pm; Reply: 54

That was my first thought too, since Coke is departing. Waterfall was a very worthy Captain game to game but IF Waterfall doesnt re-sign then Myrrh will no doubt step up and Captain the team

Will he bring his mates Gould, and Frank Insence?
Posted by: RonMariner, June 15, 2022, 7:17pm; Reply: 55
As my mate Steve says, the last central defender we signed from Halifax didn't do too badly....
Posted by: headingly_mariner, June 15, 2022, 7:45pm; Reply: 56
Good news to get a wanted man. Hopefully he settles well. Really looking forward to seeing him play.
Posted by: Grimsby2012, June 15, 2022, 8:07pm; Reply: 57
It's only fair.

Halifax took our best CB years ago and now we take theirs.

Greg young.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 15, 2022, 8:18pm; Reply: 58
WTF is Hurst playing at !!??
He has never played for us before, not even linked with us and no one has speculated about him either.
This is not on Paul.

Posted by: grimps, June 15, 2022, 8:28pm; Reply: 59
I thought the Grimsby was was to wait until the last week of august and see what dregs are left before making signings 😂
How things have changed
Posted by: TheultimateMariner, June 15, 2022, 8:39pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from grimps
I thought the Grimsby was was to wait until the last week of august and see what dregs are left before making signings 😂
How things have changed

That was the Fenty way😂
Posted by: RonMariner, June 15, 2022, 8:51pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from grimps
How things have changed

Yep. That is how you get relegated out of the EFL…… twice!!!
Posted by: It Bites, June 15, 2022, 8:57pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from RonMariner

Yep. That is how you get relegated out of the EFL…… twice!!!

3 times if you count the points deduction season . Also a few near misses
Posted by: toontown, June 15, 2022, 9:01pm; Reply: 63
Great signing, really impressive, probably does mean smith is less likely to return unless he and Hull are willing to see him sign up to a battle for a place instead of a definite start. Not that that's a bad thing, you always have to try and improve when you go up a division.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 15, 2022, 9:03pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from It Bites

3 times if you count the points deduction season . Also a few near misses

True. At no point did the message sink in. That was no way to run a football club. We were basically the role model for the Mike Basset tv series.

Thank god we can put that all behind us now. It’s a different world compared to the miserable farce we had degenerated into.
Posted by: grimps, June 15, 2022, 9:08pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from TheultimateMariner

That was the Fenty way😂

The Holloway was was wait until October and hope they he season was cancelled
Posted by: Maringer, June 15, 2022, 9:16pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from toontown
Great signing, really impressive, probably does mean smith is less likely to return unless he and Hull are willing to see him sign up to a battle for a place instead of a definite start. Not that that's a bad thing, you always have to try and improve when you go up a division.

There's always the possibility that Hurst wants to try 3 at the back. Waterfall as the 'stopper', the other two as balk-playing defenders? I think Amos could play as a wing-back, but I'm not so sure about Cropper, however. I suppose he could potentially be in the back 3?
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, June 15, 2022, 9:19pm; Reply: 67
The last centre half we signed from Halifax wasn’t bad was he?
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 15, 2022, 9:21pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Maringer

There's always the possibility that Hurst wants to try 3 at the back. Waterfall as the 'stopper', the other two as balk-playing defenders? I think Amos could play as a wing-back, but I'm not so sure about Cropper, however. I suppose he could potentially be in the back 3?

Efete could play as a wing back, he has all the attributes needed for that role. Is Maher left footed? I much prefer having a left footer on the left of a back three if possible. Wonder if Hursty fancies making us collectively more versatile and able to combat different teams’ strengths with different methods.

Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 15, 2022, 9:22pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from grimps
How things have changed

Truth is that Hurst has maybe 4 weeks less to get business done and doesn't have the option of signing players throughout the season like he could in the NL
Posted by: chaos33, June 15, 2022, 9:42pm; Reply: 70
I reckon Smith will be back. Just a hunch.
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 15, 2022, 9:57pm; Reply: 71
The general consensus is there isn’t actually that much of a gap between the top of non league and the top of L2, let alone the bottom of it, given the budgets and quality of player flying around at the top of our league. I could observe with my own eyes that the standard is way higher this time we got promoted to last. Cherry picking the best players from the top NL clubs may be the way to go as there may be less competition for them, they’ll all have points to prove if they’re coming up from non league and we’ll end up with a squad genuinely capable of challenging for promotion again!
Posted by: lukeo, June 15, 2022, 10:36pm; Reply: 72
Wish the club would do themed days for if/when the players resign..

Mcatee Monday
Taylor Tuesday etc 😂
Posted by: IrishMariner, June 15, 2022, 10:45pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from lukeo

Mcatee Monday
Taylor Tuesday etc 😂

A teacher like yourself should recognise the difference between re-sign and resign..
Posted by: RonMariner, June 15, 2022, 11:03pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from lukeo

Mcatee Monday
Taylor Tuesday etc 😂

Fabrigas Friday
Posted by: Croxton, June 15, 2022, 11:09pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from lukeo

Mcatee Monday
Taylor Tuesday etc 😂

Waterfall Wednesday
Ethete Thursday
Fox Friday

Poetic licence!
Posted by: Norseman, June 15, 2022, 11:36pm; Reply: 76
Who's to say it might not be Smith and Maher as waterfall struggled in league 2 .Might be back up
Posted by: Surrey97, June 15, 2022, 11:45pm; Reply: 77
As others have said, I think Smith will be coming back. Won’t be involved with Hull’s first team next season so they’ll be looking to give him another EFL loan. I’d expect Longe King to move on and Pearson to be 4th choice with more of a focus on coaching for him.
Posted by: toontown, June 16, 2022, 7:40am; Reply: 78
Quoted from Mariner_09

Efete could play as a wing back, he has all the attributes needed for that role.

He was tried there at times last season and was pretty poor. Stockport away springs to mind with revan on the other wing.

He isn't suited at all apart from having a great engine to get up and down. He doesn't have a good cross from deep in him and almost never attempts to, which is essential for a wing back. He doesn't offer width in the final third by trying to go past his man and crossing from the bye line (well he does very occasionally but its rare). His attacking play is more about coming inside rather than offering width. In that Stockport match clifton came on to replace revan and offered more going forward in the final 10 than the pair of them had in the previous 80, even on his weaker side. Attacked the box with speed and a couple of cutbacks one of which fox should have done much better from. Clifton is our best wing back.

Effete's actually more of a wide centre back in a 3 himself really, (likewise crookes who is tall for a full back and actually played in the 3 in that match against Stockport I believe) and Hurst has said he can see him in that role himself. Effete has height and is good in the air as shown by several goals scored the other end. He is very strong, and although he has decent speed for a full back for a central defender he would be very quick for a  entral defender.

He isn't perfect for that role though, his passing is very poor so wouldn't be comfortable knocking it across a 3 I don't think. And  I think his defending when the ball is on the deck in the box leaves a bit to be desired and prone to the odd erratic error. Which is perhaps explains why Hurst hasn't trusted him there.

Posted by: Teesknees, June 16, 2022, 7:57am; Reply: 79
Quoted from lukeo

Mcatee Monday
Taylor Tuesday etc 😂

A themed day when the leave the club?!

If they are under contract can they just resign!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 16, 2022, 8:11am; Reply: 80
Quoted from lukeo

Mcatee Monday
Taylor Tuesday etc 😂

Why does EVERYTHING have to be themed? Makes it all cheap and tacky imho.

We don’t need gimmicks at the moment. The club are on a great trajectory with season tickets and there is an obvious feel good factor in the area.
Posted by: Garth, June 16, 2022, 8:29am; Reply: 81
Quoted from RonMariner

Fabrigas Friday

Flabbergasted if it was Fabrigas on Friday
Posted by: AussieShaymen, June 16, 2022, 8:55am; Reply: 82
Halifax fan here, wonder if there is any chance you'll sign our other centre half that's left club and is expected to sign for a league club in Tom Bradbury, he's a natural lefty, taller and just as comfortable on the ball as Niall Maher. He's from fro down south, but did buy a house in York sometime last year.
Posted by: Kris2, June 16, 2022, 9:07am; Reply: 83
Quoted from AussieShaymen
Halifax fan here, wonder if there is any chance you'll sign our other centre half that's left club and is expected to sign for a league club in Tom Bradbury, he's a natural lefty, taller and just as comfortable on the ball as Niall Maher. He's from fro down south, but did buy a house in York sometime last year.

Last I heard he was on his way to Cheltenham but their manager just left for Barnsley so not sure where it leaves those negotiations. New man might have different targets and ideas of what he wants but it seemed like almost a done deal a few days ago.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, June 16, 2022, 3:55pm; Reply: 84
Probally been mentioned, but as well as centre-back, Niall Maher can also play in the defensive midfielder role, as well as right-back, which were the positions he has previously played during his time at Halifax.
Source: https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/expert-halifax-town-verdict-grimsby-7211620 (scroll to the bottom of the article)
Liam Walsh, Halifax journalist for The Non-League Paper.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 16, 2022, 8:17pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Why does EVERYTHING have to be themed? Makes it all cheap and tacky imho.

We don’t need gimmicks at the moment. The club are on a great trajectory with season tickets and there is an obvious feel good factor in the area.

I am with you on this one, let's call it

No Theme Thursday
Print page generated: May 24, 2024, 4:24am