Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), May 26, 2021, 8:27am
I am not saying the present Forum pages are no good, they are fine, however seeing how things are changing within the club, more professional videos, has the club shop been upgraded?  Anyway it's just a thought that maybe we could upgrade the Fishy Forum to go along with the new image of the club!   Just asking............
Posted by: SomeSanity, May 26, 2021, 8:56am; Reply: 1
If it’s not broke don’t fix it.

The quality of the videos hasn’t changed it’s just got a nice shiny intro. ( I never said what the quality of the videos was before)
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 26, 2021, 9:52am; Reply: 2
The only big change to improve the fishy would be to enable uploading pics etc onto a post a lot simpler.
Posted by: buckstown, May 26, 2021, 10:48am; Reply: 3
I've had a bit of time on my hands for the last 12 months or so and  look at a lot of forums. The fishy is pretty good compared to many. Some of them are very difficult to navigate and follow threads
Posted by: HistonMariner, May 26, 2021, 12:20pm; Reply: 4
Totally agree that other club forums are often very difficult to navigate, some are near impossible - though I totally accept my inadequate technical ability.  

The Fishy will naturally get better if things continue as we all hope AND results on the pitch improve likewise.  
I personally find that Ignoring some of the ‘trolls’ is a help - though it is not always easy.

Don’t fix what isn’t broken
Posted by: crusty ole pie, May 26, 2021, 12:26pm; Reply: 5
Leave it alone with the ease of adding a picture
Posted by: GrimRob, May 26, 2021, 12:41pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Leave it alone with the ease of adding a picture

I'll have a look at improving that. I normally change one or two things a year, that'll probably be next.

Another thing potentially is registration, at the moment you have to have a Google account to register but you still need a username/password. I have been looking into a single sign-on plugin that would enable you to log in with social media accounts like Facebook/Twitter or to still have your own username/password if you really want. I don't want to change anything for any existing users so whatever I come up with won't entail having to have new logins or passwords!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 26, 2021, 1:19pm; Reply: 7
Flashier forums don’t win you three points on a Saturday.
Posted by: DB, May 26, 2021, 1:29pm; Reply: 8
I've only been here since Christmas and is the only social media I use, not interested in Facebook, Twitter, etc. I think Rob does an excellent job, makes it easy to use, log on and go between threads.

As others have said if it's not broke, well used then why try to fix something that is more or less perfect.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), May 26, 2021, 2:34pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Flashier forums don’t win you three points on a Saturday.

Neither do professionally presented videos, or a new football strip, or fish and chips on home matchdays.  I wasn't even thinking about it being 'flashy', just maybe a touch of paint, such as black, white and red.

Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, May 26, 2021, 2:42pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from GrimRob

I'll have a look at improving that. I normally change one or two things a year, that'll probably be next.

Another thing potentially is registration, at the moment you have to have a Google account to register but you still need a username/password. I have been looking into a single sign-on plugin that would enable you to log in with social media accounts like Facebook/Twitter or to still have your own username/password if you really want. I don't want to change anything for any existing users so whatever I come up with won't entail having to have new logins or passwords!

Great stuff Rob, thanks. I'll add my voice to the pictures feedback, it's a royal pain...
Posted by: Mayaman, May 26, 2021, 3:00pm; Reply: 11
I don't know how to add photos.  Think I wanted to once. Other than that it works.  I recently went on Brentford's website to wish them luck for the play-off final. What a nightmare to navigate and they refused me. So I thought stuff em then.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 26, 2021, 3:33pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from 123614

Neither do professionally presented videos, or a new football strip, or fish and chips on home matchdays.  I wasn't even thinking about it being 'flashy', just maybe a touch of paint, such as black, white and red.

Wasn’t having a dig at you Bear. It was a sarky dig at our former leader
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 26, 2021, 3:40pm; Reply: 13
It's probally not an issue, but, the only thing that kinda concerns me is, with popular internet forum packages such as vBulletin, phpBB, XenForo, they seem to have very regular updates. The current version of E-Blah hasn't had any updates for nearly 13-years.  I'm no expert, but does this mean E-Blah is more open to exploits and hacking?

I've probally had this conversation before....
Posted by: moosey_club, May 26, 2021, 5:07pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
It's probally not an issue, but, the only thing that kinda concerns me is, with popular internet forum packages such as vBulletin, phpBB, XenForo, they seem to have very regular updates. The current version of E-Blah hasn't had any updates for nearly 13-years.  I'm no expert, but does this mean E-Blah is more open to exploits and hacking?

E blah gum...
Posted by: MarinerDevil, May 26, 2021, 5:11pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Nelly GTFC

Probably, although most information on here is public anyway, apart from PMs.  It sounds like from Rob's post above that the site is using Google's authentication, which conforms to modern standards.  Purely out of a technical interest, what would migrating to a modern forum system entail?  Could you keep similar functionality and styling?

Posted by: GrimRob, May 26, 2021, 5:53pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Nelly GTFC

I've been updating it so although the official code hasn't been changed for ages my version been upgraded for modern things like mobile phones, https, twitter, recaptcha which have come along since the code was written. I also regularly run security checks which flag up vulnerabilities and usually it's an easy fix.

Even if the official version was upgraded I probably wouldn't take the code without going through it line by line.
Posted by: Meza, May 26, 2021, 6:43pm; Reply: 17
Maybe Rob could add a twitter feed for match days for those that can't attend games or afford to watch online.  Instead of having to post updates all the time.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, May 26, 2021, 7:15pm; Reply: 18
[quote=140776]I've only been here since Christmas

Yep don’t we know....

Loved much more than Phillipe though!
Posted by: DB, May 26, 2021, 7:23pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Bristol Mariner

Yep don’t we know....

Thank you ;)

Posted by: DB, May 26, 2021, 7:24pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Bristol Mariner

Yep don’t we know....

Thank you. ;)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 26, 2021, 10:02pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from DB

Thank you ;)

It’s not a high benchmark to be fair

😂
Posted by: Mayaman, May 27, 2021, 1:22am; Reply: 22
i remember when the GT had an interactive feed during match days.  It was much easier to read as comments came in.  I do appreaciate the match thread on here (especially when ifollow or the net was playing up) but it is a little cumbersome for following the match.
Posted by: Davec, May 28, 2021, 7:35am; Reply: 23
An interactive feed on here would be a good option to make it easier to follow the game but I would still like posters to post their own posts as I enjoy reading peoples opinions as the game goes on, I would hate for the thread to be live updates only and no opinion allowed like it is on other forums.
Print page generated: May 23, 2024, 3:33pm