Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: DB, March 26, 2021, 1:19pm
The team must be full of confidence following that win against Barrow with another spectacular goal. I thought they all put a lot of effort, commitment, and passion into the game and couldn't really pick out a single man of the match although Menayese and Hewitt did very well.

As for Walsall, their team must be down in the dumps with 3 shots on target against a 10 man Southend team. Can't see manager Brian Dutton being top of the list for man-management calling his team of playing “brain-dead football”. It will not inspire them with confidence, I hope.

As for the result. I'm full of optimistic confidence for a definite win for Town. Staying up.
Posted by: pen penfras, March 26, 2021, 1:42pm; Reply: 1
I doubt we're full of confidence whilst being dead bottom, but promising signs the last few weeks. Hopefully it's not too late, but tomorrow is a must win
Posted by: DB, March 26, 2021, 1:46pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from pen penfras
I doubt we're full of confidence whilst being dead bottom, but promising signs the last few weeks. Hopefully it's not too late, but tomorrow is a must win

Come off it, 4 draws and a win is more than promising.
Posted by: RonMariner, March 26, 2021, 2:58pm; Reply: 3
A win in this one could be a major turning point for us. Back to back wins is exactly what we have been waiting for so so long.
Posted by: Teestogreen, March 26, 2021, 4:51pm; Reply: 4
For what it’s worth - I spent 2 nights in Furness Hospital last week and had some great chat with Barrow supporters in my ward - one of them let me listen in to Tranmere game.
Hope Barrow and us stay up.
Mate of mine supports Walsall, but no apologies - if Town can beat Walsall on Saturday - game on for Town survival in League 2 - May be a Walsall massive slump
Posted by: wigworld, March 26, 2021, 5:48pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Teestogreen
For what it’s worth - I spent 2 nights in Furness Hospital last week

Hope you're OK?

Posted by: Teestogreen, March 26, 2021, 6:16pm; Reply: 6
Cheers Wigworld. Template biopsy has revealed no prostate cancer - just got to get catheter removed next week.
UTM - I’m a Grimsby fan - and it’s all in the mind 😀
Posted by: lukeo, March 26, 2021, 7:24pm; Reply: 7
Good to hear you're ok!

Must win game tomorrow and I genuinely believe we will
UTM
Posted by: Teestogreen, March 26, 2021, 7:32pm; Reply: 8
Cheers Lukeo
Trust all is well with you down in Devon - I think
I feel that Town will be massively motivated to win tomorrow 🤞
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 26, 2021, 9:11pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Teestogreen
Cheers Wigworld. Template biopsy has revealed no prostate cancer - just got to get catheter removed next week.

I feel for you mate. I had a catheter immediately after my brain tumour op and it was awful. So much so I requested not to have one when I had a further op after complication.

It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't had one what a horrible experience it is.

Glad to hear you are cancer free though mate.
Posted by: Teestogreen, March 26, 2021, 9:21pm; Reply: 10
Cheers Les.
Well - if Town score a goal for every catheter insertion I had last week - it will be 6-0.
Come on Paul - let’s have 6
UTM
Posted by: Kris2, March 26, 2021, 9:28pm; Reply: 11
Team can only deal with the game in front of them until it's impossible to stay up, same for fans really. Hope to build on the things we've seen, more solid in defence and people willing to take a shot at goal instead of trying to walk it into the net. Sometimes the lads just have to take the chances that come their way instead of be too cautious.
Posted by: petethemariner, March 26, 2021, 9:46pm; Reply: 12
I think most of us just want to see the  sometimes ultra caution put away and just give it a real positive go  for the next few games, if it isn't enough, any sensible GTFC fan would accept it and feel a whole lot more positive for next season.
Come on PH and the lads, miracles can happen!
UTM
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, March 26, 2021, 10:02pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from petethemariner
I think most of us just want to see the  sometimes ultra caution put away and just give it a real positive go  for the next few games, if it isn't enough, any sensible GTFC fan would accept it and feel a whole lot more positive for next season.
Come on PH and the lads, miracles can happen!
UTM

Caveat - I am a PH fanboy.

I do admit he is pragmatic, cautious and reactive.

But it’s impossible to attack for 90 mins and I feel we have more chance of 1.5-1.7 ppm if we grind out the dour 1-0 shades of grey that ‘could’ enable our survival.

Keep us shape. Keep us tight. Keep us League Two.

Nil-nil to 70 mins, condense the match, set-piece, repeat.

I do think we need to at least avoid defeat tomorrow though. It’s not must win, but it’s close.

1-0 Hewitt ‘82 mins, with the shïttïest goal you could ever hope to see to win the ‘Buckley Derby’.
Posted by: bawarmy, March 26, 2021, 10:13pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Teestogreen
Cheers Lukeo
Trust all is well with you down in Devon - I think
I feel that Town will be massively motivated to win tomorrow 🤞

Can you imagine 5000  fans  in BP though? I genuinely think if the fans could be there we would be flying tomorrow.
Posted by: DB, March 26, 2021, 10:28pm; Reply: 15

But it’s impossible to attack for 90 mins and I feel we have more chance of 1.5-1.7 ppm if we grind out the dour 1-0 shades of grey that ‘could’ enable our survival.

I do think we need to at least avoid defeat tomorrow though. It’s not must win, but it’s close.

1-0 Hewitt ‘82 mins, with the shïttïest goal you could ever hope to see to win the ‘Buckley Derby’.

I have to disagree with you about tomorrow. We are 9 points behind Walsall and need to close the gap to stand a chance of staying up, so to me it is a must win game.

As it is in the league your 1.5 - 1.7 ppm would give us 46/48 points so depending on the results of others it might be enough, which really does make it a must win.

With Exeter, Cheltenham, Bolton, Cambridge, and Salford coming up are all going to be tough games; Bradford, Morecombe, Oldham, and Port Vale are not going to be easy but we should get decent results from those 4.

Staying up is doable and a win tomorrow would take the strain of needing wins in the last 2/3 games.

UTM
Posted by: DB, March 26, 2021, 10:33pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from bawarmy

Can you imagine 5000  fans  in BP though? I genuinely think if the fans could be there we would be flying tomorrow.

If we had fans in all season we wouldn't be in this mess. Holloway would have been out sooner and any player not pulling his weight would have known about it.

I don't know how many points at home we would have had if fans were allowed in, but I recall when George Kerr was manager he reckoned home fans were worth at least one goal.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 26, 2021, 10:38pm; Reply: 17

I know what you’re saying, but if you try that then do go a goal behind, can we switch it quickly enough to go for goals?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 26, 2021, 10:39pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from DB

If we had fans in all season we wouldn't be in this mess. Holloway would have been out sooner and any player not pulling his weight would have known about it.

I don't know how many points at home we would have had if fans were allowed in, but I recall when George Kerr was manager he reckoned home fans were worth at least one goal.

That might have been the case with 10,000 in there, mostly stood up, but half that sat down isn’t the same.
Posted by: DB, March 26, 2021, 10:44pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from KingstonMariner

That might have been the case with 10,000 in there, mostly stood up, but half that sat down isn’t the same.

I agree but with even 4,000 it would have made a difference, especially in getting rid of Holloway.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 26, 2021, 10:47pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Teestogreen

I know how you feel mate I had the same a few years back.

Not a nice experience .
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, March 26, 2021, 10:53pm; Reply: 21

I know what you’re saying, but if you try that then do go a goal behind, can we switch it quickly enough to go for goals?

Ok. 2-1 (Menayese 87, 89). 😘
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 26, 2021, 11:14pm; Reply: 22

Ok. 2-1 (Menayese 87, 89). 😘

That’d be good.

But I wouldn’t let Humbo catch you being diverse like that sweetie. He’s likely to blow a gasket. 😘
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, March 26, 2021, 11:16pm; Reply: 23

That’d be good.

But I wouldn’t let Humbo catch you being diverse like that sweetie. He’s likely to blow a gasket. 😘

Even gammon is pink. UTM
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 27, 2021, 7:38am; Reply: 24
Quoted from Teestogreen
Cheers Les.
Well - if Town score a goal for every catheter insertion I had last week - it will be 6-0.
Come on Paul - let’s have 6
UTM

6?? Are you sure you don't mean a canular?

A canular is what they put in your hand or arm so they can put drugs into you intravenously, a catheter is what they put in down below with a bag so that you don't have to go for a urine.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, March 27, 2021, 8:38am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Les Brechin

I feel for you mate. I had a catheter immediately after my brain tumour op and it was awful. So much so I requested not to have one when I had a further op after complication.

It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't had one what a horrible experience it is.

Glad to hear you are cancer free though mate.

I had a catheter inserted when I was rushed back to hospital after falling very ill following a routine operation (readmitted the day before the start of 2011/12 season so I was in hospital when we lost 2-0 at home to Fleetwood). It didn't really bother me from a medical point of view. The male nurse asked me if I minded if a student nurse (also male) inserted it under his supervision. I said "yes, go ahead". Obviously it's quite humiliating from a privacy point of view to have 2 blokes sticking a tube up your urethra, but I was in QMC's Trauma unit and they needed a wee sample for tests and I was failing to provide one. It was a bit annoying being tethered to a hospital bed by my tackle for 2 or 3 days (became more of an annoyance as I started feeling better) but I was in a ward with some very seriously ill people who had needed life changing surgery (amputations, bowels removed/bypassed etc...) and I just thought "I'm the lucky one here, I've got nothing to complain about".

A week or so later I was admitted to the brand new, shiny Peterborough City hospital with the same issue. A doctor there decided he needed to do a prostate check on me. My mum and partner left the A&E cubicle I was in and I looked at the doctor putting his gloves on and I swear he had bigger hands than Pat Jennings. That was worse from my experience.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, March 27, 2021, 8:55am; Reply: 26
Anyway.... let's give the Saddlers a good thrashing today.

This could be our 2001/02 Crystal Palace match. When we thought we had no/limited goals in us and suddenly we started scoring goals for fun.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, March 27, 2021, 9:10am; Reply: 27
Join us again next week for another edition of Catheter and Prostate News.
Posted by: thefish, March 27, 2021, 9:12am; Reply: 28

‘I can’t pissing wait!’
Posted by: buckstown, March 27, 2021, 9:22am; Reply: 29
Surely it's a must win today. Get Walsall dragged in, close the gap on Barrow etc. Will also give the boys a massive psychological boost winning two on the bounce. Assume it would be the first time this season?
Posted by: pontoonlew, March 27, 2021, 9:30am; Reply: 30
Quoted from buckstown
Surely it's a must win today. Get Walsall dragged in, close the gap on Barrow etc. Will also give the boys a massive psychological boost winning two on the bounce. Assume it would be the first time this season?

Staggeringly, no. We beat Cheltenham and Orient away back to back in October.

Today is massive, I feel when the season is over, we’ll look back on today as either the day we got back in it and therefore out of it (somehow) or we’ll view it as the final nail in the coffin.
Posted by: pen penfras, March 27, 2021, 9:40am; Reply: 31

I'd say Hurst is the least reactive manager I can think of. Doesn't matter how badly we're playing, he won't change it until about 70 minutes when it's usually too late.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, March 27, 2021, 9:46am; Reply: 32
Quoted from pen penfras

I'd say Hurst is the least reactive manager I can think of. Doesn't matter how badly we're playing, he won't change it until about 70 minutes when it's usually too late.

He is certainly not reactive

Fingers crossed for today
Posted by: buckstown, March 27, 2021, 9:53am; Reply: 33
He did make 2 subs at half time against Mansfield, that's almost Mourinho-esque
Posted by: quebec38, March 27, 2021, 10:04am; Reply: 34
You need to go back to November/December to see Walsall in a bit of form and since then they haven’t done much better than us. V similar in fact.

I really, really hope we just go at them again today. We were left with no choice but to go for it at Barrow and we got the right result. It wasn’t all on that result though, today is another Barrow and then we have another two again next weekend. That is how monumental the task ahead of us is.

Let’s hope the gap to 22nd at 5pm is 4 points.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 27, 2021, 10:19am; Reply: 35
Another match day and it's blowing a gale again. Seems to happen every time we play.

Given our run in, I think our task is looking increasingly unlikely, especially so if we don't win today.
Posted by: Poojah, March 27, 2021, 10:24am; Reply: 36
Quoted from quebec38
You need to go back to November/December to see Walsall in a bit of form and since then they haven’t done much better than us. V similar in fact.

I really, really hope we just go at them again today. We were left with no choice but to go for it at Barrow and we got the right result. It wasn’t all on that result though, today is another Barrow and then we have another two again next weekend. That is how monumental the task ahead of us is.

Let’s hope the gap to 22nd at 5pm is 4 points.

Good post. Given the choice though, I think I’d take a Colchester defeat over one for Barrow - that and a win for Town would put us 5 points behind them with a game in hand.

All ifs and buts and immaterial if we don’t pick up three points ourselves. We have to concentrate on our own performance and result, which I imagine is just what the ultra-pragmatic Hurst us doing right now.
Posted by: toontown, March 27, 2021, 10:39am; Reply: 37
Quoted from pen penfras

I thought the exact same thing, he is exceptionally unreactive to a match being played out in front of him. Almost never makes a sub until 60 mins gone no matter how bad someone is performing/the team is performing, usually waits until 70 mins.

He does all his reacting prior to the match in a way, when he is very conscious of how he expects an oppo team to set up, and prepares his team based on that. If it doesn't work he doesn't react though

Posted by: sydney, March 27, 2021, 11:37am; Reply: 38
Come on Town
Let’s build off the back of the Barrow result
Another win today and there is a little light in the long dark tunnel of this season
1-0 will do
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 27, 2021, 12:23pm; Reply: 39
For any doubters, we haven't not won today yet.   Remain positive.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 27, 2021, 12:44pm; Reply: 40

Meanwhile to see us out is the Police with “Don't Stand So Colostomy”.
Posted by: rancido, March 27, 2021, 1:59pm; Reply: 41

Great and I can also contribute and supply photos from my latest colonoscopy - in magnificent technicolour!!! lol
Posted by: Humbercod, March 27, 2021, 2:06pm; Reply: 42
Another £10 submitted .... my big toe back on the Hurst train.
Come on town we can still do this  🙏
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, March 27, 2021, 2:37pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Humbercod
Another £10 submitted .... my big toe back on the Hurst train.
Come on town we can still do this  🙏

No shouting at the TV.....I've already been told to calm it down in the house!..
Posted by: Humbercod, March 27, 2021, 3:55pm; Reply: 44
TV still standing mate😂
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, March 27, 2021, 3:56pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Humbercod
TV still standing mate😂

🤣🤣🤣🤣..
Posted by: Teestogreen, March 27, 2021, 5:18pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Les Brechin

6?? Are you sure you don't mean a canular?

A canular is what they put in your hand or arm so they can put drugs into you intravenously, a catheter is what they put in down below with a bag so that you don't have to go for a urine.

6 Les - just had 2 canulars. Must be some sort of a record.

6 matches unbeaten as well!
Print page generated: May 23, 2024, 12:44am