Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: thefish, November 14, 2020, 8:29am
I’ll be mostly supporting (fill in the blank)!

For me, it’ll be Oldham- no doubt a popular choice!
Posted by: tintowner, November 14, 2020, 8:56am; Reply: 1
Quoted from thefish
I’ll be mostly supporting (fill in the blank)!

For me, it’ll be Oldham- no doubt a popular choice!

O yes.....definitely Oldham .

A close friend of mine is a Scunt supporter. He is in total denial of everything and says its just a blip and everything is rosy.
He has an excuse for every result, thinks Cox  and Swan are brilliant, harps on about a new ground and ....well.....he refuses to see what everybody else sees.

Posted by: forza ivano, November 14, 2020, 9:22am; Reply: 2
Btw what was swan saying on humberside the other day? Think a poster said it was an interesting listen, but I never got round to hearing what he had to say
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, November 14, 2020, 9:24am; Reply: 3
Hmmmm, as I understand it there is no new ground coming, but are redeveloping Glumford Park.
Cannot see them doing that either.
Posted by: golfer, November 14, 2020, 9:30am; Reply: 4
Moving to Old Show Ground
Posted by: buckstown, November 14, 2020, 9:46am; Reply: 5
Today I will be avidly following San Marino v Gibraltar in the Nations league. Possibility of a rare win for one of them.
If they dropped this game into the english pyramid which league, based on ability, would it be in? League two is my guess
Posted by: thefish, November 14, 2020, 9:51am; Reply: 6
Quoted from buckstown
Today I will be avidly following San Marino v Gibraltar in the Nations league. Possibility of a rare win for one of them.
If they dropped this game into the english pyramid which league, based on ability, would it be in? League two is my guess

Whatever happened to the McKeown San Marino link?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 14, 2020, 9:57am; Reply: 7
Quoted from thefish

He can't find the paperwork to prove his grandad (I think) was from there.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), November 14, 2020, 10:06am; Reply: 8
Quoted from jamesgtfc

He can't find the paperwork to prove his grandad (I think) was from there.

I think it's more to do with San Marino not wanting their GK to give goals away and score an own goal that a Sunday League GK would have been disappointed with.

Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 14, 2020, 10:09am; Reply: 9
Quoted from buckstown

A large portion of both teams are part-time so I doubt if they could compete at our level. Between them you might get a team that could compete at this level. Gibraltar have had a few higher profile players play for them.
Posted by: HistonMariner, November 14, 2020, 10:42am; Reply: 10
.......I’ll be supporting Barrow.

Because, 1) I’m fed up with Cambridge fans gloating over their season so far.
                2) I want an over nighter at Barrow next season sharing complete balderdash over lashings of
                    lemonade with fellow Mariners who for equally perverse reasons want to spend ‘an
                    evening in Barrow.’

UTMM.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 14, 2020, 10:48am; Reply: 11

Been to Gibraltar, done the caves monkeys and all that.

A bit industrial in places but loved it, England in the sun.

Only downside..... Lincoln Red Imps F.C. play there   ??)
Posted by: Gaffer58, November 14, 2020, 11:35am; Reply: 12
Always support whoever the scunts are playing, I don’t want them to win anything, not even the toss of the coin.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 14, 2020, 12:27pm; Reply: 13
San Marino might give Grimmo Borough a game.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 14, 2020, 12:53pm; Reply: 14
Peterborough.....well Siriki anyway.  Another high profile performance please.
Posted by: denni266, November 14, 2020, 12:54pm; Reply: 15
Fi tting a new bathroon
Posted by: rancido, November 14, 2020, 1:12pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
Hmmmm, as I understand it there is no new ground coming, but are redeveloping Glumford Park.
Cannot see them doing that either.

As the saying goes "you can't polish a turd". It will probably change from an old fashioned bike shed to a tarted up bike shed.
Posted by: rancido, November 14, 2020, 1:14pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from golfer
Moving to Old Show Ground

Now that was almost a complete misnomer apart from "old"!
Posted by: Croxton, November 14, 2020, 1:27pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from HistonMariner
.......I’ll be supporting Barrow.

Because, 1) I’m fed up with Cambridge fans gloating over their season so far.
                2) I want an over nighter at Barrow next season sharing complete balderdash over lashings of
                    lemonade with fellow Mariners who for equally perverse reasons want to spend ‘an
                    evening in Barrow.’

UTMM.

Ditto. Chance to catch up on this year's cancelled trips to The Lakes.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 14, 2020, 1:51pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from thefish

The San Marino authorities, much to the annoyance of their manager, refuse to accept players from the diaspora and will only select players born in San Marino.apparently there are a fair few half decent players who would qualify for them if the rules were relaxed
Posted by: GollyGTFC, November 14, 2020, 1:53pm; Reply: 20
I went to England v San Marino at the old Wembley back in 1993. David Platt scored 4 and missed a penalty. Carlton Palmer & Les Ferdinand got the other 2 in a 6-0 win. I remember from back then that the San Marino goalkeeper was also their coach driver. So maybe if James McKeown did his category D they might be interested in him.
Posted by: mimma, November 14, 2020, 2:45pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from forza ivano

The San Marino authorities, much to the annoyance of their manager, refuse to accept players from the diaspora and will only select players born in San Marino.apparently there are a fair few half decent players who would qualify for them if the rules were relaxed

fair play and respect to them for that. There are some players that turn up to an international, and can't even speak the languish !
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, November 14, 2020, 3:07pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from mimma
There are some players that turn up to an international, and can't even speak the languish !

Are you having a go at Wayne Rooney?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 14, 2020, 3:31pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from mimma

fair play and respect to them for that. There are some players that turn up to an international, and can't even speak the languish !

😂😂😂😂
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 14, 2020, 3:32pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I went to England v San Marino at the old Wembley back in 1993. David Platt scored 4 and missed a penalty. Carlton Palmer & Les Ferdinand got the other 2 in a 6-0 win. I remember from back then that the San Marino goalkeeper was also their coach driver. So maybe if James McKeown did his category D they might be interested in him.

I suppose that reduces the risk of the goalie being thrown under a bus.
Posted by: TAGG, November 14, 2020, 3:39pm; Reply: 25
Watching the Scunts
They look a  lot better with Van veen
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 14, 2020, 3:48pm; Reply: 26

Seeing as Town aren't playing thought I'd listen to the Scunny commentary on Humberside for a change (come on Oldham)

Has George Kerr given up co-commentating these days?
Posted by: golfer, November 14, 2020, 3:52pm; Reply: 27
Think he's in line to be their next manager
Posted by: TAGG, November 14, 2020, 4:12pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from promotion plaice

Seeing as Town aren't playing thought I'd listen to the Scunny commentary on Humberside for a change (come on Oldham)

Has George Kerr given up co-commentating these days?

George has got his feet up now he trotting on a bit.
Great bloke
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 14, 2020, 4:24pm; Reply: 29

Oldham sound shiite.
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 14, 2020, 4:36pm; Reply: 30

Oldham sound shiite.

Of course I’d love scunny to go down, but our goal is, unfortunately, not to be one of the two worst sides. If it’s Oldham, so be it. I doubt it, though. I still worry we’re in the excrement. Time will tell.
Posted by: buckstown, November 14, 2020, 4:43pm; Reply: 31
Looking like a bad day at black rock. Scunts, Mansfield and Stevenage all winning, Southend not losing.
And its rained all day and i haven't been out of the house.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 14, 2020, 5:01pm; Reply: 32
Southend won. Tranmere won. Barrow got a late point
Posted by: Croxton, November 14, 2020, 5:05pm; Reply: 33
Tranmere game highlights should be a good watch. Sending off, seven goals, late drama etc.

Details:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54850549
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 14, 2020, 5:09pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Heisenberg

Of course I’d love scunny to go down, but our goal is, unfortunately, not to be one of the two worst sides. If it’s Oldham, so be it. I doubt it, though. I still worry we’re in the excrement. Time will tell.

It might be your goal but it certainly isn’t mine
Posted by: forza ivano, November 14, 2020, 5:29pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from mimma

Agreed - you only have to listen to jamie carragher to know how right you are😂😂😂
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 14, 2020, 5:40pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from pontoonlew

It might be your goal but it certainly isn’t mine

I’ve given up living in your deluded world, no offence. And when I say “our”, I’m talking about the club, not the fans.
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 14, 2020, 6:17pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Heisenberg

I’ve given up living in your deluded world, no offence. And when I say “our”, I’m talking about the club, not the fans.

I don’t think a ‘don’t be last’ motto is one to live by if I’m honest
Posted by: TAGG, November 14, 2020, 6:37pm; Reply: 38

Oldham sound shiite.

Oldham not very good but ye can't take it away from Scunthorpe they were better all over the pitch.
Von veen was the best player on the pitch, wish we had some one who can influence a game like him.
Posted by: thefish, November 14, 2020, 7:36pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from TAGG

Oldham not very good but ye can't take it away from Scunthorpe they were better all over the pitch.
Von veen was the best player on the pitch, wish we had some one who can influence a game like him.

If he was more consistent, I’d agree.

From what I’ve heard, he can be the best player on the pitch but it’s once in a while not most games.
Posted by: Croxton, November 14, 2020, 8:00pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Croxton
Tranmere game highlights should be a good watch. Sending off, seven goals, late drama etc.

Details:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54850549

Having seen it, I should add that home advantage has withered and been superseded by referee decisions. In other games, more evidence of playing out from the back clangers.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/league-two/12132639/port-vale-3-4-tranmere
Posted by: ginnywings, November 14, 2020, 8:12pm; Reply: 41
I walked the dog up to t'fitties and back, before spending the afternoon in my workshop with an audiobook in the background.

Didn't miss football at all and the longer this situation goes on, the less interested I become.

Don't know if I'll get my Town mojo back when crowds are allowed in again.
Posted by: bawarmy, November 14, 2020, 9:19pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from tintowner

O yes.....definitely Oldham .

A close friend of mine is a Scunt supporter. He is in total denial of everything and says its just a blip and everything is rosy.
He has an excuse for every result, thinks Cox  and Swan are brilliant, harps on about a new ground and ....well.....he refuses to see what everybody else sees.

Most men in Scunthorpe like Cox. It’s a known fact.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 15, 2020, 12:16am; Reply: 43

Oldham sound shiite.

Well they were playing Sunni Scunny
Posted by: aldi_01, November 15, 2020, 8:16am; Reply: 44
Quoted from ginnywings
I walked the dog up to t'fitties and back, before spending the afternoon in my workshop with an audiobook in the background.

Didn't miss football at all and the longer this situation goes on, the less interested I become.

Don't know if I'll get my Town mojo back when crowds are allowed in again.

For clubs like Town I’d imagine this surely has to be their biggest concern, particularly in fans over a certain, the young kids will probably come back in similar numbers but older fans with families, extra hobbies etc will have found different priorities that will supersede football I think.

If you’re part of the large percentage of fans that support a club that’s miles from your home and only watch it on the TV then I guess nothing has actually changed, hence why the premier league seems little different.

At our level, going to matches is a habit as much as a hobby. Much like villages that have pubs that open and shut rapidly, folk get out of the habit of going therefor they struggle to stay open, the same, I think, will happen to clubs at our level.

Not just us, but there’s seemingly been little effort in enticing fans to still engage and watch ifollow etc. Which is concerning when at this present moment it’s likely then not way anyone that supports a club outside of the top flight can watch their team...
Posted by: buckstown, November 15, 2020, 8:47am; Reply: 45
It's a good point about apathy setting in. Sure I recall in the 70's the football league couldn't agree a deal with the TV companies so we had a season with no football on telly. Football authorities thought everyone would flood to live games but the opposite occurred. People lost interest because it wasn't on their TV's and crowds went down significantly. I can see the same thing happening this season
Posted by: ginnywings, November 15, 2020, 9:19am; Reply: 46
Quoted from aldi_01

For clubs like Town I’d imagine this surely has to be their biggest concern, particularly in fans over a certain, the young kids will probably come back in similar numbers but older fans with families, extra hobbies etc will have found different priorities that will supersede football I think.

If you’re part of the large percentage of fans that support a club that’s miles from your home and only watch it on the TV then I guess nothing has actually changed, hence why the premier league seems little different.

At our level, going to matches is a habit as much as a hobby. Much like villages that have pubs that open and shut rapidly, folk get out of the habit of going therefor they struggle to stay open, the same, I think, will happen to clubs at our level.

Not just us, but there’s seemingly been little effort in enticing fans to still engage and watch ifollow etc. Which is concerning when at this present moment it’s likely then not way anyone that supports a club outside of the top flight can watch their team...

This is a very salient point I feel. Ifollow is a dreadful service and many have given up on it, but the club (and others) seem oblivious to the fact that fans are being charged £10 for something that is vastly inferior to other offerings from the Premier League.

It's a wasted opportunity to keep fans engaged and involved, whilst also bringing in much needed income. It should be being trumpeted and promoted, with package deals and a more stable output, but nobody seems ar$ed to get it sorted. Lower league fans just get taken for granted and that attitude is disengaging to me and others.
Posted by: aldi_01, November 15, 2020, 12:34pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from ginnywings

This is a very salient point I feel. Ifollow is a dreadful service and many have given up on it, but the club (and others) seem oblivious to the fact that fans are being charged £10 for something that is vastly inferior to other offerings from the Premier League.

It's a wasted opportunity to keep fans engaged and involved, whilst also bringing in much needed income. It should be being trumpeted and promoted, with package deals and a more stable output, but nobody seems ar$ed to get it sorted. Lower league fans just get taken for granted and that attitude is disengaging to me and others.

Agreed, it’s not just an issue with us either; it seems few clubs are really busting a gut to shift this.

Fans are seemingly exploited much more by lower league clubs although it’s not just specific to us. I agree, ifollow is on the whole, an atrocious service. I’m fully aware many will
Leap to it’s defence and so forth but it is poor, people have been getting codes on tiny slips of paper, paying when they shouldn’t have to, service drop outs and the likes. People become disengaged and find alternatives.

People are concerned about this season and survival but it’s the long term impact on the game, crowds and the like. Who knows what will happen.

There will be many of us who naturally go back and carry on our normal football routines but I suspect many won’t which will come from the suggested lack of engagement and so forth.
Posted by: rancido, November 15, 2020, 2:54pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from bawarmy

Most men in Scunthorpe like Cox. It’s a known fact.

I didn't realise your spelling was so poor! 😉
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 15, 2020, 4:04pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from aldi_01

Agreed, it’s not just an issue with us either; it seems few clubs are really busting a gut to shift this.

Fans are seemingly exploited much more by lower league clubs although it’s not just specific to us. I agree, ifollow is on the whole, an atrocious service. I’m fully aware many will
Leap to it’s defence and so forth but it is poor, people have been getting codes on tiny slips of paper, paying when they shouldn’t have to, service drop outs and the likes. People become disengaged and find alternatives.

People are concerned about this season and survival but it’s the long term impact on the game, crowds and the like. Who knows what will happen.

There will be many of us who naturally go back and carry on our normal football routines but I suspect many won’t which will come from the suggested lack of engagement and so forth.

I think the majority know that this season is so surreal that they have mentally switched off, I Follow or no I Follow.

When things return back to normal however - no social distancing, no masks and no kneeling at kick-off then it will be fantastic, and I actually think more people will attend having realised what they have missed. I assume that will be next season now.

All this is predicated on us still being in the league, and getting together the type of squad which we would have done this season in more normal times.
Print page generated: May 23, 2024, 5:32am