Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 9, 2022, 11:05am
Anyone any idea when we'll be releasing our retained list?
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 9, 2022, 11:10am; Reply: 1

You had us going there Les   ;)
Posted by: Poojah, June 9, 2022, 11:20am; Reply: 2
I think this is about as nervous as I’ve ever been about a retained list. I recognise that this is business and difficult decisions need to be made, but that lot just gave me some of the best memories of my life.

Regardless of whether it’s the ‘right’ decision or not, I’ll be genuinely sad to see players leave the club after what they’ve just done. Whatever happens, they’ll remain forever Town in my heart. Absolute heroes.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 9, 2022, 11:25am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Poojah
I think this is about as nervous as I’ve ever been about a retained list. I recognise that this is business and difficult decisions need to be made, but that lot just gave me some of the best memories of my life.

Regardless of whether it’s the ‘right’ decision or not, I’ll be genuinely sad to see players leave the club after what they’ve just done. Whatever happens, they’ll remain forever Town in my heart. Absolute heroes.

100%

Not had many players in my life time (29) that go down as 'heroes'
Majority of the 2016 team of course, but very few and far between apart from that
Posted by: Hagrid, June 9, 2022, 11:33am; Reply: 4
SO Far, Burgess, Coke, Sousa and Crookes have been told they wont be offered terms

Mani has not been offered a contract either
Posted by: AdamHaddock, June 9, 2022, 11:36am; Reply: 5
Sauce?
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, June 9, 2022, 11:38am; Reply: 6
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Sauce?

Always red
Posted by: Hagrid, June 9, 2022, 11:41am; Reply: 7
Battersby has been offered a new deal ( which did surprise me somewhat)
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 9, 2022, 12:11pm; Reply: 8
I'm sorry but I cannot accept footballers as 'Heroes'.  I have fought with Heroes who laid down their lives for their friends.  (Red cross if you like, those crosses mean nothing to me).
Posted by: ginnywings, June 9, 2022, 12:13pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Hagrid

3rd choice I'd imagine.

The retained list has been changed somewhat by the promotion, so probably why it's a bit late for release.
Posted by: ska face, June 9, 2022, 12:15pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from 123614
I'm sorry but I cannot accept footballers as 'Heroes'.  I have fought with Heroes who laid down their lives for their friends.  (Red cross if you like, those crosses mean nothing to me).

Have a day off.

Long live the heroes of 21/22.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 9, 2022, 12:20pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Hagrid

I got told he's second choice next season a number of weeks ago.

Ryan Taylor looked less elated than the others on Tuesday night which made me wonder if that was just his level headed personality or if he's on his way. We will see I guess.
Posted by: chaos33, June 9, 2022, 12:20pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Hagrid
SO Far, Burgess, Coke, Sousa and Crookes have been told they wont be offered terms

How do you know this, and is it fair to put this ‘out there’ before official comms?
Posted by: immariner, June 9, 2022, 12:21pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Hagrid

If true, Sousa is the only mild surprise from that list. Played a massive part in the play offs and so close to being a quality player. Will get snapped up by a NL club. Looking at his previous clubs, i'd say west Yorkshire is his base. Would put money on both him and the Shop joining York
Posted by: Mayaman, June 9, 2022, 12:21pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from ginnywings

3rd choice I'd imagine.

The retained list has been changed somewhat by the promotion, so probably why it's a bit late for release.

So some players where playing themselves out of a job on Sunday.
Posted by: davmariner, June 9, 2022, 12:22pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Ryan Taylor looked less elated than the others on Tuesday night which made me wonder if that was just his level headed personality or if he's on his way. We will see I guess.

We need a proper first/second choice competition between keepers. Unfortunately Battersby has looked less than impressive whenever I’ve seen him so we do need to bring someone else in.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 9, 2022, 12:23pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I think he's an extremely calm and relaxed person.
Whenever we score, he's calm and composed.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 9, 2022, 12:24pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from chaos33

How do you know this, and is it fair to put this ‘out there’ before official comms?

Yeah i think its fair

Most players put farewell messages on social media before the club officially announce their retained list

i'm only passing on info which i think the fanbase would be happy to know?

Posted by: chaos33, June 9, 2022, 12:26pm; Reply: 18
Where did it come from then? Have those players put official messages on their Twitter/insta etc….?
Posted by: Hagrid, June 9, 2022, 12:30pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from chaos33
Where did it come from then? Have those players put official messages on their Twitter/insta etc….?

Someone i know in and around the club.

No reason to lie about it, i've posted on here for years and never posted about ins and outs at the club before, Just going off what i was told last night, then about Mani this morning
Posted by: ginnywings, June 9, 2022, 12:34pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Mayaman

So some players where playing themselves out of a job on Sunday.

Nature of the beast. Some will be left by the wayside.
Posted by: Kris2, June 9, 2022, 12:41pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from immariner

If true, Sousa is the only mild surprise from that list. Played a massive part in the play offs and so close to being a quality player. Will get snapped up by a NL club. Looking at his previous clubs, i'd say west Yorkshire is his base. Would put money on both him and the Shop joining York

I'd imagine if he had better finishing skills and composure he could easily be a first team player for any L1 team and maybe even higher. If we do pass on offering him a new deal I'm sure he'll have no problems finding another club, can easily be a first team player for any NL side and contribute something. JMD with a proper pre season behind him to improve fitness levels to standard could offer much more and be a more complete creative midfielder who can score goals.
Posted by: Marinerdan, June 9, 2022, 1:20pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Kris2

I'd imagine if he had better finishing skills and composure he could easily be a first team player for any L1 team and maybe even higher. If we do pass on offering him a new deal I'm sure he'll have no problems finding another club, can easily be a first team player for any NL side and contribute something. JMD with a proper pre season behind him to improve fitness levels to standard could offer much more and be a more complete creative midfielder who can score goals.

I didn’t realise JMD was only 24. He has a great pedigree and loads of natural ability. If anyone can keep him fit and get the most out of him it’s Hurst.
Posted by: Davec, June 9, 2022, 1:24pm; Reply: 23
I imagine the released/retained list will be out at some point today as surely they will not want to overshadow the sponsorship announcement which is tomorrow?

We'll be reporting for pre season training in just a few weeks so the players offered contracts won't have long to decide what to do, also it won't be long before we start making our first signings.
Posted by: Poojah, June 9, 2022, 1:35pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from 123614

First and foremost, let me say 'thank you' for your service to our country. I do not have balls big enough to serve my country in a war zone, I have absolutely no problem admitting that. That said, I do think you're in danger of taking things a tad too seriously here.

Words that people say or write down are not always intended to be taken completely literally. Words can be used figuratively to convey emotion and sentiment. Words too, have scale and nuance. It's hot outside right now, but it's not as hot as the sun.

I've always said that football is the most important thing in my life that doesn't really matter. We saw that when Covid hit. Football, the multi-billion dollar industry that it is suddenly stopped because it wasn't as important as saving the lives of thousands if not millions of people. We've seen it during the World Wars, we've seen it at Bradford, and at Hillsborough. Football results don't really matter.

But what the players of this club have done in recent weeks, and the season as a whole really, is unite a town. My town. They've generated a huge sense of pride in the community. They've lifted the spirits of thousands of people. You never know what people are going through, behind keyboards and behind blue eyes. They've had a huge, positive impact on the lives of a significant number of people, and created memories that will last a lifetime.

I agree that we shouldn't overplay the importance of football, but we shouldn't understate it either.

To me, those players are heroes. Not in the same way that those in battle risk their lives for their country, or the way that others in dangerous, crucial jobs such as those in the emergency services serve their community. But heroes nonetheless.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 9, 2022, 2:09pm; Reply: 25
They are football hero’s for what they have achieved against the odds.  Playing unselfishly for the team.  When exhausted they have excelled and succeeded.  Given local people much pride and joy.

Perhaps more importantly long term, they have inspired many young children to actively support Grimsby Town and football.  The incredible number of new season tickets supports this.

I served in HM Forces for 14 years so understand the sensitivity raised above.  However, there is room for different types of heroes.   I agree with Poojah, who expressed the relevance of football in our lives very accurately.

We will never forget the past.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, June 9, 2022, 2:20pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
They are football hero’s for what they have achieved against the odds.  Playing unselfishly for the team.  When exhausted they have excelled and succeeded.  Given local people much pride and joy.

Perhaps more importantly long term, they have inspired many young children to actively support Grimsby Town and football.  The incredible number of new season tickets supports this.

I served in HM Forces for 14 years so understand the sensitivity raised above.  However, there is room for different types of heroes.   I agree with Poojah, who expressed the relevance of football in our lives very accurately.

We will never forget the past.

That's why Harry & Jamie Redknapp introduced 'top' adverbs into the English language in the 2000s in an effort to eradicate centuries of confusion in situations like this.

So McAtee is a top hero, Paul Hurst is a top, top hero and you can add as many tops as you want to describe people far braver than I.

Posted by: ginnywings, June 9, 2022, 2:43pm; Reply: 27
We can all be Heroes, just for one day.  ;)
Posted by: crusty ole pie, June 9, 2022, 2:58pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from ginnywings

flipping hell that would make a great title for a song lol
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 9, 2022, 3:12pm; Reply: 29
I think Sousa's situation is a bit unfortunate really.  He came here last season with two very experienced professionals seemingly in the pecking order ahead of him, Grant and Scannell.  He was probably expected to play a bit part and work on his game as part of his step up.

Instead because of injuries he became a major outlet for us, to the point that at one point when McAtee was unavailable he was our actual outlet.  

He showed a bit more about him in the play-off games in terms of going to produce an end product and I half expected Hurst would see enough in him to merit developing him for another year.  But I suppose another step-up at 27 might be deemed too much for him.

I think we need to improve our quality out wide.  JMD is under contract and in all honesty I think if his contract was up he could well have been out the door.  Impact on Sunday aside and even factoring in his initial run when he signed, he's looked incredibly unfit since he came back from injury.  I think Hurst sees a role for Scannell and that perhaps limits his options to move someone on to bring better in.  

Mani is the big surprise for me.  Although I've heard we were keen to keep him but he wants to be first choice, which we can't offer so not pursuing any further.  
Posted by: GollyGTFC, June 9, 2022, 3:17pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think Sousa's situation is a bit unfortunate really.  He came here last season with two very experienced professionals seemingly in the pecking order ahead of him, Grant and Scannell.  He was probably expected to play a bit part and work on his game as part of his step up.

Instead because of injuries he became a major outlet for us, to the point that at one point when McAtee was unavailable he was our actual outlet.  

He showed a bit more about him in the play-off games in terms of going to produce an end product and I half expected Hurst would see enough in him to merit developing him for another year.  But I suppose another step-up at 27 might be deemed too much for him.

I think we need to improve our quality out wide.  JMD is under contract and in all honesty I think if his contract was up he could well have been out the door.  Impact on Sunday aside and even factoring in his initial run when he signed, he's looked incredibly unfit since he came back from injury.  I think Hurst sees a role for Scannell and that perhaps limits his options to move someone on to bring better in.  

Mani is the big surprise for me.  Although I've heard we were keen to keep him but he wants to be first choice, which we can't offer so not pursuing any further.  

We all know Sousa lacked end product, but he worked his knackers off every time we was on the pitch including doing his defending. And going forward at times he caused carnage and made space for others such as McAtee to exploit by dragging defenders out of position.

I don’t think he’ll struggle to get himself sorted with a pro deal at a professional club in the NL or maybe even in L2 or maybe in Scotland.
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 9, 2022, 3:23pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from GollyGTFC

We all know Sousa lacked end product, but he worked his knackers off every time we was on the pitch including doing his defending. And going forward at times he caused carnage and made space for others such as McAtee to exploit by dragging defenders out of position.

I don’t think he’ll struggle to get himself sorted with a pro deal at a professional club in the NL or maybe even in L2 or maybe in Scotland.

I agree. He’s one of those players who will always be raw, even at 27, but he’s a menace and is a good outlet, in my opinion. I do trust PH’s decision making, but on this one I do hope the rumours are untrue as I think he could play a role next season.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 9, 2022, 3:31pm; Reply: 32

Mani part makes sense if true.
If we want to have a chance of play-offs, he might not be a starter.

But on his showings for us, he could easily play a big part for a team challenging at the top end of Non-league
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 9, 2022, 3:33pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from ska face

Have a day off.

Long live the heroes of 21/22.

Grow up!

Posted by: DB, June 9, 2022, 3:50pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from 123614

Gold Star Man for me

Posted by: Chrisblor, June 9, 2022, 4:09pm; Reply: 35
I respect John McAtee more than i'll respect any troop!!!!
Posted by: ska face, June 9, 2022, 4:16pm; Reply: 36
At the going down of the sun, we will remember big Gav Holohan smashing home that 96th minute equaliser.
Posted by: male private Nale, June 9, 2022, 4:23pm; Reply: 37
This squad got us promoted with a whole lot of determination and an equal amount of luck.

We finished 6th and was one rash injury time free kick away from going out to notts county.

We need far better quality defensively on both flanks and more clinical end product up top.

If we can keep hold of crocombe, efete, waterfall, fox. Taylor and Clifton together with those that are already here then that’s a good start but other than a fit again scannell the rest don’t cut it.
Posted by: rancido, June 9, 2022, 4:26pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from ginnywings

3rd choice I'd imagine.

Battersby could possibly being lined up as a future first choice or second to Crocombe. I don't think Macca will stay .
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 9, 2022, 4:32pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from male private Nale
This squad got us promoted with a whole lot of determination and an equal amount of luck.

We finished 6th and was one rash injury time free kick away from going out to notts county.

We need far better quality defensively on both flanks and more clinical end product up top.

If we can keep hold of crocombe, efete, waterfall, fox. Taylor and Clifton together with those that are already here then that’s a good start but other than a fit again scannell the rest don’t cut it.

I’m sure he’ll use the loan system again and surprise us with a couple of left field signings. We’ll need a squad of around 25 with three keepers, especially with more midweek matches.
Posted by: pontoonlew, June 9, 2022, 4:45pm; Reply: 40
Whilst lessons need to be learnt from last time we went up, I do feel a lot of individuals in the 2016 team were better than our current lot and some improvements are needed (whilst being wary not to dismantle it).

Sousa isn’t a league footballer IMO so I can see why he’s probably going and for all he made an impact, the general consensus was that Mani wasn’t quite worth a contract overall before the playoffs, my opinion on that hasn’t changed, despite him cementing his place in folklore.

It’s going to be a quick turnaround and I’m really excited to see what we bring in, I think we’re a much more attractive proposition this time round.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 9, 2022, 4:45pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from ginnywings

Ginny, don’t be a hero
Posted by: Poojah, June 9, 2022, 4:56pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from pontoonlew
Whilst lessons need to be learnt from last time we went up, I do feel a lot of individuals in the 2016 team were better than our current lot and some improvements are needed (whilst being wary not to dismantle it).

Sousa isn’t a league footballer IMO so I can see why he’s probably going and for all he made an impact, the general consensus was that Mani wasn’t quite worth a contract overall before the playoffs, my opinion on that hasn’t changed, despite him cementing his place in folklore.

It’s going to be a quick turnaround and I’m really excited to see what we bring in, I think we’re a much more attractive proposition this time round.

You have to differentiate between the players we went up with in 2016 and those who we managed to retain. That summer we lost Tait, Nsiala, Nolan, Arnold and Amond. If they weren’t our best 5 players that season, they were certainly up there.

Of what remained, there’s only really a 2016 Bogle and an ageing Disley that I’d want to bring into this current group, so I’d say that we’re going to go into this season with a better base than we did in 2016. If we can find a way to retain Fox and we can secure Andy Smith on a season-long  loan, then I’d upgrade that statement to ‘much better’.
Posted by: pontoonlew, June 9, 2022, 5:26pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Poojah

You have to differentiate between the players we went up with in 2016 and those who we managed to retain. That summer we lost Tait, Nsiala, Nolan, Arnold and Amond. If they weren’t our best 5 players that season, they were certainly up there.

Of what remained, there’s only really a 2016 Bogle and an ageing Disley that I’d want to bring into this current group, so I’d say that we’re going to go into this season with a better base than we did in 2016. If we can find a way to retain Fox and we can secure Andy Smith on a season-long  loan, then I’d upgrade that statement to ‘much better’.

It’s sort of what I mean, those 5 would walk into this team, we rightfully cite losing those 5 as a reason we struggled but I don’t think it should necessarily be used as a reason we shouldn’t be shaking things up next season. Purely because those 5 were excellent and I think only McAtee and Fox are in their particular category.
Posted by: Posh Harry, June 9, 2022, 5:26pm; Reply: 44
If they are announcing the new sponsors officially tomorrow then hopefully it will be with Fox holding the new shirt with a new 3 year contract signed and sealed.

If carlsberg did announcements……..
Posted by: Son of Cod, June 9, 2022, 5:35pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from ska face
At the going down of the sun, we will remember big Gav Holohan smashing home that 96th minute equaliser.

Like and share to show your respects for Gavan's schlong rangers.
Posted by: Poojah, June 9, 2022, 5:39pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from pontoonlew

It’s sort of what I mean, those 5 would walk into this team, we rightfully cite losing those 5 as a reason we struggled but I don’t think it should necessarily be used as a reason we shouldn’t be shaking things up next season. Purely because those 5 were excellent and I think only McAtee and Fox are in their particular category.

To be fair, we only struggled after Hurst left and Fenty failed to do any due diligence on the mental stability of his successor (and not for the last time, I might add!).

By the time of Hurst’s last game in the dugout, we were 6th after 13 games. Even when we beat Hartlepool away in the January, we were still 10th and only 3 points off the play-offs.

With all due respect, I’d like to think we can do better than the likes of Scott Vernon, Zak Mills and James Berrett this summer. I’m confident.
Posted by: lukeo, June 9, 2022, 5:43pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Bristol Mariner

Always red

God Star from me.
Posted by: aldi_01, June 9, 2022, 6:16pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Poojah

To be fair, we only struggled after Hurst left and Fenty failed to do any due diligence on the mental stability of his successor (and not for the last time, I might add!).

By the time of Hurst’s last game in the dugout, we were 6th after 13 games. Even when we beat Hartlepool away in the January, we were still 10th and only 3 points off the play-offs.

With all due respect, I’d like to think we can do better than the likes of Scott Vernon, Zak Mills and James Berrett this summer. I’m confident.

Weird isn’t it, he made bang average players get us to within touching distance of the playoffs before Fenty was Fenty and we all know what happened.

Zak Mills was one of the better players we’ve had since going up in 2016 but I still think I’d prefer Efete.

Sadly, the likes of Sousa and Mani will always go down in folklore but in truth we wouldn’t be wanting to keep them had we failed to win on Sunday. Hurst knows this and we are likely to wish them well. They seem genuine blokes and in ten years when we do some sort reunion they’ll most definitely get a good round of applause but I’m expecting better to come in.

It’s exciting and the fact we’re all still buzzing will make it even more exciting…
Posted by: ginnywings, June 9, 2022, 6:22pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from rancido

Battersby could possibly being lined up as a future first choice or second to Crocombe. I don't think Macca will stay .

I think he will be 3rd choice behind Crocombe and a new goalie personally. If he is in fact being kept on.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, June 9, 2022, 6:36pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from pontoonlew

Honestly, I would not swap one of the 2016 side for the current team. The national league is much more competitive than in 2016, and this team have performed miracles in getting out of it the first time of asking. Look at 2016 - we had to get past Braintree and a mediocre FGR and compare that to getting past Notts County away Wrexham away and then the final. The 2016 team would not have even gotten to the final this time.

If we play our cards right and make some astute signings we will do very well next season too.
Posted by: Teestogreen, June 9, 2022, 6:42pm; Reply: 51
If it is not broken - don’t fix it.
Maybe ‘tweak’ it
Posted by: male private Nale, June 9, 2022, 6:53pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m sure he’ll use the loan system again and surprise us with a couple of left field signings. We’ll need a squad of around 25 with three keepers, especially with more midweek matches.

you are right he has a knack of bringing in players under the radar . Though now we are EFL the transfer deadline means exactly that doesn’t it ? All loan signings etc. Need to be in by then ?
Posted by: Poojah, June 9, 2022, 7:00pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from aldi_01

Weird isn’t it, he made bang average players get us to within touching distance of the playoffs before Fenty was Fenty and we all know what happened.

Zak Mills was one of the better players we’ve had since going up in 2016 but I still think I’d prefer Efete.

Sadly, the likes of Sousa and Mani will always go down in folklore but in truth we wouldn’t be wanting to keep them had we failed to win on Sunday. Hurst knows this and we are likely to wish them well. They seem genuine blokes and in ten years when we do some sort reunion they’ll most definitely get a good round of applause but I’m expecting better to come in.

It’s exciting and the fact we’re all still buzzing will make it even more exciting…

To be honest I didn't intend that as a slant on Zak Mills; he was alright, especially in the context of a second-choice right back under which he was signed. My overriding point remains though; I still think we are in a better position all round to do a better job of player acquisition this time around.
Posted by: Son of Cod, June 9, 2022, 7:10pm; Reply: 54
Sousa works his absolute bottom into the ground though and we all know Hursty is a sucker for that. I don't think it's a given at all that he is let go. I think we've seen a different side to his game develop as the season has unfolded, in that he's been deployed in a slightly more defensive role which in turn has allowed Fox and Holohan to get up the pitch. I've slated him at times this season and some of it justified as he had some shockers but I think he's been a very useful playoff in the last couple of months. He's played a massive part in our midfield overrunning and turning the opposition over in some key performances.
Posted by: toontown, June 9, 2022, 7:23pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from ginnywings

I think he will be 3rd choice behind Crocombe and a new goalie personally. If he is in fact being kept on.

Yeah I'd be v surprised if that isn't the case
Posted by: TonySmith, June 9, 2022, 7:31pm; Reply: 56
  It seems to me that some people are forgetting that it's not just about 11 first choice players. You need a squad to compete, and some need to be able deputies to be called on when needed due to injuries or suspensions. Given that, there are surely several players in the current squad that it would be great to have as part of the squad who won't necessarily be automatic nailed on starters, or even on the bench, every week. To my mind, Sousa and Mani would definitely be two who would be in that category. Both would be perfectly capable of making a contribution in League Two and could offer something different against tiring defenses late in games.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 9, 2022, 7:44pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from TonySmith
  It seems to me that some people are forgetting that it's not just about 11 first choice players. You need a squad to compete, and some need to be able deputies to be called on when needed due to injuries or suspensions. Given that, there are surely several players in the current squad that it would be great to have as part of the squad who won't necessarily be automatic nailed on starters, or even on the bench, every week. To my mind, Sousa and Mani would definitely be two who would be in that category. Both would be perfectly capable of making a contribution in League Two and could offer something different against tiring defenses late in games.

Don't think anyone is forgetting but if you sign better players, the regulars from this season become the squad members of next season

Natural progression and some will get left by the wayside, despite their achievements. Some were arguing we should keep Ira Jackson this time last year.

Posted by: sam gy, June 9, 2022, 7:52pm; Reply: 58
It’s a bit of a common misconception that the 2016 team was broken up. Reality was, Nolan was too good and went to league one, Toto was done with the club and eventually ended up in league one and we couldn’t keep hold of Tait who went to Motherwell. They were all out of our hands really but yes I’d take them all still!

Amond and Arnold were the really stupid mess ups.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 9, 2022, 7:55pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from TonySmith

It seems to me that you’re forgetting that we’ll have several young pros wanting an opportunity.
Posted by: forza ivano, June 9, 2022, 8:13pm; Reply: 60
tbh I'd say Zak Mills was , and is, a far better right back than Cropper
Posted by: Hagrid, June 9, 2022, 8:32pm; Reply: 61
2 players we have offered deals too have rejected them

We are however putting another contract offer in front of a ponytailed midfielder so we’re doing our best

Other player im not sure on but id suspect we would also be offering fresh terms
Posted by: fishcake63, June 9, 2022, 9:05pm; Reply: 62
Keep updating hagrid i for one appreciate it
Posted by: Hagrid, June 9, 2022, 9:15pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from fishcake63
Keep updating hagrid i for one appreciate it

No problem :)!

Im gonna look more than a mammary if im wrong though😂
Posted by: It Bites, June 9, 2022, 9:21pm; Reply: 64
I suppose it's to be expected . The players fought for the cause and now they're looking after number one. Always the case , loyalty goes out the window now
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, June 9, 2022, 9:23pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from It Bites
I suppose it's to be expected . The players fought for the cause and now they're looking after number one. Always the case , loyalty goes out the window now

Both ways in some cases.

It’s a shït business.
Posted by: codcheeky, June 9, 2022, 9:28pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from It Bites

It’s a short career that a mistimed tackle or a a bad turn could end at any moment. Players have families and their own security to look after. Don’t blame them for making the most of it when their stock is high.  Clubs on the whole are pretty ruthless when it comes to loyalty the other way
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 9, 2022, 9:33pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from codcheeky

It’s a short career that a mistimed tackle or a a bad turn could end at any moment. Players have families and their own security to look after. Don’t blame them for making the most of it when their stock is high.  Clubs on the whole are pretty ruthless when it comes to loyalty the other way

Also; they could easily become the fans favourite boo boy next season. Leave and they are forever held in high regard for their achievement here.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 9, 2022, 9:34pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from It Bites

Their agents will be trying to get their cut too. The last activity on their player’s CV is a promotion which will make them more attractive to others and more expensive to us. It’s a small and understandable consequence of going up.
Posted by: aldi_01, June 9, 2022, 9:37pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Also; they could easily become the fans favourite boo boy next season. Leave and they are forever held in high regard for their achievement here.

This, just look at waterfall. Granted it worked then other way but last year I reckon most of us would’ve moved him on.

Some of our players will have drawn attention and geography and cash talk. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a couple head back in to the conference on better terms. There’s cash in that league and teams busting a gut to get out. Factor in to that that some players may have begun to line up themselves a deal prior to the most amazing two weeks ever.

Football is ruthless and as much as the culture of the club is evolving positively, it’s still a club and we have to make sure we never ever end up in non league again…players will turn us down, we can’t take it personally…
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, June 9, 2022, 9:39pm; Reply: 70
If players do indeed leave at least were in a strong position to replace them with a league club to offer and a club on the up..  every faith in Hurst to sort the team out ready for next season.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, June 9, 2022, 9:40pm; Reply: 71
Patience
We will find out soon enough
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 9, 2022, 9:44pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
If players do indeed leave at least were in a strong position to replace them with a league club to offer and a club on the up..  every faith in Hurst to sort the team out ready for next season.

Look at what Hurst brought in last season when we are at our lowest ebb, from the outside at least. He added players who have made a difference during that miserable run too, notably Amos and Raikhy then added Holohan, Mani and Cropper towards the end of the season.

After Sunday we are probably more marketable than we've been for a long, long time. If Hurst could do what he did in the last year, imagine what he can do now...
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 9, 2022, 9:57pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Hagrid
2 players we have offered deals too have rejected them

We are however putting another contract offer in front of a ponytailed midfielder so we’re doing our best

Other player im not sure on but id suspect we would also be offering fresh terms

How about you think that there might be a reason why we don't know yet? You could also get your source into a lot of trouble which wouldn't be very clever would it...
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, June 9, 2022, 9:57pm; Reply: 74
Kissing the shirt celebratory badge has never impressed me - they will be off to the next highest bidder for their services . Don't blame them in the slightest, but the fact is they don't have the affinity/loyalty to the club that your true supporter has. Times have changed. UTM

affiniity/loyalty that the fans have for their club.UTM.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 9, 2022, 9:57pm; Reply: 75

Both ways in some cases.

It’s a shït business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfionMmCGoU&pbjreload=102
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 10, 2022, 1:41am; Reply: 76
Whatever happens, the players over the past 2 weeks have given more than a vast majority have done over the past couple of decades. As someone eluded to earlier in this thread, we can’t take it personally, it’s the nature of the beast. Wife’s/partners etc may be happy for them to move short term but starting to talk about a definite amount of time (I.e, 2 years) is a whole different conversation.

Players that may have been commuting with others may have found it not possible to do so now which, given the cost of fuel at the moment, would possibly be a key factor
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, June 10, 2022, 7:19am; Reply: 77
Although no surprise, just noticed on York's retained list they've put a * next to loan players who they've offered a contract. Looks like they are after The Shop, fully expect him to land there over the next couple of weeks.
Posted by: Kris2, June 10, 2022, 7:30am; Reply: 78
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
Kissing the shirt celebratory badge has never impressed me - they will be off to the next highest bidder for their services . Don't blame them in the slightest, but the fact is they don't have the affinity/loyalty to the club that your true supporter has. Times have changed. UTM

affiniity/loyalty that the fans have for their club.UTM.

This idea that players should behave like fans and show blind loyalty always seemed odd to me. It's a job, they are paid to win games for GTFC and they have done the job they set out to do this season. I don't know anyone who has turned down the chance for more money or a move to a better location in any career and if I did I'd find them to be a bit dumb. Players performing well will always put themselves in the shop window and if they stay with us it has to make sense, turning down an offer too good to refuse just because they like the club and the fans like them isn't going to happen. Don't view players like fans and don't get butt hurt if they live for a better offer.
Posted by: Youngy, June 10, 2022, 7:36am; Reply: 79
Quoted from Hagrid

Grimsby Live now reporting this. There also reporting they don't think Cropper has been offered new terms.
Posted by: davmariner, June 10, 2022, 8:14am; Reply: 80
I would keep Cropper and replace injury prone Efete.
Posted by: wiggers, June 10, 2022, 8:40am; Reply: 81
I would be happy if we kept Cropper, that said if PH can bring in someone better…..We must keep improving, onwards and upwards. UTM
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, June 10, 2022, 9:09am; Reply: 82
I don't think Cropper is quite to Efete's standard defensively but what he offers with his long throws has proven to be a pivotal attacking weapon.

I thought he had done enough to warrant a 1 year deal. Guess we will wait and see.
Posted by: Mikey_345, June 10, 2022, 9:11am; Reply: 83
With 7 subs and Croppers throw, it's a no brainer for me.
Posted by: Wedidntdidwe, June 10, 2022, 9:12am; Reply: 84
Croppers only 22 so who knows, hard decisions all round for PH.
Posted by: Poojah, June 10, 2022, 9:14am; Reply: 85
Quoted from Mikey_345
With 7 subs and Croppers throw, it's a no brainer for me.

Couldn’t agree more on that. I think he’s a reasonable enough full back, and it would seem a crying shame to see a weapon like that discarded. Football is a game of fine margins, as we’ve all just experienced for ourselves.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, June 10, 2022, 9:18am; Reply: 86
Hoping Cropper is kept on looked to me like there was a lot more to come from him with more game time and some coaching.. think there's a player who we can develop and that throw is mint..
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 10, 2022, 9:19am; Reply: 87
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
I don't think Cropper is quite to Efete's standard defensively but what he offers with his long throws has proven to be a pivotal attacking weapon.

I thought he had done enough to warrant a 1 year deal. Guess we will wait and see.

You say that, but Efete's main strengths are going forward, not defensively IMO
Posted by: MarshMariner, June 10, 2022, 9:23am; Reply: 88
Cropper defensively isn't great, too many crosses are allowed into the box, however the same could be said of our other full backs.  I am hoping he is given another year, Hursty should be able to help his defensive side of his game, being a former full back.  His long throw is really useful...Potential to work with.. :)
Posted by: Mikey_345, June 10, 2022, 9:33am; Reply: 89
Something I think we also need to remember about Cropper is he came in to the club having not played for quite a while and pretty much slotted straight in and has given a really good account of himself.

He is only 22 and has a lot of time ahead to develop and improve. Can't remember him letting us down too much defensively either.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 10, 2022, 9:37am; Reply: 90
Quoted from Mikey_345
Something I think we also need to remember about Cropper is he came in to the club having not played for quite a while and pretty much slotted straight in and has given a really good account of himself.

He is only 22 and has a lot of time ahead to develop and improve. Can't remember him letting us down too much defensively either.

I don't think he's been able to give the best account of himself and a full pre-season would see him improve considerably. I love a long throw and we should ensure we keep it in my opinion.
Posted by: GhostDan, June 10, 2022, 9:41am; Reply: 91
If he's just been released, Giles Coke looks awfullly happy singing Town songs on Holiday with Amos, Waterfall, Taylor and Max Wright!

Totally get we need to improve pretty much all across the board and there's clearly some fringe players nailed on to move on (Burgess, Macca, Crookes etc) but I think I'll be slightly disappointed if there's huge upheaval.  There's a real opportunity for the bulk of this squad, most of whom are pretty young, to move on together and take that bond and team spirit into next season.. sprinkled with 3/4/5 new quality additions.

Even Sousa, who i'm not the biggest fan off and he shouldn't be a started for us in L2, but with 7 Subs next year, you've got somebody who can cover all across the front line and is ideal to come on against tired legs.

UTM!
Posted by: Croxton, June 10, 2022, 9:53am; Reply: 92
Don't see why it's either/or Cropper/ Efete unless Hurst already has a replacement right back in mind.

Efete pulls up in too many games to be relied on especially as he looks the perfect athlete. His storming forward runs are too infrequent and his touch can desert him too often.

Cropper has a lot to learn, especially his passing range, but he has a good engine and offers the overlap when he can. And that throw!  

I'd offer both a one year on similar money and see who bites.
Posted by: Maringer, June 10, 2022, 9:55am; Reply: 93
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner

I'm the other way because I think Cropper is a better defender than Efete! What Efete offers (when fit and in the mood) is the ability to push forward and cause problems in attacking areas. He's a threat from set pieces as well because he's decent in the air. Wouldn't know about Cropper in those cases because he's usually the one lobbing the ball into the box!

It would be surprising to me if Cropper was to be released after all he offered when he came into the team, but perhaps Hurst is thinking about playing differently this coming season? If we're going to potentially be trying wing-backs, he doesn't fit that mould. Not sure Efete does, for that matter, but we'll have to wait and see.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 10, 2022, 10:02am; Reply: 94
Quoted from GhostDan
If he's just been released, Giles Coke looks awfullly happy singing Town songs on Holiday with Amos, Waterfall, Taylor and Max Wright!

Totally get we need to improve pretty much all across the board and there's clearly some fringe players nailed on to move on (Burgess, Macca, Crookes etc) but I think I'll be slightly disappointed if there's huge upheaval.  There's a real opportunity for the bulk of this squad, most of whom are pretty young, to move on together and take that bond and team spirit into next season.. sprinkled with 3/4/5 new quality additions.

Even Sousa, who i'm not the biggest fan off and he shouldn't be a started for us in L2, but with 7 Subs next year, you've got somebody who can cover all across the front line and is ideal to come on against tired legs.

UTM!

Coke, Amos, Waterfall, Taylor and Max Wright!- thats the oddest holiday squad i think i've ever heard of hahah
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 10, 2022, 10:08am; Reply: 95
Quoted from Maringer

I'm the other way because I think Cropper is a better defender than Efete! What Efete offers (when fit and in the mood) is the ability to push forward and cause problems in attacking areas. He's a threat from set pieces as well because he's decent in the air. Wouldn't know about Cropper in those cases because he's usually the one lobbing the ball into the box!

It would be surprising to me if Cropper was to be released after all he offered when he came into the team, but perhaps Hurst is thinking about playing differently this coming season? If we're going to potentially be trying wing-backs, he doesn't fit that mould. Not sure Efete does, for that matter, but we'll have to wait and see.

You can play nice football and still take a long throw in. Lots of lower league teams put the ball into the corner to concede a defensive throw for the opposition. Cropper can help relieve the pressure that puts on us by clearing the halfway line and allowing us to push up.

We have less than 10 corners most games but around 30 throw ins. Not every throw in is attacking and able to reach the box but 30 opportunities to do something with the ball means a great throw in shouldn't be dismissed.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 10, 2022, 10:12am; Reply: 96
Quoted from jamesgtfc

You can play nice football and still take a long throw in. Lots of lower league teams put the ball into the corner to concede a defensive throw for the opposition. Cropper can help relieve the pressure that puts on us by clearing the halfway line and allowing us to push up.

We have less than 10 corners most games but around 30 throw ins. Not every throw in is attacking and able to reach the box but 30 opportunities to do something with the ball means a great throw in shouldn't be dismissed.

Why do we have to have sensible posts!

It’s all about us offering Gareth bale, Ryan Bennett and Jesse lingard this time of the year
Posted by: headingly_mariner, June 10, 2022, 10:31am; Reply: 97
Cropper can throw it miles and is average defensively, but with the ball at his feet he looks like he's never played the game before.

Fully expect him to be released and pick a non league club up.
Posted by: Maringer, June 10, 2022, 10:31am; Reply: 98
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Cropper's long throw and have said as much in the past. My point was that Cropper isn't set up to play as a wing-back - they tend to be a bit quicker and he's not the sort to bomb up and down the line to get crosses in. In fact, not that many full-backs are and you often see wingers being converted into that sort of a role.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 10, 2022, 10:36am; Reply: 99
Personally, I'm hoping that we are looking at full backs of the Danny Andrew/ConorTownsend calibre.

Cropper is ok and has done a job, plus going down in folklore, but we can do better.

I don't get all this sentimentality in keeping the squad together. We should be aiming for league 1 and players more than capable of the next step up and I'm hoping the club has that ambition too.

I am expecting a much improved budget given our promotion, last seasons attendances and mega ST ticket sales.

Posted by: mariner91, June 10, 2022, 11:06am; Reply: 100
Quoted from ginnywings
Personally, I'm hoping that we are looking at full backs of the Danny Andrew/ConorTownsend calibre.

Cropper is ok and has done a job, plus going down in folklore, but we can do better.

I don't get all this sentimentality in keeping the squad together. We should be aiming for league 1 and players more than capable of the next step up and I'm hoping the club has that ambition too.

I am expecting a much improved budget given our promotion, last seasons attendances and mega ST ticket sales.

This in spades. Amos is fine as back up but I'd be disappointed if he was first choice in L2. His deliveries are very inconsistent and defensively he's often caught out. He played very well in the last two games but was actually a liability at Notts defensively. He's very willing and seems a top chap and he'd be great to have in the squad and fight for a place but if we were serious about trying to get up then he can't be first choice. There's a reason that recently promoted Port Vale released him mid-season. Same goes for Cropper.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, June 10, 2022, 11:15am; Reply: 101
Cropper could be used as an emergency keeper as well with how good a shot stopper he was last few games :P
Posted by: GollyGTFC, June 10, 2022, 11:30am; Reply: 102
Quoted from davmariner
I would keep Cropper and replace injury prone Efete.

Yeah, get rid of Efete and keep the guy who was injured for 12 months before he joined Town!

Posted by: davmariner, June 10, 2022, 11:39am; Reply: 103
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Yeah, get rid of Efete and keep the guy who was injured for 12 months before he joined Town!

Efete has been injured on and off all season which has caused us real problems at RB. Cropper had a long term injury which he has now recovered from. It’s apples and oranges in terms of comparison. Much like the stats you always coin!
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 10, 2022, 11:44am; Reply: 104
Efete hasn’t been that injury prone. He played every game prior to going down at Halifax, ie the whole first half of the season. Hoping now he’s a year older, he’ll understand his body better and can manage his hamstrings better. He’s definitely good enough to be a major part of a promotion chasing L2 team. I think Cropper is a decent non league full back. His long throw is a massive asset but I’m not sure he’s a L2 full back, even as a backup. Too many crosses from down his side and he gives the ball away too much.
Posted by: Mikey_345, June 10, 2022, 11:47am; Reply: 105
I don’t know why some seem to be thinking we need some sort of a huge overhaul in terms of full backs. Efete and Cropper are perfectly good options in L2 with maybe competition or an improvement to LB whilst keeping Amos. All are young and have plenty of potential.

We need to add some strength in other areas, would much rather we keep the core of this team together and add to it than think about 2 new full backs as-well as cover for those positions when, at this stage, we don’t really need it.

Resign what we have and add a left back in my opinion.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, June 10, 2022, 11:55am; Reply: 106
Quoted from davmariner

Efete has been injured on and off all season which has caused us real problems at RB. Cropper had a long term injury which he has now recovered from. It’s apples and oranges in terms of comparison. Much like the stats you always coin!

Efete was out for 2 weeks with a hamstring injury after his suspension. He missed 3 weeks after the Solihull home defeat with a hamstring injury. He missed the last 5 weeks of the season with a calf strain and was back in training ahead of the Final. So that's 10 weeks out.

Ben Fox missed 8 weeks with a hamstring injury. Do you think he can't be relied on either?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 10, 2022, 11:56am; Reply: 107
Quoted from Mikey_345
I don’t know why some seem to be thinking we need some sort of a huge overhaul in terms of full backs. Efete and Cropper are perfectly good options in L2 with maybe competition or an improvement to LB whilst keeping Amos. All are young and have plenty of potential.

We need to add some strength in other areas, would much rather we keep the core of this team together and add to it than think about 2 new full backs as-well as cover for those positions when, at this stage, we don’t really need it.

Resign what we have and add a left back in my opinion.

Absolutely this. If you assume that all the loans are going back, never to be seen again then we are very light at CB, need good competition for Holohan and Fox in the middle plus we need a bit more strength in depth up front and out wide.

We've taken on 4 young pros and I don't know how close they are plus we've got 3 in Khouri (who I got told is very, very close to the first team), Goundry and Adlard although I suspect we won't retain all of the 3.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 10, 2022, 12:18pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Absolutely this. If you assume that all the loans are going back, never to be seen again then we are very light at CB, need good competition for Holohan and Fox in the middle plus we need a bit more strength in depth up front and out wide.

We've taken on 4 young pros and I don't know how close they are plus we've got 3 in Khouri (who I got told is very, very close to the first team), Goundry and Adlard although I suspect we won't retain all of the 3.

be amazed if Adlard is retained
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 10, 2022, 12:27pm; Reply: 109
Be both surprised and disappointed if Cropper was released.  All covered above but came in after a lengthy break and started most games.  At times he did look a bit rusty on the deck but I think you'll do well to find many technically sound full-backs at our level.

Cropper strikes me as someone who would be better in a back 3 rather than full-back

For the critique of his defensive abilities, I'd put him above Efete in that regard.  I think Efete is quite average defensively but he makes up for it because he gets up and down the flank so well and often that pins sides back a bit.  But on occasions when wingers went at him, he struggled. Again, it's swings and roundabouts at this level.  Very few who are capable of doing it all.  If they were, they wouldn't be here.

I want subtle improvements this summer.  Right-back is an area I would be comfortable in leaving as is, those two in competition for the slots.  
Posted by: Tommy, June 10, 2022, 12:46pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Cropper can throw it miles and is average defensively, but with the ball at his feet he looks like he's never played the game before.

Fully expect him to be released and pick a non league club up.

As brutal as it may be, this would be my assessment too.

Very limited with the ball at his feet and as useful as the long throw has been in the play offs, yu can't keep someone just for that.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 10, 2022, 1:12pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from Tommy

Very limited with the ball at his feet and as useful as the long throw has been in the play offs, yu can't keep someone just for that.

Given that Cropper’s throws created the winners at Wrexham and West Ham, I’d say really brutal. Beyond that, I thought he played Sbarra pretty well too.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 10, 2022, 1:23pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from Tommy

If we're going to get rid of Cropper we need to be bringing in a better defender who also has a long throw, as without Cropper's long throws we wouldn't be were we are today!
Posted by: pontoonlew, June 10, 2022, 1:37pm; Reply: 113
Ben Tozer has made a career from long throws and Wrexham paid 250k for it. I’ve a feeling Croppers throws would score us more goals than he’d cost us, he’s not the best defensively but he’s certainly not stand out bad.

His throw is a rarity and one that we have and should continue to capitalise on
Posted by: rancido, June 10, 2022, 1:44pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from Mikey_345

IMO Cropper is a better defender than Effete but not so as an attacker. The advantage Cropper has is the long throw which is certainly more accurate than a cross on the run. There will be occasions when either can be utilised dependent on the opposition .
Posted by: quebec38, June 10, 2022, 1:50pm; Reply: 115
I’ve never looked at Cropper and thought he stood out as a bad defender? He’s not the type to fly down the wing on the overlap and get a cross in. He’s an average defender but coupled with his throwing ability he is actually very valuable IMO.

I scoffed when I heard someone suggest he should replace Efete because of his throws whether Efete was fit or not, but they were right. I think his assist numbers have been exaggerated but I can think of at least two huge contributions in the last two games alone.

I will completely contradict myself though and admit if he’s still here at the start of next season I would opt to start Efete 🤣
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 10, 2022, 1:53pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from pontoonlew
Ben Tozer has made a career from long throws and Wrexham paid 250k for it. I’ve a feeling Croppers throws would score us more goals than he’d cost us, he’s not the best defensively but he’s certainly not stand out bad.

Agreed.  The thing with Cropper's throw is that it is a proper weapon.   He doesn't just throw it in there, he absolutely launches it with pace at an angle that I can't quite fathom how he manages is.

Tozer's throw is more of a high and looped one.  I'm not saying it's not dangerous, because it really is, but Cropper's is something else.

I would hate for Town to become Stoke under Tony Pulis and basically revolving the game around a long throw, Cropper going across the pitch at every occasion to lob one in the mixer.  But as an option, it's a bloody good one to have!
Posted by: RonMariner, June 10, 2022, 2:29pm; Reply: 117
Strange isn’t it. You would have thought Wrexham would have had plenty of practice in training in dealing with long throws but Croppers caused them havoc.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 10, 2022, 2:32pm; Reply: 118
I would keep Cropper. Wrexham scored about 15 goals from Tozier throws and Croppers are more dangerous. A really useful weapon to have in our armoury.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 10, 2022, 2:32pm; Reply: 119
I would keep Cropper. Wrexham scored about 15 goals from Tozier throws and Croppers are more dangerous. A really useful weapon to have in our armoury.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 10, 2022, 2:32pm; Reply: 120
Posted by: LH, June 10, 2022, 2:39pm; Reply: 121
Yeah you said, Ron.  ;)
Posted by: Grantley, June 10, 2022, 2:42pm; Reply: 122
Honestly I would keep Cropper over Efete. However, if we kept either of them, I wouldn’t have them as first choice. With Cropper at least, he’s a defender that you can bring on and still contribute to the attack, especially if you’re chasing the game. Efete is certainly better with the ball going forward but I’d rather have a winger whose job it is to do that.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 10, 2022, 2:45pm; Reply: 123
Also he’s a young player and with the experienced defenders on the coaching set up, could be developed further.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 10, 2022, 2:49pm; Reply: 124
Quoted from Grantley
Honestly I would keep Cropper over Efete. However, if we kept either of them, I wouldn’t have them as first choice. With Cropper at least, he’s a defender that you can bring on and still contribute to the attack, especially if you’re chasing the game. Efete is certainly better with the ball going forward but I’d rather have a winger whose job it is to do that.

Efete is the better of the 2. his pace alone helps us out more than anything
Posted by: RonMariner, June 10, 2022, 2:50pm; Reply: 125
Quoted from Hagrid

Efete is the better of the 2. his pace alone helps us out more than anything

I’d keep them both,
Posted by: headingly_mariner, June 10, 2022, 2:58pm; Reply: 126
As if people want us to be like Wrexham. Painful to watch their percentage football getting it into the box as much as possible from anywhere on the pitch.

We are better than that Phil Parkinson nonsense. We had a couple of successes from it, but we also showed some real quality. I better right back than Cropper with or without a long throw is a must.

I think Efete has real quality and would have gone to the league with or without us.
Posted by: pontoonlew, June 10, 2022, 3:04pm; Reply: 127
As if people want us to be like Wrexham. Painful to watch their percentage football getting it into the box as much as possible from anywhere on the pitch.

We are better than that Phil Parkinson nonsense. We had a couple of successes from it, but we also showed some real quality. I better right back than Cropper with or without a long throw is a must.

I think Efete has real quality and would have gone to the league with or without us.

The fact is Croppers throw won us 2 games out of 3, without it we’d have almost certainly been going to pens and could well have been typing in Dorking into the sat nav instead of Doncaster
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, June 10, 2022, 3:23pm; Reply: 128
It's about opinions but the only opinion that matters in the end is Hursty's.

Looking at the contract situation there is bound to be a significant turnover of players.

Of the loanees many would look to bring Andy Smith back. I would go along with that.

Of the out of contract players i think many fit into the 50/50  category of being offered a new deal for me. We do need to continue to improve.

For me Fox, Crocombe, Waterfall would head the list of guys I would definately try to keep.

For whatever reason (lack of playing time under Hurst in the main) time seems up for McKeown Coke, Burgess, Spokes, Crookes, John-Lewis. It would be surprising if any of those were offered a new deal. We thank them for their service with the Mariners.

As for the rest as i say you can make arguments for and against.
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 10, 2022, 3:27pm; Reply: 129

Don't think anyone wants us to become Wrexham and focused solely on a throw-in.  Rather want us to have an alternative option.

Personally I thought it was bloody wonderful in the final few weeks of the season, especially in the play-offs seeing some of the lovely football we played and then mixing it up with a beast of a throw into the box here and there that teams just can't cope with.

Not saying you've got this attitude, but I always struggle why there's almost a snobbery about using a long throw in as an asset.  They're as much a part of the game as a corner or free-kick, more common too.  No-one ever said "Oh, let's not play David Beckham. It's boring watching him whip his set-pieces in".  Yet there's this attitude towards someone launching it in otherwise.  Just baffles me.
Posted by: MarinerDevil, June 10, 2022, 3:50pm; Reply: 130
Abrahams says goodbye.

Thought he always gave 100% and his pace is a real asset.  Should get a National League club if Carlisle don't want him.

https://twitter.com/TAbrahams_/status/1535271331662536709?s=20&t=YRqsw7Oew6mYcV6_VNaicg
Posted by: Maringer, June 10, 2022, 3:57pm; Reply: 131
There's a difference between playing for low throws in the opposition half and having one available in the locker. At the start of the season, I bemoaned the fact that the full-backs didn't have a decent throw on them, not because of its loss as an attacking threat, but because it meant we struggled to get the ball far enough clear at times.

If you have a long throw available and use it well, it doesn't just have to be chucked into the box - you can mix it up with quick throws up the line to be run on to (given the chance) or even getting the ball inside to midfielders more if you work on it. I think Cropper looks a decent defender and he's young and pretty inexperienced (as is Amos) so room for both to improve further in my view. Whether that will be enough for League 2, I'm not sure. We'll have to see what Hurst decides - he generally knows what he's doing when it comes to full-backs!
Posted by: chaos33, June 10, 2022, 3:59pm; Reply: 132
Quoted from MarinerDevil
Abrahams says goodbye.

Thought he always gave 100% and his pace is a real asset.  Should get a National League club if Carlisle don't want him.

https://twitter.com/TAbrahams_/status/1535271331662536709?s=20&t=YRqsw7Oew6mYcV6_VNaicg

Makes me sad. Thank you TA. Huge thank you. Good luck in the future.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, June 10, 2022, 4:05pm; Reply: 133

Don't think anyone wants us to become Wrexham and focused solely on a throw-in.  Rather want us to have an alternative option.

Personally I thought it was bloody wonderful in the final few weeks of the season, especially in the play-offs seeing some of the lovely football we played and then mixing it up with a beast of a throw into the box here and there that teams just can't cope with.

Not saying you've got this attitude, but I always struggle why there's almost a snobbery about using a long throw in as an asset.  They're as much a part of the game as a corner or free-kick, more common too.  No-one ever said "Oh, let's not play David Beckham. It's boring watching him whip his set-pieces in".  Yet there's this attitude towards someone launching it in otherwise.  Just baffles me.

More options we have our armoury the better chance we have of sucess. The difference between us and Wrexham we did not over do using the long throw in, we choose the right moment. I want like to keep Mani, but as impact sub, perhaps Mani wants to be the main striker at a club.
Now the change in the number of subs from 3 to 5, we are going to need quality on the bench, as well as just the starting 11. During the play-offs I thought our bench was stronger and we had different options available.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, June 10, 2022, 4:14pm; Reply: 134
Good luck Tristan. Just don't lower yourself to joining scunny
Posted by: horsforthmariner, June 10, 2022, 4:20pm; Reply: 135
Quoted from AdamHaddock

he's way too good for scunny, think he'll be trying to get a top half NL club
Posted by: PoutonStepover, June 10, 2022, 4:22pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from AdamHaddock

He's still got a year left on his Carlisle contract.
Posted by: It Bites, June 10, 2022, 4:33pm; Reply: 137
I'm actually gutted he's gone ( although expected) . His infectious personality off the pitch and work rate on it played a huge part in helping bond this team . Both he and Mani will leave a gaping hole in that dressing room . Good luck guys 😍😍🙏🙏
Posted by: headingly_mariner, June 10, 2022, 4:42pm; Reply: 138

I've no issue with the long throw, it's a great weapon and if you've got someone on the pitch with one, use it.
I just don't think he's very good, did a great job for us and we benefitted from the long throw, but Efete is far superior and would've played if he was fit. I'd say the threat from Efete is greater without a long throw. David Beckham was a fantastic footballer even without his set pieces.

Having said all that Hurst may feel that Cropper can improve the week parts of his game or be more confident on the ball. To be fair to him he's played very little first team football.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 10, 2022, 4:47pm; Reply: 139
Maybe we'll get Jesus at the centre to replace him.  ;)
Posted by: RonMariner, June 10, 2022, 4:49pm; Reply: 140
Good luck Tristan. We won’t forget you.

You were part of something very special, not just winning the playoffs, but winning back the hope and pride in our club.

This team will always be remembered with affection. You gave us our club back!
Posted by: Meza, June 10, 2022, 4:49pm; Reply: 141
Cropper did ok, but everytime i see him he didn't look like a footballer, and i didn't like how he sometimes controls the ball with the standing on the ball.  Efete is miles better than Cropper.
Posted by: BrMarin, June 10, 2022, 5:18pm; Reply: 142
Efete is better at everything except throws. If there is a space for him, I wouldn't be against keeping Cropper as an option from the bench when chasing a game.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 10, 2022, 5:22pm; Reply: 143
Terry Hall has just informed us that Mcatee has signed a new contract
Posted by: ska face, June 10, 2022, 5:25pm; Reply: 144
Quoted from Hagrid

Special news that
Posted by: It Bites, June 10, 2022, 5:25pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from Hagrid

That's Special........
Posted by: Teesknees, June 10, 2022, 5:26pm; Reply: 146
Quoted from Hagrid

That bloke who was in The Specials?! How would he know!
Posted by: Hagrid, June 10, 2022, 5:28pm; Reply: 147
sorry guys thats going over my head?

is it an 80's thing?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, June 10, 2022, 5:50pm; Reply: 148
Quoted from Hagrid

is it an 80's thing?

Terry Hall’s name sake was one of the vocalists for late 70s, Coventry based, ska band The Specials. Cov had an away kit a couple of years ago inspired by them.
Posted by: forza ivano, June 10, 2022, 5:51pm; Reply: 149
Quoted from Hagrid

is it an 80's thing?

educate yourself and enjoy. if you don't want to dance to the specials , you'll never want to dance!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=skinhead+moonstomp+the+specials+youtube&view=detail&mid=09F267ADAC736EF7EC8209F267ADAC736EF7EC82&FORM=VIRE0&ru=%2fsearch%3fform%3dMOZLBR%26pc%3dMOZD%26q%3dskinhead%2bmoonstomp%2bthe%2bspecials%2byoutube
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 10, 2022, 5:56pm; Reply: 150
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Terry Hall’s name sake was one of the vocalists for late 70s, Coventry based, ska band The Specials. Cov had an away kit a couple of years ago inspired by them.

He’s been living in a ghost town obviously
Posted by: Dad of Plankton, June 10, 2022, 6:02pm; Reply: 151
Trust the Hurst
Posted by: DB, June 10, 2022, 6:10pm; Reply: 152
Quoted from forza ivano

I enjoyed this vid, forgotten all about The Specials. Thank you.

Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, June 10, 2022, 6:12pm; Reply: 153
He’s much to young
Posted by: HerveJosse, June 10, 2022, 6:16pm; Reply: 154
Quoted from Hagrid

Nice teaser but more please?
Extension or just more money because we like him?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 10, 2022, 6:18pm; Reply: 155
Quoted from Hagrid

Clearly as we saw on Tuesday John McAtee is a “fun boy free (3)” I’ll get me coat.
Posted by: MaccasBoots, June 10, 2022, 6:20pm; Reply: 156
Quoted from HerveJosse

Nice teaser but more please?
Extension or just more money because we like him?

Have to imagine it's an extension with an increase in salary - can't see why we would pay him more unless he was extending his contract in return.
Posted by: Mikey_345, June 10, 2022, 6:25pm; Reply: 157
Quoted from Hagrid

Hopefully someone put a contract in-front of him to sign on Tuesday evening…
Posted by: Saudimariner, June 10, 2022, 6:34pm; Reply: 158
Quoted from ska face

Special news that

Did Terry Hall bring Lenny the Lion with him? (one for the oldies among us)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 10, 2022, 6:38pm; Reply: 159
Quoted from GollyGTFC

He’s also a big Man U fan if I recall correctly.
Posted by: Teesknees, June 10, 2022, 6:38pm; Reply: 160
Quoted from Saudimariner

Did Terry Hall bring Lenny the Lion with him? (one for the oldies among us)

Bloody hell you are old!
Posted by: Scenes on toast, June 10, 2022, 7:21pm; Reply: 161
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Clearly as we saw on Tuesday John McAtee is a “fun boy free (3)” I’ll get me coat.

See the lunatics have taken over  asylum 😎😂😂
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 10, 2022, 7:25pm; Reply: 162
Quoted from Scenes on toast

See the lunatics have taken over  asylum 😎😂😂

“our lips are sealed” on that one.
Posted by: Scenes on toast, June 10, 2022, 7:47pm; Reply: 163
Quoted from HertsGTFC

“our lips are sealed” on that one.

😆😆😆👏🏼👏🏼
Posted by: toontown, June 10, 2022, 7:51pm; Reply: 164
I think keeping cropper is a no brainer uf he wants to stay and is affordable. The rule change to 5 subs from 7 really does make it a different game from 3 from 5. He could easily prove his worth being held to come on when chasing games, 3 late late assists from last 6 games he played wasn't it. Madness to throw away that weapon when utilising players as subs suddenly becomes so much easier. As well as being backup on top of that.

I doubt tait or even macca and certainly not effete could have influenced the last 2 playoff games as decisively as he has.
Posted by: Wiley2405, June 10, 2022, 8:09pm; Reply: 165
Keeping Cropper as a half decent full back who I’m sure could slot into CB if needed on the bench with that throw when we have 7 subs to our advantage is an absolute non brainier for me.

Let’s face it if Efete never got injured and we didn’t find the need to sign him would we be where we are today? A football league club? Maybe but I think not.

Give the lad another year, unless there’s another gem out there who is a better full back with an equally good throw.
Posted by: Saudimariner, June 10, 2022, 8:21pm; Reply: 166
Quoted from Teesknees

Bloody hell you are old!

First match in 1958!
Posted by: monkeyboy, June 10, 2022, 8:23pm; Reply: 167
So no retained list yet?
Posted by: moosey_club, June 10, 2022, 8:39pm; Reply: 168
Quoted from pontoonlew

The fact is Croppers throw won us 2 games out of 3, without it we’d have almost certainly been going to pens and could well have been typing in Dorking into the sat nav instead of Doncaster

If you need a sat nav to find Donny you are in trouble 😉
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 10, 2022, 9:10pm; Reply: 169
As well as a few better players getting promoted and the income increase  that the club will get may also allow for a slightly bigger squad with cover in most positions so Efete & Cropper fighting for the RB shirt could be a reality especially considering both offer attacking threats in very different ways. I’d be happy with that TBH.

I’d be more than happy with Glennon & Amos tussling for the LB slot as well.
Posted by: fishcake63, June 10, 2022, 9:27pm; Reply: 170

cropper long throw got us promotion like it or lump it without it was no wrexham winner & possibly no sollihul winner
Posted by: fishcake63, June 10, 2022, 9:30pm; Reply: 171
Quoted from pontoonlew

1000%

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 11, 2022, 8:41am; Reply: 172
Quoted from Hagrid

Who is Terry Hall?

Posted by: LondonMariner43, June 11, 2022, 8:43am; Reply: 173
Quoted from 123614

Who is Terry Hall?

I thought Terry was a Coventry supporter

Posted by: Garth, June 11, 2022, 8:46am; Reply: 174
Quoted from 123614

Who is Terry Hall?

Our main coach
Posted by: Davec, June 11, 2022, 8:46am; Reply: 175
I'm surprised the released/retained list hasn't been announced yet, but I'm not concerned as I'm sure Hurst has spoken to all the players about their futures
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 11, 2022, 9:17am; Reply: 176
Quoted from Garth

Our main coach

Oh, I wonder why I didn't know that.

Posted by: wigworld, June 11, 2022, 9:24am; Reply: 177
Quoted from 123614

Who is Terry Hall?

It's not what he does, it's the way that he does it.
Posted by: Mariner16, June 11, 2022, 11:26am; Reply: 178
The shop has said goodbye on his Instagram.
Posted by: buckstown, June 11, 2022, 11:29am; Reply: 179
Terry Hall used to be the man behind Lenny the lion. No relative of Lenny the shop
Posted by: aldi_01, June 11, 2022, 11:29am; Reply: 180
The cropper long throw will be stuff of legends but unlike Parkinson’s one dimensional rubbish, we don’t use it all the time. Significantly, we used it at key phases of the game and it worked. We can win without it. Wrexham is predictable, Tozer is better than simply chucking it long.

If Wrexham had Paul Hurst, Ardley or even that girl private at Stockport they’d be unstoppable. Why they’re allowing parkinson the summer is beyond me…
Posted by: LondonMariner43, June 11, 2022, 12:20pm; Reply: 181
Quoted from buckstown
Terry Hall used to be the man behind Lenny the lion. No relative of Lenny the shop

Was that during his solo career and before the Specials reformed?
Posted by: topuphere666, June 11, 2022, 12:43pm; Reply: 182
Wishing LJL all the best, he came in and did a job for us. Hopefully he’ll be back at York and will get a good chance in the NL next season.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, June 11, 2022, 12:48pm; Reply: 183
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Was that during his solo career and before the Specials reformed?

My lips are sealed
Posted by: MarinerDevil, June 11, 2022, 1:22pm; Reply: 184
https://twitter.com/mattdeanbbc/status/1535595357622702080?t=hMlnasv0oLE30QpEiaxRlA&s=19
Posted by: supertown, June 11, 2022, 2:07pm; Reply: 185

My lips are sealed

Going round in circles here! Those jokes were pages ago 🙄
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 11, 2022, 2:12pm; Reply: 186
Quoted from supertown

All right. Calm down

Don’t buster bloodvessel over it
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, June 11, 2022, 2:17pm; Reply: 187
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

All right. Calm down

Don’t buster bloodvessel over it

Now that would be just bad manners :)
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, June 11, 2022, 2:24pm; Reply: 188
Quoted from supertown

Blimey chill out, it ain’t what you do it’s the way that do it fella
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 11, 2022, 2:30pm; Reply: 189

Blimey chill out, it ain’t what you do it’s the way that do it fella

That’s what gets results
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, June 11, 2022, 2:46pm; Reply: 190
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

That’s what gets results

Did you try hard?

I saw ‘the’ Terry Hall 2 weeks ago at a festival I played at
Posted by: Hagrid, June 11, 2022, 2:47pm; Reply: 191
Macca Confirms his departure

Probably deserves a thread of its own
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 11, 2022, 2:58pm; Reply: 192

Did you try hard?

I saw ‘the’ Terry Hall 2 weeks ago at a festival I played at

I did. I was really saying something
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 11, 2022, 3:00pm; Reply: 193
The official announcement can't be too far away now as players are starting to announce their departures. I make that 3 players now (McKeown, LJL, Abrahams).
Posted by: forza ivano, June 11, 2022, 3:04pm; Reply: 194
think I'm in danger of being ska'd for life by this thread
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 11, 2022, 3:04pm; Reply: 195
Quoted from forza ivano

Don’t you dare cut that (two) tone here
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, June 11, 2022, 3:05pm; Reply: 196
Quoted from forza ivano

It’s a tale of two tones to be fair
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 11, 2022, 3:06pm; Reply: 197

It’s a tale of two tones to be fair

(The) Beat 😜 you to it old bean
Posted by: GhostDan, June 11, 2022, 3:19pm; Reply: 198
Retained list out at 3.30 according to MD.  Nervous!
Posted by: topuphere666, June 11, 2022, 3:26pm; Reply: 199
List due at 1530hrs according to twitter world
Posted by: Hagrid, June 11, 2022, 3:28pm; Reply: 200
Well am shitting it

Not least for my credibility but because what this squad have done for us over the last few weeks
Posted by: GhostDan, June 11, 2022, 3:30pm; Reply: 201
Under Contract for the 2022/23 season

John McAtee
Shaun Pearson
Jordan Maguire-Drew
Gavan Holohan
David Longe-King
Max Crocombe (Activated additional year)

Offered New Terms with GTFC

Oliver Battersby
Luke Waterfall
Michee Efete
Evan Khouri
Daniel Amos
Jordan Cropper
Ben Fox
Harry Clifton
Sean Scannell
Ryan Taylor

Option Taken On Contract

Jaz Goundry

Loan Players Returning To Parent Clubs

Tristan Abrahams
Emmanuel Dieseruvwe
Arjan Raikhy
Joey Jones
Andy Smith

Youth Team Players Signing Professional Terms

Aaron Braithwaite
Jamie Bramwell
Edwin Essel
Harvey Tomlinson

Players Not Offered New Terms

Luis Adlard
Luke Spokes
Scott Burgess
Giles Coke
Adam Crookes
Erico Sousa
Lenell John-Lewis
James McKeown
Daniel Rose
Max Wright
Posted by: topuphere666, June 11, 2022, 3:32pm; Reply: 202
Fair list, shame Sousa is off.

I hope all those offered terms do end up staying but aren’t needing convincing. The last 2 weeks should have convinced any doubtful minds that this club and town is on the Up.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 11, 2022, 3:32pm; Reply: 203
As expected really

think sousa can count himself a little unlucky

Happy to see Cropper and Taylor offered something

And i know we’re re-discussing with Fox and Harry after our initial offers were turned down
Posted by: GhostDan, June 11, 2022, 3:35pm; Reply: 204
Wonder if Coke being offered a coaching role would be classed as new terms? Or if he is just going?

Shame about Sousa, can’t fault his effort.

Got a horrible feeling Fox will go but hopefully majority of the others will stay.

UTM!
Posted by: GhostDan, June 11, 2022, 3:35pm; Reply: 205
Quoted from Hagrid
As expected really

think sousa can count himself a little unlucky

Happy to see Cropper and Taylor offered something

And i know we’re re-discussing with Fox and Harry after our initial offers were turned down

Is it money with Harry or other clubs interested?
Posted by: Stew0_0, June 11, 2022, 3:37pm; Reply: 206
Surprised option taken on Goundry and Khouri offered new terms.
Shame about Sousa and the sentimental side of me is gutted Max Wright is leaving.
Other than that about right and hope the others sign new deals soon.

UTM
Posted by: Oly1987, June 11, 2022, 3:38pm; Reply: 207
Gutted for Max Wright. Shame his body appears to be made of glass cos he's got some talent. Hope he gets sorted. That said the released list isn't overly surprising
Posted by: Hagrid, June 11, 2022, 3:38pm; Reply: 208
Quoted from GhostDan

Is it money with Harry or other clubs interested?

Theres interest in him, which i thinks to be expected.

But of course- with any player- if they can get more money elsewhere, be foolish to turn that down
Posted by: Mariner93er, June 11, 2022, 3:39pm; Reply: 209
I'd imagine first contract offers are rejected the majority of the time, especially after a successful season. Rejected is probably the wrong word, as it's ultimately a process of negotiating.
Posted by: Posh Harry, June 11, 2022, 3:40pm; Reply: 210
See the cropper not getting a deal was on the Bentley scale 😉
Posted by: mariners1, June 11, 2022, 3:42pm; Reply: 211
Hope we’ve offered fair enough deals to retain all of those offered terms and that all of these will stay. Fingers crossed
Posted by: livvo, June 11, 2022, 3:44pm; Reply: 212
Now
Posted by: Kris2, June 11, 2022, 3:46pm; Reply: 213
Quoted from Mariner93er
I'd imagine first contract offers are rejected the majority of the time, especially after a successful season. Rejected is probably the wrong word, as it's ultimately a process of negotiating.

It puts you in a better negotiating position when you secure promotion and you're a starting regular. I'd expect that securing promotion and becoming a league club again moved the goal posts as far as contract negotiations go and improved offers will be tabled, probably the same with most of the contract negotiations.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, June 11, 2022, 3:48pm; Reply: 214
No idea if the contract offers will be accepted or not but I'm more confident than I would have been in previous years for some reason!
Posted by: MarinerDevil, June 11, 2022, 3:50pm; Reply: 215
No real surprises other than Sousa, but I agree with all of it.  I thought we had options on Waterfall and Efete?  Slightly concerned that they might be poached now.
Posted by: Mayaman, June 11, 2022, 3:51pm; Reply: 216
Gutted about Sousa.  Gave his all for the team.  We all know his weakness but I think he put in some good balls in the final.  I wish the man well.
Posted by: bradzmilne, June 11, 2022, 3:54pm; Reply: 217
I’d imagine we know where we stand with the majority of the lads that we’ve offered contracts to now.

PH will surely go away on holiday for a period of time now and it allows us to continue to release “good news” on slower news days.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 11, 2022, 3:55pm; Reply: 218
Pleased Scannell has been offered a contract.  When fit, he has proved that he offers something different to the team.  And should be able to do this in Div 2.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 11, 2022, 3:57pm; Reply: 219
Quoted from Mayaman
Gutted about Sousa.  Gave his all for the team.  We all know his weakness but I think he put in some good balls in the final.  I wish the man well.

I think we all appreciate Sousa’s effort but, in truth, Scannell’s little run in the team showed up his weaknesses. Wish him well for the future and I’m sure he’ll find a club in the National League.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, June 11, 2022, 4:06pm; Reply: 220
Quoted from MarinerDevil
No real surprises other than Sousa, but I agree with all of it.  I thought we had options on Waterfall and Efete?  Slightly concerned that they might be poached now.

Also surprised Sousa wasn't offered something - for all his limitations he's a great grafter and always provides an outlet. In Hurst we trust so we must have something special up his sleeve...perhaps the boom in ST sales has lifted our sights...

Posted by: lukeo, June 11, 2022, 4:09pm; Reply: 221
I'm actually pleasantly suprised how many have been offered new deals.
What we all need to remember though is some could be reduced terms so I don't expect all of them to re sign.. Either way I'm 100% behind PH. UTM
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, June 11, 2022, 4:21pm; Reply: 222
Only surprised with Max and not Sousa. When Scannell and Max were fit Sousa was behind them in the pecking order.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 11, 2022, 4:27pm; Reply: 223
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
Only surprised with Max and not Sousa. When Scannell and Max were fit Sousa was behind them in the pecking order.

Not sure how you can be surprised with Max tbh
Posted by: DB, June 11, 2022, 4:29pm; Reply: 224
From the list, it looks like Hurst is trying to keep the best part of his squad together. Hopefully, they will all re-sign and then we can build on that. Time will tell.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 11, 2022, 4:36pm; Reply: 225
Quoted from DB
From the list, it looks like Hurst is trying to keep the best part of his squad together. Hopefully, they will all resign and then we can build on that. Time will tell.

Would much rather they re-sign than resign.
Posted by: DB, June 11, 2022, 4:41pm; Reply: 226
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Would much rather they re-sign than resign.

Duly amended, after all what's a hyphen between mates with the same aim. 8)

Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, June 11, 2022, 6:20pm; Reply: 227
A Chesterfield supporting mate of mine has said there is talk around their club threat they are after Waterfall… I’m not giving it much thought tbh and think he’ll stay!
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, June 11, 2022, 6:20pm; Reply: 228
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
A Chesterfield supporting mate of mine has said there is talk around their club that they are after Waterfall… I’m not giving it much thought tbh and think he’ll stay!

Posted by: arryarryarry, June 11, 2022, 6:39pm; Reply: 229
Quoted from Mayaman

I'm not surprised about Sousa, he was left out for a number of games by PH.

Yes he looked good at times going forward but was
a bit of a liability tracking back, just look at Solihull's goal he was in la la land with no one closing down their no 7 who had all the time in the world to cross the ball.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 11, 2022, 6:42pm; Reply: 230
https://mobile.twitter.com/RealCokes/status/1535673514174431232

Pretty emotional message from Coke
Posted by: Poojah, June 11, 2022, 11:23pm; Reply: 231
I do feel for Sousa, much as I did for Nathan Arnold in 2016, even if he’s not quite produced the goods as much as Arnold did. Such a fantastic work ethic for a flair player; he absolutely ran himself into the ground in those play-off games.

I get there are issues with end product at times, but I did wonder if that’s something that could have been coached into him over time. He’s 27 though, not 21, so maybe there’s a worry you can’t teach an old dog new tricks.

It’s hard to argue it’s the wrong decision as Hurst has got just about every major decision absolutely spot on in recent times, but I do feel for the lad.

The solace I take though is that a year ago we gave him the chance to prove himself at a higher level. He’s done that now, been a key part of a stunning end to our season and I suspect will be one of the most sought after targets for top end NL sides in the summer, and that competition will probably earn him the best contract of his career.

Really enjoyable to watch at times. I wish him well.
Posted by: GrimExile, June 11, 2022, 11:38pm; Reply: 232
Quoted from Poojah
I do feel for Sousa, much as I did for Nathan Arnold in 2016, even if he’s not quite produced the goods as much as Arnold did. Such a fantastic work ethic for a flair player; he absolutely ran himself into the ground in those play-off games.

I get there are issues with end product at times, but I did wonder if that’s something that could have been coached into him over time. He’s 27 though, not 21, so maybe there’s a worry you can’t teach an old dog new tricks.

It’s hard to argue it’s the wrong decision as Hurst has got just about every major decision absolutely spot on in recent times, but I do feel for the lad.

The solace I take though is that a year ago we gave him the chance to prove himself at a higher level. He’s done that now, been a key part of a stunning end to our season and I suspect will be one of the most sought after targets for top end NL sides in the summer, and that competition will probably earn him the best contract of his career.

Good post 👏👏👏👏👏👏 I agree with every word.
Posted by: hheh2, June 12, 2022, 12:00am; Reply: 233
Quoted from Poojah

Can only wish Souza well, flarey trickster player with skill to pass multiple opponents but just didn’t materialise with goals and sometimes lacking in the right ending delivery or pass. Reckon Hursty eyeing a winger with total end product for league two.

Posted by: Norseman, June 12, 2022, 12:07am; Reply: 234
Season starts in just over 6 weeks so hope Hurst hasn't given those offered contracts too long to make their minds up
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 8:29am