Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Yoda, May 5, 2020, 10:18pm
The season should be abandoned plans to restart it are in disarray.
No fans allowed in the ground players don’t want to play I cannot see it restarting.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 5, 2020, 10:42pm; Reply: 1

No one is missing football more than me but this season is over surely, not sure how they will sort out promotion and relegation but it won't affect us so at least we won't feel robbed.

Posted by: denni266, May 6, 2020, 4:05am; Reply: 2
Been thinking the same for a while now. Too many problems to overcome, Even next seasons start date could be put back
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 6, 2020, 7:10am; Reply: 3
Rick Parry can . Only because he’s under pressure from the likes of Leeds . Just shows how far up their own ar.ses football at the top levels are when it’s obvious to everyone this season is over and should be voided !
Posted by: It Bites, May 6, 2020, 7:58am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Yoda
The season should be abandoned plans to restart it are in disarray.
No fans allowed in the ground players don’t want to play I cannot see it restarting.

I said weeks ago that football won't be back in England anytime soon . Fans won't be back until 2021 at the earliest ... Sept 21 at the latest . If you want your football fix Germany is the place to be in the next year or so  .
Posted by: horsforthmariner, May 6, 2020, 11:02am; Reply: 5
I think the Premier League will restart as the TV deals will cost too much not to finish the season. The Government also want it on. They'll need the championship to make the season interesting so I think that'll finish as well. My guess is they'll do it at isolation camps.

But it won't make financial sense to finish league 1 and 2. My guess is that they'll void the season with no promotion and relegation. They might invite Barrow to be the 72nd side.
Posted by: pizzzza, May 6, 2020, 11:44am; Reply: 6
Quoted from It Bites

I said weeks ago that football won't be back in England anytime soon .  

You are such a visionary.
Posted by: dicko995, May 6, 2020, 2:43pm; Reply: 7
France today have declared no contact sports for the rest of 2020, so that will include football. Depends whether the UK follow that path, so I reckon the season and beginning of next season will be over
Posted by: Bigdog, May 6, 2020, 3:03pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Rick Parry can . Only because he’s under pressure from the likes of Leeds . Just shows how far up their own ar.ses football at the top levels are when it’s obvious to everyone this season is over and should be voided !

If we were odds on favourites to get promoted to the Premier League with nine games left you'd not have the same opinion.

Why void one season to start another under a cloud? If the funding of players contracts can be secured somehow and making sure every club in the meantime survives too, I'd rather they cancel season 20/21 and finish off 19/20 from next March. The football world is in far too much of a rush and coming up with so many fantastical unworkable panicky options at the minute. Surely this season could be finished off every game televised, with every player and official being pre-tested for Covid and games played behind closed doors in the next month or two? The fans could be trusted to stay away. clear evidence from the lockdown for that. If that can't happen, then for integrity's sake, let's be patient and wait..
Posted by: Boris Johnson, May 6, 2020, 3:08pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Bigdog

If we were odds on favourites to get promoted to the Premier League with nine games left you'd not have the same opinion.

Why void one season to start another under a cloud? If the funding of players contracts can be secured somehow and making sure every club in the meantime survives too, I'd rather they cancel season 20/21 and finish off 19/20 from next March. The football world is in far too much of a rush and coming up with so many fantastical unworkable panicky options at the minute. Surely this season could be finished off every game televised, with every player and official being pre-tested for Covid and games played behind closed doors in the next month or two? The fans could be trusted to stay away. clear evidence from the lockdown for that. If that can't happen, then for integrity's sake, let's be patient and wait..

I dont get the cancel next season argument at all, clubs wouldnt survive, behind closed doors for the foreseeable future yes.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 6, 2020, 3:14pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Boris Johnson

I dont get the cancel next season argument at all, clubs wouldnt survive, behind closed doors for the foreseeable future yes.

Because until a vaccine for Covid is found, the situation (worldwide managed herd immunity) remains the same as now. The risks will still be there if this season is voided and the next starts on time behind closed doors or not. It makes it so arbitrary. The danger from Covid will still be there in August for season 20/21. So what's the point? By March next year there is a stronger likelihood that we'll all be vaccinated by then and the situation will have completely changed..
Posted by: Boris Johnson, May 6, 2020, 3:23pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Bigdog

Because until a vaccine for Covid is found, the situation (worldwide managed herd immunity) remains the same as now. The risks will still be there if this season is voided and the next starts on time behind closed doors or not. It makes it so arbitrary. The danger from Covid will still be there. So what's the point? By March next year there is a stronger likelihood that we'll all be vaccinated by then and the situation will have completely changed..

Fair point, but clubs would surely struggle to survive, 2 months without Saturdays is bad enough.  Id void this one, get next year ready to go, need to get our Promotion Season going soon as.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, May 6, 2020, 3:28pm; Reply: 12
It's just been announced that the Bundesliga is resuming behind closed doors later this month.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 6, 2020, 3:45pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Boris Johnson

Fair point, but clubs would surely struggle to survive, 2 months without Saturdays is bad enough.  Id void this one, get next year ready to go, need to get our Promotion Season going soon as.

I'm still waiting for the Premier League to announce an increased future share out percentage for EFL clubs, so the foundation and breeding ground for all Premier League clubs remains secure, and the lower league clubs can keep their bank managers happy for as long as it takes.. Simple financial solution which will buy the game of football time.. but I won't hold my breath.. and they'll be back spending 30 mill on average left backs in no time at all as if nothing has ever happened..

Voiding a season with only nine games left is not an honourable option but with the vast majority of clubs having a vested interested in writing off this season, I've got a feeling the integrity of the game will be swept aside and repercussions will be felt for years to come because of it..
Posted by: supertown, May 6, 2020, 4:07pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
It's just been announced that the Bundesliga is resuming behind closed doors later this month.

And we will follow suit a week or two later
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 6, 2020, 4:07pm; Reply: 15
There is no fair way of doing things that all clubs will agree to.

My solution would be the teams in promotion slots go up.

The teams in a play off place carry on and play those games.

The team in relegation places go down or they can have a play off  with the bottom 6 or 8 with  the winners staying up.

Will not be right for some clubs but without finishing the season what is the alternative ?
Posted by: supertown, May 6, 2020, 6:30pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from grimsby pete
There is no fair way of doing things that all clubs will agree to.

My solution would be the teams in promotion slots go up.

The teams in a play off place carry on and play those games.

The team in relegation places go down or they can have a play off  with the bottom 6 or 8 with  the winners staying up.

Will not be right for some clubs but without finishing the season what is the alternative ?

They have played a different number of games, that Is far from fair. Average points per game is a bit fairer but still not ideal. If the season can’t get finished I think they will do this, same as the French have
Posted by: Rik e B, May 8, 2020, 11:59am; Reply: 17
[url]https://norwich.vitalfootball.co.uk/league-one-and-league-two-to-be-abandoned-announcement-next-week/[/url]
Posted by: Boris Johnson, May 9, 2020, 6:28am; Reply: 18
Anyone have any clue how Staff are going to be paid if the season re-starts. With no income from gates, this is another headache for the smaller clubs.  Will Furlough still continue, if clubs start playing again, with no evidence of revenue coming in.
Posted by: Ipswin, May 9, 2020, 7:35am; Reply: 19
Football clubs are no different to any other concern.

For football fans everywhere it would of course be a disaster but if clubs fold then it's no different from the thousands of businesses that will go bust because of the virus lockdown

excrement happens
Posted by: GrimRob, May 9, 2020, 2:00pm; Reply: 20
Every club virtually survived ww2 and this will be the same. Even if the businesses fold the clubs will reform in some guise.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 14, 2020, 10:28pm; Reply: 21
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52665805
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 14, 2020, 10:47pm; Reply: 22

Here's a novel way of filling an empty stadium should football resume behind closed doors...

https://www.borussia.de/english/team/news/borussia-news/news-detailansicht.html?tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=51074&cHash=3e8aa5e15af9658c912e03872cca1789
Posted by: Boris Johnson, May 15, 2020, 2:26am; Reply: 23
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DG8n4CjXkAA_hGL?format=jpg&name=small

anyone remember this
Posted by: Mayaman, May 18, 2020, 11:31am; Reply: 24
The V League in Vietnam will restart 5 June.  I can send you links if you wanna see some crap but quirky footie.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 18, 2020, 1:50pm; Reply: 25
Incidentally, good statement by Day today on the proposals voted in by L2.

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2020/may/club-statement---league-two-club-decision-to-end-season/
Posted by: Posh Harry, May 18, 2020, 2:53pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Mayaman
The V League in Vietnam will restart 5 June.  I can send you links if you wanna see some crap but quirky footie.

Links to Vietnam websites? No thanks, my internet history is dodgy enough thanks 😊
Posted by: Mayaman, May 19, 2020, 1:19pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Posh Harry

Links to Vietnam websites? No thanks, my internet history is dodgy enough thanks 😊

I know the West's view of Vietnam is via Vietnam war movies but we do have YouTube.  Not so dodgy.
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 1:59pm