Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: marinerjase, February 20, 2022, 12:11pm
Chesterfield v Wrexham
Notts C v Halifax

And games for most others.

Not sure what best outcome would be for us to keep us in with a shout, guess only bonus is at least 2 sides are going to drop points.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, February 20, 2022, 12:12pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from marinerjase
Chesterfield v Wrexham
Notts C v Halifax

Not sure what best outcome would be for us to keep us in with a shout, guess only bonus is at least 2 sides are going to drop points.

I see that another Chesterfield player suffered a broken leg yesterday.
Posted by: Poojah, February 20, 2022, 12:23pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I see that another Chesterfield player suffered a broken leg yesterday.

That’s some seriously rotten luck for Chesterfield. Unlike Tshimanga’s, which was unfortunate more than anything else, this one looks a really nasty tackle. No red card for the Solihull player either. Stockport’s title to lose now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SpireiteAlex/status/1495339185930129410
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 20, 2022, 1:19pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from marinerjase
Chesterfield v Wrexham
Notts C v Halifax

I think wins for Halifax & Chesterfield would probably suit us best.
Posted by: lukeo, February 20, 2022, 1:27pm; Reply: 4
Agree with the above.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, February 20, 2022, 2:35pm; Reply: 5
Draws all around as it's dropped points for everyone.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 20, 2022, 7:42pm; Reply: 6
Without looking at the numbers 0-0 draws all round and a few red cards.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 20, 2022, 7:43pm; Reply: 7
Is this the evening we were due to play Altrincham at home?
Posted by: ginnywings, February 20, 2022, 7:52pm; Reply: 8
You can tie yourself in knots thinking what the best results would be, but a lot can change over the course of a season. What looks a good result for us now, may turn out to be a bad one in the long run.

We just have to win as many as we can and see where we end up. Hopefully that will be in the top 7 and then we get to see who our opponents would be in any play off scenario.

Just hope we are in the shake up at the end and anything can happen in one off games.
Posted by: Heisenberg, February 20, 2022, 7:53pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Les Brechin
Is this the evening we were due to play Altrincham at home?

Well, I met a bloke walking his dog yesterday who said he was looking forward to the game this Tuesday, until I pointed out I had already seen us play Altrincham at home a few weeks back! He seemed pretty put out!
Posted by: barralad, February 21, 2022, 9:06am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Poojah

That’s some seriously rotten luck for Chesterfield. Unlike Tshimanga’s, which was unfortunate more than anything else, this one looks a really nasty tackle. No red card for the Solihull player either. Stockport’s title to lose now.

Not even a free kick...astounding from a ref five yards away
Posted by: pen penfras, February 21, 2022, 3:51pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Poojah

Am I the only one that looks at that and thinks it looks like a good tackle? He definitely wins the ball and doesn't appear to have both feet off the ground in that video.

It's rotten luck for sure and I feel for him, but I've seen far worse challenges go unpunished.
Posted by: supertown, February 21, 2022, 4:08pm; Reply: 12
50/50 ball , not a shocking challenge at all, just very unlucky
Posted by: Hagrid, February 22, 2022, 11:47am; Reply: 13
certainly some interesting games tonight

and could do with results going our way
Posted by: Poojah, February 22, 2022, 12:16pm; Reply: 14
Conventional wisdom says we want a Chesterfield win tonight, but I’m not so sure; Wrexham couldn’t have asked for a better time to play them.

Manager unexpectedly forced out, two players (including their star striker) out with broken legs in two weeks, their captain suspended for three games, no wins in three and right off the back of a 3-2 home defeat having been 2-0 up.

I’d throw it out there and say that if Wrexham win tonight, Chesterfield will be the more catchable of the two. They have a hellish looking March, too - a lot will come down to their mental fortitude in the coming weeks I expect.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, February 22, 2022, 12:58pm; Reply: 15
It’s not like challinor hasn’t got anywhere before with legs being broken.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 22, 2022, 7:54pm; Reply: 16

Solihull Moors 1-0 Wealdstone

Eastleigh 1-0 Southend

Posted by: promotion plaice, February 22, 2022, 8:04pm; Reply: 17

Notts County 0-1 Halifax
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 22, 2022, 8:23pm; Reply: 18

Weymouth 1-0 Bromley  :)
Posted by: Poojah, February 22, 2022, 8:25pm; Reply: 19
Wealdstone equalise at Solihull. Results looking quite good for Town as we approach half-time. Long way to go though.
Posted by: Hagrid, February 22, 2022, 8:29pm; Reply: 20
Notts 1-Halifax 1

Halifax down to 10
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 22, 2022, 8:33pm; Reply: 21

Hull 0-2 Barnsley  8)
Posted by: supertown, February 22, 2022, 8:35pm; Reply: 22
I’d take full time now 😬
Posted by: Poojah, February 22, 2022, 8:41pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Hagrid
Notts 1-Halifax 1

Halifax down to 10

1-1 there wouldn’t actually be a bad result if Halifax could hold out. As it currently stands, 2 points separate 4th and 8th position, with Town a further 3 points behind in 9th.

With Boreham Wood only 2 points further ahead and a hellishly congested fixture list, there’s potentially quite a lot to go at of Town can put a run together (and it’s immaterial anyway if we can’t).
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 22, 2022, 9:02pm; Reply: 24

Chesterfield 0-1 Wrexham
Posted by: Hagrid, February 22, 2022, 9:04pm; Reply: 25
Bromley Equalise
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, February 22, 2022, 9:10pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from promotion plaice

Chesterfield 0-1 Wrexham

Watch them furlough their entire team and fans
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 22, 2022, 9:15pm; Reply: 27

Chesterfield 0-2 Wrexham

The wheels are falling off
Posted by: Hagrid, February 22, 2022, 9:23pm; Reply: 28
Bromley 2-2 weymouth
Posted by: Hagrid, February 22, 2022, 9:28pm; Reply: 29
Solihull take the lead
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, February 22, 2022, 9:47pm; Reply: 30
Could be down to us to help decide the title really, as boreham wood look to be the nearest challengers to stockport now, and weve got to be in good form all the way to the end to make the playoffs now
Posted by: aldi_01, February 22, 2022, 9:50pm; Reply: 31
I’m still not convinced even Stockport will run away with it, still wide open to be fair.

Results were probably as good as they could be for us tonight. Borehamwood proving the theory that lots of games in hand don’t always help…
Posted by: Hagrid, February 22, 2022, 9:58pm; Reply: 32
Bar solihull’s late winner we cant really moan
5 points off the Play offs though so we really need to keep our little run going
Posted by: Poojah, February 22, 2022, 10:10pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Hagrid
Bar solihull’s late winner we cant really moan
5 points off the Play offs though so we really need to keep our little run going

One way or another it’s made the table a little clearer tonight with a far more even number of games played by everyone around us (apart from Boreham Wood perhaps who still have a gazillion matches to play between now and the end of the season).

Happy times to be a Stockport fan. Having come out of absolutely nowhere to reach top spot, they now find themselves completely unchallenged. Chesterfield have blown it. They need to focus on regaining enough mental composure now to stay in the play-offs and hope that keeping Tshimanga’s leg enshrined in a bucket of horse placenta until then sees him back in time to one-man-show them to victory once more.

Out of the 8 teams with realistic aspirations of making the 6 playoff positions, we currently look the least likely. That can change with a win at Dover on Saturday; we must not fùck that up.
Posted by: blundellpork, February 22, 2022, 10:14pm; Reply: 34
The loss of Tshimanga looks set to wipe out Chesterfields season. In the match at Blundell Park, he really was the difference between the teams. Look at their results, and if you remove his goals, they shed an awful lot of points. Can’t help but think they will fall away without him.
Posted by: aldi_01, February 22, 2022, 10:31pm; Reply: 35
I said from the start that if chesterfield lost him they’d struggle. Add in to that their scumbag manager getting booted and another key layer getting a serious injury and it looks like they could end up scrapping for a playoff place.

I’m not sure Stockport have come out of nowhere, not with the cash they’ve spent but i do appreciate they were poor at the start of the season.

Results have been kind tonight and I think the games in hand will be a hinderance to Borehamwood…
Posted by: ginnywings, February 22, 2022, 10:57pm; Reply: 36
We've made up 8 points on Chesterfield in only 4 games. They are having a serious wobble.

We could be 2 or 3 points off 7th with a win on Saturday, depending on the Notts result. Bromley have no game but have only taken 1 point from their last three, so they are wobbling a bit too.

All to play for.
Posted by: marinerjase, February 23, 2022, 9:04am; Reply: 37
Well ideally the money men get promoted this season and it makes next season a more level playing field. With two poor sides coming down to replace them.

Think most would have accepted a play off spot for us this season - that’s still possible.
Posted by: pen penfras, February 23, 2022, 9:39am; Reply: 38
Quoted from Poojah

One way or another it’s made the table a little clearer tonight with a far more even number of games played by everyone around us (apart from Boreham Wood perhaps who still have a gazillion matches to play between now and the end of the season).

Happy times to be a Stockport fan. Having come out of absolutely nowhere to reach top spot, they now find themselves completely unchallenged. Chesterfield have blown it. They need to focus on regaining enough mental composure now to stay in the play-offs and hope that keeping Tshimanga’s leg enshrined in a bucket of horse placenta until then sees him back in time to one-man-show them to victory once more.

Out of the 8 teams with realistic aspirations of making the 6 playoff positions, we currently look the least likely. That can change with a win at Dover on Saturday; we must not fùck that up.

Not sure beating the whipping boys makes us any more likely to reach the playoffs, we should be expecting that result. Failure to win and it almost certainly makes us outsiders. But I fully expect us to win comfortably. It's next month that will be the big indicator.
Posted by: ska face, February 23, 2022, 10:02am; Reply: 39
Think it will do us some good being just outside the playoffs with something to aim for. Hurst has never been able to press on as a front runner - we’ve regularly had spells at the top, where we’ve ended up having an eye on those chasing, or been comfortable in the playoffs and the form has dropped well off.

16 games to make up 6 points on Bromley, with only 5 of those against teams above us. Game on.
Posted by: Poojah, February 23, 2022, 11:30am; Reply: 40
Quoted from pen penfras

Not sure beating the whipping boys makes us any more likely to reach the playoffs, we should be expecting that result. Failure to win and it almost certainly makes us outsiders. But I fully expect us to win comfortably. It's next month that will be the big indicator.

Erm…it makes us more likely than if we don’t beat them, which was the essence of my point.
Posted by: Zmariner, February 23, 2022, 2:20pm; Reply: 41
The short story is here that we could need early mid 70 points to get into the playoffs. This means we will need to win another nine or 10 games from our remaining 16. Not easy and very little scope for doing another Kings Lynn. I actually believe we will do it but it will be hard work as Borehamwood, Chesterfield and even the likes of Yeovil away will be a handful
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 23, 2022, 9:04pm; Reply: 42
Wed games:  Man United desperately poor in the first half.  A goal down early on and should be 2-0 down.  Doing the same things that don’t work.  Nothing new then?
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 1, 2022, 5:13pm; Reply: 43
3 games in The National League tonight.

Chesterfield v Notts County
Dagenham & Redbridge v Maidenhead United
Wrexham v King's Lynn Town

I reckon a draw would probably be the best result for us in the Chesterfield game, Maidenhead to beat The Daggers to stop them getting closer to us and it would be nice to see King's Lynn do something similar to Wrexham, what they did to us a few weeks back, but I can't really see past a Wrexham win here.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 1, 2022, 5:47pm; Reply: 44
At least one of our rivals will miss out tonight.

Though knowing what the officials are like in this league, they’ll somehow contrive to give both Cheaterfield and Notts 3 points.
Posted by: Poojah, March 1, 2022, 5:57pm; Reply: 45
I’d just about favour a Chesterfield win after they beat Yeovil on Saturday and put some distance between us. That would put Notts County in touching distance having played the same amount of games.

Scunny could find themselves 10 points adrift of safety in League Two tonight if results go against them.
Posted by: marinerjase, March 1, 2022, 6:35pm; Reply: 46
I think Notts are more than capable of beating Chesterfield, I don’t see them losing put it that way. Draw probably best, Wrexham will beat Kings Lynn.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, March 1, 2022, 7:34pm; Reply: 47
Just watching the Peterbrough vs Man City game.  I didn't realise teams can play with such similar colours, very clashy.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 1, 2022, 7:59pm; Reply: 48

Wrexham 1-0 King's Lynn
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 1, 2022, 8:12pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Poojah
Scunny could find themselves 10 points adrift of safety in League Two tonight if results go against them.

3rd from bottom Carlisle winning  :)

Posted by: Poojah, March 1, 2022, 8:25pm; Reply: 50

3rd from bottom Carlisle winning  :)

As thing stand, they are a full 10 points (plus a hefty GD deficit) away from safety. Please mind the gap…
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 1, 2022, 8:26pm; Reply: 51

Chesterfield 0-1 Notts County
Posted by: Hagrid, March 1, 2022, 9:06pm; Reply: 52
Chesterfield 1 Notts 1
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 1, 2022, 9:18pm; Reply: 53

LJL puts York 1 up at AFC Fylde
Posted by: Hagrid, March 1, 2022, 9:21pm; Reply: 54
Get in! Nice one Lenny!!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 1, 2022, 9:31pm; Reply: 55
Need Chesterfield to get a winner I reckon.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 1, 2022, 9:32pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Need Chesterfield to get a winner I reckon.

Chesterfield 2-1 Notts County

Posted by: Hagrid, March 1, 2022, 9:38pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Hagrid
Get in! Nice one Lenny!!

Which loser red crossed this😂

Our own player scoring can only be a good thing
Posted by: Hagrid, March 1, 2022, 9:38pm; Reply: 58

Chesterfield 2-1 Notts County

3-1 penalty
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 1, 2022, 9:50pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Hagrid

3-1 penalty

Even better !!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 1, 2022, 9:52pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Hagrid

3-1 penalty

That’s a turn up for the books I reckon. Not a bad result for us.
Posted by: ska face, March 1, 2022, 9:52pm; Reply: 61
Decent result for us, we’re not catching Chesterfield and they’re not dropping out the playoffs realistically.

Notts have a very easy run in, much better than ours, so if they’re still in & around it come Easter I think they’ll go on a decent run & cement a play off spot.

Solihull look to have an difficult last month or two, so if they start to wobble could be the ones to catch.

After Saturday we’ve got 3 long, difficult trips in a row coming up. Really need to keep in touch with the the playoffs.
Posted by: moosey_club, March 1, 2022, 9:59pm; Reply: 62
Points picked up by plenty of Scunnys rivals as well. 😊
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 1, 2022, 10:10pm; Reply: 63
Feels like 5 teams playing for either 6th or 7th.
Posted by: lukeo, March 2, 2022, 5:59am; Reply: 64
Realistically we couldn't expect Wrexham or Dagenham to lose.. County losing was a good result though.
Posted by: marinerjase, March 2, 2022, 4:26pm; Reply: 65
Could do with one of those prediction calculator things 😉 I can’t see Town getting more than 70 points which probably won’t be enough? That said I thought Notts wouldn’t lose last night so..
Posted by: Cayman_mariner, March 2, 2022, 5:18pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from marinerjase
Could do with one of those prediction calculator things 😉 I can’t see Town getting more than 70 points which probably won’t be enough? That said I thought Notts wouldn’t lose last night so..

There is one Jase, under the Football menu on the Fishy - you can select National League from the dropdown:  [url]https://thefishy.co.uk/football-calculator.php[/url]
Posted by: SouthLakesMariner, March 2, 2022, 8:24pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Cayman_mariner

There is one Jase, under the Football menu on the Fishy - you can select National League from the dropdown:  [url]https://thefishy.co.uk/football-calculator.php[/url]

Thanks for pointing that out Cayman. I’ve just run through Town’s remaining fixtures and got to 78 points, but it still had us in 9th.
Posted by: marinerjase, March 2, 2022, 8:52pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Cayman_mariner

Thanks mate..I’ve gone from pessimistic to optimistic - just done it and we scrape in 7th
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, March 5, 2022, 5:37pm; Reply: 69
Win on Tuesday and we are in play offs.
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 14, 2022, 12:16pm; Reply: 70
Tomorrow's games.

Be nice to see Barnet nick a point off Boreham Wood, maybe a draw at The Shay and Stockport to beat Notts County as we won't be catching Stockport. The other game, maybe a draw would be the best result for us.

Barnet v Boreham Wood
FC Halifax Town v Bromley
Southend United v Dagenham & Redbridge
Stockport County v Notts County
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 14, 2022, 12:28pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from Les Brechin
Tomorrow's games.

Be nice to see Barnet nick a point off Boreham Wood, maybe a draw at The Shay and Stockport to beat Notts County as we won't be catching Stockport. The other game, maybe a draw would be the best result for us.

Barnet v Boreham Wood

And Scunny are playing a 6 pointer at home to Barrow, a loss and any very slim chance of staying up would surely be gone.
Posted by: Poojah, March 15, 2022, 10:06am; Reply: 72
Quoted from Les Brechin
Tomorrow's games.

Barnet v Boreham Wood

I’d take a straight four home victories tonight. We’re unlikely to catch Halifax and if Southend end up clawing back the 12 points they’d need to get ahead of us, we’ll have fúcked it up anyway.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 15, 2022, 7:50pm; Reply: 73

Southend 0-1 Dag & Red
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 15, 2022, 8:00pm; Reply: 74

Barnet 1-0 Boreham Wood   :)
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 15, 2022, 8:10pm; Reply: 75

Scunny have a man sent off early on in their game against relegation rivals Barrow.
Posted by: Hagrid, March 15, 2022, 8:16pm; Reply: 76
2-0’Dagenham

Stockport 1 Notts 0
Posted by: Poojah, March 15, 2022, 8:18pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from Hagrid
2-0’Dagenham

Stockport 1 Notts 0

I’d take a Dagenham win tonight if it meant Boreham Wood and Notts County losing. Though it would up the ante of our game at home to the Daggers in a couple of weeks time.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 15, 2022, 8:32pm; Reply: 78

Scunny 0-1 Barrow   8)
Posted by: oochiad, March 15, 2022, 8:47pm; Reply: 79
Great results so far…….
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 15, 2022, 8:50pm; Reply: 80
Man United losing at HT.
Posted by: buckstown, March 15, 2022, 8:54pm; Reply: 81
See Nolan isn’t in the Bristol rovers squad again. Don’t think he’s played since he signed for them
Posted by: Poojah, March 15, 2022, 8:59pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from oochiad
Great results so far…….

Yep. Notts County 2-down at Stockport, so short of Bromley nicking a win at Halifax we will keep our play-off place for a few more days.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 15, 2022, 9:10pm; Reply: 83

Halifax 1-0 Bromley
Posted by: Hagrid, March 15, 2022, 9:13pm; Reply: 84
Luke Summerfield with the goal

3-0 dagenham. Some result that
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 15, 2022, 9:15pm; Reply: 85

Stockport 3-0 Notts County
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 15, 2022, 9:22pm; Reply: 86
Carlsberg night?

Our goal difference is getting better by the minute (with other teams getting worse).
Posted by: lukeo, March 15, 2022, 9:27pm; Reply: 87
Exeter winning ✅
Scunny losing ✅
Bromley losing ✅
Borehamwood losing ✅
Notts County losing ✅
Daggers winning X
So far an almost perfect night for me if it stays like this!
Posted by: Hagrid, March 15, 2022, 9:33pm; Reply: 88
2009 at scunny. Thats horrendous
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 15, 2022, 9:35pm; Reply: 89
Dagenham on course for second consecutive 3-0 away win.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 15, 2022, 9:37pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from Hagrid
2009 at scunny. Thats horrendous

2009? I thought it was like the 1950s so it’s improved a lot since I last went there.
Posted by: LH, March 15, 2022, 9:44pm; Reply: 91
Feels like the first time in a long time that results have gone mostly our way. Scunny hahahahahaha
Posted by: aldi_01, March 15, 2022, 9:45pm; Reply: 92
Literally couldn’t have asked for better results…
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, March 15, 2022, 9:47pm; Reply: 93
Great results those. Dagenham are on a roll but for Bromley Boreham wood and Notts to lose is a good night.
Posted by: lukeo, March 15, 2022, 9:47pm; Reply: 94
9 of which are Grimsby fans. One of whom represented Barrow at half time in the pitch 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂
Posted by: Poojah, March 15, 2022, 9:50pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from Poojah

Yep. Notts County 2-down at Stockport, so short of Bromley nicking a win at Halifax we will keep our play-off place for a few more days.

As the Rolling Stones once said, you can’t always get what you want. But then as the late, great Meatloaf once (sort of) said, three out of four ain’t bad.

A win takes us at least 6th on Saturday, and we would go 5th in the unlikely event Solihull fail to beat Eastleigh. That said, if results go the other way we could be back in 9th, behind Dagenham. Wide open now.
Posted by: aldi_01, March 15, 2022, 10:10pm; Reply: 96
Remember when everyone was concerned about Borehamwood’s games in hand…have they won any yet?
Posted by: GrimRob, March 15, 2022, 10:20pm; Reply: 97
Amazing how much more positive for us things look than they did a week ago
Posted by: Poojah, March 15, 2022, 10:30pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from GrimRob
Amazing how much more positive for us things look than they did a week ago

Agreed. Our next three games (Boreham Wood, Solihull and Dagenham) also look massive all of a sudden. Avoiding defeat in those is paramount, though nicking a win (or two) would put us in a really good position play-off wise.

Beyond that, aside from Chesterfield away and Stockport at home, our run in looks fairly rosy on paper, and a lot better than most. A crucial half-month lies ahead.

Edit: there’s still the Boreham Wood home game to be arranged, which will be big too. But my general point remains intact, I think.
Posted by: Mariner93er, March 15, 2022, 11:06pm; Reply: 99
Bromley, notts and boreham wood are all going through rough form so we really need to capitalise and cement our place. It’s definitely looking more positive.
Posted by: Mariner93er, March 15, 2022, 11:07pm; Reply: 100
And the next 6 games look like they’ll decide our season, 5 of them against play off chasers.
Posted by: pizzzza, March 15, 2022, 11:19pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from Poojah

Edit: there’s still the Boreham Wood home game to be arranged, which will be big too. But my general point remains intact, I think.

Is there a good reason why this is taking so long to be rearranged? It was called off weeks ago and there are no other uncertainties remaining in either club's calendar.
Posted by: Poojah, March 15, 2022, 11:21pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from pizzzza

Is there a good reason why this is taking so long to be rearranged? It was called off weeks ago and there are no other uncertainties remaining in either club's calendar.

I think it’s a mixture of of Boreham’s Wood’s ongoing fixture congestion and the National League’s long-standing ineptitude.
Posted by: Abdul19, March 15, 2022, 11:43pm; Reply: 103
I think we should just play 1 3 hour long game against them at a neutral venue, a game the pundits can call a 12 pointer.
Posted by: forza ivano, March 15, 2022, 11:50pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from Poojah

Agreed. Our next three games (Boreham Wood, Solihull and Dagenham) also look massive all of a sudden. Avoiding defeat in those is paramount, though nicking a win (or two) would put us in a really good position play-off wise.

Beyond that, aside from Chesterfield away and Stockport at home, our run in looks fairly rosy on paper, and a lot better than most. A crucial half-month lies ahead.

errrrh, we've only got 12 games left, so that's half of them you are saying are tricky! Wouldn't say that constitutes a fortuitous run in!

ps looking at twitter pics there were a couple of hundred barrow at the scunts tonight , so the home support is already looking about the right level for Conference North!
Posted by: Poojah, March 16, 2022, 7:18am; Reply: 105
Quoted from forza ivano

errrrh, we've only got 12 games left, so that's half of them you are saying are tricky! Wouldn't say that constitutes a fortuitous run in!

ps looking at twitter pics there were a couple of hundred barrow at the scunts tonight , so the home support is already looking about the right level for Conference North!

Easy now; my posts was in two parts. The first, that the next three are crucial, and obviously tricky. We need to get through that period with as little damage as possible, because any points we lose are gained by other shooting for the same play-off places.

The second point was that, “beyond that”, the run in is better than most if not all of those immediately around us. Of 9 games. Only 3 are against fellow promotion contenders (2 of which are at home), and only 1 is a true 6-pointer.

And that’s a key point - there’s a very high concentration of games between our most immediate rivals which equates to a high level of guaranteed points lost between them.

I think my point stands; IF we can get through the next three games in decent nick, then our situation is probably significantly rosier than most. I was just attempting to break the challenge ahead of us down into smaller chunks.

Posted by: Les Brechin, March 16, 2022, 12:38pm; Reply: 106
IF (and I know it's a big IF) we beat Boreham Wood on Saturday, we'll go above them. Who'd have thought that just a few weeks ago!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, March 16, 2022, 12:50pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from Les Brechin
IF (and I know it's a big IF) we beat Boreham Wood on Saturday, we'll go above them. Who'd have thought that just a few weeks ago!

Then we have to follow it up with a win next Tuesday against Solihull which would put us 5th (or potentially 4th if Wrexham wobble against Bromley and Halifax).
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 4, 2022, 11:04am; Reply: 108
More games this Tuesday. What do we reckon would be the best results for us?

Dagenham & Redbridge v Boreham Wood
FC Halifax Town v Solihull Moors
King's Lynn Town v Bromley
Wealdstone v Maidenhead United
Wrexham v Barnet
Posted by: Poojah, April 4, 2022, 11:28am; Reply: 109
Quoted from Les Brechin
More games this Tuesday. What do we reckon would be the best results for us?

Dagenham & Redbridge v Boreham Wood
FC Halifax Town v Solihull Moors
King's Lynn Town v Bromley
Wealdstone v Maidenhead United
Wrexham v Barnet

I’d like to think Dagenham are no longer a threat we need to worry about. Even with a game in hand, if our 7 point advantage and superior goal difference isn’t enough to keep us ahead of them, it’s likely we’ve not done enough to make the play-offs anyway. Therefore I’d like to see them beat Boreham Wood, but a draw would by no means be a disaster.

I’m not convinced Solihull or Halifax are catchable now, so I’m not massively concerned about this one but if push came to shove, I’d marginally favour a Halifax win to keep Solihull just about in conceivable reaching distance.

I’d put Bromley into a similar category to Dagenham, and I reckon reaching Wembley in the Trophy at the weekend could well be the death knell for their play-off hopes. Of course, if I could choose, I’d happily take a Kings Lynn victory to more or less put Bromley to bed.

Wrexham I don’t greatly care about at this stage. In my opinion they won’t win the league (we may as well give that to Stockport now) but will almost certainly finish top 3 with one of Halifax or Solihull. I think they’ll beat Barnet.
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 7:00am