Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Non Football  /  
Posted by: Humbercod, March 14, 2021, 9:36am
Sad news this morning to hear about the sudden death of a ring legend. Marvin was the undisputed middleweight world champion for many years at a time the division was awash with world class fighters. I’d recommend to anybody who enjoys their boxing to look up some of his fights that are on YouTube against middleweight legends like Hitman Hearn, Sugar Ray Leonard and Hands of stone Roberto Duran (a personal favourite of mine) to see the art of boxing at its absolute best.

RIP Marvin.
Posted by: Rick12, March 14, 2021, 9:44am; Reply: 1
Humbercod very sad and surprised to hear of the news of his passing this morning. Undisclosed death I read.

For me he is my second favourite fighter behind Sugar Ray Robinson. I loved his discipline  when he was fighting. Lived almost like a monk.

A sad day for all true lovers of boxing. We have lost one of the best ever in this world at a relatively young age.

God rest your soul Marvin.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, March 14, 2021, 11:23am; Reply: 2
He was a great fighter but it was a bad night when he took the title from Alan Minter in 1980. Remember that riot that followed?

The Hagler-Hearns bout became known as The War. The first round was incredible and Although it only lasted 3 rounds I always felt this fight took a lot out of Hagler.

A sad loss, much too soon.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, March 14, 2021, 11:37am; Reply: 3
Sad news, he was an absolute warrior.

Even though I was only 9 at the time I still remember watching the Sugar Ray Leonard fight with my dad. It was one of them were ITV had got the rights to broadcast the replay and stuck it into the middle of the peak evening schedule for full exposure rather than letting it slip into the late night timeslot on Midweek Sports Special. My entry point into watching boxing.

Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 14, 2021, 11:52am; Reply: 4
That fight against Thomas Hearns (even though short) was the best fight I’ve ever seen, them two were warriors, I grew up watching Marvin Hagler and it was through him (as well as other greats) that got me into boxing. R.I.P
Posted by: Rick12, March 14, 2021, 11:56am; Reply: 5

The Hagler-Hearns bout became known as The War. The first round was incredible and Although it only lasted 3 rounds I always felt this fight took a lot out of Hagler.

The golden era of boxing Ron when the best fought the best. How boxing should be .

Quoted from Manchester Mariner
Sad news, he was an absolute warrior.

Even though I was only 9 at the time I still remember watching the Sugar Ray Leonard fight with my dad.
It was sad how Marvin Hagler had to do it the hard way Mariner  .In his first pro fight only earned  $40  whereas Sugar Ray Leonard had a much smoother and financially more rewarding  ride - $40,000 for his first professional fight.
Posted by: Rick12, March 14, 2021, 12:06pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from cmackenzie4
That fight against Thomas Hearns (even though short) was the best fight I’ve ever seen, them two were warriors, I grew up watching Marvin Hagler and it was through him (as well as other greats) that got me into boxing. R.I.P
Yes brilliant fight. Still cant quite believe that Marvin Hagler has died. Such a healthy person in his prime.

Posted by: smokey111, March 17, 2021, 10:34pm; Reply: 7
He was a great fighter but it was a bad night when he took the title from Alan Minter in 1980. Remember that riot that followed?

Amazing night IMO. Minter got a sound beating and thoroughly deserved.

Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 3:07am