Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 10, 2021, 8:55am
Sad news that Paul Mariner has died aged just 68.

RIP Paul.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/former-ipswich-and-england-striker-paul-mariner-dies-aged-68/ar-AALZwo6
Posted by: Sandford1981, July 10, 2021, 9:39am; Reply: 1
Yet another person lost far too soon to that odious disease!
Sad news indeed.

RIP Paul ๐Ÿ˜ž
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 10, 2021, 9:42am; Reply: 2
Quoted from Sandford1981
Yet another person lost far too soon to that odious disease!
Sad news indeed.

RIP Paul ๐Ÿ˜ž

Indeed, when I first saw the news, I didn't realise that it was brain cancer that had taken him.
Posted by: 800 (Guest), July 10, 2021, 9:43am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Les Brechin

That is really sad. I was fortunate enough to see him playing in the great Ipswich Town side of the early 80s where there were some fantastic European nights. I was a student in Colchester and Paul was seen out in the town sometimes.

What a player. The first Ipswich game I saw was against Manchester United and they had several players on him having lost 6 0 there the season before.

I always felt privileged to have been able to watch them at Portman Road at that time. RIP Paul and thanks for the memories.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 10, 2021, 9:49am; Reply: 4

Went to Ipswich in the early eighties when we lost 2-0 in the FA Cup, honestly can't remember if he played that day, my memory isn't what it used to be.

RIP
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 10, 2021, 9:58am; Reply: 5
Quoted from promotion plaice

Went to Ipswich in the early eighties when we lost 2-0 in the FA Cup, honestly can't remember if he played that day, my memory isn't what it used to be.

RIP

He did, if I recall right he was the player who got fouled for the free kick when I think it was Thyson who struck it bang on past Batchy.

A player I really liked and clearly these days thatโ€™s no age, very sad.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 10, 2021, 10:07am; Reply: 6
Sad loss of a another victim to the dreaded cancer RIP Paul.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 10, 2021, 10:51am; Reply: 7
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57788208

BBC's tribute.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, July 10, 2021, 12:17pm; Reply: 8
Some player he was rip Paul mariner
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 10, 2021, 12:57pm; Reply: 9
Scored 13 goals for England.  I remember him as a good striker and key to the many successes for Ipswich.  Saw him play for Plymouth v Grimsby during a holiday in Devon.  

Very sad at only 68.  As a striker, his brain injury is possibly linked to heading a football.   Health changes cannot  come quickly enough to help young footballers now.  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 10, 2021, 1:13pm; Reply: 10
RIP
Posted by: DB, July 10, 2021, 1:36pm; Reply: 11
Very sad news RIP.
Posted by: barralad, July 10, 2021, 5:01pm; Reply: 12
Very sad news. There was a rumour in the late 70s early 80s that Town tried to sign him from Plymouth.
Posted by: Azimuth, July 10, 2021, 5:39pm; Reply: 13
I always had a soft spot for Paul Mariner, because after days of trying to find him he was the final player in my first complete Panini Album team, I had to push the boat out and swap him for two players and I think it was a Bolton Wonderers club badge.
Plus he was called Mariner so in my 9 year old head he should have been begging us to sign him!
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, July 11, 2021, 12:08am; Reply: 14
Nothing of an age - 68. RIP

Brain cancer. Weโ€™ll renowned for his  heading. Does make you wonder
Posted by: Hants.Mariner, July 11, 2021, 10:22am; Reply: 15
My memory of Paul Mariner is him punching the ball into the net in front of us Town fans to give Portsmouth a 1-0 win over us sometime in the late nineties?
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 11, 2021, 10:38am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Hants.Mariner
My memory of Paul Mariner is him punching the ball into the net in front of us Town fans to give Portsmouth a 1-0 win over us sometime in the late nineties?

Eighties presumably ๐Ÿ˜€
Print page generated: May 24, 2024, 12:05am