Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, July 7, 2021, 7:23pm
I'm currently reading Kevin Drinkell's 'Drinks all round'. Nearly finished it. Cracking read.

How many other ex-Town players have written their autobiographies? Off the top of my rain-soaked brain I can only think of Tony Ford.

Come on, help me people
Posted by: DB, July 7, 2021, 7:31pm; Reply: 1
John Mcdermott
Posted by: LN8Mariner, July 7, 2021, 7:34pm; Reply: 2
Chris Hargreaves’ “Where’s your caravan?” Is a good read.
Posted by: Simon, July 7, 2021, 7:42pm; Reply: 3
John McDermotts book is a great read as is Alan Buckleys especially if you were living the dream with them back in the day
Posted by: Sandford1981, July 7, 2021, 8:48pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from LN8Mariner
Chris Hargreaves’ “Where’s your caravan?” Is a good read.

This!
Posted by: Perkins, July 7, 2021, 8:56pm; Reply: 5
Gary Birtles
Posted by: Abdul19, July 7, 2021, 8:59pm; Reply: 6
03/04 legend Jamie Lawrence
Posted by: pizzzza, July 7, 2021, 9:59pm; Reply: 7
Must be a fair few, Graham Taylor's spring to mind
Posted by: Maringer, July 7, 2021, 11:09pm; Reply: 8
Neil Webb did one some years back. Terry Curran is doing one later this year, I think. Erm, did Shankly do one? Not a player, obvs, but plenty of managers have done one. Buckley must have had about ten copies of his autobiography printed judging by how quickly it went out of print. Lawrie Mac's is still available, as is Laws's. The less said about the book entitled, 'Ollie', the better.

Can't think of any others right now.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 7, 2021, 11:29pm; Reply: 9
i've got a very thin volume about Matt Tees, but can't remember if its an autobiography
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 7, 2021, 11:33pm; Reply: 10
Mark Nicholls brought out an autobiography (‘Oh Man! Muscat’) but the pages were out of order cos it was spineless
Posted by: Abdul19, July 8, 2021, 12:23am; Reply: 11
David Nielsen's sounded good but I think it was only in Danish?
Posted by: bawarmy, July 8, 2021, 12:35am; Reply: 12
If you’ve got Macca’s book look in the index. It says Paul handysides . I told him when he was signing mine and he wasn’t best pleased.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 8, 2021, 12:54am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Abdul19

Doesn’t he punch his teammate, Allan Gaarde, for ‘taking about Italian wine at training’.

Imagine Nielsen and Ivano playing under Laws. It’d be Fight Club meets The Godfather.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 8, 2021, 12:57am; Reply: 14
Not GTFC but former Bayern / German midfielder Stefan Effenberg’s autobiography is a classic.

The best chapter being titled:

‘What Lothar Matthäus knows about football'

Then just a blank page
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 8, 2021, 2:28am; Reply: 15
An English footballer did that in the 50s Knut. Except  the chapter was called ‘what the average chairman knows about football’.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 8, 2021, 9:59am; Reply: 16
Quoted from KingstonMariner
An English footballer did that in the 50s Knut. Except  the chapter was called ‘what the average chairman knows about football’.

I think the next section in Effenberg’s book must be the longest chapter, ‘What Stefan Effenberg knows about plagiarism’.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 8, 2021, 10:08am; Reply: 17
Quoted from KingstonMariner

What Fenty Knows About Regeneration.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 8, 2021, 1:09pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Abdul19

If he told his gambling problems and why he had to leave Norwich it would be good reading but I bet he didn't .

Our Danish cousin taught him at school so we know why which is a shame because he could have made a top footballer instead of going to play in Norway and back to Denmark.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 8, 2021, 1:47pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from grimsby pete

If he told his gambling problems and why he had to leave Norwich it would be good reading but I bet he didn't .

IIRC he talked about match fixing in it, so he probably did.
Posted by: Zero_as_a_limit, July 8, 2021, 4:40pm; Reply: 20
[img]https://www.sportspages.com/media/450x350/29089.jpg[/img]

[img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Ofi-MHNvL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg[/img]

Also, not a player but Stockwoods' (sic) book is good.
Posted by: malkamalka, July 8, 2021, 4:47pm; Reply: 21
I'm currently reading Big Mac's, even though only a short chapter is dedicated to his time at Town.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 8, 2021, 4:48pm; Reply: 22
The Dave Beasant one was published in 1989 which was 3 years before his spell with us.

I was going to order it until I saw that.
Posted by: Zero_as_a_limit, July 8, 2021, 5:14pm; Reply: 23
"Extracts from the forthcoming autobiography Sort it out Scotty - My life as a footballer and agent by Scott McGarvey":

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8781825/Agent-Scott-McGarvey-reveals-role-Sam-Allardyce-scandal.html

Doesn't seem to have been published yet- will maybe come out in time for Christmas?
Posted by: Caveman, July 8, 2021, 10:55pm; Reply: 24
Shanks is a great read.

The chapter " The Finest Team " says it all for me. When you
remember his career in management to refer to that Mariners
side of the early Fifties says so much.

Great memories !
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, July 8, 2021, 11:48pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Caveman
Shanks is a great read.

The chapter " The Finest Team " says it all for me. When you
remember his career in management to refer to that Mariners
side of the early Fifties says so much.

Great memories !

I wonder if Shanks mentions the nippy little right half that he personally scouted playing for the YMCA and offered a contract to.

I very much doubt it but my old Dad likes to think that page was edited out of the final draft.

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 9, 2021, 6:45pm; Reply: 26
I read a very good autobiography in the late 60s or 70s.  Alan Ball “The Ball of Fire”.  He was a more intelligent footballer than many others.  His dad (who was also called Alan Ball) was a good football manager.
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 6:43am