Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 17, 2020, 12:38am

Well we knew they wouldn't go down without a fight:

"Macclesfield demand EFL exercise power to stop their relegation to National League.
EFL regulation over National League start dates could see Silkmen saved from the drop."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/36067/12050776/macclesfield-demand-efl-exercise-power-to-stop-their-relegation-to-national-league
Posted by: Meza, August 17, 2020, 8:23am; Reply: 1
Macc fans on Twitter also having a go about this.

[tweet]1295110373989847041[/tweet]
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, August 17, 2020, 8:58am; Reply: 2
If relegation is two teams, as in from league 2, then the EFL should relegate them first, then consider who has broken the rules and relegate them too.  Simple ;-)

Mind you, we could have a close season with 20+ relegations!!!
Posted by: Madeleymariner, August 17, 2020, 10:02am; Reply: 3
Interesting, presumably Stevenage will do the same which means a 25 team league 2 next season, nice one FA/Stevenage/Macc/EFL. You couldn't make it up if you tried. ;D  (tongue_smilie)(tongue_smilie)(tongue_smilie)(tongue_smilie)(tongue_smilie)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 17, 2020, 10:31am; Reply: 4
Just a make it fair to everyone

Send Scunny down
Posted by: Boris Johnson, August 17, 2020, 11:53am; Reply: 5
Its farcical this,
Posted by: mimma, August 17, 2020, 12:16pm; Reply: 6
Pity Macc. didn't show the same sort of fight in the league, they wouldn't have been relegated!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 17, 2020, 12:33pm; Reply: 7
If this gets overturned and Harrogate can't come up, then the legal ramifications are huge. Harrogate have just dug up their artificial pitch which provided them with a 7 day income as per the EFL's instructions. In fact, to meet the deadline, they had to start on this 2 days after sealing promotion.

They are recruiting to a League 2 budget of £1.5m. It isn't finalised yet but the rumoured salary cap in the National League is set to be £900k.

What an absolute mess. The pure uncertainty over whether Harrogate can play in our division needs clearing up ASAP because players may decide not to sign for them due to this.
Posted by: RichMariner, August 17, 2020, 12:38pm; Reply: 8
I think Harrogate will be allowed to play in L2 next season.

It'll either be that Macc stay in the NL and everything runs 'as normal', or they'll be reprieved and L2 will have 25 teams (and 3 go down).
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, August 17, 2020, 12:42pm; Reply: 9
There will not be 25 teams in L2 next season. Not a consideration under any circumstances. Can not and will not happen.

Can it?
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 17, 2020, 1:10pm; Reply: 10
Just been rejected. Sure it’ll be the start of many more farcical situations in the EFL this season.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 17, 2020, 1:20pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
There will not be 25 teams in L2 next season. Not a consideration under any circumstances. Can not and will not happen.

Can it?

Jostein, who I think posts on here occasionally, posted the below on Twitter last week. It doesn't give much room for postponements and cup runs so it certainly doesn't allow for every team to fit another 2 games in given we already have a minimum of 51 games in 246 days!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Grimjos/status/1294686574068850688?s=09[/tweet]
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, August 17, 2020, 3:18pm; Reply: 12
Should just relegate both teams at this point and tell Notts they won the lottery.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, August 17, 2020, 4:12pm; Reply: 13
Part of the problem is the current set up rewards failure rather than success. Even if you are really shite you might stay up. Much better to relegate both and bring someone else up.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, August 17, 2020, 7:29pm; Reply: 14
I would have thought Macclesfield would be happy being in the national league where they can actually compete on a level playing field both financially and abilitywise and should they have a relatively successful season their crowds mat swell giving them a better base to build in the future.
Staying within the league need to pay higher wages bigger police costs more stewards ect and then the same merry go round starts again
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 17, 2020, 7:33pm; Reply: 15
The EFL should manage the A Level gradings and let the Exam Board sort out football relegations.  This would be interesting to watch!  Neither group know what they are doing anyway.
Posted by: RichMariner, August 17, 2020, 10:00pm; Reply: 16
Have the National League formally accepted Macclesfield? I seem to remember them having the right to expel any club that comes into their system (National + North & South divisions) that aren't financially stable.

I'm sure that happened to a club in the not-too-distant past? Relegated from the EFL and went down about three divisions?
Posted by: GrimRob, August 17, 2020, 11:03pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from RichMariner
Have the National League formally accepted Macclesfield? I seem to remember them having the right to expel any club that comes into their system (National + North & South divisions) that aren't financially stable.

I'm sure that happened to a club in the not-too-distant past? Relegated from the EFL and went down about three divisions?

Boston?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 18, 2020, 12:09am; Reply: 18
Quoted from RichMariner

They don't mess about in that division! If Harrogate refused to rip up their pitch and the EFL rejected them, the National League would have relegated them to the National League North too!
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 12:20pm