Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: DB, June 9, 2022, 9:50am
Charles Vernam hasn't resigned for Bradford, would he make a decent No9?

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/sportlatest/20191199.bradford-citys-out-of-contract-trio-wont-hold-back-plans/
Posted by: Hurstomariner, June 9, 2022, 9:54am; Reply: 1
I would put vernam on the radar for signing , very good player and local boy aswell .
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, June 9, 2022, 10:02am; Reply: 2
I would imagine he is going to League One, he came on quite strong towards the end of the year. Last time I checked Bradford were one of the favourites for promotion with Mark Hughes in charge so if he's not wanting to stay there I can't see him coming back to us. Would be nice though.
Posted by: forza ivano, June 9, 2022, 10:13am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
I would imagine he is going to League One, he came on quite strong towards the end of the year. Last time I checked Bradford were one of the favourites for promotion with Mark Hughes in charge so if he's not wanting to stay there I can't see him coming back to us. Would be nice though.

Shurely Shume Mishtake? It should read 'DESPITE Mark Hughes being in charge!
Posted by: petethemariner, June 9, 2022, 10:40am; Reply: 4
IMO Vernam is not an out  and out striker, more of a McAtee type player and i dont really see how you could fit both in the side, i feel sure most would say McAtee is the better player, Vernam scores the odd 'worldy' but often goes missing in games, which McAtee doesnt.
Even if he wanted to come back, he would be a no for me, unless McAtee moves up the leagues (which i hope isnt the case)
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 9, 2022, 10:40am; Reply: 5
To be fair to Hughes, he did alright there back end of last season.  Certainly better than I expected him to do so.  

He won't have gone there for shits and giggles, they'll invest heavily this season.

Regards Vernam, he's not a No 9.  He never really looked like a centre forward when he was here, his best work came from the left hand side of attack.  If he was offered to us in that position, I'd drive him back here myself.  As a central striker, I'll pass.  As pointed out though, he ended the season well and imagine he's got bigger suitors lined up...although he's another who is local and by all accounts has desires to remain local.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, June 9, 2022, 10:52am; Reply: 6
I think he'd be a strong addition as someone who could play off the left or potentially at 10 when McAtee wasn't available.
Posted by: petethemariner, June 9, 2022, 10:59am; Reply: 7
Tom Eaves has been released by Hull, IMO he would be a great signing and would bag a hatfull in L2
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 9, 2022, 11:01am; Reply: 8

Just read Vernam's wiki page  8)

"Vernam was attached to Scunthorpe United as a youth player. In 2012 he was given a six-day trial by Italian giants A.C. Milan, however this did not result in a contract offer and Vernam returned to Scunthorpe"
Posted by: immariner, June 9, 2022, 11:02am; Reply: 9
Quoted from petethemariner
Tom Eaves has been released by Hull, IMO he would be a great signing and would bag a hatfull in L2

He'd be quality. He'll end up at Wednesday or similar I imagine
Posted by: livosnose, June 9, 2022, 11:18am; Reply: 10
Off to Lincoln apparently
Posted by: monkeyboy, June 9, 2022, 12:25pm; Reply: 11
I dont think he cares who he plays for, just follows the money.
Could have signed for again before but snubbed us, do we want players like that?
Posted by: Mariner_501, June 9, 2022, 12:42pm; Reply: 12
Not arsed about him. He may be “local” but is far from a Town fan, so surprised if he chose us over Bradford
Posted by: Posh Harry, June 9, 2022, 1:17pm; Reply: 13
What we have been lacking all season is a serious threat down the left hand side. Clifton is an unbelievable grafter, and we need those in the team/squad, but he is not a wide player. I would welcome him back to fill that role with Harry resorting to a utility/squad player.
Posted by: davmariner, June 9, 2022, 1:18pm; Reply: 14
Let's look to the future and not backwards at players who were mostly mediocre for us.
Posted by: sam gy, June 9, 2022, 1:36pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from monkeyboy
I dont think he cares who he plays for, just follows the money.
Could have signed for again before but snubbed us, do we want players like that?

First went to a team in the league above us after we couldn't even be bothered to trigger an extension in his contract properly, then went to a massive club for lg2 level in Bradford, rather than coming back to us to take part in what would become an unsuccessful relegation battle.

fair play to him i say - players don't owe us anything, it's up to the club to make playing for us a sellable prospect, which i'm convinced we're now doing under the new owners.
Posted by: chaos33, June 9, 2022, 1:39pm; Reply: 16
I’m ambivalent about Vernam. Some examples of him being almost unplayable on his day, but, for me, his day doesn’t happen enough. Might not see a contribution from him for several games, and granted, he mostly played in a cr@p team for us, but his career stats/injury record  are fairly average - think he’s scored something like 27 goals in nigh on 150 appearances. Scored 10 in 42 for Bradford last season which is decent. Good player, but slightly overrated generally IMO.
Posted by: RichMariner, June 9, 2022, 1:47pm; Reply: 17
'His day' is likely to happen more often under Hurst though.

I see him as a wide player in our current system. McAtee in the middle, Vernam on the left, Scannell on the right would be the dream. All fit and firing, we'd be up there in L2. JMD and Sousa in the squad also, we'd have plenty of genuine options up front with Taylor + 1 other target man.
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 9, 2022, 2:59pm; Reply: 18
I agree with your thoughts Rich, but can't imagine Hurst would go as open as that.  

More likely he would have Vernam left, McAtee off the front man and then more of a grafter out wide on the right.  Probably Clifton in fairness, if he stays.  

That way it allows the midfield to shift across, right to left, to accommodate the fact that Vernam can't really track back much.   For all the arguments to get Clifton back in a central role, which I still would like to see, I can completely see the benefits of having him on either flank as his sheer work ethic gives you the flexibility to have someone more of an attack mentality on the opposite flank.

Vernam's time here was blighted by injuries, something that I think he brought with him from Derby too.  Last season's number of appearances maybe suggests he's put that behind him.
Posted by: Poojah, June 9, 2022, 3:21pm; Reply: 19
I’m not sure McAtee suits playing in the centre of the front line, playing on defender’s shoulders. A lot of his goals have seen him come from deep, with defenders flat footed with their backs to goal as he steams through at full speed.

A few examples which spring to mind.

Weymouth: 3:30
https://youtu.be/pIXDk1O4nso

Stockport: 7:15
https://youtu.be/Qpu4U2ZSqe8

Boreham Wood: 2:00
https://youtu.be/txE_BYhfIew

And of course, Solihull: 10:15
https://youtu.be/61q4SO8cJSs

Watching those goals back, particularly the Stockport one, makes you appreciate just what a clever player he is. But I do think he’s best playing off a target man who can hold the ball up and link things up.

I think Taylor has been the perfect foil for him; he just needs to add a few goals to his game.
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 9, 2022, 3:31pm; Reply: 20
I would undoubtedly have him back, but I can see the Lincoln rumour  being true. I saw him in a shop the other day but didn’t ask him what his plans were as I thought he was under contract at Bradford. I’m not sure he’d leave there for us, as despite him being ‘local’, I think he more leans towards our ferrous friends, despite his jubilant celebration in front of them when he scored at Glumford Park!

I bet he’s on a fair wedge too.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 9, 2022, 3:53pm; Reply: 21
Well I can’t hold it against him leaving us last time. BP was a toxic badly run, farce at the time. Dominated by a cheapscate mind set where false economies were the order of the day.

Success in those circumstances was impossible. We are a very different proposition now.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, June 9, 2022, 4:04pm; Reply: 22
Would have Vernam back in a hearty beat, he could play wide in the Sousa or JMD role and also come inside and play the McAtee role if he was ever injuryed or banned.
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, June 9, 2022, 5:39pm; Reply: 23
I play football with a Bradford fan and I asked him about Vernam today and he said that he has been offered a new contract, but hasn't yet decided. So he hasn't re-signed, but equally he hasn't left yet, either. I get the impression he's very popular with Bantams fans too.
Posted by: livosnose, June 9, 2022, 5:49pm; Reply: 24
I play football with a Bradford fan and I asked him about Vernam today and he said that he has been offered a new contract, but hasn't yet decided. So he hasn't re-signed, but equally he hasn't left yet, either. I get the impression he's very popular with Bantams fans too.

my Bradford supporting mates really rate him which is surprising in that they normally think any other town player who plays for them is crap including Hendrie !
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 9, 2022, 5:57pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from livosnose

my Bradford supporting mates really rate him which is surprising in that they normally think any other town player who plays for them is crap including Hendrie !

Hendrie has signed a new two year contract!
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 6:59am