Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Stew0_0, August 29, 2020, 7:57am
Season starts a week today and any new signings now would have missed pre season. Hanson almost certainly out injured and probably 5/6 signings short. No recognised left back in the building.
Mohsni, Sisay, Gibson behind fitness wise or carrying knocks, So looks like we will be choosing a team from the players we have to start the season. But what will the team be....

My guess...

McKeown

Hewitt     Waterfall     Pollock     Hendrie

Clifton

Williams      Tilley

Wright                                     Jackson Jnr
                             Green

Subs
Russell
Ohman
Mohsni
Starbuck
Curran
Sisay
Gibson

Thoughts?
Posted by: Hagrid, August 29, 2020, 8:29am; Reply: 1
IH says hendries Injured as well
Posted by: Abdul19, August 29, 2020, 8:37am; Reply: 2
If there are no more signings, I wouldn't be surprised to see us go 3 at the back, purely because that's the one area we are well stocked. Hewitt right wing back and Wright shoehorned in on the left. Blimey!

McKeown

Pollock
Öhman
Waterfall

Hewitt
Clifton
Williams
Tilley
Wright

Jackson
Green
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, August 29, 2020, 8:40am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Abdul19
If there are no more signings, I wouldn't be surprised to see us go 3 at the back, purely because that's the one area we are well stocked. Hewitt right wing back and Wright shoehorned in on the left. Blimey!

McKeown

Pollock
Öhman
Waterfall

Hewitt
Clifton
Williams
Tilley
Wright

Jackson
Green

Think Clifton missing too as he’s been called up by Wales.

Posted by: Abdul19, August 29, 2020, 8:45am; Reply: 4
Ruddy hell, Holloway in a sitting role then!
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, August 29, 2020, 8:48am; Reply: 5
Clifton's absence means we are in urgent need of a centre mid or two. At the moment Hewitt is our centre midfield option, unless anyone thinks he will throw in Curran Painter or starbuck there.

As this thread shows, Hewitt is also full back, wing back cover .... so as it stands....

Mckeown
Hendrie  waterfall ohman pollock hope
Williams hewitt tilley or wright
  Green  jackson
Subs tilley or wright idehen Gibson starbuck russell

Let's hope Williams doesnt get a last minute international call up as a replacement!!
Posted by: buckstown, August 29, 2020, 8:57am; Reply: 6
The squad looks bare and the lack of match practise is a big concern going into the season. The Morecambe game looks increasingly like a pre season friendly when we could really do with a cup run to bolster the finances.
Getting the impression we're running on survival mode, which is understandable in the circumstances but doesn't offer great optimism for the months ahead
The good news is we have the right man in charge, as long as he stays happy
Posted by: forza ivano, August 29, 2020, 9:28am; Reply: 7
Quoted from buckstown
The squad looks bare and the lack of match practise is a big concern going into the season. The Morecambe game looks increasingly like a pre season friendly when we could really do with a cup run to bolster the finances.
Getting the impression we're running on survival mode, which is understandable in the circumstances but doesn't offer great optimism for the months ahead

We earn naff all from a cup run, with no crowds so it's a case of needs must ,and I'm sure itll just be a game to get us up to fitness.i also fully expect a number of signings late next week, and I will further guess that most of them will already have been training  with us
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, August 29, 2020, 9:32am; Reply: 8
Quoted from buckstown

Morecambe look to be in a similar position, only one Friendly game (1-0 win against Workington)

Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 29, 2020, 9:56am; Reply: 9
Prize money in the Carabao Cup is terrible. A club like ours can only make money with a big game in front of lots of fans. They have halved FA Cup prize money this season too so I can't see the cup being a priority for many lower league teams.

Fixtures are condensed into a shorter timeframe so a cup run probably ends up costing more than it's worth with the extra players required in the squad to cope.
Posted by: devs, August 29, 2020, 10:17am; Reply: 10
There will be no money for cup runs - need to think 'new normal'!
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, August 29, 2020, 10:18am; Reply: 11
Quoted from devs
There will be no money for cup runs - need to think 'new normal'!

Last season the prize money was...

Winners  £100,000
Runner-ups  £50,000
Semi Finalist  £25,000
Quarter Finalist  £25,000
Round 4  £15,000
Round 3  £10,000
Round 2  £7,000
Round 1  £5,000

As someone just said, not a lot !
Posted by: moosey_club, August 29, 2020, 10:45am; Reply: 12
Play the long game, play the youth , get through the game with no injuries and make sure we lose to minimise risk to overall squad.
Posted by: moss_side_mariner, August 29, 2020, 10:50am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Abdul19

McKeown

Pollock
Öhman
Waterfall

Hewitt
Clifton
Williams
Tilley
Wright

Jackson
Green

It'd be nice if IH could sign a forward called Preston to play up front with these. 😉
Posted by: livosnose, August 29, 2020, 11:45am; Reply: 14
Don’t forget we’ve got Ben Davies who can come in and hold in midfield .
Posted by: devs, August 29, 2020, 12:55pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from moosey_club
Play the long game, play the youth , get through the game with no injuries and make sure we lose to minimise risk to overall squad.

Spot on!
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 29, 2020, 1:05pm; Reply: 16
I expect 2 or 3 signings this week but will they will be fit enough to start if they have no club and been training on their own ?
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, August 29, 2020, 1:09pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from livosnose
Don’t forget we’ve got Ben Davies who can come in and hold in midfield .

Arggh. I did forget, I meant to post, be interesting to see if Davies features early on, even as a sub.  As versatile as Hewitt and hendrie!

Posted by: chipsandgravy, August 29, 2020, 1:12pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from moss_side_mariner

It'd be nice if IH could sign a forward called Preston to play up front with these. 😉

Nice one. You have to be of a  certain age to get that or are they still going?
Posted by: toontown, August 29, 2020, 1:13pm; Reply: 19
Those teams on paper bring home how weak we are at the moment.

Please don't have green trying to play centre of a 3 again he can't do it at all and it's not like he doesn't try he is just nowhere near capable of doing a respectable job in that role. If he is up front it should be in a 2 with sisay, with green playing slightly more withdrawn.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 29, 2020, 1:20pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from buckstown

Keep seeing the words 'survive' and 'survival' being bandied about, but we are in the same boat as everyone else. I would think we are actually better off than some. All teams now have the same outlay basically, with player salaries capped at 1.5 million, a figure the club had already said they were spending regardless. The fans have chucked in £200,000; season tickets, even though reduced, will fetch somewhere north of half a million, and solidarity payments are also around the half million mark, so if and when fans are allowed back in, we will be fine i would have thought. We also have a very experienced manager, who will no doubt have many irons in the fire regarding signings. I can't see why we shouldn't be well placed to compete in this league, even under these strange circumstances. May take a while yet, but we have an extended transfer window to work with and plenty of players around whose options will be shrinking by the day. Can't see a reason to worried at all. Not yet anyway.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 29, 2020, 3:59pm; Reply: 21
When is the winter window? If the window slams shut in October, surely it doesn't reopen 1st January?
Posted by: monkeyboy, August 31, 2020, 9:43am; Reply: 22
So people keep moaning about lack of signings and lack of pre season games.
Has it occured just because its not been publicised on the fishy that we have played at least 3 games, also could be very possible that we have played quite a few more but not made a fuss due to covid checks etc?
Also i get peoples concerns that we havent signed many but again who we sign this week could have been with us for the last 2-3 weeks training and playing in these secret matches, Ollie is hardly going to advertise he has certain players here as the likes of Scunny are known for poaching.

Come Friday i think you will be pleasantly happy.
Posted by: bax, August 31, 2020, 10:07am; Reply: 23
Quoted from monkeyboy
So people keep moaning about lack of signings and lack of pre season games.
Has it occured just because its not been publicised on the fishy that we have played at least 3 games, also could be very possible that we have played quite a few more but not made a fuss due to covid checks etc?
Also i get peoples concerns that we havent signed many but again who we sign this week could have been with us for the last 2-3 weeks training and playing in these secret matches, Ollie is hardly going to advertise he has certain players here as the likes of Scunny are known for poaching.

Come Friday i think you will be pleasantly happy.

How dare you talk sense? 😂

Also a friendly against amateurs or a friendly against professionals after a contract? I know what’s more beneficial...
Posted by: pen penfras, August 31, 2020, 1:26pm; Reply: 24
I think it's fair to say that in an ordinary season, we should be panicking right now, but this isn't an ordinary season. We're not the only team that's struggled to arrange friendlies with all the restrictions and short timeline. Other clubs have got small squads too. We've actually got the average number of players on the books for the league, although probably less experienced at this level than most.

We obviously have an inward focus and not look at the league as a whole, but lots of teams have had large upheavals and smaller squads.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, August 31, 2020, 5:47pm; Reply: 25
Also the later we sign players the further the budget goes.  I’m pretty happy with the signings so far
Posted by: Boris Johnson, August 31, 2020, 5:59pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Also the later we sign players the further the budget goes.  I’m pretty happy with the signings so far

the experienced one's look decent acquisitions...hopefully no more poundshop sunday league players going forward
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), September 1, 2020, 9:25am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Boris Johnson

the experienced one's look decent acquisitions...hopefully no more poundshop Sunday league players going forward

I think that is grossly insulting to the players who have signed to play for Grimsby Town Football Club!

Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 1, 2020, 9:37am; Reply: 28
It's always a good sign when previous clubs are saying what a good player you've got which is the case with Rose.

A young squad needs experience around it and I'm happy with how the squad is taking shape. I'm a bit concerned about how close to the season we are but I agree that new signings need to be the right fit and if that means waiting then so be it.

If Scannell and Preston sign then we aren't too far away. We probably need another body in midfield when you consider Clifton will miss games with Wales. Hewitt can play there but we are short on full backs and Hendrie is injured at the moment.
Posted by: Poojah, September 1, 2020, 10:06am; Reply: 29
Quoted from jamesgtfc
It's always a good sign when previous clubs are saying what a good player you've got which is the case with Rose.

A young squad needs experience around it and I'm happy with how the squad is taking shape. I'm a bit concerned about how close to the season we are but I agree that new signings need to be the right fit and if that means waiting then so be it.

If Scannell and Preston sign then we aren't too far away. We probably need another body in midfield when you consider Clifton will miss games with Wales. Hewitt can play there but we are short on full backs and Hendrie is injured at the moment.

If indeed that happens (and I get the impression that Scannell is still a little way from being a done deal) then I agree we're not too far away, which is encouraging.

Defensively is where we have the most certainty. The goalkeeping situation remains unchanged, and we know we have three reliable centre halves in Ohman, Waterfall and Pollock, plus the addition of Moshni. Hendrie's an excellent full back at this level and can play both sides, whilst Hewitt can do a job when needed. Assuming Preston signs, we also have Joe Starbuck who Ollie seems to like so I suspect that will be our lot there.

We lost a lot of capable bodies in the central midfield area; Hessenthaler, Benson, Grandin and Cook all having moved on. I'm pleased with the calibre of their replacements in Williams and Rose, but I still feel we're a player light there at the moment and a Benson-esque loan signing wouldn't surprise me. In terms of width, Wright, Tilley and Scannell would probably be sufficient for now but again a loan signing in that area might not be a bad idea if the financial terms are right.

Up top is the area that concerns me least in terms of numbers but most in terms of the make-up of what we've got. Hanson's almost 33, has had recent injuries and won't have been helped by the unusual circumstances of the last few months. Then there's Green, who will be 34 in January and by his own admission was largely unspectacular for much of last season (although that goal at Stamford Bridge wasn't bad).

The other three, Gibson, Jackson Jr and Sisay I know virtually nothing about, so it's hard to have an opinion other than to say that it's probably a little unfair on them to expect them to step up from the level they've been playing at and hit the ground running in League Two.

We seem to have the extremes of ageing experience and raw, unproven young talent without anything in between. Proven goalscorers in their prime are like rocking horse shít at this level and probably not a reasonable expectation at this time, however the loss of Vernam is the thing that stands out to me most when I look at our squad list as it stands.
Posted by: gtfc98, September 2, 2020, 7:58pm; Reply: 30
What do we think for saturday now?
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, September 2, 2020, 8:27pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from gtfc98

532/352

Macca

Pollock       Waterfall       Ohman      
Wright                                                              Hewitt/Scannell
                                     Rose

Tilley/Hewitt            Williams

Green               Sisy/Jr/Gibson

Bench
Russell/Battersby
Jr/Sisy/Gibson
Mohsni
Jr/Sisy/Gibson
Hewitt/Scannell/Tilley
Hope
Starbuck

Wright at wingback/winger Olly experimented with this last season and I thought he did well in that role. Left back is down to if Scannell is fit enough to do the same role as Wright otherwise Hewitt. Back 3 speaks for itself I don't think Mohsni is fit enough yet is he?

Midfield 3 I think we'll see Rose start with Williams and then the other position will be decided on who's one of the Winger/backs and how many holding midfielders we want.

Strikers, with Hanson injured we're left with Green and one of the new young lads.

As for my bench thinking maybe we'll see a suprise appearance from Battersby instead of Russell, but apart from that the two youth players and Mohsni and those that don't make it into the starting 11
Posted by: prestonmariner, September 2, 2020, 8:36pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from gtfc98

As much as Ollie wants to play 3-5-2 with wing backs, i don't think we have the players, or have the players fit for that yet.

I think we'll see a 4-3-3 set up similar to like we did in the Clee friendly. Think we'll treat it as a pre-season game, and rightly so, and i think he won't be afraid to chuck a few of the younger lads in from the start.

Macca
Hewitt Waterfall Pollock Hope
Williams Painter Rose
Wright Green Scannell

Posted by: pontoonlew, September 2, 2020, 8:42pm; Reply: 33
Looking at these lineups it’s becoming more obvious that we need a proven striker.
Posted by: Poojah, September 2, 2020, 8:48pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from pontoonlew
Looking at these lineups it’s becoming more obvious that we need a proven striker.

My thoughts exactly. Who knows what the three young lads will bring to the party (they could yet turn out to be phenomenal, who knows), but the complexion of our attacking options would look so much better with the addition of a proven goalscorer at this level.
Posted by: gtfc98, September 2, 2020, 8:54pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from prestonmariner

As much as Ollie wants to play 3-5-2 with wing backs, i don't think we have the players, or have the players fit for that yet.

I think we'll see a 4-3-3 set up similar to like we did in the Clee friendly. Think we'll treat it as a pre-season game, and rightly so, and i think he won't be afraid to chuck a few of the younger lads in from the start.

Macca
Hewitt Waterfall Pollock Hope
Williams Painter Rose
Wright Green Scannell

Who's Painter?
Posted by: Tommy, September 2, 2020, 9:07pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from prestonmariner

As much as Ollie wants to play 3-5-2 with wing backs,

Does he?
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 2, 2020, 9:20pm; Reply: 37
Surprised, given how he played in midfield at Scunny, that Hewitt is not in people’s selections in the centre of midfield with Williams and Rose either side of him. Still not seen enough of Tilley to know his best position but seem to recall at Scunny he replaced Glennon at LWB and did ok.

Three more good signings, particularly another proven frontman, and we should be good to go although I expect we will take time to get settled as a team.
Posted by: Poojah, September 2, 2020, 9:41pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from gtfc98

Who's Painter?

Cameron Painter. 18 year old midfielder, couldn’t tell you much more than that. I expect we might see some young faces in the early games as the more recently signed senior pros look to gain match fitness.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, September 2, 2020, 9:42pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Surprised, given how he played in midfield at Scunny, that Hewitt is not in people’s selections in the centre of midfield with Williams and Rose either side of him. Still not seen enough of Tilley to know his best position but seem to recall at Scunny he replaced Glennon at LWB and did ok.

Three more good signings, particularly another proven frontman, and we should be good to go although I expect we will take time to get settled as a team.

One good game in midfield versus several really bad games in midfeild he had last season I do get it
Posted by: Tommy, September 2, 2020, 10:03pm; Reply: 40
Yeah I don't don't particularly want to see Hewitt in midfield really.

The Scunny game was a very un-Holloway type game. It was a scrappy battle of a game where not much football was played by either side. We set up 352 to battle it out and be solid after a few defeats. There was probably 2 minutes of decent quality football in the game and they came when we got our goals.

So whilst he did play well in CM in that game. I don't think he's suited to play in midfield (regularly) for how Holloway generally wants to play.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, September 2, 2020, 10:11pm; Reply: 41
                     McKeown
Starbuck   Waterfall   Pollock   Hope
          Hewitt   Rose   Williams
Wright            Green            Scannell

Subs: Battersby, Hendrie, Idehen, Painter, Tilley, Jackson & Gibson
Posted by: lee65, September 2, 2020, 10:48pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from GollyGTFC
                     McKeown
Starbuck   Waterfall   Pollock   Hope
          Hewitt   Rose   Williams
Wright            Green            Scannell

Subs: Battersby, Hendrie, Idehen, Painter, Tilley, Jackson & Gibson

I like this the most of the suggestions read so far, but not sure why Starbuck over Hendrie
Posted by: Boris Johnson, September 3, 2020, 7:26am; Reply: 43
He should play his best team or what he thinks is his best team, I don't agree with this being a friendly.

Game needs to be taken seriously and won.

Does it got to extra time if level, or straight to pens?
Posted by: Hagrid, September 3, 2020, 7:43am; Reply: 44
Straight to pens i believe
Posted by: Boris Johnson, September 3, 2020, 7:45am; Reply: 45
Quoted from Hagrid
Straight to pens i believe

TA

tempted to pay to watch, but ET would have caused work problems
Posted by: Croxton, September 3, 2020, 8:38am; Reply: 46
He should play his best team or what he thinks is his best team, I don't agree with this being a friendly.

Game needs to be taken seriously and won.

Does it got to extra time if level, or straight to pens?

Needs must. Ollie is way off knowing his best team.  It's a pre-season game and each newly signed player should get the number of minutes appropriate to their current levels. If Hendrie is nursing a strain then play a young 'un.
Sissay has the skills to fill in for Hanson despite a rather languid style and would prefer him to Green who is already well known. If it's not working, switch it round. Keep the spine settled and work the changes around forwards and wing backs. No further injuries would be a result.
Posted by: pen penfras, September 3, 2020, 8:48am; Reply: 47

TA

tempted to pay to watch, but ET would have caused work problems

You still get to watch a full 90 minutes though? So it's no real loss. I'll be watching, excited to see what our new team can do.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 3, 2020, 9:35am; Reply: 48
Ordinarily you want a cup run and Chelsea away last season must have earned the club a decent sum to make it worthwhile but if we repeated that again, it's unlikely that many fans would be allowed in.

League is more important and a cup run would bring more expense rather than the income it's supposed to generate.

Treat it as a final pre-season game. Play most of our intended starting 11 for next week with a couple of youngsters thrown in to see how they handle it.
Posted by: Youngy, September 3, 2020, 11:52am; Reply: 49
                              Mckeown

Pollock     Ohmen    Waterfall

Wright       Hewitt                Rose          Preston

Scannell     Wiliams

Green

Posted by: StaffsMariner, September 3, 2020, 12:13pm; Reply: 50
I'm thinking 4-4-2

Mckeown

Hewitt  Waterfall  Pollock/Ohman  Preston

Wright/Tilley  Rose  Williams  Scannell

Green  Sisay

I'm sure Tilley was described as a tricksy dicksy winger , Scannell a winger and Green plays better in a 2 man attack. (a bit like Amond who played awesome for us but Hartlepool played 3 up front and we know what happened next )
Posted by: davmariner, September 3, 2020, 12:34pm; Reply: 51
Tilley can play as a wing back. He did so for Yeovil.
Posted by: Tommy, September 3, 2020, 12:39pm; Reply: 52
I'm expecting us to sign (permanent or loan) a holding midfielder/deep-lying playmaker, a la Benson, before Saturday as I don't think we really have one yet. That'll allow us to go 4-3-3 comfortably.

A lot of people seem to think it's a formality that we're going to play 3-5-2 but I don't think it is at all. Holloway said a few months back that because Hanson is so effective to work in a partnership with someone to play off him, he'd like to have the option to go 3 at the back and have 2 strikers.

He didn't say he wants to play that formation or that's what he wants to build for. Yes we played it at Scunthorpe, where it kept us solid and with an extra body at the back after a run of conceding a lot of goals before that. And we'll probably see it again at some point, but I don't think it means we're building to play 3-5-2 at all.

Personally, I think if we play it this Saturday it'll be because we're short of a player in a particular position for 433 - for example if we don't have anyone to play right back in a back 4, but have Max who could play the wing-back role.  Although the way Holloway is talking, there's every chance he'll just stick with his preferred 4-3-3 and give opportunities to young pro's or even YT's if there are gaps to be filled.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, September 3, 2020, 12:46pm; Reply: 53
Preston confirmed and Ollie has said he hopes to announce another trialist has signed on before the end of today.
Posted by: Youngy, September 3, 2020, 12:49pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from StaffsMariner
I'm thinking 4-4-2

Mckeown

Hewitt  Waterfall  Pollock/Ohman  Preston

Wright/Tilley  Rose  Williams  Scannell

Green  Sisay

I'm sure Tilley was described as a tricksy dicksy winger , Scannell a winger and Green plays better in a 2 man attack. (a bit like Amond who played awesome for us but Hartlepool played 3 up front and we know what happened next )

Sisay not match fit yet
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 3, 2020, 12:50pm; Reply: 55
Got my seat booked beer in and looking forward to seeing the new lads playing.
Posted by: Poojah, September 3, 2020, 1:09pm; Reply: 56
So, early team news (feels nice just to be able to write that). Looks like the following are unavailable or doubtful:

Hanson
Hendrie
Moshni
Clifton
Jackson Jr
Sisay
Gibson (doubt)

That limits things quite a bit. Youngsters Luis Adlard and Evan Khouri are likely to 'feature' (no mention of Starbuck et al) so that probably gives you the following to take your pick from:

GK
Macca
Russell
Battersby

Defence
Hewitt
Preston
Ohman
Pollock
Waterfall

Midfield
Rose
Williams
Wright
Tilley
Scannell
Khouri

Forwards
Green
Adlard

Based on that, assuming no more incomings fit and ready to go, I'd envisage a system with three up top (most likely 4-3-3); Green down the middle with two from Tilley, Wright and Scannell out wide. I know a few have said that Green centre of a front-three doesn't work, but options look limited. Central midfield looks tricky too, with Hewitt needed at full back if we go with a back four.

Of course, a fit signing up top between now and the weekend could change all that.

Posted by: Rodley Mariner, September 3, 2020, 1:11pm; Reply: 57
I would think Starbuck, Hope et Al are in the mix and he's just mentioned the other twk as they aren't members of the senior squad are they? All bodies needed by the sound of it!
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, September 3, 2020, 3:05pm; Reply: 58
For me I expect something like this:

--------------------------------McKeown--------------------------------

Hendrie------------Pollock------------Waterfall------------Preston

----------------------Rose---------------Williams----------------------

----------------------------------Tilley----------------------------------

Wright-------------------------Green-------------------------Scannell

Tilley given a free role in the middle. When we saw him last season he seemed incredibly versatile and is obviously rated highly by Holloway.

I think Holloway was also mentioning about wanting us to press highly (earlier this summer) with Wright Scannell and Green I think this is achievable.

Having said that with it not being a League game could see some different players in place of the above.

Issue I would have with the above is do we have a ball winner in midfield? Not sure how tough in the tackle Rose and Williams are.
Posted by: Heisenberg, September 3, 2020, 3:12pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Tommy
I'm expecting us to sign (permanent or loan) a holding midfielder/deep-lying playmaker, a la Benson, before Saturday as I don't think we really have one yet. That'll allow us to go 4-3-3 comfortably.

A lot of people seem to think it's a formality that we're going to play 3-5-2 but I don't think it is at all. Holloway said a few months back that because Hanson is so effective to work in a partnership with someone to play off him, he'd like to have the option to go 3 at the back and have 2 strikers.

He didn't say he wants to play that formation or that's what he wants to build for. Yes we played it at Scunthorpe, where it kept us solid and with an extra body at the back after a run of conceding a lot of goals before that. And we'll probably see it again at some point, but I don't think it means we're building to play 3-5-2 at all.

Personally, I think if we play it this Saturday it'll be because we're short of a player in a particular position for 433 - for example if we don't have anyone to play right back in a back 4, but have Max who could play the wing-back role.  Although the way Holloway is talking, there's every chance he'll just stick with his preferred 4-3-3 and give opportunities to young pro's or even YT's if there are gaps to be filled.

I know he's not available this week, but I think IH sees Clifton as being that.  Personally I see him as a sort of marauding box-to-box kind of player, but maybe he's not quite lived up to that yet.  I still have hope for him figuring for us this season.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, September 3, 2020, 3:28pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Heisenberg

I know he's not available this week, but I think IH sees Clifton as being that.  Personally I see him as a sort of marauding box-to-box kind of player, but maybe he's not quite lived up to that yet.  I still have hope for him figuring for us this season.

big season for Harold, not so sure he has moved on to any great extent, needs a big improvement, and the odd goal here and there wouldnt go a miss.
Posted by: Stew0_0, September 3, 2020, 6:15pm; Reply: 61
                            McKeown

Pollock    Waterfall    Ohman

Hewitt                   Rose                Preston

Tilley              Williams

Scannell                         Green  

A 3-5-2 with Hewitt and Preston as wing backs. Both have superb crossing ability. Tilley slightly more central due to the absence of Clifton and A.N.Other signing to come in the centre midfield. Ideally it would be Hanson or Sisay up top in the centre but unavailable
Posted by: GollyGTFC, September 3, 2020, 6:20pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from Stew0_0
                            McKeown

Wright              Williams

Scannell                            Tilley
                               Green

A 3-5-2 with Hewitt and Preston as wing backs. Both have superb crossing ability. Wright slightly more central due to the absence of Clifton and A.N.Other signing to come in the centre midfield. Ideally ot would be Hanson or Sisay up top in the centre but unavailable

That's a 3-5-3, I don't think we'd get away with it.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, September 3, 2020, 6:23pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from lee65

I like this the most of the suggestions read so far, but not sure why Starbuck over Hendrie

Hendrie is not fit enough to be risked.
Posted by: Stew0_0, September 3, 2020, 6:23pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from GollyGTFC

That's a 3-5-3, I don't think we'd get away with it.

Oops adjusted now. Would have got away with it if it wasnt for those pesky kids
Posted by: Stew0_0, September 3, 2020, 6:32pm; Reply: 65
I take it back. Like the look of this 4-3-3 better. Still asking Hewitt and Preston to push up when they can....                  

McKeown

Hewitt    Pollock     Waterfall   Preston

Tilley      Rose     Williams

Scannell       Green      Wright

Subs
Russell
Starbuck
Ohman
Curran
Gibson
Jackson Jnr
Sisay
Posted by: lee65, September 3, 2020, 7:11pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Hendrie is not fit enough to be risked.

Thank you Golly, wasn’t aware of that  :)
Posted by: Posh Harry, September 3, 2020, 7:50pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Stew0_0
                            McKeown

Tilley              Williams

Scannell                         Green  

A 3-5-2 with Hewitt and Preston as wing backs. Both have superb crossing ability. Tilley slightly more central due to the absence of Clifton and A.N.Other signing to come in the centre midfield. Ideally it would be Hanson or Sisay up top in the centre but unavailable

I do hope you’re right, but can I ask how you know that Preston has superb crossing ability? Been watching training or have knowledge of the forest set up?
Posted by: Stew0_0, September 4, 2020, 7:24am; Reply: 68
Quoted from Posh Harry

I do hope you’re right, but can I ask how you know that Preston has superb crossing ability? Been watching training or have knowledge of the forest set up?

Basing that on what Holloway says in his pre-match interview and some Forest news reports ive read
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, September 4, 2020, 8:57am; Reply: 69
Think we will see a lot of young, youth players.

It's a cup with very little prize money, and if you progress and end up getting a decent team, they play excrement players against you anyway.

FA Cup will be the one worth trying to do well in.

FA Cup first round winners get just under 23k
Carabao cup quarter finalist get 25k
Posted by: Poojah, September 4, 2020, 10:41am; Reply: 70
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Think we will see a lot of young, youth players.

It's a cup with very little prize money, and if you progress and end up getting a decent team, they play excrement players against you anyway.

FA Cup will be the one worth trying to do well in.

FA Cup first round winners get just under 23k
Carabao cup quarter finalist get 25k

Indeed, the side Chelsea put out against us was abysmal. Just the one World Cup winner in the entire starting lineup.
Posted by: psgmariner, September 4, 2020, 12:02pm; Reply: 71
Grimsby 1/1
Draw 5/2
Morecambe 11/4

Surprised we are strong favourites to win this game.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, September 4, 2020, 1:16pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from psgmariner
Grimsby 1/1
Draw 5/2
Morecambe 11/4

Surprised we are strong favourites to win this game.

They will mainly look at last season stats and note that Morecambe were hovering just above relegation.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 4, 2020, 1:17pm; Reply: 73
Real opportunity for Green to show how bothered he is about playing. I’d imagine IH is the sort of bloke who puts great stead in those that give their all and mane he can get Green doing that again.
Posted by: pen penfras, September 4, 2020, 1:24pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Real opportunity for Green to show how bothered he is about playing. I’d imagine IH is the sort of bloke who puts great stead in those that give their all and mane he can get Green doing that again.

Green was trying hard last season. I think he was actually trying too hard at times and getting in the way by trying to make an impression. He's proven he can do it and scored some good goals last season. If he can play without feeling the pressure to impress so much, I think he can still be good for us.
Posted by: toontown, September 5, 2020, 9:38am; Reply: 75
Quoted from pen penfras

Green was trying hard last season. I think he was actually trying too hard at times and getting in the way by trying to make an impression. He's proven he can do it and scored some good goals last season. If he can play without feeling the pressure to impress so much, I think he can still be good for us.

I agree that Green was giving it his all, wasn't for lack of effort that it didnt work out for him last season. I have less faith in his ability to work out well for us this season but I certainly hope you're right.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, September 5, 2020, 12:42pm; Reply: 76
McKeown

Starbuck
Idehen
Pollock
Preston

Hewitt
Painter
Williams

Wright
Green
Tilley

Subs: Battersby, Hope, Waterfall, Curran, Khouri, Edwards, Adlard
Posted by: pen penfras, September 5, 2020, 12:58pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from GollyGTFC
McKeown

Starbuck
Idehen
Pollock
Preston

Hewitt
Painter
Williams

Wright
Green
Tilley

Subs: Battersby, Hope, Waterfall, Curran, Khouri, Edwards, Adlard

Is that official?
Posted by: psgmariner, September 5, 2020, 1:04pm; Reply: 78
Glad I stuck a tenner on Morecambe! That’s a very inexperienced team. Let’s hope they come good.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 5, 2020, 2:07pm; Reply: 79
Teams on twatter...Luke Spokes on the bench?...funny way to announce we have signed him!!
Print page generated: May 22, 2024, 9:44am