Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, January 30, 2022, 2:54pm
Released By Ipswich

Oh if only
Posted by: aldi_01, January 30, 2022, 2:58pm; Reply: 1
Midfield literally crying out for a player like him…
Posted by: TAGG, January 30, 2022, 3:09pm; Reply: 2
Jesus how many more midfielders do we need??
Posted by: Hagrid, January 30, 2022, 3:11pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from TAGG
Jesus how many more midfielders do we need??

Well you said the villa lad was excrement😂😂….
Posted by: GhostDan, January 30, 2022, 3:29pm; Reply: 4
If there’s even the slightest chance he would come back, which I doubt there is, we need to pull up the anchor and launch us boat as far out into the ocean as we can get it.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 30, 2022, 3:29pm; Reply: 5
Don’t like bringing back ex players but in this case 💯
Posted by: mimma, January 30, 2022, 3:43pm; Reply: 6
Would he be the same player we had five years ago? It's a long time in football.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 30, 2022, 3:50pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from mimma
Would he be the same player we had five years ago? It's a long time in football.

I’d imagine he’s still significantly better than what we’ve got…
Posted by: TAGG, January 30, 2022, 3:59pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Hagrid

Well you said the villa lad was excrement😂😂….

He was excrement.
God knows how many scuffed passes.
Very weak in the tackle, and his positional know how was non existent.
I thought he was one of the half time lads just wondered on the pitch.
Posted by: MarinerDevil, January 30, 2022, 4:00pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from mimma

Was it really five years ago?  Christ.

Anyway, rumours are that Wrexham are in for him.  Of course.
Posted by: fiveallive, January 30, 2022, 4:03pm; Reply: 10
I would definitely have Jon Nolan back here, he might not be the same player he's had a cruciate knee ligament, only 29 maybe be a bit slower then he used to be might but still a good player who Hurst knows well.
Posted by: buckstown, January 30, 2022, 4:43pm; Reply: 11
Would image he has a contract lined up if he's been released. He's had a lot of trouble with injuries of late but he's quality if fit
Posted by: ginnywings, January 30, 2022, 4:55pm; Reply: 12
Yes please, but although I think it's possible, it feels unlikely.

Could be tempted into working with Hurst again for a fourth time.

Here's hoping.
Posted by: nightrider, January 30, 2022, 5:25pm; Reply: 13
Ollie Palmer seemed to do OK....
Posted by: Kris2, January 30, 2022, 5:29pm; Reply: 14
I imagine the temptation of Hurst is much less than the temptation of big bucks from Wrexham. I doubt we can come close to matching what they will offer. He's hitting an age where he will be looking to get the best deal he can in his last few good years.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 30, 2022, 5:31pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Kris2
I imagine the temptation of Hurst is much less than the temptation of big bucks from Wrexham. I doubt we can come close to matching what they will offer. He's hitting an age where he will be looking to get the best deal he can in his last few good years.

This is the issue and he also knows that they’re so desperate and have been so public that they’ve got cash that he’ll exploit that and get a deal well beyond what he’s probably worth or what is certainly well beyond what most sensible non league teams would pay…
Posted by: Bigdog, January 30, 2022, 6:00pm; Reply: 16
Ipswich supporting mate says he's had setback after setback after a debilitating injury. It's a pass from me, and we should avoid Scannell type situations occuring again. You can't have one judgement for one and a different judgement for another with similar circumstances, or let nostalgia cloud rational thought..
Posted by: acko338, January 30, 2022, 6:10pm; Reply: 17
Old memories alone should not bring back a player who has had well over a full season out.

Wrexham can afford to risk a contract, but we would need to be totally sure tbat he is fully fit before committing, if he was willing to return down the leagues.

We all know how he was before, has he still got it in him?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 30, 2022, 7:01pm; Reply: 18
I’d take him if we could get him, we’ll not be one of his options as clubs in the EFL will take a player of that quality despite the risk

I saw this and it got me thinking can players with really bad injuries take their insurance still as long as they don’t play in the league? Isn’t that how Mike Marsh ended up at Boston?
Posted by: Bomhead, January 30, 2022, 7:05pm; Reply: 19
Hardly played for 2years would fit in well here
Posted by: blundellpork, January 30, 2022, 7:51pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I’d take him if we could get him, we’ll not be one of his options as clubs in the EFL will take a player of that quality despite the risk

I saw this and it got me thinking can players with really bad injuries take their insurance still as long as they don’t play in the league? Isn’t that how Mike Marsh ended up at Boston?

Think that’s how Croudson was able to play for us in non league.
Posted by: toontown, January 30, 2022, 8:01pm; Reply: 21
Not for me, with scannell, grant and to a lesser extent Wright on the books we  need players that can play.
Posted by: Poojah, January 30, 2022, 8:11pm; Reply: 22
I necessarily wouldn’t be so dismissive with this one. Michael Reddy is a great example of a player with ability way above our level that we were able to attract only because of his injury record.

The fact Nolan hasn’t played in over a year will no doubt put a lot of clubs off, but if he could come here on a short-term deal to the end of the season to prove his body is still capable of the rigours of first-team football then it could be win-win for all concerned.

Sometimes links between managers and former players get overplayed, but in this case Hurst has been the manager that signed him in each of his last three moves. His career was going nowhere prior to January 2016; Hurst has clearly been a positive influence for him.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 30, 2022, 9:00pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Poojah
I necessarily wouldn’t be so dismissive with this one. Michael Reddy is a great example of a player with ability way above our level that we were able to attract only because of his injury record.

The fact Nolan hasn’t played in over a year will no doubt put a lot of clubs off, but if he could come here on a short-term deal to the end of the season to prove his body is still capable of the rigours of first-team football then it could be win-win for all concerned.

Sometimes links between managers and former players get overplayed, but in this case Hurst has been the manager that signed him in each of his last three moves. His career was going nowhere prior to January 2016; Hurst has clearly been a positive influence for him.

Danny Andrew springs to mind.
Posted by: acko338, January 30, 2022, 9:23pm; Reply: 24
I suppose a pay per games played deal could work ?

If he would go for it?
Posted by: Kris2, January 30, 2022, 9:52pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from acko338
I suppose a pay per games played deal could work ?

If he would go for it?

Why would he? That's something you'd go for if you're desperate for a contract.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 30, 2022, 10:10pm; Reply: 26
I think the link between Hurst and Nolan could be a big feature if Hurst was interested. You could argue that Hurst is also the a manager that got the most out of him too.

If he came here, proved himself and got a move then everyone is happy. He influences our team positively and his career almost starts again…
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 30, 2022, 10:18pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Kris2

Why would he? That's something you'd go for if you're desperate for a contract.

Because they’ll be a queue and our “pay” on offer won’t match theirs.
Posted by: lee65, January 30, 2022, 10:23pm; Reply: 28
Perhaps his family situation (whatever that is) may come in to play at this point in his career?, where do they see their future geographically?, particularly if he can’t play for much longer
Posted by: Davec, January 31, 2022, 7:14am; Reply: 29
I would certainly take a gamble on him, we know that if he is anywhere near what he was then he's a quality national League player, as others has said maybe he needs to drop down the levels just to prove he can still play and put himself in the shop window, can't see it happening but if I was Hurst I would be doing all I can to tempt him back.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 31, 2022, 7:35am; Reply: 30
Nolan for Coke? No disrespect to Giles, but, yes please!
Posted by: Maringer, January 31, 2022, 8:24am; Reply: 31
I don't think we can take another gamble on an unfit player, can we? Grant has unfortunately been a complete waste of money this season and Scannell has been the same for 2 seasons. LJL not nearly the player he once was either. It would be a big gamble to sign Nolan, especially as he isn't likely to be cheap.

That said, you could see him perhaps joining until the end of the season to try and get his fitness up and put himself back in the shop window. Depends on whether he's got offers elsewhere.
Posted by: pen penfras, January 31, 2022, 9:01am; Reply: 32
Quoted from Poojah

He went to Chesterfield from us, then Shrewsbury. But clearly he likes playing for Hurst, otherwise he wouldn't have followed him around.
Posted by: Poojah, January 31, 2022, 9:28am; Reply: 33
Quoted from pen penfras

He went to Chesterfield from us, then Shrewsbury. But clearly he likes playing for Hurst, otherwise he wouldn't have followed him around.

You are correct; Hurst clearly couldn't have signed him when he first left Town as he was still the manager here at the time. I'd forgotten about that Chesterfield stint. Good spot.
Posted by: Garth, January 31, 2022, 10:35am; Reply: 34
Another card player for the treatment room school
Posted by: out of town, January 31, 2022, 10:39am; Reply: 35
I've got a mate who's a Chesterfield fan. He's just told me Paul Cook is going to be made manager today and he's taking Nolan with him
Posted by: Poojah, January 31, 2022, 10:45am; Reply: 36
Quoted from out of town
I've got a mate who's a Chesterfield fan. He's just told me Paul Cook is going to be made manager today and he's taking Nolan with him

That would be a remarkable bit of business all round from them. I hope your mate is wrong.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 1, 2022, 7:46pm; Reply: 37
He’s signed for Brizzle Rovers https://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/2022/february/jon-nolan-signs-for-rovers/
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 6:44am