Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 6, 2020, 10:08pm

So the salary cap vote takes place today.

GTFC all for it and Scunny against it if I remember rightly.

Hope they vote for a salary cap but I'm not holding my breath.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, August 6, 2020, 10:57pm; Reply: 1
So do I, as it'll allegedly put everyone on a level playing field (scuse the pun).

And better than that, it'll p1ss on Scunny from a great height.

But Mr Day has already said that he wouldnt normally go above £1.5 million anyway, so that makes it even better if it stops other teams trying to buy their way out of the league
Posted by: aldi_01, August 6, 2020, 11:13pm; Reply: 2
I think the discussion elsewhere provides much more in-depth reasons as to why it actually isn’t likely to be a good idea.

I know people think it will provide a level playing field but FFP has been circumvented successfully, this will be no different.

I can’t see many teams actually voting for it, why would they? It’s not their fault they generate more income, get higher gates and so on.

A salary cap is unlikely to stop a Bury or Macclesfield situation.

Wages aren’t the only reason teams perform better than others, facilities, training, coaching, ambition, they all have an impact.

I wonder if this would have been tabled had we not just had a pandemic?
Posted by: mimma, August 6, 2020, 11:32pm; Reply: 3
If the salary cap is set at £1.5 million, and we manage to sell Max Wright for £3 million, get to the semi final of the cup, making another £3 million, but we can't actually spend this extra money?

Madness
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, August 7, 2020, 12:58am; Reply: 4
Quoted from mimma
If the salary cap is set at £1.5 million, and we manage to sell Max Wright for £3 million, get to the semi final of the cup, making another £3 million, but we can't actually spend this extra money?

Madness

No but if we perform that well and make silly money (for us anyway) you shove the excess in an offshore account (metaphorically) and then when we get promoted we wouldn't have money worries for a season or two in one division higher, or even if we did remain in League 2.

Either that, or put the rest towards a new ground.

And Scunny would STILL be moaning.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, August 7, 2020, 4:56am; Reply: 5
Quoted from mimma

Madness

We could buy a new ground and/or pay off benign debts instead of wasting it on player salaries.

Posted by: Davec, August 7, 2020, 7:12am; Reply: 6
Quoted from mimma

Madness

The money can be spent on many things, towards a new stadium as pointed out, spent on strengthening the infrastructure at the club etc
Posted by: aldi_01, August 7, 2020, 7:31am; Reply: 7
So could the money that has been paid to the owner so far...we’re led to believe it hasn’t been used to bring down the benign loans and we were told it couldn’t be spent on players...

I really don’t see how salary caps at this stage will actually be effective but some clearly like the idea. All about opinions I guess...
Posted by: Boris Johnson, August 7, 2020, 7:49am; Reply: 8
all for the salary cap....hope it wins the day
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, August 7, 2020, 7:56am; Reply: 9
Just think ...managers will have to be managers and not just go to their chairman and ask for another player
Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 7, 2020, 8:11am; Reply: 10
It’s a ridiculous proposal. Clubs will no longer be able to speculate on young talent. Clubs like Brentford, Scunthorpe, Rotherham, Doncaster and now Wycombe have invested (currently and in the past) in talent with a sell-on potential. They’ve technically operated at a loss and offset that by developing players and selling them on for profit.

If the proposal is voted through expect the PFA to get involved and possible industrial action from players.

Jimmy Hill would be turning in his grave if he hadn’t been cremated.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 7, 2020, 8:15am; Reply: 11
And another thing... Would be totally unfair on clubs in more affluent areas. How on earth could Leyton Orient for example be expected to operate at the same level as clubs in areas with much lower cost of living? Clubs like
Orient have to pay a premium to players to offset the fact the player will have higher living costs than if he was living, for example, in Scunthorpe.
Posted by: monkeyboy, August 7, 2020, 9:03am; Reply: 12
Just let it be totally open and let them spend as much as they wish! that way eventually clubs like village green will go under solving the problem.
Football is not a play thing so fans of clubs shouldnt let them be toys.
Newcastle fans moan about Mike Ashley but the guy runs the club at a profit and they are in the prem with the future looking safe until someone comes in with mega money and spends like mad, gets bored then sinks the club.
leave them to it.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 7, 2020, 11:00am; Reply: 13
A blanket cap will just send transfer fees, agent fees and signing on fees up.

The rich clubs will still get the best players because they will pay for them instead of waiting for their contracts to expire.

Cost of living is different across the country. £1k per week goes a lot further in Grimsby than it does in Leytonstone so for me, the cap has to be a strict percentage of income with loopholes like selling your ground to the owner closed.
Posted by: Ipswin, August 7, 2020, 11:43am; Reply: 14
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Jimmy Hill would be turning in his grave if he hadn’t been cremated.

Perhaps he's turning in his grate

Posted by: rancido, August 7, 2020, 12:41pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from mimma

Madness

Of course you can spend the money, just not on players wages. Nothing wrong in using the money for improved training facilities, better infrastructure and amenities at the ground.
Posted by: ska face, August 7, 2020, 12:42pm; Reply: 16
Very typical of this board’s way of thinking to try and drag other clubs down rather than pulling ourselves up.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 7, 2020, 1:05pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from ska face
Very typical of this board’s way of thinking to try and drag other clubs down rather than pulling ourselves up.

Hypocrite Dale Vince on twitter talking up salary caps.
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, August 7, 2020, 1:54pm; Reply: 18
been voted in
https://www.efl.com/news/2020/august/squad-salary-caps-introduced-in-league-one-and-league-two/?fbclid=IwAR1J_oqrH64xRNufB40q5LnfOhxputKY1TrOH4eUnJ3pZTH23SKlxKqPsu0

very supprised
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, August 7, 2020, 2:01pm; Reply: 19
Quoted Text
Transition arrangements have been incorporated in respect of a Club’s squad salary cap calculation with the key element of these aimed at addressing committed contracts and relegated Clubs. Any contract entered into on or prior to today’s vote will be capped at an agreed divisional average until that contract expires. Moving forwards, Clubs that are relegated will be permitted to cap all contracts at the divisional average prior to the Club’s relegation until those contracts expire.

Now we know why Scunthorpe were in a hurry to sign players! Did clubs know this before they voted?
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, August 7, 2020, 2:04pm; Reply: 20
So what is this agreed divisional average? How many if any of our squad would be 'capped' freeing up more for new signings.
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, August 7, 2020, 2:06pm; Reply: 21
Limits have been set at £2.5m for League 1 and £1.5m for League 2
Print page generated: May 22, 2024, 4:05pm