Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 19, 2021, 10:14am
Has sadly passed away

An absolute legend of the game for club and country. And am sure many of us remember watching ‘saint and greavsie’ on a Saturday lunchtime.

I think it’s incredibly fitting that Tottenham play Chelsea today.

Rest in peace
Posted by: Civvy at last, September 19, 2021, 10:15am; Reply: 1
Just beat me to it. I’ll delete mine.
RIP Jimmy
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 19, 2021, 10:19am; Reply: 2

Great footballer and used to love watching "Saint & Greavsie"

RIP Jimmy

Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 19, 2021, 10:30am; Reply: 3
As a player check his goal scoring record, enough said.

RIP, another true great passes.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 19, 2021, 10:32am; Reply: 4
RIP Greavsie
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, September 19, 2021, 10:50am; Reply: 5
One of the great characters of the game. RIP.

A nice little photographic memoriam here;

https://www.theguardian.com/football/gallery/2021/sep/19/jimmy-greaves-a-life-in-pictures
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 19, 2021, 11:04am; Reply: 6
A touch before my time but his stats are amazing rip Jimmy
Posted by: grimps, September 19, 2021, 11:05am; Reply: 7
I can’t remember him as a player but I always have fond  memories of the Saint and Greavsey when town was getting promoted in the late 80s early 90s .
They’d always show the Tranmere and Southend games that was played on Friday nights and they did a few interviews with Buckley .
Greavsey was always the mischievous one with Saint as the straight man but really they was the template for what’s now Soccer Am
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 19, 2021, 11:25am; Reply: 8
Just woken up to this really sad news today

Jimmy Greaves was a fantastic footballer and so unlucky not to have played a bigger part in England’s’66 success

After that I remember him being part of a rally team going to Mexico in ‘70 and of course after that becoming a football pundit on ITV

What followed with the Saint & Greavsie show was legendary….for me my Saturdays started with their show before our games in the afternoon

My overriding memory of him though will always be when I met him in Florida while on my honeymoon. He was such a great bloke, came over to speak to me and ask about our trip. Told me all about which rides to go on and took the mick a little bit about Town

I’m just really saddened to think that such a national legend lived out his later years the way he did. Now he’s finally at peace but his memory will live on

RIP Jimmy….you were one of a kind. A great footballer & an even greater man 😢
Posted by: joe56, September 19, 2021, 11:39am; Reply: 9
What a player! I only ever saw him play for England, but he certainly knocked in a few in those games. The standout was the 9-3 annihilation of Scotland at Wembley. He wasn’t just a goalscorer though - his all-round game was good. And a great bloke too. RIP Jim.
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), September 19, 2021, 1:06pm; Reply: 10
RIP Jimmy,  saw him several times playing for club and Country. Quality  in front of goal. With Kane valued at 150 million what would Jimmy of been valued at.  Very Sad news.
Posted by: White_shorts, September 19, 2021, 1:07pm; Reply: 11
It annoys me intensely that Justin Whittle's best mate is lauded as Premier League top scorer. Greaves' achievement is being airbrushed from history.

The PL is just the first division with a different name. The greedy top flight clubs resigned from the League in 1992 because they wanted to set up their own TV deal and keep the money for themselves.
Posted by: wuffing, September 19, 2021, 3:52pm; Reply: 12
RIP Jimmy
Posted by: Caveman, September 19, 2021, 8:41pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from joe56
What a player! I only ever saw him play for England, but he certainly knocked in a few in those games. The standout was the 9-3 annihilation of Scotland at Wembley. He wasn’t just a goalscorer though - his all-round game was good. And a great bloke too. RIP Jim.

I was lucky enough to be at that game when he played
in a forward line that contained Jimmy, Johnny Haynes
and Bobby Charlton.

What would they be worth today ?

RIP
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 19, 2021, 10:32pm; Reply: 14
I never saw him play, although old enough.  He was the greatest goalscorer in Europe, across the 4 top divisions, for 46 years.  He scored 366 goals at the highest level.  Only Ronaldo in 2017 was able to beat his record.

He scored more goals at top club level than the great Gerd Muller.

He will be sadly missed.
Posted by: joe56, September 19, 2021, 11:33pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Caveman

I was lucky enough to be at that game when he played
in a forward line that contained Jimmy, Johnny Haynes
and Bobby Charlton.

What would they be worth today ?

RIP

It was my first ever visit to Wembley. I was 11, and I remember it as being like a marble palace in a semi-rural area with a bowling green of a pitch. Compared very favourably with the present ground. The remarkable thing was that Bobby Charlton, England’s leading scorer for years,  didn’t score! I’ve always felt that the team was at least as good as the 1966 World Cup winning side.
Print page generated: May 23, 2024, 10:14pm