Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Non Football  /  
Posted by: aldi_01, July 22, 2021, 5:14pm
The clues in the thread title…anyone own an EV car or van? Any comments, pros/cons…exploring this idea, been reading around but wondered what folk thought on here…
Posted by: DB, July 22, 2021, 6:47pm; Reply: 1
My daughter had one, replaced it with a petrol car. I considered one but the price is high, to me, as I do a low mileage it seems expensive. It costs me about 10p per mile in petrol, so the saving per mile does not cover the price of the vehicle. What's more, if I choose to do 200 miles on holiday there are not many charging points.

I know I always say it comes down to choice, but in this case, it does.

Posted by: aldi_01, July 22, 2021, 7:13pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from DB
My daughter had one, replaced it with a petrol car. I considered one but the price is high, to me, as I do a low mileage it seems expensive. It costs me about 10p per mile in petrol, so the saving per mile does not cover the price of the vehicle. What's more, if I choose to do 200 miles on holiday there are not many charging points.

I know I always say it comes down to choice, but in this case, it does.

I don’t disagree, I think it very much varies depending on which EV you have. Tesla are miles in front and in truth, that’s what I’d go for but the market is improving. The issue is the infrastructure; Tesla once again are seemingly more adaptable, if not the prettiest car.

Given the mileage I would do, it would cost me no more than 20quid a week for work as opposed to the 60/65 I currently pay.

Horses for courses I guess…

Cheers
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 22, 2021, 7:54pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from aldi_01

Tesla are miles in front and in truth, that’s what I’d go for but the market is improving. The issue is the infrastructure; Tesla once again are seemingly more adaptable, if not the prettiest car.

I wouldn’t buy a Tesla for the price and the fact their CEO is that paëdo guy.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 22, 2021, 8:53pm; Reply: 4

I wouldn’t buy a Tesla for the price and the fact their CEO is that paëdo guy.

Prince Andrew owns Tesla?
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, July 22, 2021, 9:32pm; Reply: 5
The embodied carbon in the manufacture of EVs and the grid not yet being 100% zero carbon means they are  not saving the planet. Run your current car into the ground before you buy an EV. If you live in an urban area use Uber and car clubs.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 22, 2021, 9:48pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
The embodied carbon in the manufacture of EVs and the grid not yet being 100% zero carbon means they are  not saving the planet. Run your current car into the ground before you buy an EV. If you live in an urban area use Uber and car clubs.

To be fair the reason for buying one isn’t based on saving the planet, more saving the pennies in my pocket of which there are many…
Posted by: blundellpork, July 22, 2021, 10:47pm; Reply: 7
Mercedes A Class hybrid here.

Car has good spec, charges to 44 mile range (genuinely achieves this), and pretty cheap to run. Octopus energy offer 5p k/kWh during the early am’s, so works out about 1.5p a mile if using scheduled charging.

However, the weight of the battery gives you noticeable understeer, and as a driving experience, I would probably still choose my old Audi A3 diesel. I’m not convinced hybrids are materially better for the environment as we are merely trading petrol or diesel, for rare earth minerals to make a battery.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 22, 2021, 11:33pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from aldi_01

Prince Andrew owns Tesla?

No, the Muskrat.

Although owning an electric vehicle and Prince Andrew are quite similar in that you wake up every morning hoping they’ve been charged overnight.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, July 23, 2021, 12:20am; Reply: 9
Quoted from aldi_01

To be fair the reason for buying one isn’t based on saving the planet, more saving the pennies in my pocket of which there are many…
Alot of capital to invest to save on running costs though...needs a v high annual mileage to justify it

Posted by: aldi_01, July 23, 2021, 5:46am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Alot of capital to invest to save on running costs though...needs a v high annual mileage to justify it

Annual mileage of around 25k…it’s salary sacrifice scheme so saves me roughly 250 minimum a month.
Posted by: DB, July 23, 2021, 8:19am; Reply: 11
Quoted from aldi_01

I have a Suzuki Celerio and get 60+ both on a run and around town. Before that, I had Suzuki Alto's which gave more than 60+ on a run and not quite 60 around town. Many people would say they are 'basic' but for a cheap run about and 1/2 hols per year, I find them good and reliable.

Posted by: Maringer, July 23, 2021, 10:16am; Reply: 12
Depends on how well the batteries last, really. The wear and tear on an EV should be less than on a car with a combustion engine due to fewer vibrations. You'll probably need to replace the shocks more often due to the weight of the batteries, but that's not going to be too difficult. Electric motors go on for ever in comparison to ICEs (fewer moving parts/less heat etc) so, providing the back up electronics are well-designed, you could easily get 20 years out of a car. It just depends what happens with the batteries and whether or not you could retro-fit replacements. I'm guessing probably not, as the car companies will always want you to buy a new car so it will be expensive to replace by design. I was hoping that I could get an electric car with my most recent purchase a couple of years ago, but not suitable for my use profile at present.

Battery tech is improving a good amount so, it might be a different case in 4 or 5 years when the charging network will hopefully be much better as well.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, July 23, 2021, 6:26pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Maringer
Depends on how well the batteries last, really. The wear and tear on an EV should be less than on a car with a combustion engine due to fewer vibrations. You'll probably need to replace the shocks more often due to the weight of the batteries, but that's not going to be too difficult. Electric motors go on for ever in comparison to ICEs (fewer moving parts/less heat etc) so, providing the back up electronics are well-designed, you could easily get 20 years out of a car. It just depends what happens with the batteries and whether or not you could retro-fit replacements. I'm guessing probably not, as the car companies will always want you to buy a new car so it will be expensive to replace by design. I was hoping that I could get an electric car with my most recent purchase a couple of years ago, but not suitable for my use profile at present.

Battery tech is improving a good amount so, it might be a different case in 4 or 5 years when the charging network will hopefully be much better as well.

That's the timescale I'm thinking - key thing is the battery tech needs to be able to take super-rapid charging. These chargers will be mostly battery to battery by then with a low current feed to the charging unit to charge the battery in it - will be massive saving on upgrading the LV network.

Print page generated: May 17, 2024, 12:28pm