Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: The Boys Paddock, September 17, 2019, 9:42pm
Going nowhere with this clown,
Posted by: Grimsby2012, September 17, 2019, 9:46pm; Reply: 1
I agree, you are going nowhere with that comment...
Posted by: Cambs Mariner, September 17, 2019, 9:47pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from The Boys Paddock

Not true. We are going to Stamford Bridge next week. Are you?
Posted by: TAGG, September 17, 2019, 9:47pm; Reply: 3

Come on sort ye self out.
Tonight was a bad night all round, thats the way it goes.
Things are getting better.
Just calm down.
Posted by: Yoda, September 17, 2019, 9:47pm; Reply: 4
Totally agree a chancer who cannot pick a player or organise a team woefull.
Posted by: 139881 (Guest), September 17, 2019, 9:48pm; Reply: 5
I give you a red X
Posted by: MarshMariner, September 17, 2019, 9:49pm; Reply: 6
Grow a brain...
Posted by: CodHead, September 17, 2019, 9:49pm; Reply: 7

Spell unacceptable right you recluse
Where has you rock gone?
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 17, 2019, 9:51pm; Reply: 8
Wouldn't go that far but got neck ache from tonight.
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 17, 2019, 9:53pm; Reply: 9
The usual suspects have surfaced again.

An away game for us tonight against a team backed with money that got lucky to get a win at home to Town  
Posted by: jaygy, September 17, 2019, 9:54pm; Reply: 10
The doom and gloomers are coming back out again! I’m as frustrated as most but we are a mid table side at best and that’s where we are
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 17, 2019, 9:55pm; Reply: 11
I've said it before and I'll say it again....stop feeding this troll...
Posted by: moosey_club, September 17, 2019, 9:57pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from promotion plaice
The usual suspects have surfaced again.

An away game for us tonight against a team backed with money that got lucky to get a win at home to Town  

They won  ;)

ooohh that was a fast edit
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 17, 2019, 9:58pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from moosey_club

They won  ;)

Yeah I know, I modified it straight away, it's an age thing   :)

Posted by: The Boys Paddock, September 17, 2019, 10:01pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from jaygy
The doom and gloomers are coming back out again! I’m as frustrated as most but we are a mid table side at best and that’s where we are

Well if you are happy with that, then fine, because we aint going anywhere with Jolley
Posted by: Mariner_501, September 17, 2019, 10:03pm; Reply: 15
1 point from 3 games
Posted by: jaygy, September 17, 2019, 10:04pm; Reply: 16

Well if you are happy with that, then fine, because we aint going anywhere with Jolley

I’m not saying I’m happy with it but a bit of perspective is needed. We’re playing average to poor and have a record of 3-3-3 this season. Hopefully there’s more to come from this squad of players as they are better than we’ve had the last couple of seasons
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 17, 2019, 10:05pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Mariner_501
1 point from 3 games

True but we'll be the ones that gets Lampard the sack next Wednesday   ;)

Posted by: Yoda, September 17, 2019, 10:08pm; Reply: 18
Jolley was the Carlisle game away from the sack last season.
Allegedly and looks like another one of his bad runs again.
Posted by: The Boys Paddock, September 17, 2019, 10:08pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from jaygy

I’m not saying I’m happy with it but a bit of perspective is needed. We’re playing average to poor and have a record of 3-3-3 this season. Hopefully there’s more to come from this squad of players as they are better than we’ve had the last couple of seasons

only by a short distance, the midfield is terrible, absolutely terrible
Posted by: Maringer, September 17, 2019, 10:10pm; Reply: 20
Yeesh. Troll city here tonight.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 17, 2019, 10:11pm; Reply: 21
Overdue our routine 9 losses in a row anyway.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 17, 2019, 10:18pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Mariner_501
1 point from 3 games

I can see you're a flipping genius with stats!
Posted by: GrimRob, September 17, 2019, 10:25pm; Reply: 23
The troll is gone.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 17, 2019, 10:32pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from GrimRob
The troll is gone.

Which one?  ;D
Posted by: golfer, September 18, 2019, 8:18am; Reply: 25
On paper our squad looks pretty strong-not many [if any] would we want to get rid of so if it is not the players [ who to me seem to run their guts off] what can be the problem. Obviously the players are playing to orders so is it the orders that are wrong
Posted by: Yoda, September 18, 2019, 8:25am; Reply: 26
We have no pace in the team to stretch the opposition or get behind teams.
So we just end up lumping it long to Hanson with no plan B.

Easy to defend and boring to watch.
Our midfield is virtually non existent that’s three games without a goal now.
Very worrying i hope it’s not another losing streak.

Posted by: Mariner Timsky, September 18, 2019, 9:01am; Reply: 27
Thought we scored 2 on Saturday?!? 🤔
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 18, 2019, 9:29am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Thought we scored 2 on Saturday?!? 🤔

Goals resulting from miskicks and by Swedes don't count in Yoda's book!  ;)
Posted by: Rik e B, September 18, 2019, 10:09am; Reply: 29
Funny these boys were nowhere to be seen during our purplish patch, the second a couple of negative results occur they re-emmerge from under their rocks shouting from the rooftops 🙄.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, September 18, 2019, 10:13am; Reply: 30
Quoted from Rik e B
Funny these boys were nowhere to be seen during our purplish patch, the second a couple of negative results occur they re-emmerge from under their rocks shouting from the rooftops 🙄.

Purplish patch? When was that?!?!?

W D L D W W L D L

Have we fallen so low that 2 wins in a row is seen as a great run?
Posted by: Rik e B, September 18, 2019, 10:26am; Reply: 31
Well you can discount the meaningless Trophy game, prior to the last two league matches we were up near the top of the table. Could have been top if beat Chesterfield.

Or was I just imagining all the positivity about the place following our decent start? 🤔
Posted by: marinerjase, September 18, 2019, 10:31am; Reply: 32
Don’t think Chesterfield are in our league, not last time I looked anyway
Posted by: GollyGTFC, September 18, 2019, 10:34am; Reply: 33
Quoted from Rik e B
Well you can discount the meaningless Trophy game, prior to the last two league matches we were up near the top of the table. Could have been top if beat Chesterfield.

Or was I just imagining all the positivity about the place following our decent start?   🤔

The results I quoted were just League Two games. We’ve been bang average and inconsistent- just like last season where Jolley has subsequently admitted Town underachieved.

Personally I don’t think the start has been decent. I think it’s been below the level we should expect.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, September 18, 2019, 10:35am; Reply: 34
Quoted from Rik e B
Could have been top if beat Chesterfield.

And if my Auntie had b o l l o c k s she’d be my Uncle!
Posted by: Rik e B, September 18, 2019, 10:36am; Reply: 35
Crewe sorry 😬🙈
Posted by: Rik e B, September 18, 2019, 10:37am; Reply: 36
Top of national league if beat Chesterfield...
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), September 18, 2019, 10:54am; Reply: 37
Is there a "mute user" function on this site? If not, it needs one.
Posted by: Rik e B, September 18, 2019, 11:04am; Reply: 38
Just had to double check they actually in that league, apparently its called the 'Conference Premier' now.

But the point was not an if but or maybe but that we were in the lofty position to have the opportunity to have possibly gone top, so we must half been in half decent form.
Posted by: marinerjase, September 18, 2019, 11:21am; Reply: 39
Far too much emphasis on league table after handful of games. From 10 games on starts to take shape. You can work out which teams will be there or thereabouts, and any teams that are likely to improve. I personally have us finishing anywhere between 11th and 18th. Is that what people expect/expected before it started? Probably most. Anything better is a bonus. What I would suggest is when injuries, suspensions kick in soon - then we may struggle, particularly if to certain players.

Think there does need to be other options in terms of method, sure they are working on it - BigDog made excellent post on subject in another thread. It is work in progress, and as long as there is progress/development then most will be happy.

But there will always be questions asked, and rightly so.
Posted by: Maringer, September 18, 2019, 11:32am; Reply: 40
Quoted from Rik e B
Just had to double check they actually in that league, apparently its called the 'Conference Premier' now.

"National League" last time I looked. Not the "National League Premier", either, which is confusing as they have the "National League North" and "National League South". They should have stuck with the Alliance Premier League.
Posted by: Ipswin, September 18, 2019, 11:36am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Rik e B

You're getting ahead of yourself - that's next season

Posted by: Ipswin, September 18, 2019, 11:37am; Reply: 42
Quoted from marinerjase
Don’t think Chesterfield are in our league, not last time I looked anyway

Yet

Posted by: barralad, September 18, 2019, 12:51pm; Reply: 43
I doubt we are alone amongst football fans but I expect quite a lot of the green ticks for some of the more negative posts on here were awarded by the same people who were ticking the positive posts after we won at Walsall in the league for the first time since the 19th century.
It's probably entirely normal for such exaggerated swings of the pendulum but it strikes me a lot of people are "guilty" of nothing more than believing hype they've helped to create.
Posted by: RichMariner, September 18, 2019, 1:38pm; Reply: 44
We were top scorers in the league last week. Fans praising the energy and togetherness of the squad. Hanson player of the month. Jolley candidate for manager of the month.

I feel as disappointed as the next fan about the result last night but, blimey, if Jolley really was a useless clown he'd be managing Hereford or something.

Chill the intercourse out. Not every team will put 11 men behind the ball against us.
Posted by: oochiad, September 18, 2019, 1:54pm; Reply: 45
Well said Richmariner. It’s ridiculous these knee jerk reactions........
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), September 18, 2019, 2:20pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from oochiad
Well said Richmariner. It’s ridiculous these knee jerk reactions........

And really boring.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 18, 2019, 2:37pm; Reply: 47
Love the over reactions of a football fan.  Fears that Lincoln will nick Jolley from us less than 2 weeks ago, couple of bad displays and he's the worst manager ever and we need to get rid.

I think our form of 3-3-3 is about right.  Over the course of the season that gives you 60ish points, midtable.  Which is where we are now, with a more or less identical record to the much fancied Plymouth.

The early season optimism was cautiously weighted by many with warnings that we're lacking a creative influence in midfield and we may be too reliant on the aerial prowess of James Hanson.  Those warnings appear to have come to fruition in recent games and we're not as good as our early season form may suggest.  

There's quite a few factors at play in our relative drop in performances.  I think there's a bit of fatigue setting in (Whitehouse, Ogbu and possibly Waterfall all maybe need a break due to adjustment, lack of pre-season or just burn out).  Harry Davis is a big blow because he makes us play a bit more from the back as opposed to Waterfall and Ohman hitting it long most of the time.  We need to keep Hewitt at full-back for his crossing abilities.  I would also like Jolley to look at having people work around Hanson a bit more, he's far too isolated and whilst he may win a lot of headers he doesn't have anyone around him to make use of it.

You solve most of those issues and we're probably a decent side again.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 18, 2019, 4:33pm; Reply: 48
Like most I thought we had better players this year than recently. I have seen 2 good performances so far - against Port Vale and Macclesfield in the League cup.

Every year we think we might do a bit better, but it soon tails off and here we are again one step forward, two steps back. The main improvement this year is a never say die attitude, but I think we should expect more than that.

Over 1000 Town fans went last night, and that staggering statistic hides the fact that we simply cannot get a head of steam up in division 4 and give the likes of Exeter or Crewe a run for their money. If only we could really hit a purple patch that 1000 would become 2000 and the home attendances would start to rise; sadly we cannot seem to get a sustained run going, playing the same way for more than a couple of games at a time.

Personally I think Jolley gives the opposition too much respect and should concentrate on our own weaknesses.

One thing which seems obvious is that the midfield are far too deep, especially Hess who collects the ball from the centre half and gives a 5 yard pass sideways. With respect, I could still do that.
Posted by: Maringer, September 18, 2019, 5:14pm; Reply: 49
I think it is pretty obvious that we've spent a good chunk of our budget on the forwards this season. Hanson and Green will definitely be on a good whack for this division and I wouldn't have thought that Ogbu will have relocated here on the cheap.

Problem is, that doesn't appear to have left much in the way of funding for the rest of the squad to create the chances for these players. Don't get me wrong, I think we have plenty of perfectly capable players throughout the squad and a few promising youngsters as well, but we are lacking threat in wide positions and it doesn't seem that the likes of Vernam have done enough to force themselves into the team.

Ultimately, potential is still there but we need to improve a good deal. If the opposition players are surrounding Hanson with 2 or 3 players to nullify his threat, that leaves space elsewhere and we need to find a way to make use of this. We certainly need to get our players closer to him as there is no point in playing with a target man if there is no support around him to pick up the pieces.

In some ways, it will be better when the Cup games are out of the way as it is pretty usual for lower division teams to struggle in the run up to matches against big clubs. It's not right that professionals should be distracted like this, but we've seen it all too often over the years.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 18, 2019, 9:10pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from diehardmariner
Love the over reactions of a football fan.  Fears that Lincoln will nick Jolley from us less than 2 weeks ago, couple of bad displays and he's the worst manager ever and we need to get rid.

I think our form of 3-3-3 is about right.  Over the course of the season that gives you 60ish points, midtable.  Which is where we are now, with a more or less identical record to the much fancied Plymouth.

The early season optimism was cautiously weighted by many with warnings that we're lacking a creative influence in midfield and we may be too reliant on the aerial prowess of James Hanson.  Those warnings appear to have come to fruition in recent games and we're not as good as our early season form may suggest.  

There's quite a few factors at play in our relative drop in performances.  I think there's a bit of fatigue setting in (Whitehouse, Ogbu and possibly Waterfall all maybe need a break due to adjustment, lack of pre-season or just burn out).  Harry Davis is a big blow because he makes us play a bit more from the back as opposed to Waterfall and Ohman hitting it long most of the time.  We need to keep Hewitt at full-back for his crossing abilities.  I would also like Jolley to look at having people work around Hanson a bit more, he's far too isolated and whilst he may win a lot of headers he doesn't have anyone around him to make use of it.

You solve most of those issues and we're probably a decent side again.

To be fair DHM, are the people having a whinge the same ones who were wondering which Championship clubs we would be playing in League 1 next season?

Either way, I agree, it's too extreme a reaction.
Posted by: bawarmy, September 19, 2019, 12:45am; Reply: 51
Quoted from Mariner_501
1 point from 3 games

Man City 0 points from 1 game . Pep out!
Posted by: Rik e B, September 19, 2019, 4:48am; Reply: 52
12 points from 9 games, 11th in table. Zero cherry picking to suit.
Posted by: forza ivano, September 19, 2019, 9:18am; Reply: 53
Quoted from Rik e B
12 points from 9 games, 11th in table. Zero cherry picking to suit.

and took us until 20 October to get that many points last year, so a month and 4 games better off
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, September 19, 2019, 9:35am; Reply: 54
99% fans said they would take mid table this season, to build on next season.

We are mid table...
Posted by: Rik e B, September 19, 2019, 11:01am; Reply: 55
But you just knew the vocal minority would be out shouting from the rooftops the second a blip occured whatever the expectation...
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 19, 2019, 11:37am; Reply: 56
Quoted from Rik e B
But you just new the vocal minority would be out shouting from the rooftops the second a blip occured whatever the expectation...

What do you want us to do then Rik, settle for mediocrity?

We have had nearly 20 years of being in division 4 or worse; it is right that fans show their displeasure when things are not going as well as we hoped. Do you think the Cowleys, for example,  would have the mindset that because we are not in the relegation zone things "aren't too bad?"

Football is an intense business, as you know and you simply have to be all guns blazing all of the time. Jolley and his team must know that another of his winless runs will be unacceptable, as the loyal fans quite rightly demand more.

I have seen us play well twice this season - but I have been cautiously optimistic because it is clear we have better players. Better players should mean better performances and results, and that is where the manager must earn his wages.

I am not the most patient of people but I have stuck with my home town club for decades even through the non league years, but it is imperative that we see genuine improvement this season and at least try to threaten the play off places.
Posted by: RichMariner, September 19, 2019, 12:01pm; Reply: 57
I'm often accused of 'settling for mid-table' when I try and be pragmatic about our progress, and consider a wider context. I totally get that my sort of attitude could breed complacency, and normalise mid-table as an 'achievement' but I'm also aware that a pursuit for promotion can also breed recklessness and overspending.

It's a difficult balance to get right, and with so many fans having such wildly different demands and expectations it's no wonder players, managers and chairmen often think they can never win.

I'd absolutely love it if we could win automatic promotion. Of course that's what I wish for. I don't wish for mid-table, but if that's where we finish then I won't want to feel massively deflated.

I want to enjoy football — I don't want to accept failure, but a football club isn't totally defined by its achievements on the pitch. Mitchell and Webb parodied Sky Sports in that sketch, but they got it right — football will never end. It'll never be decided who wins the football.

If it's just going to go on and on, then I'll want to enjoy as much of it as I can and not sweat about why we're not top of the table despite other clubs having much more resource than us. For this is the world we now live in.

We're mid-table fourth division with a mid-table fourth division budget. Yes, aim higher, wish for more (I'm sure Jolley and the players aren't deliberately losing to Salford) but try and be realistic about what's possible.
Posted by: rancido, September 19, 2019, 1:12pm; Reply: 58
So , The Boys a Pillock is once again having a go at MJ after a defeat - well that's a surprise! Although I didn't go and consequently can't comment on the actual performance , I at least can mention  two incidents that help to cause a defeat, one of which I saw on tv.. Their goal came about because of a howler by Macca. No matter how you dress it up and regardless of the fact that it may have took a slight deflection, Macca fuc*ed that one up. Then we have Green screwing up what would have been an opportunity to get something out of the game. You can blame MJ for tactics, formation and use of substitutes but no way is he responsible for two acts of stupidity by senior and experienced players.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 19, 2019, 1:51pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from RichMariner
I'm often accused of 'settling for mid-table' when I try and be pragmatic about our progress, and consider a wider context. I totally get that my sort of attitude could breed complacency, and normalise mid-table as an 'achievement' but I'm also aware that a pursuit for promotion can also breed recklessness and overspending.

It's a difficult balance to get right, and with so many fans having such wildly different demands and expectations it's no wonder players, managers and chairmen often think they can never win.

I'd absolutely love it if we could win automatic promotion. Of course that's what I wish for. I don't wish for mid-table, but if that's where we finish then I won't want to feel massively deflated.

I want to enjoy football — I don't want to accept failure, but a football club isn't totally defined by its achievements on the pitch. Mitchell and Webb parodied Sky Sports in that sketch, but they got it right — football will never end. It'll never be decided who wins the football.

If it's just going to go on and on, then I'll want to enjoy as much of it as I can and not sweat about why we're not top of the table despite other clubs having much more resource than us. For this is the world we now live in.

We're mid-table fourth division with a mid-table fourth division budget. Yes, aim higher, wish for more (I'm sure Jolley and the players aren't deliberately losing to Salford) but try and be realistic about what's possible.

Good post RichMariner

The demands & expectations part in particular for me

Every time I see Town I would like them to play well / compete and of course hope that they win, but I certainly don't expect it and even less demand success

There are no certainties ever with this game and as long as I see effort aplenty rather than a lot of the apathy we had a few years back, I'm prepared to wait for better days ( if they ever come?? )

UTM GTID
Posted by: Rik e B, September 19, 2019, 2:38pm; Reply: 60
Lews lover I'm simply stating that some people go way overboard after a bad result or two - and it appears the footballing God's were against us the last game somewhat. We had a solid start prior to that, that's what makes the sudden negative judgements a bit silly in my eyes.

We could play cack and scrape wins, or play poor and win so (in my humble opinion) its best not to jump to conclusions so quickly and definitely not to an extreme of bad or good.

As Rich says we've a mid table fourth division budget and that's about where we sit, should we accept that? - Well that's for each individual to decide but I'll only start getting vocal if we grossly underachieving, probably mutter a little but try to stay positive if we slightly so.

For the record I think we stronger with finally a more virile attack but I do have some concerns about our squad - we far from the finished article. And as for Jolley himself I like what he's trying to implement and get a sense of his greater vision, I think he's good for the place but he's cutting his teeth still and I sometimes finf myself scratching my head thinking what's he playing at.

I certainly don't think itching to rip it all up and start again would be the best course of action right now, we finally building bridges, a comeradery between the player's and supporter's, not seen since the days of Hursty's hero's.

And we all know of the dark days between and the couldn't-care-less mercenaries that were shipped in and what nearly happened.

Miracoulsy stopped by Jolley of course.

Any mention of the board best left seperate from this post 😂 - on that point I prone to vent spleen!
Print page generated: May 5, 2024, 5:46pm