Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: The Yard Dog, May 27, 2021, 9:42am
Let down yet again by the Justice system, I feel for the families, after all these years fighting for justice and the latest judge has acquitted the three men accused.

The Hillsborough disaster claimed the lives of 96 Liverpool fans on 15 April 1989. Despite Lord Justice Taylor's initial inquiry finding the primary cause of the fatalities to be the failure of police control, the initial 1991 inquests recorded a verdict of accidental death. After decades of fighting for the truth by families and survivors, the publication of the Hillsborough Independent Panel's report in 2012 led to the quashing of those verdicts and the holding of new inquests,[/b] which determined in April 2016 the 96 victims had been unlawfully killed and Liverpool supporters were in no way to blame. Criminal investigations remain ongoing and in June 2017, charges (including gross negligence manslaughter, perverting the course of justice, and misconduct in public office) were laid against six individuals.

Sky News yesterday

The trial of two retired police officers and a solicitor accused of perverting the course of justice following the Hillsborough disaster has collapsed after the judge ruled there was no case to answer.[b]

Retired South Yorkshire Police officers Donald Denton, 83, and Alan Foster, 74, and the force's former solicitor Peter Metcalf, 71, have all been acquitted.

The three men were each accused of two counts of doing acts tending and intended to pervert the course of justice.

It was alleged they were involved in a process of amending officers' statements to minimise the blame on South Yorkshire Police following the disaster at the FA Cup semi-final on 15 April 1989, in which 96 Liverpool fans died.

The ruling was handed down at the Nightingale court at the Lowry theatre in Salford on Wednesday.
Advertisement

Judge Mr Justice William Davis said the amended statements were intended for a public inquiry into safety at sports grounds led by Lord Justice Taylor, but that was not a course of public justice.

Margaret Aspinall, whose 18-year-old son James died at Hillsborough, said: "What a very sad day today is for the justice system in this country. 32 years the families have been fighting to get to the truth."

96 fans were unlawful killed, no case to answer, the only person has been convicted for anything related to the Hillsborough disaster: Graham Mackrell, the then Sheffield Wednesday secretary, of a safety offence, for which he was fined £6,500.

I wonder what would had happened had it been 96 police officers killed on that day

We as fans know how old bill operate at football matches, especially back then.

RIP 96 you will never be forgotten.
Posted by: WesternMariner, May 27, 2021, 11:48am; Reply: 1
As I understand it this case was kicked out because the prosecution messed up. They’ve charged the wrong offence and realised it too late so they’ve called the wrong evidence at the trial. The Judge in throwing the case out was careful to say it didn’t mean that the three defendants hadn’t done anything wrong just they were not guilty of what they were charged with. Not the Judges fault he has to apply the law, it’s incompetence at the Crown Prosecution Service.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 27, 2021, 1:54pm; Reply: 2
They got off on a technicality.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 27, 2021, 8:41pm; Reply: 3
The question is .......was it set up to fail by the CPS ?

Old boys and funny handshakes living on ?
Posted by: Azimuth, May 27, 2021, 9:05pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from KingstonMariner
They got off on a technicality.

It was indeed a technicality, if these people are never bought to justice we all know they were guilty, if at the start of this whole sorry saga someone had held their hands up and said "we intercoursed up" and explained the reasoning behind the decisions from the choice of venue to opening the gates it could have been put to bed with sorrow and regret and lessons learned, a tragic and utterly avoidable set of circumstances leading up to the events and terrrible mistakes made before, during and after the incident.
What is so unforgivable is the cover ups and shirking of responsibility from every person and organisation involved.
The fight will go on.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 27, 2021, 9:26pm; Reply: 5
Totally agree Azimouth. People will make mistakes. That’s regrettable. What’s unforgivable, and criminal is the lying and the cover-ups.
Posted by: friskneymariner, May 28, 2021, 6:27pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from WesternMariner
As I understand it this case was kicked out because the prosecution messed up. They’ve charged the wrong offence and realised it too late so they’ve called the wrong evidence at the trial. The Judge in throwing the case out was careful to say it didn’t mean that the three defendants hadn’t done anything wrong just they were not guilty of what they were charged with. Not the Judges fault he has to apply the law, it’s incompetence at the Crown Prosecution Service.

Should have been charged with  misconduct in public office.Total member up by C.P.S.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 28, 2021, 6:59pm; Reply: 7
The CPS, everyone’s favourite whipping boy, are in a no win situation. If they go for the lesser charge they get accused of going soft on the police officers and lawyer concerned.

I don’t think the descriptions I’ve read match what Western Mariner said. My reading of it is that the defendants’ statements were never intended to be used in a court situation, therefore technically they were not perverting the course of justice. So they were charged with the wrong thing not that the CPS brought the wrong evidence.

Still, what this does mean is that they can still be charged with something else as they are not being tried twice for the same thing. Hopefully it’s a case of “we go again” and there’s still a chance of justice. Hard for all concerned but if it means it’s also hanging over the heads of the defendants longer, I won’t be losing any sleep for them.

Be nice if justice is served before any more family members of the 96 die though.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, May 29, 2021, 12:52pm; Reply: 8
No justice? You ever thought the accused now elderly men may be innocent? Mistakes were made that day by the police, no doubt. But were Liverpool fans blame free? At the time Liverpool fans in particular travelled the country and beyond and it was a badge of honour to get there by train without paying or jump the turnstiles.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 29, 2021, 2:38pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from fishboyUTM
No justice? You ever thought the accused now elderly men may be innocent? Mistakes were made that day by the police, no doubt. But were Liverpool fans blame free? At the time Liverpool fans in particular travelled the country and beyond and it was a badge of honour to get there by train without paying or jump the turnstiles.

They should have thought about that when they were falsifying records.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 29, 2021, 2:39pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from fishboyUTM

They should have thought about that when they were falsifying records.

Besides if their own leadership had dealt with it properly near the time they could have had their day in court and either cleared or prosecuted.

The other thing that people like you fail to recognise is that people at the front weren't responsible for being crushed. 96 people didn't jump over the turnstyles, climb over thousands of people and squeeze into the front did they? flipping engage your brain before blaming the fans.
Posted by: DB, May 29, 2021, 2:46pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Care to send a copy of this post to the Liverpool Echo?

Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 29, 2021, 3:04pm; Reply: 12
Besides fishboy, the public inquiry has already shown that the crush wasn't caused by people jumping the turnstiles, and that the police officers falsified their accounts. Fuckin amazing how you still believe the lies despite the evidence.
Posted by: aldi_01, May 30, 2021, 6:46am; Reply: 13
I, along with many, love mocking scousers...but, in this case, the club/fans are irrelevant. It doesn’t matter who it was, the simple fact is once again those responsible are being protected or are simply being allowed to get away with it...

Jumping trains or turnstiles or not, it’s been proven that South Yorkshire’s not so finest copulated up.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 30, 2021, 8:38am; Reply: 14
Hate to say it but probably time to let it go now . A perfect storm of incompetence from the police, an archaic ground not safe for the numbers and with a previous near disaster on its record and a group of fans who had disregard for behaviour.
All very sad and a day that football will never forget . Unfortunately fans who just wanted to be there for the football were the ones who payed the ultimate price .
Posted by: ska face, May 30, 2021, 12:25pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Hate to say it but probably time to let it go now . A perfect storm of incompetence from the police, an archaic ground not safe for the numbers and with a previous near disaster on its record and a group of fans who had disregard for behaviour.
All very sad and a day that football will never forget . Unfortunately fans who just wanted to be there for the football were the ones who payed the ultimate price .

You’d hope if 96 town fans were unlawfully killed due to the fúck ups of, say Doddsy and Nick Dale (hypothetically speaking), and then the whole thing was covered up by the police, government and the press, that nobody ever said “ah just let it go”.

After all, town fans don’t have the best reputation, we’ve all seen the behaviour of pìssed up town fans on our travels, and I remember at Alfreton at least town fans steaming through open gates and turnstiles staffed by kids.

It it was your kids or mates asphyxiated, crushed under dead bodies or just left without treatment to die on the pitch while the police literally turned their backs and stood on the half way line, would you let it go?

There but for the grace of god & all that...
Posted by: fishboyUTM, May 30, 2021, 12:57pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from DB

Care to send a copy of this post to the Liverpool Echo?

I've my own opinion and I won't be shouted down. Liverpool fans were not blameless that day. They have been involved in other disasters of their own making. I'm not saying it was all them at Hillsborough, but I won't accept they are blameless either. They want their scapegoats, and no doubt their compo.
Posted by: smokey111, May 30, 2021, 1:32pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from fishboyUTM

I've my own opinion and I won't be shouted down. Liverpool fans were not blameless that day. They have been involved in other disasters of their own making. I'm not saying it was all them at Hillsborough, but I won't accept they are blameless either. They want their scapegoats, and no doubt their compo.

You believe they are motivated by money?
Posted by: DB, May 30, 2021, 1:34pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from fishboyUTM

I am not against you having an opinion, all of us are entitled to our opinion. it is what free speech is all about.

The problem at Hillsborough was that the gates were opened, although the ground was full, and let 100's of more fans in. The people responsible then tried to hide their actions which caused the death of the 96 fans.

There are accidents which cause people's deaths through circumstance that cannot be foreseen. Hillsborough was not one of those cases as the number trying to get in far exceeded the capacity.

'In his initial statement given in 1989, Mr. Marsh claimed a uniformed officer had told him and his colleagues to open the gate, but it was police themselves who had actually opened it. The court heard he was shown CCTV footage last year appearing to show it was actually him who opened the gate.'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-31416821

This is only a small part of the evidence but shows how one person denied any knowledge of wrongdoing until CCTV proved him wrong.

As you say, you have your opinions and won't be shouted down. If you feel that strongly about it write, email, or post in the Liverpool Echo and see what the people of Liverpool have to say.

Posted by: EY Mariner, May 30, 2021, 1:51pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from fishboyUTM

The inquests which ended in 2016 not only found that the 96 were unlawfully killed, but also concluded that the conduct of Liverpool supporters DID NOT contribute to the disaster. You can have your own opinion, but you would do well to reflect that a group of people who spent more than two years hearing evidence on what happened have the exact opposite view.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, May 30, 2021, 2:03pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from smokey111

You believe they are motivated by money?

For the most part, no.
Posted by: TAGG, May 30, 2021, 5:38pm; Reply: 21
What happened at Heysel?
The disaster occurred around an hour before kick-off as Liverpool fans broke into a section that was officially neutral but largely occupied by Juventus supporters, many of whom were expats staying in the local area.

Missiles started to be thrown between the supporters, who were standing on terraces separated only by a chain link fence and a poorly policed no-man’s land.

Liverpool supporters charged through the meagre barrier, causing the Italians to retreat.

With a perimeter wall blocking the exit of the Juventus supporters, the sheer weight of numbers, plus the crumbling nature of the stadium, causing it to collapse.

I can remember a benefit game was staged to say sorry!!!!
English clubs banned from Europe.
Don't think the 39 Juventus  fans got much justice.
Just saying

I am of the opinion the Stadium authorities and the Police should have answered for the tragedy at Hillsborough but some fans had a part to play to.
Posted by: Sandford1981, May 30, 2021, 5:39pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Another example of the ‘nowadays’  thinking that means belief is more important than fact. You have your prejudices and you are sticking to them regardless.

You cannot put the genie back in the bottle and in the minds of some, once lies were peddled their opinions were fixed.

It’s why the smear campaign, delaying tactics and cover up worked, because despite all the evidence to the contrary people still believe the fans were to blame.

It could have been any of us. football fans have long been treated as an underclass and their treatment that day was shocking and shameful. Little did we know that worse was to come.

It’s alright saying it’s time to let it go but would you? Honestly? I’m not sure I could.

Posted by: Yoda, May 30, 2021, 11:05pm; Reply: 23
Liverpool fans should not of rushed the gate
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 30, 2021, 11:17pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from ska face

You’d hope if 96 town fans were unlawfully killed due to the fúck ups of, say Doddsy and Nick Dale (hypothetically speaking), and then the whole thing was covered up by the police, government and the press, that nobody ever said “ah just let it go”.

After all, town fans don’t have the best reputation, we’ve all seen the behaviour of pìssed up town fans on our travels, and I remember at Alfreton at least town fans steaming through open gates and turnstiles staffed by kids.

It it was your kids or mates asphyxiated, crushed under dead bodies or just left without treatment to die on the pitch while the police literally turned their backs and stood on the half way line, would you let it go?

There but for the grace of god & all that...

I think I said incompetence from the police force in charge contributed to the disaster. Of course I’d never forgive that but it’ll never bring them back . Unless you move on you’ll never find peace . I can give you a personal explanation but I’m not going to do that on a public forum but feel free to DM me .
Posted by: BlackandWhiteBarmy2, May 30, 2021, 11:44pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

The passage of time should not be used as a defence for the guilty.

Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 31, 2021, 6:56am; Reply: 26

The passage of time should not be used as a defence for the guilty.

I didn’t defend anyone mate
Posted by: supertown, May 31, 2021, 7:11pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Sandford1981

Another example of the ‘nowadays’  thinking that means belief is more important than fact. You have your prejudices and you are sticking to them regardless.

You cannot put the genie back in the bottle and in the minds of some, once lies were peddled their opinions were fixed.

It’s why the smear campaign, delaying tactics and cover up worked, because despite all the evidence to the contrary people still believe the fans were to blame.

It could have been any of us. football fans have long been treated as an underclass and their treatment that day was shocking and shameful. Little did we know that worse was to come.

It’s alright saying it’s time to let it go but would you? Honestly? I’m not sure I could.

Hang on , you quote ‘fact’ . The fact is nobody has been successfully prosecuted for any offence(other than a minor health and safety offence). I think it was an impossible win situation. If those gates had stayed shut then there would probably still have been deaths and all we would hear is ‘why didn’t they open the gates’ .
The police and authorities did not set out to kill anyone at Hillsborough, the tragic circumstances did. Wether that was a combination of fans/ police decisions etc has been absolutely exhausted through the courts .
Sad sad event but I too think it’s time to let it rest (in peace)  
Posted by: Vance Warner, May 31, 2021, 8:25pm; Reply: 28
Amazing how people still blame Liverpool fans despite all the evidence to the contrary and the verdict of unlawful killing. Just shows the power that certain tabloids have with their lies. I prefer having a few drinks before a match and usually get there close to kick off. That’s not a crime and not dangerous unless an event is criminally mismanaged.
Posted by: Meza, May 31, 2021, 8:33pm; Reply: 29
It was a very sad day.  Personally I believe both were at fault.  The police for not acting properly and some of the Liverpool fans climbing over the ticket office booths which was probably the reason why they opened the gate which then allowed mass numbers of fans into the ground.

Posted by: Davec, May 31, 2021, 8:42pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Meza
It was a very sad day.  Personally I believe both were at fault.  The police for not acting properly and some of the Liverpool fans climbing over the ticket office booths which was probably the reason why they opened the gate which then allowed mass numbers of fans into the ground.

Wasn't they climbing over the ticket office booths in order to escape the crush outside the turnstiles which was being allowed to develop very dangerously
Posted by: Meza, May 31, 2021, 8:56pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Davec

Wasn't they climbing over the ticket office booths in order to escape the crush outside the turnstiles which was being allowed to develop very dangerously

I would have to see the documentary again,  it was just chaotic and that may well have been the case the police most definitely didn't cover themselves in glory maybe the police allowed the chaotic scenes to occur outside on purpose (let's face it police just see football fans as hooligans).

Wasn't there something about too many fans turned up, like they wasn't expecting the numbers of fans to be so high or something or was that something the police made up to use as a cop out.
Posted by: Davec, May 31, 2021, 9:17pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Meza

I would have to see the documentary again,  it was just chaotic and that may well have been the case the police most definitely didn't cover themselves in glory maybe the police allowed the chaotic scenes to occur outside on purpose (let's face it police just see football fans as hooligans).

Wasn't there something about too many fans turned up, like they wasn't expecting the numbers of fans to be so high or something or was that something the police made up to use as a cop out.

I think it was more a case of they turned up at the same time due to traffic problems rather than too many turning up, doesn't help that they was given the smaller end of the ground despite selling more tickets than notts forest.

Posted by: Meza, May 31, 2021, 9:42pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Davec

I think it was more a case of they turned up at the same time due to traffic problems rather than too many turning up, doesn't help that they was given the smaller end of the ground despite selling more tickets than notts forest.

Yeah I definitely need to see the documentary again.  Some bits are a bit vague.  So sad that it could have been avoided.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 31, 2021, 9:45pm; Reply: 34
It was argued before the game that Liverpool should have been given the opposite end as they had more fans.  The disaster (like many) had many separate errors that combined to the tragedy.  

I had 2 family connections to the disaster.   My dad had gone to the match as a neutral.  He was in the Leppings Lane end.   He said that he could see the crush building up and a lot worse than at other big games.   He managed to get lifted up to the higher tier and escaped any injury.  He was a pensioner at the time.

My daughter was a CPS Caseworker at York.  She was offered the chance to work on the Hillsborough prosecution.  Ironically, she could have taken a witness statement from her grandad.  
Posted by: Sandford1981, June 1, 2021, 6:24am; Reply: 35
Quoted from supertown

Hang on , you quote ‘fact’ . The fact is nobody has been successfully prosecuted for any offence(other than a minor health and safety offence). I think it was an impossible win situation. If those gates had stayed shut then there would probably still have been deaths and all we would hear is ‘why didn’t they open the gates’ .
The police and authorities did not set out to kill anyone at Hillsborough, the tragic circumstances did. Wether that was a combination of fans/ police decisions etc has been absolutely exhausted through the courts .
Sad sad event but I too think it’s time to let it rest (in peace)  

You are absolutely right that is fact and what a sad indictment of our justice system that is! It is just another indication the cover and corruption did what it was supposed to.

I have no problem with people viewing it as time to move on as people are of course entitled to their opinion even though I wholeheartedly disagree with it.

My issue is there are so many commenting on here who have very little knowledge of the events that transpired that day, which is obvious by some of the blissfully ignorant things that have been written.

I’ve got a book on Hillsborough sat on a shelf gathering dust. If anyone wants it, I’d be happy to post it out to them. I’d challenge anyone to read it and not come away realising how many falsehoods have been perpetuated by the media and how avoidable that day was.

Posted by: ska face, June 1, 2021, 12:23pm; Reply: 36
Fair play to those refusing to be shouted down and parroting the lines disproven by the findings of one of the most comprehensive inquests in British legal history.

A big victory for the outspoken free thinkers, just repeating what they’ve been told by Rupert Murdoch. baaa baaa
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 4, 2021, 12:57pm; Reply: 37
2 police forces to pay compensation to 600 people for the cover-up over Hillsborough.  This follows a long civil claim.  South Yorkshire Police and the West Midlands Force.  Not justice but a moral victory of sorts.  
Posted by: Vance Warner, June 5, 2021, 4:44pm; Reply: 38
For those commenting on the unlawful killing of 96 people without knowing the first thing about it the article below is a good starting point.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/01/hillsborough-inquest-survivor-adrian-tempany

The writer also has a cracking book called And the Sun Shines Now which covers Hillsborough and how it changed football.
Posted by: Sandford1981, June 9, 2021, 8:05am; Reply: 39
Quoted from Meza

https://youtu.be/_7Dr0PvggVI

I came across this - Worth 40 minutes of anyone’s time.

Posted by: The Yard Dog, June 9, 2021, 12:42pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Vance Warner
For those commenting on the unlawful killing of 96 people without knowing the first thing about it the article below is a good starting point.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/01/hillsborough-inquest-survivor-adrian-tempany

The writer also has a cracking book called And the Sun Shines Now which covers Hillsborough and how it changed football.

I have read  "The Report of the Hillsborough Independent Panel" which is 389 pages long.
I still have copy its in PDF format, if anyone interested.
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 12:09pm