Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), March 16, 2020, 1:05pm
Am I wrong in thinking there is a hell of a lot of speculation going on re the Corona virus?  I saw yesterday somewhere that there would be 60 Million deaths in the world from this virus  Today I have just seen that the Government have said that any people over the age of 70 who do not self isolate over the 4 months of self isolation that is about to be started, can be fined up to £1000 and if they are tested positive, could go to jail!  I don't understand this, is the whole world going mad?
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, March 16, 2020, 3:30pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from 123614
Am I wrong in thinking there is a hell of a lot of speculation going on re the Corona virus?  I saw yesterday somewhere that there would be 60 Million deaths in the world from this virus  Today I have just seen that the Government have said that any people over the age of 70 who do not self isolate over the 4 months of self isolation that is about to be started, can be fined up to £1000 and if they are tested positive, could go to jail!  I don't understand this, is the whole world going mad?

I think most in the world will agree that the world HAS already gone mad

Posted by: grimsby pete, March 16, 2020, 3:36pm; Reply: 2
Its been a mad world for a long time,

BUT

Regarding the instruction to stay at home for the over 70's  you have to look at the bigger picture,

If you are over 70 and go out spreading the virus putting others in danger as well as yourself puts a big strain on the NHS and other services.

I am over 70 and I am staying in because if my wife catches the virus it would be the end of her as her immune system is very poor.

Then who would I have to boss me about.?
Posted by: paramariner, March 17, 2020, 11:56am; Reply: 3
Think your right Pete, but lets not just think it's the over 70s that need to consider others. My son was telling me today that experts reckon young people may be the carrier's without showing symptons!!!
Posted by: Mayaman, March 17, 2020, 12:05pm; Reply: 4
Yeah, surely the youth shouldn't be going out.  They are the biggest spreaders.  The cold is such a successful virus because it only gives us relatively mild symptoms. As a result we soldier on and go to work feeling groggy. Hence, the common cold gets about a bit (bloody tart).    What I've heard from younger people is that it doesn't affect them, so they feel they can do what they want. Such sacrifice!!  After Fukishima, the elderly in Japan went in to clean a lot of it up knowing it was a death sentence but that they'd had their life.  Now youngsters don't even have to sacrifice themselves but; just moderate behaviour.  Why don't they step up to the plate. If it's no big deal to them, why don't they help out on the front line?  It'll cost 'em a few sniffles.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), March 17, 2020, 1:01pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from grimsby pete
Its been a mad world for a long time,

BUT

Regarding the instruction to stay at home for the over 70's  you have to look at the bigger picture,

If you are over 70 and go out spreading the virus putting others in danger as well as yourself puts a big strain on the NHS and other services.

I am over 70 and I am staying in because if my wife catches the virus it would be the end of her as her immune system is very poor.

Then who would I have to boss me about.?

Oh I'm totally in agreement with you, I'm 74 and haven't been out the house for over a week now, my wife is 70 and she has just popped up the road to get some milk.  My main health problems are Osteoathritis , and PTSD/Anxiety, I have a Pacemaker too, but I'm not sure if they are what is being called, 'underlying health problems'.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 17, 2020, 1:08pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from 123614

Oh I'm totally in agreement with you, I'm 74 and haven't been out the house for over a week now, my wife is 70 and she has just popped up the road to get some milk.  My main health problems are Osteoathritis , and PTSD/Anxiety, I have a Pacemaker too, but I'm not sure if they are what is being called, 'underlying health problems'.

Should imagine whatever you have the pacemaker for is an ‘underlying condition’. All this can’t help your anxiety either.

Take care of yourself.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 17, 2020, 1:17pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from 123614

Yes you do have an underlying health problem  so take care and stay at home mate.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), March 17, 2020, 1:18pm; Reply: 8
Cheers, and you're right, my anxiety is through the roof now!
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 17, 2020, 2:52pm; Reply: 9
Look after yourself B&WB, try and stay positive mate. 👍
Posted by: Ipswin, March 17, 2020, 3:57pm; Reply: 10
Just back with my wife from the dentist and I had to take the car in for MOT yesterday (can't be without it in case I have to take Mrs Swin to hospital or doctors etc) but I took it in before 8am when the hordes turn up

Got a blood test for cancer markers and clotting for pulmonary embolism at my doctors on Monday - how the hell can you stay at home? It's not as easy as it sounds, getting help with shopping is fantastic but is just a part of it.

Struggling to achieve a balance between safety and reasonable risk.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 17, 2020, 6:34pm; Reply: 11
Good luck ipswin, sorry to hear about your situation, stay positive mate. 👍
Posted by: moosey_club, March 17, 2020, 7:17pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from 123614

Cracking......  you are so supposed to be self isolating and seeing as you wasn't we will sentence you to a couple of months in an already overcrowded prison  ;D
Posted by: rancido, March 17, 2020, 7:30pm; Reply: 13
I have health issues and my partner is even worse off with heart disease, angina and is diabetic. I have an elder brother with COPD, who I would love to visit but I daren't. What worries me about him is that if he succumbs to this virus then it will almost certainly be fatal and I won't get the chance to see him or say goodbye. It's not just me as  there must be thousands of others in the same situation. It is so sad and tragic.
Posted by: Ipswin, March 17, 2020, 9:25pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from rancido
I have health issues and my partner is even worse off with heart disease, angina and is diabetic. I have an elder brother with COPD, who I would love to visit but I daren't. What worries me about him is that if he succumbs to this virus then it will almost certainly be fatal and I won't get the chance to see him or say goodbye. It's not just me as  there must be thousands of others in the same situation. It is so sad and tragic.

Feel for you mate, there is more to this 12 week isolation idea (which clearly isn't going to be anywhere near long enough BTW) than just getting someone to do the shopping, impossible decisions and problems the idea just doesn't envisage

Best wishes to all of you, hang in there somehow

Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, March 17, 2020, 9:50pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Ipswin
Just back with my wife from the dentist and I had to take the car in for MOT yesterday (can't be without it in case I have to take Mrs Swin to hospital or doctors etc) but I took it in before 8am when the hordes turn up

Got a blood test for cancer markers and clotting for pulmonary embolism at my doctors on Monday - how the hell can you stay at home? It's not as easy as it sounds, getting help with shopping is fantastic but is just a part of it.

Struggling to achieve a balance between safety and reasonable risk.

Fingers crossed for your test results Swin. Hope you and Mrs Swin are managing to maintain a semblance of sanity whilst staying safe 👍
Posted by: Heisenberg, March 17, 2020, 10:09pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from rancido

That’s heart breaking about your brother. I have a family member in a similar situation, he also has COPD. The nearest we’ll get to him for 3 months is probably a quick chat through a window whilst dropping off food.
Print page generated: May 26, 2024, 12:51pm