Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: The Yard Dog, April 2, 2022, 6:32pm
Boreham Wood remaining fixtures, 4 against teams in the Play-offs, plus 2 against teams directly below the play-offs, also 12 games in 6 weeks

Sat 2 Apr             H     Woking
Tue 5 Apr             A      Dagenham & Redbridge     
Sat 9 Apr             A     Aldershot Town                
Fri 15 Apr             H     Dover Athletic                
Mon 18 Apr     A     Wealdstone           
Sat 23 Apr     H     Bromley     
Tue 26 Apr     A     Southend United           
Sat 30 Apr     A     Stockport County                
Mon 2 May     H     Wrexham     
Sat 7 May        A     Yeovil Town                
Tue 10 May     A     Grimsby Town          
Sun 15 May     H     Solihull Moors     

Notts County much easier run no games against teams in or all the play-offs.

Sat 9 Apr             A     Torquay United           
Fri 15 Apr             H     King's Lynn Town     
Sat 23 Apr     H     Weymouth     
Tue 26 Apr     A     Dover Athletic     
Sat 30 Apr     A     Aldershot Town     
Mon 2 May     H     Dover Athletic     
Sat 7 May             H     Altrincham          
Sun 15 May     A     Maidenhead United     

Chesterfield played a game more than us, 2 against teams in the play-offs and 1 against a team a team directly below the play-offs.

Sat 9 Apr             A     Wealdstone     
Mon 18 Apr     A     FC Halifax Town     
Sat 23 Apr     H     Dover Athletic     
Sat 30 Apr     A     Bromley     
Mon 2 May     H     Stockport County     
Sat 7 May       A     Torquay United     
Sun 15 May     H     Woking     

Solihull Moors played a game less than us, but a tough run in 6 aways 3 against teams in the play-offs and 3 againsy teams directly below the play-offs.

Tue 5 Apr             A     FC Halifax Town     
Sat 9 Apr             A     Barnet           
Fri 15 Apr             A     Wrexham          
Mon 18 Apr     A     Stockport County     
Sat 23 Apr     H     Aldershot Town     
Sat 30 Apr     A     Weymouth                
Mon 2 May     H     Bromley     
Sat 7 May       H     Dagenham & Redbridge     
Sun 15 May     A     Boreham Wood     

Grimsby 1 against a play-off team and Boreham Wood to come to Blundel Park

Sat 9 Apr             A     Weymouth     
Fri 15 Apr             H     Stockport County          
Mon 18 Apr     A     King's Lynn Town           
Sat 23 Apr     H     Torquay United           
Sat 30 Apr     A     Barnet     
Sat 7 May             H     Maidenhead United     
Tue 10 May     H     Boreham Wood           
Sun 15 May     A     Eastleigh           

Bromley 2 against teams in the play-offs and 2 against teams directly below the play-offs, plus a final at Wembley the following week after the last game of the season.

Tue 5 Apr             A     King's Lynn Town     
Sat 9 Apr             H     Dagenham & Redbridge     
Fri 15 Apr        A     Eastleigh     
Mon 18 Apr     H     Maidenhead United           
Sat 23 Apr     A     Boreham Wood           
Tue 26 Apr     H     Aldershot Town           
Sat 30 Apr     H     Chesterfield           
Mon 2 May     A     Solihull Moors     
Sat 7 May       H     Dover Athletic           
Tue 10 May     H     Altrincham     
Sun 15 May     A     Barnet     
Posted by: ginnywings, April 2, 2022, 6:47pm; Reply: 1
Notts County run in couldn't be better if they had hand picked it.

Plenty to play for and it's in our own hands. If we keep up this run of form, we will make it.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 2, 2022, 6:55pm; Reply: 2
Borehamwood at home is going to be pivotal I reckon.
Posted by: HerveJosse, April 2, 2022, 7:06pm; Reply: 3
Looking at remaining fixtures  and form we can overhaul Chesterfield and hold off BW and Bromley leaving us 6th  5 th would be better as it gives us a home game in first eliminator . Can see us overhauling Notts County so would have to be Solihull or Possibly Halifax who I still don’t rate but keep winning so far
Posted by: fishcake63, April 2, 2022, 8:40pm; Reply: 4
Would be made up with 7th i fear nobody after watching that today
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 2, 2022, 9:18pm; Reply: 5
Boreham Wood lost at home tonight against Woking (10 men).  This helps a lot.

By the time Boreham come to BP they might be exhausted by their heavy backlog of fixtures.
Posted by: SouthLakesMariner, April 3, 2022, 1:00am; Reply: 6
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Boreham Wood lost at home tonight against Woking (10 men).  This helps a lot.

By the time Boreham come to BP they might be exhausted by their heavy backlog of fixtures.

And potentially demoralised if results continue to go badly.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 3, 2022, 8:04am; Reply: 7
Is it coincidence that Boreham Wood's form's dropped since their gaffer started chatting to Frank Lampard?
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, April 3, 2022, 8:21am; Reply: 8
Crazy that 6 out of the 8 stockport county fixtures are against playoff teams and the other two are torquay and yeovil aswell. Makes you think maybe they just got completely lucky with their fixture list to end up with a nice gap at the top like that, and maybe even the title race isnt quite over
Posted by: DaleH, April 3, 2022, 8:27am; Reply: 9
Some interesting twists and turns left yet, at the business end of the season.

Lots to be hopeful for, and great to be hitting a run of good form at a crucial time.

Certainly going to be a nervy few weeks, but a few weeks nevertheless, where we can all enjoy and embrace the challenges.

I’ve just got this feeling that there’s going to be some massive play off game between us and Notts County

#UTM
Posted by: golfer, April 3, 2022, 8:43am; Reply: 10
Looking at our remaining fixtures it is quite feasible that we could win every game - piece of pisss
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 3, 2022, 10:28am; Reply: 11
Quoted from golfer
Looking at our remaining fixtures it is quite feasible that we could win every game - piece of pisss

After yesterday if I was a Town player I'd be going into each game thinking we could win it, I think post match PH referenced this. I'd also think we could at least avoid defeat versus Stockport,  
Posted by: Poojah, April 3, 2022, 12:33pm; Reply: 12
5 of our remaining 8 games are against sides in the bottom 8, none of which have any realistic chance of changing their relegation status. I’d say that’s pretty favourable.

Stockport is the obvious fixture you’d rather not have in there - their league form since Challinor took over is unreal. That said, they were beaten by Wrexham 2-0 yesterday (albeit in the first and fifth minutes of injury time) so there is no need to fear them.

We seem to be getting players back at the right time, and with a lot of 6 pointers ahead for our rivals I feel confident in our chances. If we can make the play-offs, we’ll have peaked at the right time.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, April 3, 2022, 12:51pm; Reply: 13
Wouldn't worry about other teams. We'll make the play offs no problem at all. It's just a case of where we finish and I'm backing us for third and an easier route to league 2.
Posted by: AussieMariner, April 3, 2022, 4:23pm; Reply: 14
It strikes me as no coincidence that 2 of our best results of the season have come in front of massive away followings.
I didn’t make it yesterday due to Covid, but away at Notts County we swarmed all over them and were irresistible. It sounded similar yesterday but with more quality in front of goal. I don’t think we’ve got the quality to play defensively and nick a win, but when we’re really at it we can roll over any team in this division.
If I’m right, and the sheer volume of our away support lifts the players to the extent it seems to, it bodes well for the play offs if we make them.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, April 3, 2022, 4:32pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from HertsGTFC

After yesterday if I was a Town player I'd be going into each game thinking we could win it, I think post match PH referenced this. I'd also think we could at least avoid defeat versus Stockport,  

6 out of stockports last 8 games are playoff teams, and all 8 are top half teams, I honestly think a bit of luck with how their fixture list has turned out is why they are clear at the top, I dont think theyre a level above any of the top 8 teams
Posted by: lukeo, April 3, 2022, 5:23pm; Reply: 16
Crazy that 6 out of the 8 stockport county fixtures are against playoff teams and the other two are torquay and yeovil aswell. Makes you think maybe they just got completely lucky with their fixture list to end up with a nice gap at the top like that, and maybe even the title race isnt quite over

I hope it is. I hope they win every single game except the one against us!
Posted by: ginnywings, April 3, 2022, 6:10pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Poojah
5 of our remaining 8 games are against sides in the bottom 8, none of which have any realistic chance of changing their relegation status. I’d say that’s pretty favourable.

Stockport is the obvious fixture you’d rather not have in there - their league form since Challinor took over is unreal. That said, they were beaten by Wrexham 2-0 yesterday (albeit in the first and fifth minutes of injury time) so there is no need to fear them.

We seem to be getting players back at the right time, and with a lot of 6 pointers ahead for our rivals I feel confident in our chances. If we can make the play-offs, we’ll have peaked at the right time.

As impressive as the Stockport run is, over the last ten games, nine of which they have won, their opponents haven't been of the highest calibre. They have played most of the also rans and the bottom two, both of which were only 1-0 wins. Wealdstone were beating them 2-0 at half time before they turned it around. The only impressive result from that 10 game run is a 3-0 win against Notts County, who are a bit up and down.

I think we ourselves had a similar period at the start of the season when we had an easy-ish run.

I still think Stockport are the team to beat and will win the league, but I'm not sure they are miles ahead of everyone else.

We'll find out over the next couple of months.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 3, 2022, 10:01pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from AussieMariner
It strikes me as no coincidence that 2 of our best results of the season have come in front of massive away followings.
I didn’t make it yesterday due to Covid, but away at Notts County we swarmed all over them and were irresistible. It sounded similar yesterday but with more quality in front of goal. I don’t think we’ve got the quality to play defensively and nick a win, but when we’re really at it we can roll over any team in this division.
If I’m right, and the sheer volume of our away support lifts the players to the extent it seems to, it bodes well for the play offs if we make them.

I would also say that Notts County and Chesterfield are more likely to come at you and present you with opportunities than the likes of Wealdstone, Weymouth, King's Lynn etc who are happy to try grind out a point against us at home. Our fans play a huge part too though and naturally it's much easier for fans to get excited about the likes of Notts County and Chesterfield too.

Our form against our likely play-off opponents has been terrible in the main part but the result yesterday should make them all worry about facing us now.
Posted by: oochiad, April 3, 2022, 10:30pm; Reply: 19
We really need to raise the noise volume at home, as of late it’s been very flat compared to our away enthusiasm to sing through out a whole game……
Posted by: The Yard Dog, April 5, 2022, 5:38pm; Reply: 20
Like the Palace fans are, always a brilliant atmosphere when at home, especially under the lights. Smashed Arsenal last night, the crowd played their part, constant noise, keeping the tempo going.

Really impressed with Conor Gallagher.

UTM
Posted by: oochiad, April 5, 2022, 6:03pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from The Yard Dog
Like the Palace fans are, always a brilliant atmosphere when at home, especially under the lights. Smashed Arsenal last night, the crowd played their part, constant noise, keeping the tempo going.

Really impressed with Conor Gallagher.

UTM

Good point about the crowd playing there part. BP is way to quiet of late, we really need to make it like our away support for the last run of games.
Posted by: Grimal, April 5, 2022, 6:10pm; Reply: 22
It's now getting to the business end of the season and as such there are quite a few teams down the bottom that will be fighting for their survival to stay in this division,can't see any team parking the bus and settling for a point,there will be no easy games for any of us promotion hopefuls.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, April 6, 2022, 1:36pm; Reply: 23
I'm not sure if the club are looking at it but I think we need some sort of pre-match entertainment at home to get the crowd lifted before the kick off.

Something like we had a season or two ago when IIRC there was a DJ belting out some songs from the open corner.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, April 6, 2022, 7:54pm; Reply: 24
I never used to bet on football after March because you get so many freak results.
Posted by: White_shorts, April 7, 2022, 3:58pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from The Yard Dog
Boreham Wood remaining fixtures, 4 against teams in the Play-offs, plus 2 against teams directly below the play-offs, also 12 games in 6 weeks

Sat 2 Apr             H     Woking
Tue 5 Apr             A      Dagenham & Redbridge     
Sat 9 Apr             A     Aldershot Town                
Fri 15 Apr             H     Dover Athletic                
Mon 18 Apr     A     Wealdstone           
Sat 23 Apr     H     Bromley     
Tue 26 Apr     A     Southend United           
Sat 30 Apr     A     Stockport County                
Mon 2 May     H     Wrexham     
Sat 7 May        A     Yeovil Town                
Tue 10 May     A     Grimsby Town          
Sun 15 May     H     Solihull Moors     

Notts County much easier run no games against teams in or all the play-offs.

Sat 9 Apr             A     Torquay United           
Fri 15 Apr             H     King's Lynn Town     
Sat 23 Apr     H     Weymouth     
Tue 26 Apr     A     Dover Athletic     
Sat 30 Apr     A     Aldershot Town     
Mon 2 May     H     Dover Athletic     
Sat 7 May             H     Altrincham          
Sun 15 May     A     Maidenhead United     

Chesterfield played a game more than us, 2 against teams in the play-offs and 1 against a team a team directly below the play-offs.

Sat 9 Apr             A     Wealdstone     
Mon 18 Apr     A     FC Halifax Town     
Sat 23 Apr     H     Dover Athletic     
Sat 30 Apr     A     Bromley     
Mon 2 May     H     Stockport County     
Sat 7 May       A     Torquay United     
Sun 15 May     H     Woking     

Solihull Moors played a game less than us, but a tough run in 6 aways 3 against teams in the play-offs and 3 againsy teams directly below the play-offs.

Tue 5 Apr             A     FC Halifax Town     
Sat 9 Apr             A     Barnet           
Fri 15 Apr             A     Wrexham          
Mon 18 Apr     A     Stockport County     
Sat 23 Apr     H     Aldershot Town     
Sat 30 Apr     A     Weymouth                
Mon 2 May     H     Bromley     
Sat 7 May       H     Dagenham & Redbridge     
Sun 15 May     A     Boreham Wood     

Grimsby 1 against a play-off team and Boreham Wood to come to Blundel Park

Sat 9 Apr             A     Weymouth     
Fri 15 Apr             H     Stockport County          
Mon 18 Apr     A     King's Lynn Town           
Sat 23 Apr     H     Torquay United           
Sat 30 Apr     A     Barnet     
Sat 7 May             H     Maidenhead United     
Tue 10 May     H     Boreham Wood           
Sun 15 May     A     Eastleigh           

Bromley 2 against teams in the play-offs and 2 against teams directly below the play-offs, plus a final at Wembley the following week after the last game of the season.

Tue 5 Apr             A     King's Lynn Town     
Sat 9 Apr             H     Dagenham & Redbridge     
Fri 15 Apr        A     Eastleigh     
Mon 18 Apr     H     Maidenhead United           
Sat 23 Apr     A     Boreham Wood           
Tue 26 Apr     H     Aldershot Town           
Sat 30 Apr     H     Chesterfield           
Mon 2 May     A     Solihull Moors     
Sat 7 May       H     Dover Athletic           
Tue 10 May     H     Altrincham     
Sun 15 May     A     Barnet     

You didn't list Halifax. Perhaps you assume they will win most of their remaining games (home in capitals):

WOKING, Altrincham, CHESTERFIELD, Southend, YEOVIL, Eastleigh, ALDERSHOT, Stockport.

Dagenham's games:

Bromley, BARNET, Aldershot, KING'S LYNN, Wealdstone, TORQUAY, Solihull, WREXHAM.

I agree Notts County have an easy run-in, so perhaps 5th is the best we can achieve. That will likely mean Wrexham away in the semi. I would rather play Hollywood FC at Wembley.
Posted by: SouthLakesMariner, April 7, 2022, 11:49pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from White_shorts

You didn't list Halifax. Perhaps you assume they will win most of their remaining games (home in capitals):

WOKING, Altrincham, CHESTERFIELD, Southend, YEOVIL, Eastleigh, ALDERSHOT, Stockport.

Dagenham's games:

Bromley, BARNET, Aldershot, KING'S LYNN, Wealdstone, TORQUAY, Solihull, WREXHAM.

I agree Notts County have an easy run-in, so perhaps 5th is the best we can achieve. That will likely mean Wrexham away in the semi. I would rather play Hollywood FC at Wembley.

I think I’d rather play Stockport in the play-offs than Wrexham who seem to be flying at the moment. Won’t be easy for them to overhaul Stockport, but we can play our part in that by getting a result against them next week. Sew some seeds of doubt and if they did miss out on the auto spot, might find it hard to lift themselves in the play-offs.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 8, 2022, 8:30am; Reply: 27
Quoted from SouthLakesMariner

I think I’d rather play Stockport in the play-offs than Wrexham who seem to be flying at the moment. Won’t be easy for them to overhaul Stockport, but we can play our part in that by getting a result against them next week. Sew some seeds of doubt and if they did miss out on the auto spot, might find it hard to lift themselves in the play-offs.

Halifax have known for long enough that they won't catch Stockport so I think they are a big threat; especially if Wrexham topple Stockport. We just have to focus on ourselves though and put absolutely everything into 2 or 3 cup finals assuming we finish top 7.
Posted by: Poojah, April 8, 2022, 8:45am; Reply: 28
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Halifax have known for long enough that they won't catch Stockport so I think they are a big threat; especially if Wrexham topple Stockport. We just have to focus on ourselves though and put absolutely everything into 2 or 3 cup finals assuming we finish top 7.

Halifax are a funny one. I can only go on what what I’ve seen of them, but whilst they were a stoppage time equaliser away from taking all 6 points off us, they played us twice during that rotten run and I wasn’t overly impressed by them in either game.

In fact, both of those matches were typical of our performances during that run - Town missing a number of good chances then getting punished for a single mistake. They weren’t light years ahead of us, even at that point in time.

I’d fancy us to do them, third-time lucky.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 8, 2022, 9:12am; Reply: 29
Quoted from Poojah

Halifax are a funny one. I can only go on what what I’ve seen of them, but whilst they were a stoppage time equaliser away from taking all 6 points off us, they played us twice during that rotten run and I wasn’t overly impressed by them in either game.

In fact, both of those matches were typical of our performances during that run - Town missing a number of good chances then getting punished for a single mistake. They weren’t light years ahead of us, even at that point in time.

I’d fancy us to do them, third-time lucky.

Football is a funny old game. I only saw the home game but I thought they had a game plan and almost executed it to perfection. Yes we had chances, but it took an absolute beauty of a cross in the last minute to get something from that game. They went 1-0 up and then kept their shape very well but I think our relatively poor results against our play-off rivals can work in our favour. I don't think we played badly against Halifax at home, I just thought Halifax were a very well drilled team but here is the team from that game below with probable replacements in brackets. The only substitute from that game still available for selection is Max Wright which makes our bench much stronger.

Crocombe
Efete (Cropper)
Waterfall
Pearson (Smith)
Crookes (Amos)
Maguire-Drew
Coke (Holohan)
Fox
Clifton
Esteves Sousa (McAtee)
Taylor

Substitutes
Longe-King (Pearson)
Revan (Crookes/Efete)
Wright (Scannell/Sousa)
Hunt (Jones)
Bell (Dieseruvwe/Abrahams)
Posted by: horsforthmariner, April 8, 2022, 10:26am; Reply: 30
I thought we were much the better side at home (watched it on TV) and my Halifax supporting team agreed.

In the away match one Pearson error cost us but that was much more even. I wish I hadn't gone to that game twenty quid, freezing game, got beat, caught Covid. Joyous.
Posted by: Hagrid, April 8, 2022, 10:39am; Reply: 31
Quoted from horsforthmariner
I thought we were much the better side at home (watched it on TV) and my Halifax supporting team agreed.

In the away match one Pearson error cost us but that was much more even. I wish I hadn't gone to that game twenty quid, freezing game, got beat, caught Covid. Joyous.

im sure it was Crookes

And we havent seen him since!
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, April 8, 2022, 12:14pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Football is a funny old game. I only saw the home game but I thought they had a game plan and almost executed it to perfection. Yes we had chances, but it took an absolute beauty of a cross in the last minute to get something from that game. They went 1-0 up and then kept their shape very well but I think our relatively poor results against our play-off rivals can work in our favour. I don't think we played badly against Halifax at home, I just thought Halifax were a very well drilled team but here is the team from that game below with probable replacements in brackets. The only substitute from that game still available for selection is Max Wright which makes our bench much stronger.

Crocombe
Efete (Cropper)
Waterfall
Pearson (Smith)
Crookes (Amos)
Maguire-Drew
Coke (Holohan)
Fox
Clifton
Esteves Sousa (McAtee)
Taylor

Substitutes
Longe-King (Pearson)
Revan (Crookes/Efete)
Wright (Scannell/Sousa)
Hunt (Jones)
Bell (Dieseruvwe/Abrahams)

Actually starting to not look that poor. We have parity with north / midlands big clubs so far with Stockport at home to come. With Wrexham, Notts and Chesterfield we are up on goal difference and in terms of the game time we've probably been on top for the bigger percentage.

The problem has been the London plumbers teams plus Solihull and Halifax. With Halifax we deserved parity on the play and maybe Solihull will be like Braintree last time; struggled against them but finally overpowered them with a bit of luck at the death in play-offs...
Print page generated: May 23, 2024, 5:30am