Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: ponnyfan, April 15, 2022, 8:14am
The 2022 National League play-off final is set to be staged at West Ham United's London Stadium, it has been reported. According to the Non-League Football Paper, the match will be held at the London Stadium, which was built for the London 2012 Olympics, on Sunday, June 5.

Let’s hope we make it UTM
Posted by: moosey_club, April 15, 2022, 8:25am; Reply: 1
Hackney Wick here we come
Posted by: Hagrid, April 15, 2022, 8:56am; Reply: 2
excrement choice

National League are a joke
Posted by: crusty ole pie, April 15, 2022, 9:10am; Reply: 3
flipping awful choice
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, April 15, 2022, 9:39am; Reply: 4
Pretty to look at from the outside but it always seems lifeless.
Posted by: lukeo, April 15, 2022, 9:44am; Reply: 5
Hotel and parking booked. 👍
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 15, 2022, 10:05am; Reply: 6
Given that it's jubilee weekend I thought they would move it somewhere outside London.
Posted by: aldi_01, April 15, 2022, 10:20am; Reply: 7
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Given that it's jubilee weekend I thought they would move it somewhere outside London.

I guess they love to keep everything in London and May be they don’t think many will give a excrement about celebrating a woman not dying…

Seems a weird choice and there’s already train disruption that weekend…selfishly, if it’s not at Wembley then a decent northern ground would’ve been better…
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 15, 2022, 10:45am; Reply: 8
Quoted from aldi_01

I guess they love to keep everything in London and May be they don’t think many will give a excrement about celebrating a woman not dying…

Seems a weird choice and there’s already train disruption that weekend…selfishly, if it’s not at Wembley then a decent northern ground would’ve been better…

When you look at the likely make up of a play-offs, a decent northern ground would have made sense logistically for almost all of the probable finalists.
Posted by: It Bites, April 15, 2022, 11:02am; Reply: 9
Awful football stadium . One of the worst I've been too . Considering it's only 10 years old it feels and looks very tired . The concourse is like an add on that was forgotten about . terrible choice for a final imo
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 15, 2022, 12:31pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from It Bites
Awful football stadium . One of the worst I've been too . Considering it's only 10 years old it feels and looks very tired . The concourse is like an add on that was forgotten about . terrible choice for a final imo

You’re completely wrong. It’s not a football stadium.
Posted by: It Bites, April 15, 2022, 12:34pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from GollyGTFC

You’re completely wrong. It’s not a football stadium.

Really ? Thats why I said it's an awful football stadium . I'm sure it's a great athletics stadium . Ffs
Posted by: DB, April 15, 2022, 2:19pm; Reply: 12
At the moment there are 6 northern clubs in the 6 playoff places. Surely a Manchester venue would have been better.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, April 15, 2022, 9:17pm; Reply: 13
flipping outrageous this. Surely the fans of the play off contenders need to be making our feelings heard to the league.
Posted by: Deckhand, April 16, 2022, 6:52am; Reply: 14
Quoted from headingly_mariner
flipping outrageous this. Surely the fans of the play off contenders need to be making our feelings heard to the league.

And then what??🤣🤣
Posted by: ginnywings, April 16, 2022, 9:24am; Reply: 15
It's more about the National League board and their hangers on having their big day out than it is about the teams and their fans.

Another unnecessary junket for the decision makers.
Posted by: LH, April 16, 2022, 9:25am; Reply: 16
A Conference play-off match in a stadium designed for athletics rather than football? I feel like we’ve been here before.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 16, 2022, 11:18am; Reply: 17
Quite easy to get to on the train. Into Kings Cross and then a walk across the road to St.Pancras for the train to Stratford which is about a 10-15 minute walk from the ground.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, April 16, 2022, 11:28am; Reply: 18
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Football authorities have their heads buried in sand this is just another case of someone lining their own pockets.why is the World Cup being played in a desert why are Liverpool man city fans struggling to get to the semi final  when theres a perfectly suitable stadium nearby and now we are told our prestige game is to be played in a athletic stadium.these people need to be more accountable to the fans
Posted by: marinerjase, April 22, 2022, 1:05pm; Reply: 19
Rumours that the National League are now looking at a more ‘convenient’ location to host the play off final than West Ham’s ground.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 22, 2022, 1:10pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from marinerjase
Rumours that the National League are now looking at a more ‘convenient’ location to host the play off final than West Ham’s ground.

But Elliott Jackson EXCLUSIVELY told everyone it was at West Ham's ground?
Posted by: Poojah, April 22, 2022, 1:14pm; Reply: 21
Bit pony that less than two months out we still don’t have an official venue or a date.
Posted by: RichMariner, April 22, 2022, 2:17pm; Reply: 22
It's just poor comms.

I don't think many fans (if any) would kick off if the league came out in the first place and said, for this season at least, it was going to wait until the very last possible (and reasonable) moment before deciding on the venue of the play-off final so that it was in the most convenient location for the likeliest clubs involved.

"Because we know that's what the fans want."

But I bet they're scared that four northern teams would make it, secure Old Trafford, and then the only two southern teams in the play-offs make the final!

They needed to agree it at the start of the season so everyone knew what it would be and couldn't complain. The fact that it's still unknown and up in the air doesn't reflect well on them at all.
Posted by: Son of Cod, April 22, 2022, 2:17pm; Reply: 23
No issue with the location for me. It's easy to get to from pretty much anywhere in East London. Crap stadium though. Emirates or the new Spurs stadium would be better choices when all factors are considered. Or somewhere up North.
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 22, 2022, 2:45pm; Reply: 24
You quite literally couldn't make it up.

As it stands at the minute, the most southerly team in the top 7 is Solihull.  You're talking nearly 3 hours on public transport for them, before you even account in the fact that the game is going to be on a Sunday in the middle of a bumper Bank Holiday, with a congested to hell London and reduced train services.  

Dagenham need to make up 4 points on us in their next 5 games or make up 3 on County, who have a game in hand.  I'm not saying it's unlikely but my money would be no-one dropping out of the top 7 before the end of the season.  The only team with form that suggests otherwise is Chesterfield but they've possibly got enough of a buffer.

If only you could stick a pin more or less in the middle of Wrexham, Halifax, Solihull, Chesterfield, Grimsby and Nottingham and find somewhere that has a large football ground...You know somewhere like Hillsborough (40,000 capacity) or even Elland Road (38,000).  Hell, if you wanted to move away from that central pin and increase capacity options you've got Old Trafford (74,000).  Both the Etihad and Anfield are around the 55,000.  There's loads of more suitable options than anything in London.   The fact Wembley is out of use was as gift to the Conference bigwigs, at a time when they would be able to look at the table and look at what would be best for the majority.

The London Stadium is a horrible and soulless experience.  I went there to watch West Ham v Birmingham in the FA Cup the same day we played Palace, thought it would be the chance to tick of a new ground whilst down there and I expected a good atmosphere.   I couldn't have been more disappointed if I tried.  

Hopefully the rumours of a review are true, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's Ashton Gate again that gets the nod.  Y'know, something that will be best for the fans...
Posted by: Poojah, April 22, 2022, 2:59pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from diehardmariner
You quite literally couldn't make it up.

As it stands at the minute, the most southerly team in the top 7 is Solihull.  You're talking nearly 3 hours on public transport for them, before you even account in the fact that the game is going to be on a Sunday in the middle of a bumper Bank Holiday, with a congested to hell London and reduced train services.  

Dagenham need to make up 4 points on us in their next 5 games or make up 3 on County, who have a game in hand.  I'm not saying it's unlikely but my money would be no-one dropping out of the top 7 before the end of the season.  The only team with form that suggests otherwise is Chesterfield but they've possibly got enough of a buffer.

If only you could stick a pin more or less in the middle of Wrexham, Halifax, Solihull, Chesterfield, Grimsby and Nottingham and find somewhere that has a large football ground...You know somewhere like Hillsborough (40,000 capacity) or even Elland Road (38,000).  Hell, if you wanted to move away from that central pin and increase capacity options you've got Old Trafford (74,000).  Both the Etihad and Anfield are around the 55,000.  There's loads of more suitable options than anything in London.   The fact Wembley is out of use was as gift to the Conference bigwigs, at a time when they would be able to look at the table and look at what would be best for the majority.

The London Stadium is a horrible and soulless experience.  I went there to watch West Ham v Birmingham in the FA Cup the same day we played Palace, thought it would be the chance to tick of a new ground whilst down there and I expected a good atmosphere.   I couldn't have been more disappointed if I tried.  

Hopefully the rumours of a review are true, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's Ashton Gate again that gets the nod.  Y'know, something that will be best for the fans...

To be fair, the National League has staged the play-off final at a northern ground as recently as 2011. At the Etihad in Manchester. When the two play-finalists were Luton and Wimbledon.

I don’t know what to expect, but I don’t expect it to follow sound logic.
Posted by: LH, April 22, 2022, 3:16pm; Reply: 26
A two legged final with the second leg at the team finishing highest would make sense. A flashy stadium final makes sense in the league but the TV viewership will be 5 to low 6 figures. No-one’s really bothered outside of the this league.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 22, 2022, 3:23pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Poojah

To be fair, the National League has staged the play-off final at a northern ground as recently as 2011. At the Etihad in Manchester. When the two play-finalists were Luton and Wimbledon.

I don’t know what to expect, but I don’t expect it to follow sound logic.

As much as I would like Wrexham gone if we don't go up, their arrogance towards this final needing to suit them makes me really hope they don't get to the final.

Given everything that is going on in London that weekend, it does make sense to move this final away from the capital. Most decent stadiums north of Birmingham would be a commute of about 2-3 hours max for the teams currently in the play-off places.

I'm thinking:
Old Trafford
Etihad
Anfield
Goodison Park
St James Park
Stadium of Light
Riverside
Elland Road
Hillsborough
Villa Park
King Power

I'm expecting something to suit Wrexham best though so probably Millenium Stadium, somewhere in Liverpool/Manchester or Ashton Gate.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, April 22, 2022, 3:32pm; Reply: 28
Either of the Manchester stadiums would suit
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 22, 2022, 3:36pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Either of the Manchester stadiums would suit

Old Trafford please. I went to the Etihad about 14/15 years ago to randomly watch Man City v Tottenham in the League Cup with my mates. Truly appreciated how great Berbatov was that night.
Posted by: mimma, April 22, 2022, 3:36pm; Reply: 30
The one thing in short supply in this league is common sense.  Half expect them to move it to St. Mary's stadium Southampton
Posted by: lukeo, April 22, 2022, 4:26pm; Reply: 31
The people who make these decisions probably
A. Don't even have a scooby who's in the play offs atm
B. Even know the location of any of said teams!
Posted by: Gaffer58, April 22, 2022, 5:14pm; Reply: 32
Thinking St James Park would be picked by the suits, and knowing how they operate it could be either Exceter or Newcastle.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, April 22, 2022, 5:24pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from LH
A two legged final with the second leg at the team finishing highest would make sense. A flashy stadium final makes sense in the league but the TV viewership will be 5 to low 6 figures. No-one’s really bothered outside of the this league.

I've read some balderdash on this forum over the years but a two leg final?
Posted by: aldi_01, April 22, 2022, 5:32pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from GYinScuntland

Plenty of countries have had two legged finals…
Posted by: Abdul19, April 22, 2022, 5:40pm; Reply: 35
Plenty of countries like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis.
Posted by: LH, April 22, 2022, 6:13pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from GYinScuntland

Fairest method. A lot can happen in a single game (reds, injuries etc) so seeing who deserves it the most over two games which allows for events to even out is fairest. Has been used elsewhere (Copa Del Rey for one) but dropped in favour of the glitz of a one off final. There’s no glitz in eg Grimsby Town vs Solihull in the fifth tier of English football - I’d rather have fairness.
Posted by: Wiley2405, April 22, 2022, 8:47pm; Reply: 37
Needs to be at Wembley end of. A lot of these players dream of playing  there since they were little kids. Why take that away from them? Say it was us Vs Wrexham you’re gonna need a stadium or at least 60,000 anyway. Don’t know the reason why it’s not at Wembley but ffs, stick with what it is.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 22, 2022, 11:45pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from jamesgtfc

As much as I would like Wrexham gone if we don't go up, their arrogance towards this final needing to suit them makes me really hope they don't get to the final.

Given everything that is going on in London that weekend, it does make sense to move this final away from the capital. Most decent stadiums north of Birmingham would be a commute of about 2-3 hours max for the teams currently in the play-off places.

I'm thinking:
Old Trafford
Etihad
Anfield
Goodison Park
St James Park
Stadium of Light
Riverside
Elland Road
Hillsborough
Villa Park
King Power

I'm expecting something to suit Wrexham best though so probably Millenium Stadium, somewhere in Liverpool/Manchester or Ashton Gate.

The issue is the same as last season. The final is 2-3 weeks after all the Premier League clubs will have hosted their last league match & 4-5 weeks after Championship clubs will have hosted their last regular season league match. No clubs is going to wait that long to stage the National League Promotion Final before starting work on their pitches for next season.

So the options are basically the grounds that also host Rugby League as that's a summer sport & Rugby Union clubs as their regular season ends on the same weekend as the Promotion Final.

All 5 Super League & Premiership sides who play in football stadiums are all away on the Final weekend:-
Bristol (Ashton Gate- 27,000)
Wasps (Coventry Building Society Arena- 32,600)
Huddersfield (John Smith's Stadium - 24,100)
Hull (MKM Stadium- 25,500)
Wigan (DW Stadium- 25,100)

The one other alternative is Wolves (Molineux- 32,000) as they are hosting 2 England UEFA Nations League fixtures on 11th & 14th June so their pitch will still be ready.

Given that Solihull will be the most southern based club in the Play-offs (assuming it's Wrexham, Halifax, Solihull, Notts, Grimsby & Chesterfield) you would hope that Bristol will be excluded as it would appear London Stadium has been.

I'd guess Coventry or Wolverhampton would be the most likely venues.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 22, 2022, 11:49pm; Reply: 39
*London Irish play at Brentford of course. Irish's final home match is 1st May though.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, April 23, 2022, 12:03am; Reply: 40
Brenford not big enough if it’s two of the brotherhood. If it’s Solihull v Halifax - what about Kings Lynn hosting it…?

Looking at the above options -  my money is on Coventry. FACov are away at Leicester, they own it and are skint (Its Franchise at Coventry BTW and Coventry City fans want them to FACov back to London as they should).
Posted by: Youngy, April 23, 2022, 6:06am; Reply: 41
How about Molineux? It's hosting the England Nation League games the week after so the pitch will be already prepared for use, Midland's location and decent capacity.
Posted by: oochiad, April 23, 2022, 8:47am; Reply: 42
Wolves would be a squeeze if it was Wrexham v Town……
Posted by: pizzzza, April 23, 2022, 9:12am; Reply: 43
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Brenford not big enough if it’s two of the brotherhood. If it’s Solihull v Halifax - what about Kings Lynn hosting it…?

Looking at the above options -  my money is on Coventry. FACov are away at Leicester, they own it and are skint (Its Franchise at Coventry BTW and Coventry City fans want them to FACov back to London as they should).

You can FACov with that idea.
Posted by: toontown, April 23, 2022, 10:36am; Reply: 44
I would rather a weekend in London and everyone be guaranteed a ticket, so London stadium would be preferable to me.

Not sure how many we would take to a final at wolves or cov (nowhere near as many as Wembley tho) But if it was against Wrexham maybe might sell out? A weekend in the Birmingham area is most unattractive, I think I'd actually prefer Hull...

Its a shame it's not Wembley as it would be a lost opportunity for town to build support for the next season, games at Wembley always attract more and people who wouldn't normally go, and some of them get a taste for it. If you win its a great way of building momentum that no other stadium offers.

Also a weekend of brummie accents would sound excrement!
Posted by: Phil the cod, April 23, 2022, 12:24pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from ponnyfan
The 2022 National League play-off final is set to be staged at West Ham United's London Stadium, it has been reported. According to the Non-League Football Paper, the match will be held at the London Stadium, which was built for the London 2012 Olympics, on Sunday, June 5.

Let’s hope we make it UTM

It true, and if we make it there, I won't be going.cant stand London.
Years ago f.a. cup semis would be played at either villa or sheff weds.
Then, for the sake of money/southern teams semis were played at Wembley, devaluing the experience of the final itself.
I envisage it will be us v Wrexham in the final, so play it in Manchester.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, April 23, 2022, 12:49pm; Reply: 46
Not wanting to jump the gun but what substitute for the Wemberlee chant would we sing?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 23, 2022, 12:54pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Not wanting to jump the gun but what substitute for the Wemberlee chant would we sing?

Coventreee, Coventreee, we're the mighty Grimsby Town and we're off to Coventreee?
Posted by: Green27, April 23, 2022, 1:05pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Coventreee, Coventreee, we're the mighty Grimsby Town and we're off to Coventreee?

That was certainly true under Fenty
Posted by: GrimExile, April 23, 2022, 1:07pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Phil the cod

It true, and if we make it there, I won't be going.cant stand London.
Years ago f.a. cup semis would be played at either villa or sheff weds.
Then, for the sake of money/southern teams semis were played at Wembley, devaluing the experience of the final itself.
I envisage it will be us v Wrexham in the final, so play it in Manchester.

If the only reason you won’t go to the playoff final, if we get there, is because you don’t like London then I do wonder how committed a town fan you are. #UTM
Posted by: aldi_01, April 23, 2022, 1:12pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from GrimExile

If the only reason you won’t go to the playoff final, if we get there, is because you don’t like London then I do wonder how committed a town fan you are. #UTM

I’d hazard a guess that he’s a urine poor attempt at a wind up merchant…
Posted by: GrimExile, April 23, 2022, 1:18pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from aldi_01

I’d hazard a guess that he’s a urine poor attempt at a wind up merchant…

I hadn’t thought of that!!

Mind you I’m shocked, are there wind up merchants on here?!! Surely not!! 😁😁😁
Posted by: Yossarian, April 23, 2022, 2:10pm; Reply: 52
It does seem like an odd choice - a stadium that is reviled in most quarters.  I've not been myself for football, only going to the Olympics back in 2012).  Its a massive bowl.  A friend who is a West Ham fan hates the place and stopped going.

Given the NL playoff final only usually gets c15-25k then there are so many other options.  I was just looking at the previous finlas - Bristol Rovers v Town was 47,000 was the biggest.  Given the teams potentially involved there will probably be somewhere around 25-30k involved again this time.  

I wonder whether the "transport" issues have been discussioned by the NL have basically said  "oh, it must be easier to get to that there London than Manchester/Leicester/Leeds/etc"

I do live down in  London, but find the obsession with playing such games down here as rather unimaginative thinking.  So many better options.
Posted by: hampshiremariner, April 23, 2022, 5:30pm; Reply: 53
Wembley has always been the traditional venue, so why not this year? But if there are 25-30000 in the LS the atmosphere will be fine. I think WH are happier there now and a bit more settled, perhaps because they are winning more games there.

The football authorities just do not think about the people who matter, ie the fans. They point blank refused to move the Liverpool/City FA Cup semi-final on a weekend when there were no trains. Despite the Mayors of both cities inteveneing they did not listen. It was a disgrace.
Posted by: Gaffer58, April 23, 2022, 5:41pm; Reply: 54
The suits were never going to pick a northern ground, Jubilee weekend in London they were never leaving London.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 23, 2022, 6:05pm; Reply: 55
Wherever the final takes place, if we are in it, our fans will arrive in numbers whatever.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 24, 2022, 4:51pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Gaffer58
The suits were never going to pick a northern ground, Jubilee weekend in London they were never leaving London.

You know the National League is based in Birmingham city centre a short walk from New Street Station?
Posted by: Gaffer58, April 24, 2022, 8:47pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from GollyGTFC

You know the National League is based in Birmingham city centre a short walk from New Street Station?

So there were always going to pick a London ground, now feel sympathy with them  having to live and work in Birmingham.
Posted by: soccerexpress fc, April 25, 2022, 11:22am; Reply: 58
What an aweful Choice Train Problems Siver jubilee
Its not fair the norterners have to travel South Again
Coach travel is dearer cos of the fuel
We will be operating Coach Travel if you make it
put your name down and how many seats you would require
email:info@soccerexpress.co.uk
We will let you know the cost nearer the time
We will have Coach & Hotel Packages available @ £110.95!
Posted by: Poojah, April 25, 2022, 11:23am; Reply: 59
Quoted from soccerexpress fc
What an aweful Choice Train Problems Siver jubilee
Its not fair the norterners have to travel South Again
Coach travel is dearer cos of the fuel
We will be operating Coach Travel if you make it
put your name down and how many seats you would require
email:info@soccerexpress.co.uk
We will let you know the cost nearer the time
We will have Coach & Hotel Packages available @ £110.95!

Shall we get to the final first?
Posted by: Hagrid, April 25, 2022, 11:23am; Reply: 60
Really terrible choice, and discontent for fans. Again
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 25, 2022, 11:48am; Reply: 61
Still hopefull they move it to at least the midlands
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 25, 2022, 11:54am; Reply: 62
I’ll be furious if the final clashes with the Silver Jubilee weekend. I wasn’t alive in 1977.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 25, 2022, 12:20pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I’ll be furious if the final clashes with the Silver Jubilee weekend. I wasn’t alive in 1977.

You didn’t miss much tbh
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, April 25, 2022, 1:22pm; Reply: 64
Its been confirmed for 3pm5th June at the London stadium.  If we get there I don't suppose people will care where it is to be honest.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 25, 2022, 2:37pm; Reply: 65
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61217814
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 25, 2022, 3:06pm; Reply: 66
"It is a fantastic sporting arena with a rich history and very befitting of our showpiece promotion final," said the National League's general manager Mark Ive.
What a load of boollocks its 20 yrs old cost investors/lottery funding and taxpayers a loss in billions (ie taking into account cost of staging the olympics for which it was built) and no direct public transport link to anywhere much north of the M25
Posted by: pizzzza, April 25, 2022, 3:24pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Madeleymariner
What a load of boollocks its 20 yrs old

You're being generous there, it only opened 10 yrs ago

Posted by: Limerick Mariner, April 25, 2022, 3:54pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

You didn’t miss much tbh

Missed a great song by the Sex Pistols…
Posted by: RichMariner, April 25, 2022, 3:59pm; Reply: 69
"Fantastic sporting arena" - yeah, maybe, in 2012 for the Olympics.

Note the use of the word 'sporting'. He could've said 'fantastic football arena' but didn't, because he can't.

I work with a big West Ham fan who says he's never felt love for the stadium and even when they've had great results there (including this season's European run) the atmosphere hasn't been close to what they used to generate at Upton Park.

I'm sure other Hammers may disagree but he says it needs more redevelopment work to make it into a football stadium. The Spurs stadium is an example of what it should be like.

I mean, we don't get a say in the matter, do we? We'll turn up if we get there because you don't turn down those sorts of opportunities. There will be a big crowd and the NL will see that as justification.

Doesn't matter that it could've generated a better atmosphere, a bigger crowd and a more preferable experience all round for the fans if they held it at a venue that wasn't in a capital city on the jubilee weekend when everything will be rammed and mega expensive.
Posted by: Gaffer58, April 25, 2022, 4:54pm; Reply: 70
Really looking forward to the final, if we make it, be nice to watch the long jumpers, javelin throwers, 400 metre hurdles etc during the half time entertainment.
Posted by: RonMariner, April 25, 2022, 4:56pm; Reply: 71
What is it about people who get to be running football? It seems they never understand, or maybe care, about the needs and desires of real fans.
Posted by: Poojah, April 25, 2022, 5:38pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from RonMariner
What is it about people who get to be running football? It seems they never understand, or maybe care, about the needs and desires of real fans.

It’s more basic than that really. With a very high level of probability, the final is going two involve two sides no further south than Solihull. In the event that any two from Town, Wrexham, Notts County or Chesterfield make the final, a venue in the north or midlands is likely to result in a crowd close to 50,000.

At London Stadium you can probably knock 20,000 off that figure, so at an average ticket price of £30 that’s £600k in revenue right there, not to mention all the ancillary income from food and drink sales.

Logistically, I understand and appreciate it’s not always easy to switch venues at the drop of a hat, but given what we now know about the likely play-off candidates I’d be working day and night to find a more suitable location.

It’s just bad business on every level.
Posted by: golfer, April 25, 2022, 5:43pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Wiley2405
Needs to be at Wembley end of. A lot of these players dream of playing  there since they were little kids. Why take that away from them? Say it was us Vs Wrexham you’re gonna need a stadium or at least 60,000 anyway. Don’t know the reason why it’s not at Wembley but ffs, stick with what it is.

Womens Euros
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 25, 2022, 6:10pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from pizzzza

You're being generous there, it only opened 10 yrs ago

My fat fingers :(
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 25, 2022, 6:35pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from Poojah

It’s more basic than that really. With a very high level of probability, the final is going two involve two sides no further south than Solihull. In the event that any two from Town, Wrexham, Notts County or Chesterfield make the final, a venue in the north or midlands is likely to result in a crowd close to 50,000.

At London Stadium you can probably knock 20,000 off that figure, so at an average ticket price of £30 that’s £600k in revenue right there, not to mention all the ancillary income from food and drink sales.

Logistically, I understand and appreciate it’s not always easy to switch venues at the drop of a hat, but given what we now know about the likely play-off candidates I’d be working day and night to find a more suitable location.

It’s just bad business on every level.

Are there any publicly funded stadiums north of London that need to host as many events as possible to pay off the cost of building though?
Posted by: Norseman, April 25, 2022, 11:48pm; Reply: 76
Grimsby 10k 5th June .Looks like I will have to miss it this year
Posted by: Son of Cod, April 26, 2022, 2:14pm; Reply: 77
"It is a fantastic sporting arena with a rich history and very befitting of our showpiece promotion final," said the National League's general manager Mark Ive.
What a load of boollocks its 20 yrs old cost investors/lottery funding and taxpayers a loss in billions (ie taking into account cost of staging the olympics for which it was built) and no direct public transport link to anywhere much north of the M25

A lot to criticise about this decision, but you can't berate the transport links. Once you get into London it's incredibly well connected. Loads of good spots for boozing in East London too for anyone looking for positives.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, April 26, 2022, 2:44pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from Son of Cod

A lot to criticise about this decision, but you can't berate the transport links. Once you get into London it's incredibly well connected. Loads of good spots for boozing in East London too for anyone looking for positives.

Yes it’s dead easy if everything is working and affordable - no engineering works on the rail fecking up timings with reasonably priced rail fares and match tickets. As it is we probably won’t have any of those and a northern or midlands stadium would be quicker, easier and cheaper by coach or car.

Posted by: Poojah, April 26, 2022, 2:51pm; Reply: 79
Wrexham more miffed about the date than the venue, it seems. It (sort) of clashes with Wales’ World Cup play-off decider with either Scotland or Ukraine.

https://www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/news/2022/april/statement--vanarama-national-league-play-off-final/

The statement reads almost like they’re there already.
Posted by: Phil the cod, April 26, 2022, 3:40pm; Reply: 80
It's all got to be "about London" if it's two northern teams they should have it up here or at least villas ground. This shitty league is so south biased it's unreal.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 26, 2022, 4:08pm; Reply: 81
Took a quick look at public transport Return ticket for me £142 plus arsing about getting to StPancras from Euston. Then to Stratford, but it being a Sunday one part of the route is guaranteed closed. Add about £30/£40 quid a ticket, Lunch £30 if I'm stingy (well I am a skinflint to be honest) and suddenly its over £200 for 90 mins football and probably a load of travel hassle, if we do get there I think this could be the first time I dont bother going for a final. :'(
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 26, 2022, 4:29pm; Reply: 82
Took a quick look at public transport Return ticket for me £142 plus arsing about getting to StPancras from Euston. Then to Stratford, but it being a Sunday one part of the route is guaranteed closed. Add about £30/£40 quid a ticket, Lunch £30 if I'm stingy (well I am a skinflint to be honest) and suddenly its over £200 for 90 mins football and probably a load of travel hassle, if we do get there I think this could be the first time I dont bother going for a final. :'(

I presume your username is because you live in Madeley?

If so… Crewe to London Euston by train…

Buy a Crewe to Stafford cheap day return @ £13.10
Buy a Stafford to Nuneaton cheap day return @ £8.20
Buy singles for Nuneaton to/from Euston which is approx £50-60

That saves you £70ish on just buying a return ticket.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, April 26, 2022, 5:04pm; Reply: 83
Drive to Peterborough fuel cost £40 return? fast train day return £50 incl tube - loads of trains no works showing. Budget hotel Peterborough £30 - missing Town getting promoted - lifetime of regret…
Posted by: Phil the cod, April 26, 2022, 5:30pm; Reply: 84

Maybe if we all boycotted the final in London the authorities might just think about moving it to somewhere more convenient and affordable to northern based supporters.
But sadly,this would mean people coming together to affect a positive change, a bit too much to expect in our cellular society.
Wouldn't happen in Germany,the fans wouldn't have it.
Posted by: Civvy at last, April 26, 2022, 6:16pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from Phil the cod

Maybe if we all boycotted the final in London the authorities might just think about moving it to somewhere more convenient and affordable to northern based supporters.
But sadly,this would mean people coming together to affect a positive change, a bit too much to expect in our cellular society.

I think it’s a cracking idea Phil.
Please do.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, April 26, 2022, 6:20pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from Phil the cod

In Germany, the match tickets wouldn't be more than 20 euro and the trains would be half our train fares as well.

Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 26, 2022, 6:23pm; Reply: 87
Drive to Peterborough fuel cost £40 return? fast train day return £50 incl tube - loads of trains no works showing. Budget hotel Peterborough £30 - missing Town getting promoted - lifetime of regret…

I drove to Peterborough the other week with the wife and kids. £50 return for all 4 of us which was loads cheaper than from anywhere closer to Grimsby.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 26, 2022, 6:29pm; Reply: 88
We have the best and biggest away support in the league so for some to say I am not going because of where the final is being played is very poor indeed.

Go and support our team ( if we get there ) and see us get back into the league at our first attempt.

I would be there but I am having open heart surgery about then so I can not attend.
Posted by: MarinerWY, April 26, 2022, 6:39pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from Phil the cod

It's a big ask, boycotting a play off final with a chance to get out of non-league. Its not like boycotting the Papa John's Trohpy.

I absolutely hate the decision to hold it at West Ham, its London-centricity taken to the extreme when there is no logical reason to have it in London given the weekend its on, the teams in contention and the fact that the sentimentality/symbolism of playing Wembley Stadium isn't a factor.

Yet if we get to the final, I'll be there, without a shadow of a doubt.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, April 26, 2022, 6:48pm; Reply: 90

In Germany, the match tickets wouldn't be more than 20 euro and the trains would be half our train fares as well.

Match ticket covers public transport for a few hours before and after the game.
I've actually gone Hamburg to Berlin using one.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 26, 2022, 7:00pm; Reply: 91

This is my thinking but hotels for thirty notes in pboro I can’t find them mate
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, April 26, 2022, 9:07pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

This is my thinking but hotels for thirty notes in pboro I can’t find them mate

Just saw the price for Travelodge Central - available now but non refundable. I don’t need one - one of the kids will be press ganged into driving me so I can have a few stouts…
Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 26, 2022, 10:05pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from grimsby pete
We have the best and biggest away support in the league so for some to say I am not going because of where the final is being played is very poor indeed.

Go and support our team ( if we get there ) and see us get back into the league at our first attempt.

I would be there but I am having open heart surgery about then so I can not attend.

Understand your sentiment Pete, however there’s more obstacles than there should be. We’ve booked a couple of Premier Inn rooms on Flex but you’re looking at £100 a room minimum now. London is rammed that weekend.
Posted by: Chrisblor, April 26, 2022, 11:15pm; Reply: 94
I'll be boycotting the playoff final should we make it since i'll be stuck on a holiday i've had booked for about 14 months, most likely sat in my airbnb trying to get BT Sport working on a VPN 🙃
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), April 27, 2022, 9:03am; Reply: 95
As soon as I hear the rumours I said there no way I was going. When it became official I was scathing. No way am I going.

Last night bought me and the lad return tickets for £70. Refundable.
Posted by: Posh Harry, April 27, 2022, 1:04pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from grimsby pete

Hi Pete

Whatever happens, if you are going through surgery like that I would avoid looking at any more town scores or news until august, will not help that heart one bit!!

Good luck though mate, these things are a lot more common than they used to be so hopefully everything will be fine. Fingers crossed for you.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 27, 2022, 2:06pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from GollyGTFC

You didn't miss anything

The best thing about it was the Sex Pistols version of God Save The Queen
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 27, 2022, 2:13pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from Posh Harry

Hi Pete

Whatever happens, if you are going through surgery like that I would avoid looking at any more town scores or news until august, will not help that heart one bit!!

Good luck though mate, these things are a lot more common than they used to be so hopefully everything will be fine. Fingers crossed for you.

Second that Pete

Hope all goes well with the surgery and that you'll soon be back to good health
Posted by: RonMariner, April 27, 2022, 2:23pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Second that Pete

Hope all goes well with the surgery and that you'll soon be back to good health

Yes indeed.

WHS.
Posted by: Mrbump53, April 27, 2022, 2:24pm; Reply: 100
The final would be in London due to the sponsors and other income so irrespective of what the fans want the decision is based on other factors. Interesting comment that need a stadium of more than 60000 as GTFC/Bristol Rovers set the record attendance of just over 47,000 so not sure that a stadium with a very large capacity is required.

As for boycotting the final this will not achieve anything apart from diminishing the support to the team. It will not affect the decision for the final this year or next year or any year so in my view such a boycott would not make any difference. I will be there if we get to the final so I can support GTFC (and celebrate our return to the football league).
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 27, 2022, 3:44pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from Mrbump53
The final would be in London due to the sponsors and other income so irrespective of what the fans want the decision is based on other factors. Interesting comment that need a stadium of more than 60000 as GTFC/Bristol Rovers set the record attendance of just over 47,000 so not sure that a stadium with a very large capacity is required.

As for boycotting the final this will not achieve anything apart from diminishing the support to the team. It will not affect the decision for the final this year or next year or any year so in my view such a boycott would not make any difference. I will be there if we get to the final so I can support GTFC (and celebrate our return to the football league).

How do you explain it being in Bristol last season then?
Posted by: Hagrid, April 27, 2022, 4:26pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I was gonna say the Euros but only affected Wembley didnt it?

Lets just say because those on the NL board are completely incompetent
Posted by: Mayaman, April 29, 2022, 11:53am; Reply: 103
[quote=231]

Just saw the price for Travelodge Central - available now but non refundable. I don’t need one - one of the kids will be press ganged into driving me so I can have a few stouts…
[/quot

Giving West Ham fans the chance to kick some Northern heads in - priceless.
Posted by: Mrbump53, April 29, 2022, 1:15pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from GollyGTFC

This was due to Euro Final bookings and that there were restrictions on large public events at the time of booking. It would seem that the sponsors were not willing to commit money to a large stadium as potentially there would not be a large crowd to see it and there was still a risk of a potential lockdown so Ashton Gate (which only holds 27,000) was chosen. Again the fans were not part of the equation for deciding where to hold the final.
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 7:06am